PDA

View Full Version : Should I Trim?

truwave
November 27th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Hello all,
I'm new here, and I'm facing quite a problematic conundrum. My current hair length is just past shoulder. Throughout the year I was going in for regular trims about every 2 months. Unfortunately, the stylist always cuts too much off. The problem is, I tell them specifically that I am trying to grow it long, and leave it up to their discretion as to how much to take off, and the result has been very little progress in my hair growth. Additionally, the last cut I got deeply thinned out my hair :(.
Anyway, I decided to quit the hairdresser for a while. It has been about 4 months now, and I'm finally getting some progress (from above sl to just below).
I will be in Toronto for Christmas where I will be able to go to a highly recommended stylist that I found on naturallycurly.com, my ends are in okay condition, not a lot of splits, but they are very dry. If I do not take this opportunity to get my hair trimmed/shapped now, I will not be back to Toronto for another year, and good stylists are hard to find in small towns. Should I bite the bullet and get a trim now (damage control), or should I live with the dry ends and wait until next year?
Thanks in advance for all your help!:o

Leah Polamalu
November 27th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Go for a trim, it sounds like you really want to. If you cut the dryness off now, imagine how much nicer your hair will be in one year. If you let it grow with the dryness and wait until next year to cut it, you may end up with further dryness/damage.

Fairlight63
November 27th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I say go for the trim also. If you don't you may get fid up with the dry ends of your hair & go to the stylist that cuts too much off & be back where you started from.
Maybe you can get some tips from the new stylists on how to work with your ends so that they don't get dry in the future.

danacc
November 27th, 2009, 05:14 PM
It sounds like you'd be most comfortable with taking the opportunity and getting the trim. Before you go, decide what is important to you and discuss it with the stylist. If a trim of no less than 1/2" is important, for example, let the stylist know. Show it on your hair. If you'd rather leave it to the stylist's discretion, that's fine, too.

If your goal is to remove damage and provide minimal shaping based on the damage removal, but no more than that, be clear that is the goal. The same thing for layers or lack of them, or any other considerations. If you have guidelines you want them to follow, discuss them.

I'm excited for you--I hope it turns out great!

smilinjenn71
November 27th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I also say trim....after all.....it's justshudder:..... wait for it .....shudder:.....HAIR!:p It *will* grow back!!! That's the glorious and wonderous ways of hair.

In all seriousness, it sounds like you would enjoy going to a good stylist while in Toronto and considering you won't be back for another year, go for it! In that year you will gain everything you get trimmed & then some. ENJOY!!

truwave
November 27th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Thank you for all your responses :). I really appreciate them. I love this site !
I think will go for it. Jenn, I'll keep in mind what you said and walk in there with very specific details of what I want. I'll let you know how it turns out.:disco:

Clarisse
November 28th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I'm not sure about whether or not my post is too late, but you could consider self-trimming, using Feye's self-trim-method. Trimming 1 cm off every 3rd month should leave you with about 8 - 14 cm of new healthy growth a year. That would make you APL within a year :)

patissegrietje
November 28th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I think you should go for the trim too.
If you don't you might not like the way your hair looks next year and feel tempted to cut even more ;-)

spidermom
November 28th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Go for the trim, but be very specific, as in "I would like 1/2-inch trimmed off the very longest bits."

JamieLeigh
December 1st, 2009, 09:04 AM
It definitely sounds like you'd be happier with a trim, but it also sounds like you haven't found the right stylist yet. Be EXTREMELY specific, take a ruler and a witness, as enfys says. :p