PDA

View Full Version : I cut and I HATE it.

mommat04
November 28th, 2009, 05:46 PM
I'm new to the LHC. I found it by researching faster ways to promote hair growth. I've been sick and in morning for the last three weeks. I had hair down to the middle of my back and then my hair dresser thought a cute pixie would be nice. OH MY GOSH...IT IS HORRIBLE. I've been sobbing for weeks now. I hate it so bad that my stomach hurts when I look in the mirror. Now I have to grow out this horrible cut and it's going to take so so long. I need to know what makes hair grow faster? If anything? And some support in my hair growing journing. I could seriously just die I hate it so bad. Anyone have fast growing out stories?!?!?

Katurday
November 28th, 2009, 05:58 PM
First of all - take a deep breath. Most of us - I included - have been down the horrible haircut route, and the first step is the hardest. De stress.
Try not to think about how bad it is. I know that is difficult now, but honestly, stressing yourself out will only be demerital to hair growth. Take a hot bath, meditate, laugh about it...Whatever you need to do for the time being.

Now, here's the reality check. Most of the people here would be awestruck if they could just do something or take something to boost their hair growth. Unfortunately, there is nothing sold or in exsistance that is guranteed to speed up the growth of hair. We do, however, spend a lot of time here to maximise growth potential.

Take your vitamins, excercise, eat healthy, drink water, sleep as much as you need to. Essentially, living right will make your hair grow as fast as it can. Stress, malnutrition...All of those can slow down hair growth, and even make hair fall out.Not good.

Try to steer clear of damage later on, but for now...Don't think too hard about it. Use all the styling products you can to make yourself feel better about this haircut. Eventually, you will have enough growth to cut the damage out, but for now, your hair is short enough that any damage will be insignificant.

Check out the Monistat and Biotin threads. You never know, some find success in these methods. =)

Use barettes, clips, and headbands to keep your hair out of your face and to forget about it. You'd be surprised how much growth you get when you don't pay attention. This is the watched pot theory at its best, here.

Growing hair takes years, dedication, frustration and motivation. There will be times when you will feel terrible, and there will be times where you will feel great. Don't worry, hair grows, time passes. We all get to our goals eventually. Stay healthy, stay happy, and you will be there in no time.

-Kat

Fractalsofhair
November 28th, 2009, 06:01 PM
If it is REALLY that hard, getting clip in extensions for special occasions might help. (The sew in ones are bad and damage your real hair. However, clip in ones for occasional(few times a week) might make you feel a lot better with very little damage.) Or a wig even. They make realistic ones.

It will take a while, but now that you've found LHC, your hair will be even better than before! :)

Kat gave you some good basic advice as well.

Medievalmaniac
November 28th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Awwww, I'm so sorry for your loss. :( But you have found a great source of inspiration and encouragement with this board. It will be a long road ahead of you, but hang in there! We'll all be rooting for you.

As someone who also had her chair chopped up to her ears just four and a half years ago, and had hair just past her shoulders two years ago, I can tell you I have been there, done that, and I know how discouraged you feel right now - but I also know you can do this!!

redneckprincess
November 28th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I hear you...19 months ago I was given a hair cut I hated..hated...hated and it too made me cry to look at myself

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll211/redneckprincess78/hair/May21_08.jpg

I found this place last Dec. but wasnt active for some time while in the meantime I did anything I could to help speed up growth...
the best things I have learned

#1 Stick with LHC learn every thing about everything on here and find what works best for you

#2 medication...there are many diffrent ones people use depending on price and preffrence...my favorite are BIOTIN..GELATIN...and PRENATEL VITIMANS (not pregnant)

#3 scalp massages and weekly hair treatments of some kind...I (right now) am using SMT (*I'll have to find the link for you)

#4 paitence and lots of it...I know at your length its hard...but pull up a seat, make some new friends learn some new things and when you can see pictures spend some time looking at as many albums as you can to get inspired

oh and this should have been #1 do.not.cut.your.hair that will only prolong that length that much longer

Kris Dove
November 28th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Hope you're feeling a bit better now following your sickness.*

I've also had a pixie that I hated, and I agree with the advice given above.

Try to steer clear of damage later on, but for now...Don't think too hard about it. Use all the styling products you can to make yourself feel better about this haircut. Eventually, you will have enough growth to cut the damage out, but for now, your hair is short enough that any damage will be insignificant.Indeed. Straighteners and highlights made me feel so much better about my appearance when my hair was still very short and I was down in the dumps about it. Once I'd grown it to about shoulder length about a year and a half later I stopped highlighting and cut down my use of the straighteners.

As soon as it was long enough to tie into ponies and even before that, bunches(low ponies on either side behind my ears), I did this and added a bauble with a big flower for a more girly look.

*You mentioned you were sick in the mornings... is this pregnancy related morning sickness, because if it is, firstly congratulations, and secondly, some potentially good news- pregnancy hormones can also make hair grow faster for some women!

Coriander
November 28th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I've been growing out from a very short cut since 2004. (With a couple of 7+ inch chops in there).

Maintain your health with vitamins and water. Check out the Mega-Tek, Ovation Cell Therapy, Monistat and biotin information. People have had varying results with those things.

The best thing, though, (and I'm sorry if you've heard this before), is that hair grows back. Now that you know what you want, I'm sure you will get there faster than you think! :)

Welcome to the boards. :flower:

jahof45
November 28th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Oh, I feel your pain...I've been there too. One haircut was so bad I refused to go out for a couple weeks until it had started to look like it was growing a little. I agree with the others, take a deep breath and try to decompress. Get some gel and spike it out, color it a funky color, etc. Do every outlandish thing you've ever wanted to this short haircut. Try to have some fun with it while you watch it grow.

Bellona
November 28th, 2009, 07:17 PM
I'm so sorry your haircut didn't turn out to your liking. I know what you're going through - I had my almost waist length hair butchered into a very unflattering short shag in August.

I found what worked for me is giving myself permission to mope, scream, or cry for a few weeks. Then, I had to face that my hair isn't magically coming back, so I needed to DO something. That's when I found LHC. Do what you need to do to make yourself feel better. I let myself spend money on hair vitamins, other supplements, a new straightener, some highlights, and a few products to keep me sane. As someone mentioned before, when hair is really short (and layered, in my case) heat and chemical damage can be easily cut off at a longer length.

I still am nowhere near being happy with how my hair looks, and I have days where I feel really ugly because of it. But, I now have 4 solid inches of virgin hair, the most I've had in a very long time, being a bleach addict. I'm glad I got the bad haircut, because before, I always would grow out to beyond BSL and my hair would start looking really, really bad, so I'd cut. I thought I just had bad hair, but that's not the case at all. I wasn't taking care of it! Welcome to the site!

I am always inspired and motivated by this thread. It was on the first page of the forum the day I came across LHC, and it made me want to join! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18405&highlight=super+shorties

CrisDee
November 28th, 2009, 07:20 PM
So sorry to hear you were talked into something that isn't you. I'm growing out a pixie that I cut in a fit of hair (and DH) rage from BSL, I know how it feels so foreign. Do read as much as you can of this forum, there's such an overwhelming wealth of information here - and be good to yourself, the advice above is fabulous. Hang in there, hugs!

Vianka
November 28th, 2009, 07:43 PM
You'll find lots of support here on these forums. Many of us (including myself) are growing hair out from pixies or very short hair. It will help to keep coming back to the forums to get encouragement from the other members, especially during the difficult growing out phase!

I would avoid doing anything too damaging to your hair like coloring and highlighting it because it might prolong the growing out process. Take advantage of your short "virgin" hair and focus on growing out the healthiest hair possible. There are tons of tips in these forums to growing out healthy hair!

Sometimes in the past when I've gotten a particularly bad haircut I do something for myself like buy a new lipstick or eyeshadow to make me feel prettier. Pretty makeup was always my friend with short hair. Actually I still have very short hair, but thanks to this forum I am feeling like I can finally learn the patience and get through the difficult phase on my way to growing my hair long!

Welcome and just remember you can get through it and you *will* have long hair again!

camirra555
November 28th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I hope you feel better soon. I've had a couple of bad hair cuts in my life. Just look at it this way, it can only get longer from here :)

spidermom
November 28th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Hi! I understand that you don't like it now, but try to have some fun with your new style. It helps the time pass faster. Also, don't check for length too often. I used to check mine 9 times a day (at least), and guess what? I never saw any progress. Take a progress photo once every month or every 3 months - something like that. Then you will see progress and feel better.

Welcome.

anemix1005
November 28th, 2009, 09:18 PM
first of all :D WELCOME! :cheese: :flowers:

and hey ! (: don't feel that bad, as everybody said, it is going to grow :) and now you can try some vintage looks :eyebrows: *dunno if you like i but I think those short hairstyles look great!*
:)

I used to have really short hair and now I'm growing it ... so I know how it feels like, here's how Iused to have my hair:
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/7125/dscn4284g.th.jpg (http://img38.imageshack.us/i/dscn4284g.jpg/)
*lol, feeding a squirrel ... xD*:cheese:
and YUP I had a haircut I TOTALLY HATED, it was the shortest I had in my life, and the hairdresser *who was not my hairdresser, it was another one who I was told was really good* and the haircut was like ... Betty Boop? it was VERY SHORT with little pieces of hair covering the edges of my face and forming curls, all my hair was curly, the shorter my hair is, the curlier it gets P:

so, believe me (: after your hair has grown a little bit, you'll see pictures from now and you'll feel better than ever !! just be patient !:D

Snowflakey
November 28th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I definitely know how you feel... Two years ago, I had my armpit length hair get turned into a chin-length bob, JUST before my high school graduation. I'd been planning to get a small trim and then do a curly half-up for prom, and all my plans went down the drain right there.

There's not much you can do right now. Just browse around here a bit to get good tips on how to keep your hair healthy, take care of your diet and health, etc. I really suggest that you DO NOT get your hair cut at a salon anymore. Get a friend/family member to trim for you, or trim split ends by yourself.

That's what I did, and my hair's now longer than it ever was.

Toadstool
November 28th, 2009, 10:48 PM
So sorry you hate your hair. Maybe you could console yourself for now that it may look good to others at least, it's probably just you who hates it.
Hair grows. You can get it back. In the meantime once you've finished mourning, you can try to enjoy the different stages as it grows out. If you hate it short this much, then you may never go through them again, so you may as well try to enjoy them.
My hair is shorter than I would like right now and I'm finding pretty clips make me feel more feminine.

sarahbrownie
November 29th, 2009, 12:02 AM
I've gone there. In 2004, at the end of my freshman year of high school I decided to chop off my shoulder length hair. Well, it look really bad. No one liked it and my father was completely upset when I did (he is abnormally opinionated about women and long hair) and wasn't even approached by the opposite sex, though my father did see this as the only positive in high school. But, time went on, and I did find that having my hair chopped off only solidified my love of long hair. My determination has never been stronger. I never look in the mirror and wonder about short hair. Before that I was always chopping off my hair and hating it later through my whole childhood and now I haven't had my hair 'cut' since then! It does take some time, and my hair did look really cute when it grew out a bit into a cut bob.

Also, I forced myself to see this as starting fresh. Women often see cutting their hair a sign of starting anew. I know plenty of girls who have major break ups and change their hair, lol. Maybe use this as distraction, if not inspiration to really put your hands in there, sort to speak. When I chopped off my hair, I decided force a change into my life, like the way I ate and loosing the baby weight and took up sewing as a hobby. As my hair grew I felt like a new person with new interest!

Here is the haircut, which I ended up going shorter right after it was taken. My hair was like .5 inches long, if that. Yeah, strange enough when it happened I was into Sinead O'Conner.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/Irina21/homepics11-1-1.jpg

Amoretti
November 29th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Put some lipstick on, get some pretty new earrings and dress as femininely as possible. Those things will help you to feel better as it grows. :flower:

Clarisse
November 29th, 2009, 04:58 AM
I'm sorry to hear that.... But here are a few positive things :) :

Your hair will never be shorter than it is right now!
You can spike it
You will get through all the different hair lengths - I have never been shorter than shoulder length, but you will get to try all lengths that excist
It is easier to actually see the progress when hair is shorter. I have been somewhere between BSL and waist for such a long time, and it is hard for me to track any growth
You don't need to care about conditioners, dry hair, moisture treatments, getting hair caught and trapped and teared on stuff and such. Short, virgin hair is always healthy :)
You found LHC! Welcome!

Buy some feminine clothes. And try to find pictures of good-looking women with short hair. Even though long hair is lovely and beautiful, seeing that you can look attractive with a shorter 'do may help you feel better :)

If I were you, I wouldn't go to a salon any more. Almost 2 years ago, I had my hair ruined completely by a hair dresser, who was supposed to be very good. She damaged my hair by high lighting it - she didn't really high light my hair the way you would usually do, but instead she bleached some huge chunks in the front. It looked super unnatural. She cut in some ugly layers in the front too. My virgin hair is now almost collarbone length and the bleached hair in the front is almost cut out, leaving my faceframing hair being about half the length of the rest of my hair (ugh). But my hair has become a lot healthier. In 2 years, I will be at waist, and in another 2 years, the shorter part of my hair will be waist too.
I cut my hair myself now, using Feye's selftrimming method. Sometimes, I let my mother or one of my best friends mother cut my hair, if I don't feel like doing it myself. My friend has butlength, virgin, super-shiny and beautiful naturally red hair - and it is her mother who cuts it.

I don't think you can do anything to speed up hair growth, but you can avoid the things that will slow down you hair growth, by having a healthy lifestyle. Make sure you get enough B-vitamins, exercise, eat veggies and fruit, down't be underweight, be happy and think positive! You will reach your goal!

Happy growing, and once again, welcome to the boards. You will find so much information and inspiration! :blossom:

RancheroTheBee
November 29th, 2009, 09:06 AM
*snip*
[LIST]
Your hair will never be shorter than it is right now.
*snip*

This, this, this. This is a little mantra that always makes me feel better, even now. Your hair is longer than it was yesterday. You can only go forward from here!

MissMay
November 29th, 2009, 10:28 AM
A bad haircut brought me to the LHC too . . . Short haircuts really don't look good on me. I went from about BSL to just past chin length and I'm now almost at APL. It's hard, but on the way I've found styles that I'll miss when it gets longer and stuff, so my advice is to use it as an experience and enjoy short hair for (possibly) the last time in your life!

going gray
November 29th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I too know EXACTLY how you feel. My hair was about 23" when "I" decided this past June to chop it off, I thought it would make me look more youthful!!! HUGE MISTAKE!

Can't say it better than the ladies above, just know you have A LOT of company!

LawyerGirl
November 29th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Patience is the one thing that has been very difficult for me, but it's the one thing you really need. Welcome to LHC! You'll find a ton of information here. :)

Lamb
November 29th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I wish I had a dime for every horrid haircut I've gotten so far, I'd have a nice little nest-egg for hairtoys! :rolleyes:

I know how you feel. But hair grows - it's nature. :) In the meantime, Biotin (1000-2000mcgs per day) and a B-complex have helped me lately, and so have headscarves, bandanas, wide fabric headbands when I needed them.

And I agree with Amoretti: a nice pair of earrings can be a fantastic accesory!

Nevermore
November 29th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I grew out a horrible haircut too. My biggest piece of advice to get your hair cut into an actual STYLE as you're growing it out, since the pixie will grow out layered and shaggy and odd-looking. If I could go back in time, when my hair hit chin length with some ugly longer bits, I would have bobbed it and not felt like I looked like something the cat dragged in. The bob will grow out much more attractively and it'll take a few months from pixie to bob. The second biggest piece of advice is learn to do vintage hair styles if you have any interest (things like pin curls, victory rolls) because the longer your hair is, the harder it is learn those things.

Every hair length has something good about it, even if you don't like having it that short. Enjoy the stages and learn any skills that you might be interested in while it's still short enough to learn them easily. Don't worry about using product or heat styling to tame the unruly bits here and there. I would strongly suggest doing whatever it takes to be comfortable with how your hair looks between here and longer.

spidermom
November 29th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I don't know about that, Nevermore - the bob is absolutely hideous on some of us (who have round-ish faces). Better long straggly bits than jack-o-lantern face.

Demetrue
November 29th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Been there, done that! If you can't bear it, get some clip-in extensions to wear around the house so you feel more like yourself when you look in the mirror.

Nevermore
November 29th, 2009, 11:28 PM
I don't know about that, Nevermore - the bob is absolutely hideous on some of us (who have round-ish faces). Better long straggly bits than jack-o-lantern face.

I have a very round face, so the bob isn't the best style for me, but I do think it looks better than what I had at that length. I also think there's a way to wear short hair for everyone, even if they look better with longer hair. I wouldn't have worn it just hanging down, but I think it would have been cute in some vintage-ish style and tidier looking growing out.

prittykitty
November 30th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Years ago when I was a teenager I got the worse haircut. I had hair several inches past my shoulders and went to get my hair re-cut into layers (this was in the early 80') I asked the woman to trim off the bad ends and that I wanted my hair cut full feathered in layers. After she was done I was horrified! My hair was in full feathered short layers that was just at collar length. I was devastated! School was going to start in another month and I had this ugly short hair. Back then there were no hair extensions yet and wigs were for old ladies. I had to cope with this awful haircut and go to school with it. After a year it was back to my regular length but after that ordeal I was very picky about who trimmed my hair again.

So years have passed and I found this website. I will say that I did try the monistat and it has been wonderful. I have been using it almost 3 weeks now and have notice that my hair feels a little thicker and little tiny hairs (that are about half and inch or so now) are growing in around my face that haven't been there since my 20's. I haven't used it long enough to get big results yet but the results I have I am very impressed with. I read where a few others on here told about the monistat thread. It really worked great for me.

Loviatar
November 30th, 2009, 07:01 AM
*You mentioned you were sick in the mornings... is this pregnancy related morning sickness, because if it is, firstly congratulations, and secondly, some potentially good news- pregnancy hormones can also make hair grow faster for some women!

I think the OP had said she was sick and in morning (which i took to mean mourning). I had a major chop after I had a bereavement and I really regretted it. It's common to react that kind of way - impulse cutting and things like that. I'm sorry for your loss and I'm sorry your cut isnt what you wanted.

I would eat healthily, build yourself back up after your sickness and bad times. Take some decent vitamins; a single multivitamin would probably help even if you dont want to take various different kinds of pills. Mine has iron and zinc in it. Drink 'good' drinks, herb teas and water and juice. Hydration will help hair growth.

On the outside, enjoy your hair as much as you can at its current length. if this means using irons and gels, go for it. Once it's all one length it will be easier to grow out and you can stop using the more damaging products. You can try essential oil mixes, mixed into something like olive oil or coconut oil (coconut oil prevents protein loss, which is good if you colour or bleach your hair). Deep conditioning is also something to try. Igor, one of our members, wrote an article on growing out from a shaved head, which is in the articles section. Look after your scalp when your hair is short and it will look after your hair as it grows :)

All the best and welcome to LHC.