PDA

View Full Version : 'Nother Bangs Question....

thankyousir74
November 29th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Hey there LHC peeps!

I've been thinking about getting bangs for a while now... Mainly because now I can do updos and I feel a little weird with no kinda short strands here and there. I know that there are all sorts of pros and cons with bangs, but my biggest con is the fact that getting them would take away from total thickness. But i kinda want a change. but I won't do it on impulse. And I kinda don't know if i really would like the way they would look on me or not....

So. I want help! I also would like to know my "face shape" so I took a pic without any hair around it.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1435&pictureid=56457
So what is Exhibit A's face shape?

and

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1435&pictureid=56456
Would Exhibit B look awesome with bangs?

PS I have no worries of looking "younger", many people think I'm older than I actually am already.

Thank you all :D

ETA: another picture to help come to an opinoin:

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs025.snc3/11262_180997432122_668992122_3053833_5230789_n.jpg

CrisDee
November 29th, 2009, 06:00 PM
My personal opinion only - your face is so nice without them that I wouldn't cut them. You have a good shape for it to all be off your face - if you want some pizzaz at the front, can you take a couple bobby pins and do one of those poofy things? (I'm old, I'm sure there's a better term than "poofy things" :D)

embee
November 29th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Two points about bangs -

1) When I was your age they made my skin break out.... and needed washing every single day of the world. Even then they looked greasy by lunchtime.

2) They were a royal pain to grow out.

SimplyViki
November 29th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Looks to me like you have a slight heart shape. I think. I can't even figure out what my own face shape is, though, so don't mind me. But as the others say, you look very nice without bangs.

Your hairline is a very nice shape, too, and bangs would hide that.

AmericanWoman
November 29th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Hmmm. I wore bangs for 25 years and grew them out. Well I guess I've got used to the way I look without them, because i cut them last year (they were past shoulder length) and I didn't like them. Now I have to deal with tieing them back. And I can't just whip my hair in a ponytail without clipping the bangs back, iut looks .. blech otherwise. ( the word scrubwoman comes to mind) So think about it very carefully. The's something to be valued in being able to have all your hair long enough to put in a ponytail without monkeying around with too short growing out bangs. :0

Curlsgirl
November 29th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Weeeeeeelllllll maybe I am partial but I think you would look really cute with bangs. I think it would soften your face a lot even though you are adorable like you are! If you do light bangs it wouldn't take away from your thickness much. Yes you have to be ready to hate them and grow them out if you do. But you will never know until you try them. I have had bangs more than not in my life and mostly they are not much trouble. I LOVE the way they soften my face and you can always pin them back or something if they get in your way too. Just my opinion!

Oh and if mine get dirty or greasy I can wash them only and dry them in a snap with a blowdryer since I keep them trimmed it is easy peasy. And in the morning if they are wonky (they usually aren't actually) I can use an iron if I want to.

melikai
November 30th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Your hair has gotten so long!

I think you'd look nice with bangs - or maybe just some face-framing pieces.

Your face is somewhat heart shaped, I believe.

intothemist1999
November 30th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Two points about bangs -

1) When I was your age they made my skin break out.... and needed washing every single day of the world. Even then they looked greasy by lunchtime.

I opted back to bangs, and don't regret it. I have oily skin, too, so I use loose or pressed powder all the time, and sometimes even do a pat of it on the bangs if they are starting to look greasy.

Don't forget this gem: doing a bangs-only wash! I learned that here, of course, and it's something I'd never have thought of. It's been great when it was just my bangs that needed cleaning, or if I was having a "bad bangs day". It's so quick 'n easy!

PurpleAshes
November 30th, 2009, 07:56 AM
I think you look better without bangs :)

mellie89
November 30th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I think you look great without them, but if you want a change, I second the idea of face-framing pieces. My old bangs are currently chin-length, and it's actually quite flattering. (I hate having all of my hair pulled back, it's too severe looking on me.)

If you get annoyed with them, you'll know that bangs aren't for you. They add nice shape without cutting a ton of layers.

Juneii
November 30th, 2009, 12:51 PM
bangs are nice, I was hesitant about them too because they really were a pain to grow out and they were finally growing out of the awkward stage. but they really do soften the face - especially when it is back in a bun or ponytail.

ultimately it's up to you. if you don't think it's deathly embarrassing to grow them out then I say go for it, you only know if you try.

Toadstool
November 30th, 2009, 01:46 PM
You look so attractive without: don't do it!
but then of course you could always just grow them out again if you didn't like them!

Clarisse
November 30th, 2009, 03:01 PM
You have such a pretty face! I wouldn't cut in bangs - and especially not heavy bangs. They would completely hide your forehead and hairline, and that would be a shame. And they would be a pain to grow out too.
But perhaps some superthin, longish, sideswept "wispies" would be nice and soften up a bit. Ultimately, it is up to you. Post pictures, if you decide to cut in anything :D

Arctic_Mama
November 30th, 2009, 03:22 PM
You hav a heart shaped face, I think. I would also recommend bangs - sideswept bangs cut a little longer than eye length would look really flattering on you, I think :)

jesamyn
November 30th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I think you look great without bangs, but I think the long sideswept variety would look really nice on you as well.

thankyousir74
December 9th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Hey y'all!

Thank you for all the feedback and especially thank you for all the nice comments, they really do make me feel better :flower:

I was never a heavy bangs person and the majority of my life I did have face framing wispies... maybe I'll do them, i'm still on the fence about them... I'm not afraid of growing them out, but I kinda wanted to see what it was like to have my hair all the same length
but I dunno... I think I'm going to cut them soon.

I want the change especially since I'm doing nothing but updo's lately, and either way once I get to TB I will maintain it there for a while before going on to terminal, so that'll be my chance to grow them out further if I am unhappy with them :D

I will post pictures once I get them :)

pinchbeck
December 9th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Your face suits not having bangs. I believe bangs will shorten your face and you'll loose those wavy face framing pieces. Keep your hair the way it is and try not to give into impulses that will have natural consequences you're not happy with.

pinchbeck
December 9th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Hey y'all!

Thank you for all the feedback and especially thank you for all the nice comments, they really do make me feel better :flower:

I was never a heavy bangs person and the majority of my life I did have face framing wispies... maybe I'll do them, i'm still on the fence about them... I'm not afraid of growing them out, but I kinda wanted to see what it was like to have my hair all the same length
but I dunno... I think I'm going to cut them soon.

I want the change especially since I'm doing nothing but updo's lately, and either way once I get to TB I will maintain it there for a while before going on to terminal, so that'll be my chance to grow them out further if I am unhappy with them :D

I will post pictures once I get them :)
No wisps!:D

thankyousir74
December 14th, 2009, 11:40 AM
So I cut my own bangs, like I have all the other times in my life, but this time, they came out a bit odd. I think it's probably because I cut them dry this time instead of wet. Hopefully then look better after a washing, because they are acting very weird.

Maybe this was a mistake, but I cut it and there's not much else I can do except worth with it, because I'm sure as heck not cutting anymore.

I'll post pictures later... if it works out. If not, I'm going to go cry in my room. Not really, but I'll be pretty upset. Bright side, I don't have to go back to school for another 3 weeks, so the problem will have most likely corrected itself by then.

Gypsygirl
December 14th, 2009, 11:44 AM
What curlsgirl said! :)

I think you're going to look very cute with bangs.