PDA

View Full Version : Cones & Strong lingering scent

Tangerine
November 28th, 2009, 03:16 AM
Yesterday I applied some L'Oreal Elvive Smooth&Intense mask to the lower half of my length, after a regular CO with non-coney conditioners. I rinsed it out.

It is the first time in months and months that I used a product containing cones. I had forgotten how strong this particular product smells and how I am not too fond of it .. :(

Does anybody know if there is a way to neutralise the scent of a product in your hair, or do I just need to wait till it has washed out (or should I just clarify it out?).

I've got lovely EOs that I can scent some oil with and apply on dry hair but I think that will just clash with the rather synthetically florally fragrance of he L'Oreal stuff ..

I was also wondering whether it is in the nature of a coney product to have a more lingering scent or is this just a coincidence?

TIA:blossom:

2peasinapod
November 28th, 2009, 04:25 AM
The only way ever I got the scent and feel of cones out of my hair was by clarifying (ACV rinse). I don't know if it's just the nature of cones since I only used one brand, but it always left my hair feeling unnatural.

Tangerine
November 28th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Yes I had a feeling that would be the only way ... I do quite like the way my ends feel today but I am just not very keen on the strong fragrance.
I might try just COing tomorrow and include an ACV rinse (thanks for the tip!). If that doesn't do it I'll get the old shampoo out!

Clarisse
November 28th, 2009, 07:00 AM
If you like cones on your ends, try using another brand with a more neutral scent. :)

RavennaNight
November 28th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Oh this happened to me once. I tried a different coney conditioner once. Warning: Herbal Essence Dangerously Straight smells AWEFUL over hennaed hair. Nauseating. But that's the only cone I ever used which had an icky smell. But I did notice through my coney and non-coney spurts that cones in general leave more scent in the hair. When I do cone-free I tend to get whiffs of my scalp instead.

Tangerine
November 28th, 2009, 12:54 PM
You speak wise words, Clarisse :D

RavennaNight - don't you just hate it when your own hair nauseates you:wail: I suppose it is in the nature of cones to linger both in slip and in fragrance ...

I might try and find another coney conditioner/mask for the very occasional treat when my ends get a bit velcro-y.

RancheroTheBee
November 28th, 2009, 01:00 PM
I think it's John Frieda that makes an unscented conditioner. It's not a DC, but if you like 'cones, I understand it's pretty thick.

But I agree. I think 'cones actually do linger, scent-wise, for a little longer, probably because they're designed to stay in your hair.

Tangerine
November 28th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Thanks for that, RancheroTheBee - I could always add some drops of EO to that. I'll have a look for it next time I'm in Boots :)