PDA

View Full Version : Still normal shedding (maybe TMI pic)

Gothic Lolita
November 30th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I've been worried about how much I shed lately, especially after washing. I wash 3x a week, with a diluted mild shampoo and condition, AVC rinse. While and after washing I pull out many strands, although usually brush before. I'm a bit over tailbone length now.

Here is a picture of the shed hair in the "hair net thingie". might be gross for some.... :(

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e390/Destillat/100_1888.jpg

Is this still normal? I've worn my hair up since I last washed it Saturday morning and untangled maybe 2 times. So I'm wondering if this much hair is a normal amount of shedding or if I should get worried.

Longlocks3
November 30th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Lately, I've been getting about half that amount everyday(I wash almost everyday and detangle). I'm experiencing seasonal shed, coming off hormonal birth control and trying out shampoo bars.

I wouldn't worry if it's only slightly more than you normally shed, or if something in your routine has changed.

venividibxtchy
November 30th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I can easily shed that amount or more when I wash my hair, and it's been that way for many years for me. Different shampoos (bar vs liquid, different conditioners, etc.) do seem to affect how much.

Do you get handfuls when you comb your hair, too?

Edit: Another consideration, if you've noticed more shedding over a longer period of time, is that it may look like you shedding more, simply because your hair has grown longer.

RancheroTheBee
November 30th, 2009, 11:24 AM
No, that doesn't really look worrisome to me at all. I've had a few sheds like that in the last little while. If you keep getting that amount of hair, daily, even while you're not washing, it might be cause for concern. :)

Gumball
November 30th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Also remember when hair bunches up like that in the catcher that it will seem like a larger volume given that the strands are longer and take up more space individually. I don't think it looks bad. :flower: Even four long strands can loop around and around in a little pile and look like a wad that might have ten hairs in it.

vampodrama
November 30th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Looks like my regular shed, so I think you're fine :P

Medievalmaniac
November 30th, 2009, 11:44 AM
it's normal to shed between 50 - 100 hairs per day....so that looks reasonable. If you stretched it out instead of balling it up, it is probably not as much as you think.

Honey39
November 30th, 2009, 12:25 PM
I shed a lot more than that every day! Admittedly the shower is the only place now I detangle, but I lose more, have done all my life, and I have really thick hair!

Gothic Lolita
November 30th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Thanks everyone for telling me that this is pretty normal! :flower: You know, with hair being one of our community hobbies we tend to obsess over tiny things..... Sometimes being told that you're normal is really all you want to hear and I now believe that it just looks like much because my hair has grown! That's acutally quite positive when I think about it :D :cheese:

Shastrix
November 30th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I've been worrying a little about shedding and whether it is normal (baldness runs in half my family shudder:) but I have explained it away thus:

I have started wearing my hair up all the time and sleeping with it plaited each night, so hairs that would normally fall out are kept in. I've tried to brush less as I used to just sit with my boar bristle brush and idly stroke away when watching TV, so again, hairs aren't being being liberated. As a consequence of wearing my hair up and not brushing it frequently my hair doesn't need washing as frequently; the end result is a lot more hair in the plug hole and my wide-toothed comb when conditioning and a lot less elsewhere (such as around the sofa (those hardwood floors show up everything (ooh parentheses :)))).

Islandgrrl
November 30th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I think that looks pretty normal. Remember that the longer your hair is, the worse it looks. I don't shed any more hairs now than I did at APL, it just looks way scarier!

Aer
November 30th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Totally normal, I get this all the time.

spidermom
November 30th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Judging by the way I find shed hairs all over the house when I clean, and the size of the wads I have to clean out of the drain from time to time, I'd say that's probably a normal amount to shed. But I don't really know because I just plain don't pay attention to mine. Try not to worry; that will make shedding worse. Just be happy and healthy.

halo_tightens
November 30th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Looks fine to me, too.

I shed that much or more with every wash, and have for as long as I can remember. My hair is still as thick as it ever was!

My mom actually asked me recently if I lose a lot of hair when I wash it. It turns out that she does too, and also has just as much hair as she ever had.

I don't think a thing of it! I hope you can alleviate your worries here. :)

Peter
November 30th, 2009, 09:19 PM
It looks normal to me, especially if you've worn your hair up for 2 days. I wouldn't worry about it; you've got beautiful hair. :)

Sister13
November 30th, 2009, 09:55 PM
That seems like normal shed. It's all part of the cycle of hair life.

Maybe check your scalp to see if the hair's shedding in patches that could indicate anything worrisome.

Hydrilus
December 1st, 2009, 12:40 AM
Honestly that doesn't look like that much at all, and I know how you feel about being told that it's normal. Not sure if you saw it but when I once pulled this tangled knot out of my hair with no resistance, I kinda freaked out a bit and made a topic like this asking if it was normal. Luckily, many have done the same thing and it's not as big a deal as you normally think. :D

Hiriel
December 1st, 2009, 06:26 AM
Looks perfectly normal to me, I shed loads. I'm a iii, like you, and my take on this is; if I have more hair than average, I will shed more than average too ;)
(And clean the shower drain more than average too.. Sigh..)

vampodrama
December 1st, 2009, 08:49 AM
The thing with long hair shedding is that the longer it gets, the scarier the shed amount looks (simply because the hair is longer). I used to think that I never shed any hairs when my hair was an inch long and bleached, but that's probably not true. One inch long white hairs tend to be less noticeable than BSL length dark red ones XD