PDA

View Full Version : Brushing my hair seems to keep it clean!

Latin Tea
November 30th, 2009, 04:09 PM
I new here and feel kinda silly saying this, but I used to use a brush with those hard plastic tips. I found this forum and decided to be nicer to my hair. I went to Target and they had a Boar & Nylon brush on sale so I bought it and absolutely love what it does for my hair. Just brushing seems to move the oils throughout. It's like oiling the ends naturally. I just wash the brush to get rid of any residue. I love to brush my hair now. Seems like a little thing, but it's really enjoyable. Just wanted to share that. :)

Bunnyhare
November 30th, 2009, 04:39 PM
So glad you found us! that is a tried and true method for lots of folks here...enjoy reading around, you will learn lots of things about being nicer to your hair and keeping it healthy! Happy Growing!

spidermom
November 30th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Terrific! Sometimes I indulge in a good brushing just before washing my hair, but I use a paddle brush with soft rubbery bristles (Goody Jojoba Infused).

Debra83
November 30th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Tangle Teaser for me!!! I still love it!!!

piratejenny23
November 30th, 2009, 05:37 PM
welcome, and i am glad you found a nice brush for yourself!

i've had a paddle brush with wooden bristles for years, bought because a friend said it helped distribute oil down the length of your hair, but it felt like it was scraping my scalp...i recently read that cheesecloth, wrapped around your hairbrush, can help clean your hair. so i swathed my brush with yards of cheesecloth so that only 1/4 of the bristle is exposed, and now it's nice and cushiony :cloud9:

i also can't put more than a few drops of oil in my hair without looking like i got attacked by a Vaseline monster, but i can put 4-5 drops of oil on the cheesecloth and it gets distributed very lightly.

embee
November 30th, 2009, 07:18 PM
There's a whole group somewhere in this community who do not wash hair, but use their natural oils only. I tried this the better part of one winter and was amazed at how well it worked. My hair didn't look very pretty loose, but since I'm an updo person that didn't much matter to me. It sure did behave nicely in any updo I tried. :)

Look for threads on Sebum Only.

ericthegreat
November 30th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Welcome Latin Tea to LHC! I agree with embee's post.

There are a variety of ways to keep your hair orderly and well kept. You don't necessarily have to follow the age old "shampoo twice and then conditioner" routine. As embee mentioned, there is a whole group of people here that do not so much as let water touch their hair.

And actually Latin Tea, you have really re-discovered the very ancient way that many people used to care for their hair. Up until say the beginning of the early 1900s, most people bathed less than once a week. They washed their hair even less often. They cleaned their hair in the very way that you are doing right now, by brushing their hair frequently to naturally brush out the dirt. Since everyone washed their hair less often, their scalps compensated by producing less oil. As long as they cleaned their brushes, they could maintain a relatively clean head of hair and scalp.

adiapalic
November 30th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Welcome to LHC Latin Tea :)

When I first came here, one of the best things I found out about was the boar bristle brush! I love using it to brush my hair as well--and it really does distribute the oils and clean dust out of hair.

:flower:

Latin Tea
December 1st, 2009, 05:08 AM
Thank you for making me feel at home here. I was hesitant to post thinking it was, well, just brushing my hair afterall. Good to know I'm doing the right thing. I may have to look into getting an even better brush as this one still has nylon in it.

I have looked into trying the WO routine and did try it for about a week, but I guess my old habits are pretty ingrained in me. I am washing less and using CO at times. I still have all the build up though. I've had it for so long that I don't see that it really will ever go away. But I'll keep trying.

embee
December 1st, 2009, 07:45 AM
A lot depends on your own skin/hair/oil quality. When I was young (20s - 40s) I really was an oily mess and my hair needed washing "all the time". Now my skin/hair oiliness has changed. I do not need to wash me or my hair nearly as often, and all soap stuff is questionable - it's so drying to my skin now, especially in winter. That's all still sorta new, I still think of "me" as a grease-ball! ;)

Many people on this board have found that sticking with a new routine for a while is helpful. The first shot may not give a true result.

Of course there are some things you can tell at once "This does NOT work for me" - like me and the baking-soda rinse... I couldn't comb my hair after, it had set up like it had glue in it. Talk about snapping and breaking and tangles.... Gah! Most unexpected, but that's what I found. So that method was simply a FAIL for me.

You might try stretching out your washes by one more day. Or diluting your shampoo with a lot of warm water... I do mine in a big plastic cup. Or simply cutting out one of the two latherings. That "squeaky clean" thing is not essential!

Enjoy! :)