PDA

View Full Version : True or False : Cones should be avoided on Bleached/Coloured hair......

Pony Girl
November 28th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Is it True or False : "Silicones should be avoided on Bleached/Colored hair as it can be detrimental at the hairdressers"

I have been told of horror stories shudder:where hairdressers can smell burning and heating up of the silicones on the hair when they have gone to bleach and or color hair.:shrug:

In particular I was told to stay away from Pantene and Garnier products as they are really heavily laden with silicones.

I do really :heartbeat the feel of my hair on the few occasions I have used these brands but have ceased using after one or two washes for fear of disaster :brains: when I go to get my highlights and foils redone.

RancheroTheBee
November 28th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Well, first of all, you can remove silicones with any clarifying shampoo before you go get your hair done (or "get your hair did", as I always like to say) and that should remove any trace of silicones.

Second of all, if a hairdresser smells burning hair while applying any sort of color to your hair, I wouldn't be so quick to blame 'cones; I might first suspect that the bleach had been left on for too long. Actually, I can't imagine how you'd be able to smell anything over the smell of bleach/color.

And I don't think there's anything wrong with Pantene or Garnier, assuming you LIKE 'cones.

manderly
November 28th, 2009, 05:14 AM
^^ What she said :D

myrrhmaiden
November 28th, 2009, 05:23 AM
This simply can't be true. Most widely available hair products contain cones. Most people use them each and every day. Also, hairdressers are aware of this fact and would anticipate it were it actually a real problem.

eta: I'm willing to bet the products they use on your hair themselves, contain cones as well.

Shermie Girl
November 28th, 2009, 08:39 AM
What a crock of nonsense. Cones are not harmful to your hair or your hairdresser. Cones can inhibit dye uptake when getting colour so a good clarifying is a good idea (just use any clarifying shampoo and if you must condition, use a cone free conditioner) before such a service.

I hear about many hairdressers bagging on products like Pantene and Garnier. Their claims that the silicons are harmful doesn't hold water, especially when you read the ingredients lists on the salon products that they try so hard to sweet talk you into buying. What do most of them contain? Could it be?

Silicone.

Oh, and Pantene does not contain harmful waxes that will melt the hair off your head. I used Pantene for years... It never did melt my hair. ;)

*I am not hating on hairdressers or salon products. Just making an observation.*

RavennaNight
November 28th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Yea this sounds like :bull: to me. The only thing silicones do is make you washbyour hair more frequently. Burning hair? :confused: maybe they smell burning hair when they blowdry, that is a disturbing smell. If anything, coney stuff makes your hair smell like the product! Very much so, actually! When I used pantene I would get a whiff of my hair every time I tossed it.

Elphie
November 28th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Not all of Garnier's products contain silicones either. I'm not sure if I can say that about Pantene, but it's not like silicone is a permanently bonded thing in your hair, you can wash it off.

Cherry_Sprinkle
November 28th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Big fat FALSE. I have used both products and was a bottle blond for years. If the hair is burning its because the hair is either over processed or the bleach has been on too long, either way I blame the stylist not the cones.

Finaleofseem
November 28th, 2009, 09:47 AM
I'm bottle red, and I've never had a problem with any kind of burning.

I do clarify a few days before a color, though, b/c I've found 'cones DO make the color not stick to my hair as well.

Gladtobemom
November 28th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Frankly, I think LEARNING how to use cones well saved me from having to chop my hair off when it was chemically dyed (over processed).

I learned that I do have to clarify.
I do have to use a gentler shampoo.
I CAN use oil and cones together to good effect.

Frankly, cones used carefully made my hair bearable while I waited for the dyed stuff to get down to BSL. (My hair is wavy, shorter than that and I look like a pyramid head.)

Now that all the dyed hair is gone, I don't really need the cones. My hair does better with hair butters and oiling. I clarify way less often and it shines like crazy.

What is BAD about cones?
If you use them too long without getting them off the hair, the hair seems to get strawlike and almost crunchy.

When I do use cones, I HAVE to clarify every 5th washing or so with a shampoo that will remove them.

Cones gone wild (not clrifying often enough) led to strawlike hair that had a lot of breakage.

The first time I clarified and gave myself a deep moisture treatment (SMT) it was like a rebirth. Then I was able to use a cone conditioner to maintain that softness and smoothness. I just had to be aware of when to clarify.

ChloeDharma
November 28th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I agree with the rest of the replies. I can see cone build up could inhibit a deposit only colour somewhat, but bleach would have no problem getting through it.
Some hairdressers give some very bizarre advice.

RancheroTheBee
November 28th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Also, a note about the products:

Pantene gets this horrible, horrible rep with a lot of hairdressers, some going as far to claim that they can tell when a client uses it. I don't think this is true. I've never used Pantene (except their DEs, which are really amazing on damaged hair) but I doubt they are as bad as anyone claims they are.

And I never had any problems with Garnier, either. As far as I can tell, they actually go pretty light on the 'cones; some of their conditioners don't even contain 'cones.

You have to realize that a lot of hairdressers work on a commission basis, and selling products in the salon is a good way to up their income. By telling you that some of the most popular products out there will literally fry your hair, it opens a door to suggest salon products, which are often indistinguishable from a lot of drugstore brand products.

Jeni
November 28th, 2009, 07:56 PM
False false false FALSE!

I use to go get my hair dyed light blond/highlighted every 2 months when I had short hair. I used pantene shampoo and conditioner and never ever had a problem.

manderly
November 28th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Balderdash. Horsefeathers. Gobbledigook.

I already posted but I wanted to use my fun words :D

ericthegreat
November 29th, 2009, 12:17 AM
You know what is undisputed as being damaging to your hair? Actually bleaching/coloring/perming/ blow-drying or any other kind of heat styling to your hair!

The bleaching/coloring/heat styling is what truly damages your hair!

Silicones can be either a good thing or a bad thing depending on your hair type and actually your personal preferences. If you plan on COing like I do every night, that is washing your hair only with conditioner, than often you will tend to pick a conditioner that doesn't have cones in it. But this has nothing to do with whether or not I color my hair or heat style. It has everything to do with me not wanting to have silicone buildup in my hair. However, for some other people, silicone actually helps to temporarily "mend" the damage done to your hair. The silicones fill in the weak spots that were dented into your hair due to whatever damage you happened to have done into your hair. So, in many cases silicones are actually GOOD for certain types of people with certain types of concerns with their hair! So, in summary I would not avoid silicones. I would much rather try to avoid the bleaching and heat styling which does TONS more damage than silicones ever could on your hair.

rogue_psyche
November 29th, 2009, 01:42 AM
I think ericthegreat said it very well.

Silver
November 29th, 2009, 07:26 PM
I've been using cone-products for years and at the same time, I dyed it at the same time - there was never a problem; no bad smell at all (well...the ammonia smell of course). I never heard of anything like this before. :confused:

I was also using Pantene and I liked it back then. So - no probleme there for me.

Curlsgirl
November 29th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Balderdash. Horsefeathers. Gobbledigook.

I already posted but I wanted to use my fun words :D

Oh those ARE fun words! :cheese:Mind if I use them? :D I especially like gobbledigook!

shortgoinglong
November 29th, 2009, 08:19 PM
I have dyed my hair for years and always used cones with no trouble. I do clarify once a week with a clarifying shampoo but that's it.

manderly
November 30th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Oh those ARE fun words! :cheese:Mind if I use them? :D I especially like gobbledigook!

Absolutely! Fun words were meant to be shared :D