PDA

View Full Version : Are Ficcares coated with Nickel?

Wicked Princess
November 27th, 2009, 12:59 AM
I don't have much in the way of hair toys...for the most part, I like the subtlety of a single stick, or small handful of hairpins. But everyone's pictures of their Ficcares inspired me to head to their website and see if there are any designs in particular I like!

However, now that I'm looking at them, many of the ones I want have metal borders, or metal plating - and my skin is highly allergic to nickel (among other things...my skin is quite persnickety :o). It is enough that I have noticed a reaction from a hair accessory before. I stopped using it immediately, and don't really put much as far as metal goes in my hair since then.

((I've also tried e-mailing them, but haven't received a response yet))

Does anyone who owns a Ficcare happen to know if the metal areas are coating with nickel?

Also, if anyone who owns a Ficcare and also is allergic to nickel...I'd love to hear if it bothered your skin any!

Thanks for any information you can give me, all. :D

sapphire-o
November 27th, 2009, 01:20 AM
All my silver-colored ones came with a tag saying "Sterling silver plated". I'm not sure what's under it if the plating wear off, though. I think you should just call them and ask. :)

Nini
November 27th, 2009, 02:53 AM
I've got somewhat sensitive skin, and I use my Ficcare's all the time.

I'm sure they'll get back to you soon with an answer though, as I find their service excellent!

Nini

frizzinator
November 27th, 2009, 05:24 AM
The underside of every Ficcare I've seen looks like aluminum, even the gold color Ficcare backside looks like gold colored aluminum and the underside usually is the side that makes contact with skin. The ones that are silver plated are only silver plated on top of the clip.

Aluminum is the logical choice of metals for a hair clip because it is lightweight and weight is a big issue with metal hair accessories. I doubt there is any nickel alloyed into the metal used to make the underside of a Ficcare. Nickel is heavy, plus it's only advantage is in it's bright polish, which is not needed on the underside of a hair clip.

edited:
I just wanted to add that if you are allergic to nickel, watch out for "white gold" jewelry, which is often yellow gold alloyed with nickel to make the gold white.

Heidi_234
November 27th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Speaking of metals - can ficcares go rusty? Can one wear them in damp hair, or get caught in the rain with a ficcare?

rach
November 27th, 2009, 05:37 AM
i use them when i have wet hair. bad i know testing this but nope, no signs of rust. i like my ficcares, they are my lazy day clips :p

Redheaded Raven
November 27th, 2009, 05:37 AM
I was wondering the same thing, So if you find out please let us know.

rach
November 27th, 2009, 05:39 AM
nickel is thought of allot now days in many products because soo many people have problems with it (myself included).

rach
November 27th, 2009, 05:41 AM
I was wondering the same thing, So if you find out please let us know.

i've done it since i bought my first one in april and it's still ok :D

akurah
November 27th, 2009, 06:22 AM
I am allergic to nickel and have no problems with my Ficcares, but ymmv. I don't think they have nickel in them (and if they do, they shouldn't be charging so damn much, imo)

Xandergrammy
November 27th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I have a nickel allergy (it's a pretty severe on that I've had since I was a teenager). I also have lots of Ficcares that I wear constantly and have never had any type of reaction. Thank goodness. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't wear my Ficcares!!!