PDA

View Full Version : Had to vent -- growing out short hair

turtlelover
November 27th, 2009, 08:13 PM
I am trying to grow out a weird version of an inverted bob, and right now, my hair -- which is stuck somewhere between wavy and curly -- is reacting very badly to a ton of choppy layers that only look good when my hair is straightened w/ a flat iron. I could get rid of the choppy layers and have more blunt ended layers which would help with poof and frizz, but I would lose a couple of inches, which would put me back in "crop" as opposed to "bob" territory. :( I am just soooo frustrated now w/ this last haircut.....it is so poofy and frizzy from these darned layers, but I don't want to fry it with a flat iron to make it look decent. Argh!!!! I need some way to get through this without going insane!!!!

Brat
November 27th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Have you tried oiling it lightly? Might help with the frizz?

Demetrue
November 27th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Try the Kimberlilly (?) defrizz solution made with some aloe vera gel, jojoba oil and glycerine. I just put a drop of each in my palms, rub them together, then smooth them through my hair to keep frizz at bay. Also, do not use a hairbrush.

Lady_Evalyn
November 27th, 2009, 08:21 PM
It looks like it might be long enough to wear up. Why not just wear it up for a while?

turtlelover
November 27th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I wish I could wear it up, but the back is shorter than the front, and it looks weird even when I try to pull up the sides at this point. Maybe that would be an option if I can make it another couple of months and get it trimmed more straight across at the bottom.

manderly
November 27th, 2009, 09:22 PM
You're at a length where I would personally advise you to use heat styling if necessary to make it look decent until it gets a little more length and weight.

In the great scheme of things, we're only talking about a small amount of hair that you will be damaging, and you will be able to trim off any subsequent damage once you hit a more manageable length such as APL or BSL. You would essentially stall out to a degree at these lengths while you cut back any icky ends, but you can also do updos and satisfactorily air-dry and style your hair at that length.

I would also suggest lots of styling products (if you use them) and having fun with headbands, scarfs, clips, and bobby pins to create cute styles. You can also experiment with air-drying your hair while bobbypinned flat to help ease you through this tough time.

Just yesterday I had to talk my mom out of going to the salon to have the "reshape" her hair because she has "poodle ears". I had to remind her that if she does that, she'll just have poodle ears again in a few months and the only way to get rid of them is to grow them out unless she wants a mullet. :lol: I advised headbands and hairclips.

Bottom line, heat styling is not the great evil. It can be used for good, especially in the early days of growing out. Good luck :)

natorade
November 27th, 2009, 09:37 PM
The back of my hair has been growing out faster than the front of my hair, so I have been using clip in entensions in the front to make my hair look more even. The only thing with the clip ins is that they are a little tricky to hide due to my layers in the front, I have to slightly curl my hair with the curling iron to make it all blend. I oil my hair and do protein treatments to help curb damage. Unfortunately some people have to use a styling devise temporarily. I know how frustrated you feel about growing out short hair with layers.

LilacTea
November 27th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I feel your pain! I statred growing out the exact same style you have 1 and a half years ago. It gets better, but is so awkward at first. I waited for it to grow out long enough to have it blunt cut to chin length. From there, I've just tried to keep trims to a minnimum, and it's gone really well. If you are okay with losing some length that might be something worth trying. Good luck!

RancheroTheBee
November 28th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Wow. I quite literally dealt with exactly the same thing: frizz, annoying inverted bob, etc. It's a horrible, horrible stage that I would wish on no-one. (Uhm, not that you weren't frustrated already.)

You are just going to have to forget about the layers for a few months. In a little while, the weight will hold your curls down a little and make it more manageable. If you cut into a blunt shape now, you will get a mushroom shaped head, believe me.

Don't iron (as this just makes layers look very frayed after a while) but do experiment with products like gel, which can really help, and a leave-in conditioner. I would also suggest cutting out heat styling because it'll help you leap through the next few stages without needing to trim, which you may really appreciate right now.

ETA: Then again, you can iron if it makes it look better than just gelling it. I just have pretty easily damaged hair, and ironing never did much for me.

hmmm
November 28th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Can you tuck your hair under at the nape of your neck and pin it? It'll look like a bob, and get all the extra hair out of your way. I tried this with good results, but I have somewhat uniform layers, and most of my hair is chin length, with the rest of it down my neck. It makes it look quite neat when the ends are sticking out and acting funny.
If you can get it into a ponytail, you can tie it first and then tuck under. Also, I don't know how to do this with bobby pins, I use this type (http://www.kangarooboo.com/product_images/17686/6233_medium.jpg).

darkwaves
November 28th, 2009, 02:02 PM
A few suggestions...

You say you are wavy and curly, and have typed yourself 2c/3a -- why not start treating your hair as curly hair? (There is a curly/wurly thread here with lots of ideas, or Lorraine Massey's Curly Girl book is great... There is a WikiHow on that here (http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair). Curly hides a multitude of irregularities!

Next, if the bob is too inverted, consider a slight trim to even it. At your length, you may need a few reshaping cuts before you are ready to grow down.

Good luck!

(And yes, I've grown down from pixie through bob, layers and wings and all... barrettes and mini-clips saved me! And for what it's worth, your hair type looks fairly similar to mine, too.)

Friesiangirl
November 28th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I only managed to survive that phase through the use of randomly cutting off the most annoying pieces (bad idea....), lots of gel, cute hair clips and patience. I'm so sorry for you, because this stage is so frustrating.

Good wishes your way!

Hayley

Ally<3
November 28th, 2009, 05:00 PM
I'd pin it up with bobbypins and ride it out. I'd suggest getting out of the hot tools habit now, and not waiting til it gets longer, as it will be in worse condition when it IS longer. Don't chop off the layers as this will be a few steps back for you. It should only be a few months an your hair will be out of this stage.

Lamb
November 28th, 2009, 05:05 PM
I think my hair is even shorter than yours, and wurly-curly to boot. It is awkward. :rolleyes:
Hang in there! Here are a couple of inspirational threads:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=23521

http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=32852

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=16839

CrisDee
November 28th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I feel for you as well, I'm growing out a 2" pixie, and it's at that awful shaggy stage where it flips out into bat wings around my ears, and has a Joe Dirt mullet in the back. Ugh! I like the trim it more even suggestion, I'm hoping to do that soon myself.

turtlelover
November 29th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I gave in today and straightened it and it looks GREAT straightened. I might just keep flat ironing for awhile until it has a bit more weight and I can get rid of my choppy ends. I've always had pretty durable hair.