PDA

View Full Version : VERY Old Long Hair Images!!

coddswaddle
November 30th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I apologize if these are reposts, but I recently discovered these images online and just had to share!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2567/4148263245_c5ec9c9a27_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2661/4149022132_4bd31c1753_o.jpg

Could you even imagine what it would take to create the 1st ones?!

Aer
November 30th, 2009, 06:52 PM
These are cool. It probably took an unimaginable amount of time to get those hair styles. I read that although in Victorian times they were very much into long hair, that they mostly likely had really damaged hair. Mostly because they did all sorts of crazy things to their hair to get them in those styles, they used heating tools and harsh substances. But those styles were really cool. I would try them if there was a gentle non damaging way to do it.

spidermom
November 30th, 2009, 07:15 PM
And don't forget hair pieces and rats and forms of various types. That's not all natural hair.

frodolaughs
November 30th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Going even further back, I've read about hair in Elizabethan times--many women suffered from lots of damage and hair loss because of the things they did to dye it. Long hair styles are not necessarily the same as healthy hair styles (and that isn't new!)

Fairlight63
November 30th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I have read that a lot of the time when they would have really big & elebrate hairdo's that they would leave them up for weeks at a time & they would get "creatures" living in their hair. UCK!

Lamb
November 30th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Could you even imagine what it would take to create the 1st ones?!
Lots of false hair. :p

talecon
November 30th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I really like the geisha hairstyles mostly because of the hair ornaments ;)

talecon
November 30th, 2009, 08:53 PM
the second one on the left looks like a bird is on her head with the wings open

Friesiangirl
November 30th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Woah. Neat, but not my cup of tea. A little too over the top, but awesome nonetheless.

Hayley

Sister13
November 30th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Yah, they definitely had wig and hairpiece action back then. Not so much with constant hairwashing I understand.

Wavelength
November 30th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Wigs. Mostly wigs. And hairpieces.

Tressie
November 30th, 2009, 11:27 PM
And don't forget hair pieces and rats and forms of various types. That's not all natural hair.

What spidermom said! :D

Thanks for sharing. I love the real photo!

myotislucifugus
December 2nd, 2009, 02:40 PM
I really like the geisha hairstyles mostly because of the hair ornaments ;)

Me too. I always have at least 2 hair pins in my hair, mostly with big sparklies, or nature designs. And I love vintage hair combs

heidi w.
December 2nd, 2009, 04:13 PM

DITTO.

I have some old ads showing products available where the hair is already in a styled form, and one simply pins it on. Quite complex forms, and the ad will then show different ways the same form can be added to hair (positioning, turning), and other ads show the variety of styles of forms one can purchase ready made.

In fact, in that era they didn't always even use real human hair. Lots of stuff was done with horse hair!

Fake hair is nothing new. Using other people's (or animal's) hair is also nothing new.

heidi w.