PDA

View Full Version : Day One Styles (or maybe Day Zero)

eccentricquirks
April 24th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Ok, this is for those who don't wash every day......

I count the day I wash as "Day One". Some here might call it Day Zero. Its seriously the worst hairstyle day of the calendar. My mom loves it - "oh I can always tell when your hair is clean! You wear it down!".

This is because Day One/Zero is also the day my hair is the stiffest, most non cooperative mass of *expletive* I can think of. I CO, so its not like its been stripped of all moisture. But it just doesn't want to play. I've been trying everything I can think of to keep it up so that it isn't getting damaged on Day One/Zero, and short of a pony bun, which I'm not a hugemungous fan of, I'm at a loss.

French rolls are completely out of the question. Been there, tried that. I'm wondering how many ladies and gents out there do peacock type flips? Perfect day for it, really, would probably reach phenominal heights. I'm also wondering what other people do on this non-cooperative day.

amaiaisabella
April 24th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Ugh, I hate the first day. I put it in a low ponytail to take out some of the puff, or I twist it and clip with a claw before taking it down.

Sometimes I will do two buns like Princess Leia, over each ear, but mine are very small and don't look good, so I don't go out in them. I also like the low pigtail braids, which are nice at keeping the hair together.

eadwine
April 24th, 2008, 11:44 AM
My 10sec quick bun, it is in the articles. Works with ANY hair, squeaky clean or butt dirty :)

Periwinkle
April 24th, 2008, 11:57 AM
I hate that. I always have to tie my hair back in a ponytail. No other option: it's too frizzy for words.

Patrycja
April 24th, 2008, 11:58 AM
I,too,hate day zero hair.I tend to over oil or over condition with my Giovanni leave-in and by the end of the day-I have DD3 hair LOL

But,what I've been doing to try to keep my hands off to tame the wash day wildness is the low pigtails like amaiaisabella mentioned,I just don't braid mine due to my layers.I also do a sock bun if I want it all up off my neck and shoulders.

florenonite
April 24th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I do a cinnamon bun when it's still quite damp otherwise I can't get it to do anything

heidihug
April 24th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I love Day One hair, so it appears I am the exception. It's clean and soft and easy to style, and I don't have to worry about how the hair closest to my head appears so oily (which is the case any day after Day One). And I welcome the added volume, I have such flat hair. On Day One I always try to put it up in a new hairstyle - something I haven't tried before, because I know it will stay; other days it can be hit or miss.

Irishred
April 24th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Ah ... clean hair vs. up-dos :luke:

I concurred this a long time ago.:cheese:I usually wash my hair every 5-7 days. Yes day one hair is a pain sometimes as it tends to be more fly away than later hair but I have just as much trouble with over oily day before wash hair. I concurred it though. I wash with the plan to leave it down.

I usually wash late in the afternoon (advantage of being a SAHM I guess). Then it has time to dry before bed and I am done with all but supper for chores (most of the time that is) so leaving it down to dry is not a big issue. I also like to wash Saturday night so I feel comfortable leaving it down on Sunday for church. Sometimes I will end up washing Sunday morning but I hate going out with wet hair :rolleyes: That is if my wash schedule isn't messed up.:shrug:

granitbaby
April 24th, 2008, 04:39 PM
A funny thing is that pre-LHC Day Zero was the only day my hair looked good and now is it the other way around. Dy zero my otherwise pretty straight hair turns in to at frissy, wavy mess!:confused:
Most up does are impossible, I usually put it up in a dolphin clip and wait for better days to come:)

Angela_Rose
April 24th, 2008, 05:50 PM
My Wash Day hair is... wait, it's here trying to take over my keyboard! Aghhhhh! In all seriousness, though, my hair likes to go fuzzy on me when first it's washed. i WO'd it this morning.

Carolyn
April 24th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I'm an exception too. Day One is my only decent hair day. I wash every 2-3 day. I love Day One hair and simply deal with days 2 and 3. I love the clean feeling which I only get on Day One. I can only wear it down on Day One. My buns and braid look nicer with no scalp hair separation on Day One :shrug: I'm basically a straightie so I think that makes a difference.

rubyredslippers
April 24th, 2008, 11:07 PM
My hair is always exceptionally frizzy the day of a wash (or after a wash, if I wash it in the evening). There's not a lot (or anything, actually) that I can do about it. :luke: I default to a half-up, or braided pigtails, or a cinnamon-bun. Something that won't leave a dent in my hair until the next wash.

Hypnotica
April 24th, 2008, 11:55 PM
I wash in the evening and damp-bun it over night, so I don't have that problem.

OTOH, my hair is the weirdest thing around.

Miss Murphy
April 25th, 2008, 01:20 AM
I hate my hair when it's freshly washed, too. It is just so soft that I can't do anything with it, except put it in a pony or braid.
This has gotten better now that I use poo bar, but I could still do without.

Katze
April 25th, 2008, 01:34 AM
mine is mostly better, so I guess I'm the exception, but sometimes worse when freshly washed - it depends on how I have washed it and dried it. I wash every 3-4 days as my hair and scalp need.

The silkiest, smoothest "day one" (I shower/wash nights, so it really is "the first day") is if I WO and go to bed with damp hair in a towel or hoodie. My hair doesn't really get as clean with WO as with CWC, but it seems to be better moisturized, so I WO every other wash.

Normal CWC washes get my hair much cleaner than CO ever did - day one was worse "no poo" - but occasionally my hair is huge.

On "big hair" days I try to enjoy it as wild as it sometimes gets. My hair is messy to begin with, so if it's really bad, I twist/fold it up into a huge updo and wear a headband to contain the front.

n3m3sis42
April 25th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Hmmm, my Day One hair is reallllly nice with shampoo bars. When I was doing no-poo, not so much.

Gecko
April 25th, 2008, 06:01 AM
My hair is very soft, silky, and hard to put up that day. I love how it feels, but then it's not as long as I want it and I've gotten into the bad habit of feeling that it needs to be up even though I like how it feels, so I might put styling product or oil in so I can put it up.

lora410
April 25th, 2008, 06:35 AM
What about a Gibson tuck? That would work well for un-behaving hair :D