PDA

View Full Version : finger combing

squee
November 28th, 2009, 12:06 PM
It is the weekend and I have nothing better to do at the moment. :)

How many of you finger comb?

I do more finger combing then regular brushing personally.

Belisarius
November 28th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I thought there ware articles about it already. But I fingercomb, especially to get the really bad tangles out of my hair.
Then I comb afterwards.

marikamt
November 28th, 2009, 12:15 PM
I try to finger come most of the time, especially after washing... I find it helps my hair retain it's wave pattern better.... however, if i comb the very bottom/ ends, my hemline looks thicker, and I have less issue w/ sheds tangling/ knotting if I comb.... so for me, prob every other day (finger comb, next day regular comb)

Themyst
November 28th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I voted half and half as I finger comb in the shower, wrap it in a towel, then when I take it down, I comb it with a regular wide-tooth comb.

squee
November 28th, 2009, 12:40 PM
I thought there ware articles about it already. But I fingercomb, especially to get the really bad tangles out of my hair.
Then I comb afterwards.

There might be, I only did a search in this forum.

Tinose
November 28th, 2009, 12:40 PM
I do to get the bad tangles out, but that's about it. My hair naturally clumps, and while I love the way that looks on curly hair, I don't particularly like it on wavy hair. And since fingercombing doesn't break it up that well, I need something to break it up a little even if it does mean my hair's less wavy.

rach
November 28th, 2009, 01:16 PM
i smooth my hair by my scalp with a tangle teaser or boar brush but my length does not respond to it at all well or it fluffs big time so i finger comb the length which allows it to wave or curl depending on it's mood.

eyesofsummer
November 28th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I only finger-comb, in the shower with tons of conditioner and then afterward to distribute hair gel. When it's dry I don't do any combing at all; the most I'll do is smooth it down with my hands.

LittleOrca
November 28th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I finger comb from time to time when I don't have a comb on me, but I prefer my regular comb... so would that be a half and half vote?.. Well I'm marking other just to be safe. :)

janeytilllie
November 28th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I voted half and half. I use both finger combing and a wide tooth comb. I usually tend to finger comb first to remove big knots and tangles. I will then use a wide tooth comb afterwards.

I find finger combing helps me remove knots more gently than my combs :)

ooo
November 28th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I comb very gently and slowly. So I might interfere with finger combing in case of bad tangling :silly:
The more I (finger) comb my hair, the faster it gets oily. So I try to avoid combing as much as possible.

RoseRedDead
November 28th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I fingercomb, comb, and brush.

I usually reserve the brushing for helping to spread the oil from my heavy pre-wash oiling down to my ends, though.

inspiral
November 29th, 2009, 03:43 AM
i fingercomb in the shower with lots of condish, and only after its completely detangled do i use a wide toothed comb to make sure its all smoothed out, and if i find a knot while im combing, then i fingercomb it out. i never actually detangle with a comb, it only tightens the knots and break the hairs. when its dry, and if it gets tangley, i sometimes fingercomb a little bit to get the big knots out. i never ever use a brush! :p

Sia
November 29th, 2009, 04:07 AM
I will only use a brush when I straighten my hair by blowdrying which is about once a month, I'd say. Other than that, I only finger comb. My hair detangles better with finger-combing than with a comb which tends to tear and create knots.

Carolyn
November 29th, 2009, 05:49 AM
I voted half and half. I finger comb to detangle and then use my wide tooth comb and often brush after that. I could never get my hair smooth enough with just finger combing.

3azza
November 29th, 2009, 06:19 AM
I definitely finger comb and i only do it in the shower. Brushing/combing my hair destroys the curls and my hair looks fluffy and spreads in all dimensions and so does finger combing when dry. So when it's dry i don't touch it.

WyrdWay
November 29th, 2009, 06:53 AM
I finger comb in the shower with conditioner ^_^I'm trying to avoid touching it when its dry and curly

windinherhair
November 29th, 2009, 07:41 AM
I chose half and half. I always finger comb when my hair is damp after washing. If I have a lot of tangles, or when I take my hair down from an updo, I finger comb before I use a wooden comb.

CrisDee
November 29th, 2009, 07:46 AM
I voted half and half - but I'm not sure I agree with myself now :) Did you mean only post-washing, or ever/at all?

Tapioca
November 29th, 2009, 08:30 AM
I don't finger comb. When I did, it took longer and I found that I pulled out more hairs than using a wide-tooth comb.

mira-chan
November 29th, 2009, 10:49 AM
I only finger comb now. Brushes I don't use. Combs I keep around just in case.

spidermom
November 29th, 2009, 10:55 AM
No finger combing for me. My hair snags up and clings to my fingers. A comb glides through much more smoothly.

Anje
November 29th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Voted half-and-half. I fingercomb some, and was surprised when I tried it for a few days that I can indeed get by doing it exclusively. However, I feel like I need a comb to get hair smoothly back for an updo, fingercombing takes longer, and my fingers often feel like they snag my hair more than combs do.

Jessikinz
November 29th, 2009, 01:13 PM
I finger comb all the time. It's the only way I can get the tangles out. I hardly use a comb or brush. When I don't feel like finger combing I will use my plastic comb. But 90% of the time I usually finger comb.

Sissy
November 29th, 2009, 01:50 PM
I voted half and half... I finger comb everytime after I shower to detangle my hair and put my leave-ins on. Usually when my hair is dry I brush it.. but I should try to finger comb more often. If I discover a bad tangle I'll usually try to finger comb it out first.

LKayL
November 29th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I voted half and half, because I only tend to use a comb on wash day.

logica_divina
November 29th, 2009, 03:25 PM
I voted other..
I tried to switch to finger combing only over and over but it just doesn't work. My hair is very thick and it requires a comb or else it tangles like hell!
I still finger comb it from time to time (just in case you're wondering why did I vote 'other' and not 'no') :)

JamieLeigh
December 3rd, 2009, 05:52 PM
I use my wooden comb unless I'm detangling. For that I fingercomb, because it's easier to detect snags and NOT pull the comb straight through them if I'm using my fingers. I know how hard or how soft to pull. So I picked half and half, even though I don't do quite as much fingercombing as regular combing. :)

Yozhik
December 3rd, 2009, 07:10 PM
I try not to brush period.
When I do need to detangle, I use my fingers and/or my horn comb :D

HoneyBun
December 3rd, 2009, 07:29 PM
I nearly always finger comb. I find it's more gentle on my fragile hair.

LorelaiAmethyst
December 3rd, 2009, 07:51 PM
Finger combing does nothing for my hair. It's far too thick. I usually only comb with a wide-tooth comb when it's wet, or I'm drying to distribute oils. Plus, my hair likes to kidnap my fingers. :p

sapphire-o
December 4th, 2009, 03:14 AM
I only fingercomb my wet hair after washing. I don't use conditioner so it can be quite tangly when it's wet. It's usually OK if I just leave it to dry, but I can't wait. Having a blob of wet tangled mess on my head doesn't look very good. :D I comb my hair with horn comb other times.

prittykitty
December 4th, 2009, 03:20 AM
I only finger comb right after I wash my hair and then I have to use a regular wide tooth comb or my hair is a mess.

rumi
December 4th, 2009, 03:27 AM
I finger comb when its not particularly knotty but I always do it upside down, the comb comes out before I get in the shower to get the big knots out :D

Monsterkitti
December 4th, 2009, 04:07 AM
I always finger comb now, on the very rare occassions I starighten my hair its a real problem to find a brush or comb :)

CaityBear
December 5th, 2009, 08:27 AM
When I wear my hair down I have the habit of always fingercombing it. Then again if I leave it down all day without fingercombing it at all I get really bad tangles by the end of the day.

Though I do use a comb most of the time. Finger comb when it's wet sometimes though.

maddog_running
December 7th, 2009, 12:14 AM
oof...
I finger comb all the time, but then I remembered when I did have longer enough hair to really need it how tangled it would get :S
I didn't know about conditioner then! I can't wait to get some length again.

Squeaky
December 7th, 2009, 01:46 AM
I voted half and half. I use both finger combing and a wide tooth comb. I usually tend to finger comb first to remove big knots and tangles. I will then use a wide tooth comb afterwards.

I find finger combing helps me remove knots more gently than my combs :)

Same here. :) I typically only comb before I wash my hair.

Copasetic
December 7th, 2009, 08:59 AM
I finger comb all the time. I try to avoid combs and brushes as much as possible.

Newniepg
December 7th, 2009, 09:06 AM
I fingercomb due to time currently being an issue for me. When I have a few minutes to myself, (and if I can find it) I detangle with a wooden comb.

Gingevere
December 7th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I always finger comb after I get out of the shower, when I'm done towel drying. I've found it's a good way to apply oils when the hair is wet, to avoid using too much. I never really finger comb when my hair's dry, though. I use a comb, but I never brush.

Finoriel
December 7th, 2009, 10:22 AM
I use a wide spaced horn comb. I just can´t figure out how to finger comb without it feeling like I rip out or overstretch hair. I´m not very patient and slow motion combing would drive me up the wall :p. A horn comb feels a lot gentler and I´m done with combing in a few minutes. :wink: Win win situation.

2peasinapod
December 7th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I finger comb after a shower or when I wake up to get rid of the worst tangles, then use a wide toothed wooden comb for the rest.

SpinDance
December 8th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I chose half and half, although it's probably more like 80 or 90 percent finger combing. Once in a while I'll use a 2- or 3-prong fork or a very wide spaced comb, but not too often. I use finger combing to distribute oils and find it works well now to pull my hair back for a bun or braid. Sometimes it doesn't lay as nicely if I don't use a comb or fork, though, so that's when I'll use one.

I never use a brush.

enfys
December 8th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I don't finger comb. My hair hates it. It would rather not be detangled at all than finger combed.

I only just found my Tangle Teezer; it's been missing since Friday and even though I've washed and cassia'd since then it's not tangled because I didn't finger comb. My hair is very odd but I wouldn't swap it!

Thegreenkiwi
December 8th, 2009, 03:52 PM
I only ever finger comb. My hair is fine so I only finger comb when I get out of the shower and then leave it. If I fuss with it it goes frizzy and I lose the curl definition (which is only a little anyway since it's only wavy).

burns_erin
December 9th, 2009, 04:49 PM
I do not finger comb regular comb or brush all that often, but I am probably about an even split.

caliweri
December 10th, 2009, 05:53 AM
I try to keep brushing and combing too a minimal and just finger comb when styling.

paintedmuse
December 10th, 2009, 07:23 AM
I finger comb in the shower when my conditioner is on my hair.
In the mornings I use a wooden brush, but I never brush my whole hair, that would destroy the waves! :)

Shiva
December 10th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Half and half for me. I finger comb in the shower and right after washing. And I use a Tangle Teezer the rest of the time. I have lurked here for a while before signing up, but I read som many great things about the Tangle Teezer here that I had to buy one. I love it and don't use anything else on my hair now. :) It is perfect for my needs.

Shiva
December 10th, 2009, 09:03 AM
I apologize for my typos in my above post. I don't see any way to edit it. :)

Locksmith
December 10th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Finger combing only leads to tangled hair and frustration for me, so I just use combs :)

curlylocks85
January 13th, 2010, 02:46 PM
I finger comb and use a wide tooth comb.

Shorty89
January 13th, 2010, 09:47 PM
I voted other. I have to comb otherwise I get horrible tangles, but sometimes I'll just finger comb before putting it in an updo or what not if I have combed it earlier in the day.

SlightlySoprano
January 13th, 2010, 09:50 PM
I finger comb to gently separate curls, but i use a wide toothed wooden comb normally... so I voted half and half

Tonks
January 13th, 2010, 10:21 PM
I voted no, because I'm still getting used to the idea of fingercombing, especially because the underside of my hair rubs against my clothes a lot (still learning nice up-dos to solve this), and the thought of trying to get out those mats with just my fingers is a bit terrifying.

The only brush I have has those plasticy nubs on them, which I've recently learned aren't the greatest for your hair, and the only comb I have has seams. Guess I'm gonna have to make a little shopping trip!

kelly-j
January 14th, 2010, 03:02 AM
I used to finger comb my hair a couple of years ago but stopped. Nowadays I use my wodden hairbrush and my hair loves it :)

zift
January 15th, 2010, 05:17 PM
In my daily routine I fingercomb first and than use a BBB at nights and in the morning only fingercomb before I braid:)

Isabelle1984
January 15th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I finger comb only in case I have big knots in my hair after wearing a scarf :)

BranwenWolf
January 15th, 2010, 06:05 PM
I finger comb for the big knots and use a wide-tooth comb for everything else. If my hair is in the right mood, I will follow with a boar-bristle brush.

dragonfrog
January 16th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I don't finger comb. When I did, it took longer and I found that I pulled out more hairs than using a wide-tooth comb.

This is exactly how I feel about fingercombing, as well. I would do it if I had no comb or brush available, but not otherwise. It is (for me) slow, uncomfortable, and not particularly effective.

sft88
January 20th, 2010, 06:39 PM
I voted both. I'm thinking of finger combing only because I have curly hair.

EdG
January 20th, 2010, 06:44 PM
I finger-comb the big tangles, and use a wooden comb for the rest. :)
Ed

AJoifulNoise
January 20th, 2010, 06:54 PM
I'll finger comb if I'm just staying around the house. If that is the case... I finger comb, braid, then fold and clip the braid up.

If I'm leaving the house or feeling more like a perfectionist I comb and/or brush. That gets the top smoother and spreads the weight of my updo better.

Mae
February 13th, 2010, 10:45 AM
I voted half and half. I only finger comb when my hair is wet, and when it is dry I try to get away with only finger combing, but sometimes to look neat my hair needs the help of my wooden brush.

Sammich
February 13th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Woops voted the wrong option. I voted: "Yes."
I meant half and half.
I finger comb after I shower... and then comb with my wooden comb throughout the day and sometimes finger comb.

Anywhere
February 13th, 2010, 11:12 AM
the only time I don't finger comb is right before I wash my hair.

Khiwanean
February 17th, 2010, 07:49 AM
I finger comb while I brush, because otherwise it take forever/hurts/breaks strands of my hair off. I haven't found the right comb for my hair yet, but I'd probably still finger comb if I used one.

zen_oven
February 17th, 2010, 01:33 PM
I hardly ever fingercomb but often wonder if I should do more of it. I mostly use a wooden Body Shop comb, but might try doing more fingercombing and see if I notice a difference--might just do that first to get out big tangles and then use the wooden comb.

RedStripe
February 17th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Half and half. I finger comb after washing, and use a wide-tooth comb later when it's dry. In the interim between washes, I finger-comb occasionally, but use a comb more often.

KarpatiiSiv
February 17th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I tried finger combing but found that I was pulling out more hairs than when I use a wide-tooth comb.

Hana
February 18th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I finger comb when my hair is wet, and thats usually all it needs.
occassionally i'll brush it, usually before I wash it, but less and less now.
the better condition my hair is in, the less brushing it needs. and the less i brush it, the better condition its in! so its a win-win situation.

La Luna
February 21st, 2010, 11:33 AM
I comb my hair with fingers occasionally, especially when I heed to move the fringe away from my eyes. I also do it after the wash to just spread it around evenly and separate it a little bit. :)

ArienEllariel
February 21st, 2010, 12:03 PM
Finger combing really doesn't work for me. I don't know why but my hair tangles very badly in the shower and finger combing during or afterward seems to do more harm than good (more broken hairs and/or shedding). I'm much better off with a widetooth comb and a little patience. :)

ravenreed
February 21st, 2010, 12:08 PM
I occasionally finger comb, but it never makes my ends behave, it just gets out the worst tangles for a few minutes. I prefer to comb or brush so that my ends are all going the same direction.

nellreno
February 23rd, 2010, 08:02 PM
I don't like finger combing, it doesn't actually do any detangling for me. I prefer to use a comb.

LunarAurora
March 12th, 2010, 12:18 PM
I used to finger comb my hair when it was wavy/curly.
Now they are more and more straight because of henna
But I finger comb it when I apply conditionner !

tokidokichi
March 16th, 2010, 10:49 AM
I finger comb once i get out of the shower and then use a wide tooth comb to fix my part =]

Juliannaissance
March 16th, 2010, 11:21 AM
My hair tends to snap the more I comb or brush, so I "finger comb" instead!:D

LucyHope
March 16th, 2010, 12:56 PM
I finger-comb in the shower, when I'm tying it up, and unconsciously whenever it's down. :p

I use a comb (plastic currently; trying to find a nice wooden one) after a shower, and a BBB at bedtime or in front of the tv/computer.

Tornerose
March 16th, 2010, 11:05 PM
I try to not fingercomb, as the hairs tend to tangle up inbetween my nails and skin, and break off there....

So I use my wooden comb, and only use my hands to gently untie stubborn knots if my comb can't make it

Savvyhorsez
March 18th, 2010, 08:18 AM
I am another half and half.:)

Capybara
March 19th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Half and half (:

After finger combing, I use a wide toothed comb. And on non-wash days, I use a BBB sparingly before the comb, but after the finger combing.

LoversLullaby
March 19th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I don't finger comb because I usually can't get all of my tangles out while finger combing. So when I wash my hair I comb my hair in the shower with tons of conditioner in it.
The only time I finger comb is when I put my hair up.

beez1717
March 19th, 2010, 08:16 PM
HECK NO. I can't do it because of my cute nails....... it would ruin them :eek: They are almost as important as my hair!

embee
March 21st, 2010, 10:56 AM
No. It squicks me. I had a friend who finger combed as a nervous habit and she left foot long sheds everywhere - furniture, clothes, floors, kitchen, bath... ugh. I have a wide tooth comb which I like just fine.

MirageGrace
March 21st, 2010, 11:23 AM
Well, currently I can just finger comb because my hair doesn`t tangle that much for me. Although this will probably change as the hair gets longer, but for now I enjoy not using a brush. :)

rosek
April 4th, 2010, 03:42 AM
I fingercomb whenever I can reach it when its in an updo. Its so think, it would take too long to fingercomb the lot, so I just do the last 10''.

Shepherdess
August 14th, 2012, 11:01 PM
I often finger comb and use a wide tooth plastic comb at the same time.

PeaceTeaRules
August 14th, 2012, 11:20 PM
Finger comb!! <3 I've found out that it's gentler on hair than a wooden comb; plus the hair care method I'm currently in the process of requires it greatly... I still use a wooden comb sometimes so I probably should've voted half and half... :P

DarkCurls
August 15th, 2012, 02:06 AM
I only finger-comb.

joflakes
August 15th, 2012, 02:23 AM
A bit of both! Fingercomb in shower, then wide comb when wet. Then in between washes mostly just finger comb.

KwaveT
August 15th, 2012, 06:11 PM
I do the two in conjunction with each other. I start with fingercombing with my tangly back hair and finish with a comb to smooth the hair out. I literally untwist tangles with my fingers to get many tangles out.

silverthread
August 15th, 2012, 06:32 PM
It is the weekend and I have nothing better to do at the moment. :)

How many of you finger comb?

I do more finger combing then regular brushing personally.

I finger comb every single day, twice or three times a day. Never brush. I use a wooden comb when my hair is almost dry, and a fine-tooth horn comb if I'm sporting a "polished" hairstyle.

AdaClare
August 15th, 2012, 06:46 PM
I voted "half and half" - I usualy finger comb before and during washing, but use a comb after washing and when I'm doing my hair in the morning.

millyaulait
August 17th, 2012, 07:25 AM
I fingercomb only before brushing with my BBB.

Arashi
August 17th, 2012, 07:32 AM
I voted half and half.. finger combing alone isn't enough to make my hair presentable, but I like to do it before using a wooden comb so the comb can go through more smoothly.

einna
August 20th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Half and half. I try to fingercomb before I comb with my wide tooth comb or use my tangle teezer, to get the worst tangles out and protect my hair from some mechanical damage.

Zesty
August 20th, 2012, 09:11 PM
I finger comb pretty much exclusively. Actually my friend accidentally took my only comb home with her and I haven't missed it at all, it's been nearly a month. I'll want it back for self-trims because I like to make sure they're precise, but otherwise finger combing is my preferred method.

EtherealDoll
August 22nd, 2012, 04:24 AM
Half and half. I finger comb my hair when it's wet or before brushing.

KittyBird
September 10th, 2012, 12:37 PM
I only finger comb. I mainly do it in the shower with my hair full of conditioner, and occasionally in the morning before bunning. I wear my hair up every day and sleep with a sleep bonnet on, so I don't get many tangles.
I have a tangle teezer laying around somewhere, but I haven't used it since May.

melusine963
September 11th, 2012, 01:53 PM
I don't generally finger comb. I love my hairbrush unless I hit a particularly stubborn knot, in which case I'll use my fingers.

Ambystoma
September 12th, 2012, 09:57 PM
I voted half and half too - I fingercomb, then wide tooth comb, then fine tooth comb since it seems like the most gentle way to get it smooth and shiny. Like Tinose I'm not a fan of the wavy clumps so just fingers aren't enough for me, and brushing makes it look as if I've been hugging a Van de Graaff generator :laugh:

bayleafwish
September 13th, 2012, 03:12 AM
Some times but my ends are not the healthiest so i tangle a lot and my fingers just dont do the trick.

Amber_Maiden
September 16th, 2012, 04:52 PM
I do half and half. I finger comb out tangles.

neko_kawaii
September 16th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Finger combing just doesn't seem to remove the tangles and is more likely to catch and tug than careful use of a wide toothed comb for me.

longforthis
September 16th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Finger comb.

Every time I use a brush, comb, anything I end up regretting it.

Henrietta
September 17th, 2012, 03:34 PM
I fingercomb when I want looser, not too smooth updo. Or when I'm lazy. Or when it's a wash day and I don't want the sebum to be distributed down the length with a comb (or a brush), but it's not always so. But fingercombing does not give me the "tangle free" feeling. So it's half in half.

Anabell
March 7th, 2014, 05:17 AM
It was the only combing method for me for a long time. It takes forever (one hour) to detangle that way but it is the only pain free method for me. I bought a TT recently and even that pulls on my hair. Maybe when my hair will be all virgin again it will be less tangly and less painful to comb. In the bright side, I see a lot of improvement in the ends condition. I do use a bbb some times but mainly on the scalp to massage and take the natural oils down to the rest of the hair.

mrs_coffee
March 7th, 2014, 08:20 PM
I am finger combing only. I don't even own a brush anymore.

mysticmanic
March 7th, 2014, 09:22 PM
I need use combs or brushes anymore at all. I love finger combing. It takes waaaay longer than if I combed it, but it's so worth it to me.

Aderyn
March 7th, 2014, 10:29 PM
I said no, because I don't finger comb anymore. I find it too time consuming. I will occasionally do a bit of finger combing here and there, especially if there are particularly tough tangles or am too lazy to pick up a comb when re-doing an updo or putting my hair up in the morning, but overall I don't finger comb. I find I don't shed or pull out any less hair than when I finger comb so detangling with a comb or denman brush is just a lot more convenient.

Also, using a comb and/or Denman brush ensures I'm thoroughly detangling my hair. Finger combing also leaves my wavy/curly hair in weird clumps, as mentioned previously, which I'm not that fond of, especially when I'm trying to put my hair up for the day.

0xalis
March 9th, 2014, 01:12 AM
Ah, I voted yes, but probably should have said half and half.

I finger comb often, as my hair is down pretty often. But there's nothing like the feeling of freshly combed (with a comb) hair.

Marika
March 9th, 2014, 02:21 PM
I don't finger comb because it's too time consuming and I feel like I shed more than with a comb. I probably don't but it feels like that :p

Mythago
March 9th, 2014, 02:32 PM
I usually only finger comb (after detangling with a wide tooth comb) after it's washed. That may change as my hair grows though. Finger combing shoulder length hair is easy, once it's BSL it may not be enough. I'll have to wait and see!

MadeiraD
March 11th, 2014, 01:56 AM
My acrylic nails are AWESOME for gently picking apart tangles cause they're blunt but good at separating

ifjuly
March 17th, 2014, 10:22 PM
Maybe I'm just not doing it right, but I don't fingercomb because it seems to cause more shedding and even damage than gently using a good detangling comb/the tangle teezer on my hair. Maybe it has to do with my rough cuticles or something. Or because my hair's really coarse? I don't know...

Stiria
March 18th, 2014, 03:29 PM
I only fingercomb now. I have a wide tooth comb, but I hardly ever use it. I think fingercombing is easier and more gentle.

Violet Raine
March 18th, 2014, 03:50 PM
I'm finger-combing until I can get a decent wide-tooth comb. :)

Teeny
April 24th, 2014, 02:15 PM
I almost exclusively finger comb. I have fine/medium 2b/c hair, so if I use a fine tooth comb or a brush, my waves tend to fan out and head towards the dreaded triangle hair.

YvetteVarie
April 28th, 2014, 02:25 AM
I mostly finger comb, however I use a wide tooth comb on my full on wash days (once a week). This prevents breakage since Afro hair snaps easily

Rosa Harris
April 28th, 2014, 03:40 AM
been finger combing only for years now. my big problem is over finger combing. Cant keep my hands out of my hair. nervous habit.

MINAKO
April 28th, 2014, 03:20 PM
Finger combing first, then the comb, boar bristle brush only on straightened hair as it goes for me.

Johannah
May 3rd, 2014, 04:02 AM
I hate it. I don't know why, but I just cannot stand it!

Nachtschatten
May 3rd, 2014, 10:40 AM
I brush my hair every morning and every washing day before washing. Usually it's very quick and easy, so I don't bother fingercombing. But sometimes (I really have no idea why, since I always do exactly the same things) it tangles very badly (fortunately it's happening more and more rarely) and then I of course must fingercomb it to detangle.

LunaHuntress
May 4th, 2014, 08:34 PM
I voted other because while I do finger comb it's only occasionally when I don't have a comb or brush handy or if I'm going for a casual look with braid or bun waves. I've tried detangling wet hair with just my fingers and... yeah, no. It seemed to pull on my hair more than a wide toothed comb and the end result wasn't as good. Same goes for when I'm wearing my hair straight and loose or putting it up, fingers alone don't get it smooth enough so I use a brush.

Sharysa
May 6th, 2014, 01:58 PM
I finger-comb except on wash days, which are twice a week; I don't use a brush or wide-toothed comb, I use a normal-spaced horn comb from Epstone so I can get oil into all my hair. The routine keeps frizz out AND the waves in.

burny
August 20th, 2014, 10:47 PM
I finger comb all the time. most people don't say anything, but it seems to annoy a few people. saying it makes me seem like a child, or that I should buy a brush, etc.

Akville
August 25th, 2014, 11:07 AM
finger comb and wide tooth comb

erizabesu
August 26th, 2014, 02:58 PM
Lately, I've been finger-combing almost exclusively because it's the most gentle for my waves. I'll sometimes use a wide tooth comb if I'm trying for a smoother look or right before washing, but not always.

~honeyflower~
August 26th, 2014, 04:01 PM
I lost my comb so I'm finger combing now.

Begemot
September 29th, 2014, 02:59 PM
I voted half and half. After washing the first thing I do is fingercomb a little and then I use a wooden comb. I also have a bad habit of touching my hair all the time, it usually ends up me fingercombing my hair and especially the nape hair.

Rosetta
October 1st, 2014, 01:04 AM
I usually just comb (never brush), I only resort to finger-combing if there's no comb available ;) (Which is very seldom, as I always carry one in my handbag.)

YGDW
October 1st, 2014, 01:24 AM
I finger comb first. Then I comb with a wide toothed comb.

Ting32
October 3rd, 2014, 03:48 AM
I comb with a wide toothed comb, but when I reach a point of a lot of knots, I stop and finger comb. I also just finger comb a bit when I switch from a bun to my sleepbraid.

Winter Fox
October 8th, 2014, 03:11 PM
I always finger-comb before combing with a wide toothed comb or when my hair is wet I just run through it with my fingers.

Kristabeth96
October 18th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Its actually pretty much all I do. I may use a brush once a month and my hair is great.

GetMeToWaist
October 19th, 2014, 01:19 AM
I do find that dry finger combing just disrupts the waves and pulls them out causing frizz... Which is really annoying because I always finger comb my hair absentmindedly because I grew up with that 'Clumping=Tangles=ATTACK WITH BRUSH' mentality.

Nymphea
October 19th, 2014, 01:45 AM
I use brush only before washing my hair, to prevent major tangling. On the other days I only finger comb. :)

SwordWomanRiona
October 19th, 2014, 04:37 PM
Finger combing is my chief detangling method. I don't use combs, or brushes, to detangle, I have very fine-textured hair and even when handled gently they cause way more breakage and shedding than finger combing. I only use a baby brush to smooth the hair after it's detangled.

ScarletGD
November 3rd, 2014, 05:52 PM
I like to finger comb first, then I use I comb and then, if it's right after I wake or before I go to sleep, I use my boar bristle brush. I finger comb a lot during the day when I am forced to wear my hair down. And I do love to touch my hair xD

rachelbethany
November 4th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Ideally, I let my hair air-dry and then wear it wavy without combing it at all. Then I detangle (finger-comb, then wide-tooth comb) before shampooing. But lately I have occasionally been blow-drying my hair for a smoother look. In that case, I let my hair air dry for a while first, and then separate into sections, finger-combing and then wide-tooth combing each section as I'm blow-drying it.

DumpsterGhost
September 2nd, 2015, 05:36 PM
I like finger combing! I think it's really relaxing but I think it's mostly because I like to touch my hair lol

Groovy Granny
September 19th, 2015, 11:45 PM
I said 'half and half' but after a shower detangling, I am getting into the habit of finger combing (when I air dry)

AutobotsAttack
September 20th, 2015, 09:03 PM
Sometimes I use fingers and sometimes I use a comb. Really just depends.

Robi-Bird
September 20th, 2015, 09:17 PM
I have dangers for nails so I nail comb, great for parting hair too unless I want to smooth the poof in which case I brush.

parkmikii
September 21st, 2015, 02:25 AM
I do finger comb my hair mid week as I only actually comb it once a week before washing it :)

Alastríona
September 23rd, 2015, 12:02 AM
The only time I brush (or comb) is when I'm trying to get something out of it. Or when I've finger combed my bed hair and chucked it up and looked in the mirror and realised how appalling it looks :-D
I find finger combing to be the gentlest method of detangling, plus it doesn't plaster the hair down on my head.

Belle Paix
September 23rd, 2015, 09:46 AM
I said half & half, but thinking about it now I realize it's probably almost 90% fingers & 9 1/2 % real comb, lol.

Kotone
September 23rd, 2015, 11:10 AM
:hmm: Thinking about it, I really never finger-comb my hair! :ponder:
I just untangle it with a hairbrush right before washing it, so that the washbasin does not get completely clogged up. :laugh:

Floh
August 27th, 2016, 01:36 PM
I am a only finger comb-er and I dont even own a wood or what ever comb.

lapushka
August 27th, 2016, 02:07 PM
Monday: just run my hands over the entirety of hair to get sheds (no sheds as: just washed the day before)
Tuesday: separate hair in 2, and each half into 3, to get sheds out.
Wednesday through Saturday: same thing. No actually running fingers through hair as it would mess up the wave pattern.
Sunday: comb with WT comb + TT pre-wash; then WT comb after it comes out of the towel (leave alone after styling)

Cg
August 27th, 2016, 05:47 PM
I finger-comb daily, but only to untangle before brushing. As I'm WO, I need the bbb to distribute sebum.

abribun
January 26th, 2017, 11:00 AM
I have been trying not to use a comb on my hair unless it's 100% necessary!! Before I wash my hair I finger comb out all tangles, wash my hair, and then I don't brush it after I get out. It usually doesn't need to be untangled as I put enough conditioner for the strands to slip off of each other.

hanne jensen
January 26th, 2017, 12:03 PM
I joined the finger comb only challenge about 2 weeks ago. It has mad a big difference to my hair. My hair tangles a lot less, feels smoother and is breaking a lot less. I'm convinced!

MoonRabbit
January 26th, 2017, 10:47 PM
I've been finger combing for 3 months and I absolutely love it. My hair feels thicker and I don't have that much frizz anymore. My waves also look better throughout the week. I do use a comb on deep treatment day, since I use a fairly thick masque, it's hard to distribute through my hair with just my fingers. I deep treat twice a month so I don't consider myself a true comb user. It does take some time to finger comb but I wouldn't say that's bad, it gives me a chance to understand and feel what my hair needs.

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 26th, 2017, 11:15 PM
50/50
Finger detangling usually hurts and doesnt get all the tangles out in the end because my hair is like velcro. The longer I take to detangle the worse it is so I detangle as quick and as gentle as I can be, so fingers and TT :)

Aphra
January 27th, 2017, 07:24 PM
I've recently started finger combing more as I'm pretty sure most of my breakage comes from detangling. I've always finger-combed in the shower, and I've found I can also fingercomb only between washes if I'm keeping my hair braided. The WT comb or TT comes out before and after washing, and before / after wearing my hair down.

mayfaring
January 28th, 2017, 12:25 AM
I finger comb before and during my showers and also finger comb to remove any knots I come across when using a regular comb. I just got a tangle teezer today though and will be adding that to my combing arsenal.

HairPlease
January 28th, 2017, 11:14 AM
Half and half. I couldn't commit to only finger combing--I tried the 30 day challenge and flunked at day 27. I do like my comb.

irishsapphire
January 13th, 2018, 04:14 PM
Bit of a thread revival...
I'm having issues with thinning and lots of sheds. A whole palmful of sheds every day. I can't say for certain they are all sheds or theres some breakage, but its a palmful of hairs every day. I'm curious if those who have mentioned that they had less shedding with finger combing if that is still true a year-ish later? I'm having less shedding with fingercombing (what I get in a week is what I'd average in a day with a TT or a wide tooth comb), but I'm interested in long term results I could maybe look forward to. Does it continue to help avoid shedding? If you had any thinning, was there any more regrowth? Are there any articles on proper technique? Is there such a thing as proper technique when using your fingers/nails to detangle?
Any wisdom to impart? My family currently thinks I'm crazy. "You have all of those brushes and combs, but you are using your fingers? Why did you waste the money?" Well, I am crazy. And I like it. So there.
I don't recommend that retort. It doesn't go over as well as you'd think.

leayellena
January 14th, 2018, 01:17 AM
Finger detangiling mostly with leave-ins then combing if I don't make a messy lwb or beebutt at home. No brushing though.

Lady Stardust
January 14th, 2018, 03:12 AM
I'm almost exclusively finger combing now. I think it's one of the best habits I have adopted for my hair.

TatsuOni
January 14th, 2018, 04:02 AM
I first finger comb, then I use a wide toothed wooden comb and last my BBB.

SeaAnna
January 14th, 2018, 06:40 PM
I just got a wooden comb after many years of using plastic wide-toothed combs. I read that you shouldn’t use a wooden comb on wet hair, so today after my wash I tried finger combing only until it dried. I’m not sure yet what I think, but I want to give it a chance. My hair is between APL and BSL, and I’ve noticed I need to be more gentle with it at this length. I also use an ionic brush, but lately only when I’m putting it up and just before washing, because I lose a lot of volume. We’ll see how it goes! I’m a little worried that finger combing will make my hair more oily. Had anyone experienced that?

dvep
January 14th, 2018, 11:23 PM
I'm a casual finger comber. I do it often, but not necessarily as a conscious choice.

Lady Stardust
January 15th, 2018, 02:10 AM
Bit of a thread revival...
I'm having issues with thinning and lots of sheds. A whole palmful of sheds every day. I can't say for certain they are all sheds or theres some breakage, but its a palmful of hairs every day. I'm curious if those who have mentioned that they had less shedding with finger combing if that is still true a year-ish later? I'm having less shedding with fingercombing (what I get in a week is what I'd average in a day with a TT or a wide tooth comb), but I'm interested in long term results I could maybe look forward to. Does it continue to help avoid shedding? If you had any thinning, was there any more regrowth? Are there any articles on proper technique? Is there such a thing as proper technique when using your fingers/nails to detangle?
Any wisdom to impart? My family currently thinks I'm crazy. "You have all of those brushes and combs, but you are using your fingers? Why did you waste the money?" Well, I am crazy. And I like it. So there.
I don't recommend that retort. It doesn't go over as well as you'd think.

I haven't been finger combing long enough to be able to say how it affects shedding, if at all, so I'm afraid I can't be much help there. It's worth ruling out the usual suspects - have you changed anything in your routine? Any oils or conditioner on your scalp, as that can cause some people to shed? Any stress, illness, hormone imbalance? Sorry I'm not an expert on this at all but there is a lot of information on the forum. I would suggest starting a thread if you want advice so that more people see it and respond.

As for technique, there probably is something written somewhere. I know there are several threads about finger combing. The way I do it is to do most of the detangling while I have conditioner in, and then again briefly while I'm rinsing it out. I blot my hair dry and then spray with detangler and slowly go through to make sure there are no obvious knots. I don't try to make it smooth, that just happens on its own when it dries. If I find any tangles I ease them apart by gently pulling sideways, rather than tugging through them.

I just got a wooden comb after many years of using plastic wide-toothed combs. I read that you shouldn’t use a wooden comb on wet hair, so today after my wash I tried finger combing only until it dried. I’m not sure yet what I think, but I want to give it a chance. My hair is between APL and BSL, and I’ve noticed I need to be more gentle with it at this length. I also use an ionic brush, but lately only when I’m putting it up and just before washing, because I lose a lot of volume. We’ll see how it goes! I’m a little worried that finger combing will make my hair more oily. Had anyone experienced that?

I was worried that it would make my hair more oily too but it hasn't been a problem at all. I make sure I wash my hands first if I've had conditioner or moisturiser on them. The most important thing is to make sure nails and rings aren't going to snag :-)

Hexen
January 15th, 2018, 02:10 AM
I just do not think I could ever rely on finger combing alone, or even as a frequent method at all actually. Not that I dont think that ones fingers cant be utilitarian, which they obviously are in many ways without question, but this concept to me seems in large part quite alien. I do have this tendency though after a wash when I complete the manual and initial part of my hair drying process, meaning a sort of squeezing by hand, (not wringing), and towel 'blotting',... to sorta rake me fings through my hair just to detect any unseen resistances. This I cannot really see as being considered finger combing though, as it is just a rather quick and supplementary 'prep' to the brush that I then slap onto my skull and rake downward,...aggressively and indiscriminately, as I proceed to listen to, and feel... a chorus of elastic sounding pops and snaps! Hahahahaha!

I kid I kid. I promise. I just think that personally, for my hair, if I were to rely on fingers more than brushes, that it would take on an entirely new, and disagreeable personification. My waves could likely tip a ship and any fairytail ends would no doubt be grim. And considering that combs have been among the so called, "oldest" artifacts unearthed, it would seem that even in antiquity the value of implementation, at least to some degree was realized.

Hexen
January 16th, 2018, 09:00 PM
...And considering that combs have been among the so called, "oldest" artifacts unearthed, it would seem that even in antiquity the value of implementation, at least to some degree was realized.

I just ran across this interesting article. Found: A Viking Comb from 800 A.D. That Says ‘Comb’ (https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/viking-objects-comb-plate-runic-inscription-language)

emptyque
January 17th, 2018, 01:38 PM
I try to use fingers for detangling and reserve comb/brush for styling.

Harini
January 22nd, 2018, 01:01 AM
I lightly finger comb when wet to get any unruly strands under control. When dry I finger comb more thoroughly to get any tangles out. Then about 1-2 days later my hair will tangle again from sleeping on it so I'll use a wooden comb.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
May 27th, 2018, 01:06 PM
I have loved the feel of a bbb, fell in love with the easy of combing with my wooden comb from the body shop. However I think combing does cause some breakage due to my curls.
I have now begun finger combing and notice less hair fall and breakage. I have set myself a personal hair challenge to finger comb for the next 6 months and re-eavaluate at the end of the 6 month period. If finger combing is better for my hair then I shall continue in the new year.

ravenskey
May 27th, 2018, 02:10 PM
I finger comb to get the worst tangles out but doing all of my hair would take way too long.

Glitch
May 27th, 2018, 06:39 PM
I'm too impatient for finger detangling :p It would't take me very long, but still. Sometimes I'll do a tiny bit of detangling by hand but that's about it.

daisy rei
May 29th, 2018, 07:43 AM
from this day onward i want to try and only finger comb. i barely have any wave or texture to my hair, and brushing/combing completely removes all of it!

i'm hoping that i can coax some natural waves into my hair by only using my fingers.

pili
May 29th, 2018, 08:13 AM
I mostly finger comb. The only time I've been brushing is just before a wash to detangle, or in the shower when wet and slick. Otherwise, brushing is just a really bad idea with my hair type.

nycelle
May 29th, 2018, 09:11 AM
Mostly WTC. Only use my fingers if the tangles are very small.

ghost pisces
June 9th, 2018, 06:08 PM
I find my paddle brush works to get knots out more quickly and gently than finger combing.

deeisme
June 20th, 2018, 07:41 AM
I have found finger combing has helped with breakage. I often finger comb before using a wide tooth comb or brushing my hair.

hellomimi
July 4th, 2018, 11:24 AM
I always fingercomb first and then brush, my hair tends to get knotted a lot so it would be tears and screams if i was just brushing them (like my mum used to do btw, am I the only one whom family knew nothing about hair and just went hammer with a cheap plastic brush on them?? sooo painful)

Margrit
January 17th, 2019, 10:18 PM
I do more finger combing then regular brushing.

Natalia_A00
January 20th, 2019, 06:24 AM
Half and half. My hair is pretty thick and prone to tangles so finger combing is not enough. When I feel that my hair doesn't have as much tangles as before I brush it

Cg
January 20th, 2019, 08:40 AM
I always finger comb before brushing. Flimsy flyaway hair makes that necessary.

Ophidian
January 20th, 2019, 10:04 AM
I fingercomb only

lithostoic
January 20th, 2019, 11:44 AM
I finger comb my hair in the shower. On dry hair I use a brush or don't detangle at all.

snorkie
January 27th, 2019, 09:20 PM
I always fingercomb. Only use a brush when it needs a bit more taming to get smooth. Hair is like fine antique lace...to be treated gently!

The-Young-Maid
February 6th, 2020, 11:56 PM
I don't like finger combing. I only do it when I'm out and about and find a tangle.

0xalis
February 13th, 2020, 11:54 PM
I do both but generally I finger comb 80% of the time. I'm lazy.

LadyMikaelson
March 10th, 2020, 08:48 PM
I finger comb often. Usually before combing with a wide tooth comb or a brush. I find that it's easier to deal with tangles this way. And I just feel like I have more control of my hair.

unheardletters
March 11th, 2020, 06:28 AM
I chose other, because I only sort of finger comb to get my hair up in a ponytail. I don’t do it for detangling since my hair doesn’t tangle.

Ylva
March 13th, 2020, 02:27 PM
I only brush my hair when I'm about to wash it. Other than that, I finger comb the sheds out every evening before bed.

GoatLady
October 20th, 2022, 10:02 PM
I rarely finger comb.

foreveryours
October 21st, 2022, 07:20 AM
I voted NO. A comb works better for me. Moisture from my hands just makes tangles.

tuanyiji
October 21st, 2022, 10:56 AM
I exclusively fingercomb and only let my hair touch a wide-tooth wooden comb once a month, never brush.

lapis_lazuli
October 21st, 2022, 02:30 PM
Yes, finger combing only! I love it.

Fiorentina
November 7th, 2022, 12:31 AM
mostly yes.