PDA

View Full Version : Different hair textures?

Fractalsofhair
November 26th, 2009, 09:01 PM
When I was brushing my hair today, I had a hair that wouldn't lie down, so I plucked it(Bad! I know! But it was Thanksgiving!). When I pulled it out, it was blue black(really strong blue tint actually), very coarse and had a bleached split end at about where I last bleached my hair. (Last 1-2 inches) It was very wavy, and seemed dry.

Upon looking at the hairs on the back of my head, the reason my hair is darker there is because of quite a few of these hairs, except they're on the underlayer,and the blonde hair in the back of my head is much finer than the ones on the front.

So, what the heck does this mean? Is there any way to get my hair a uniform texture? How do I care for the other hairs? I've been basing it off my canopy hairs, not the back of my head hairs, and nobody has never commented on these hairs before!

Arctic
November 27th, 2009, 01:54 AM
It is very common to have different textures. I guess for most times we just don't notice it. I too have hairs from fine and smooth to very coarse and wiry.

Shastrix
November 27th, 2009, 02:15 AM
I agree that it is common to have lots of different textures. I'm not sure that there is in fact any way of changing your hair texture (short of drastic things like chemotherapy); in the end, it is down to genetics and what kinds of hair individual follicles are programmed to produce.

I've mentioned on these boards before how my hair ranges from thick black wires to translucent white hairs. I believe it contributes to the tangliness of my hair and some of the unwanted volume. The only way I have found to get my hair texture uniform is to use straighteners to flatten out the minority curly hairs - although obviously that isn't desirable. :undecided

Heidi_234
November 27th, 2009, 06:49 AM
You've got head pubes*! :laugh: Welcome to the club. I think most, if not all, people got them. I have alot of coarse wiry hairs, but since my hair is dark I don't see color difference.

*credit to Dianyla

RoseRedDead
November 27th, 2009, 06:56 AM
I have head pubes as well, but it all seems to be scattered throughout my canopy... It's very dark brown, almost black, very coarse, and has zig-zags (like some of the 4 [4a, 4b, etc] hairtypes).

I think everybody has it. There's probably a hormonal reason for it.

myrrhmaiden
November 27th, 2009, 07:07 AM
My side and nape hairs are pubescent. Wiry and darker.

pepperminttea
November 27th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I have head pubes as well, but it all seems to be scattered throughout my canopy... It's very dark brown, almost black, very coarse, and has zig-zags (like some of the 4 [4a, 4b, etc] hairtypes).

I think everybody has it. There's probably a hormonal reason for it.

I get these too, same kind although less zig-zaggy - and used to pluck. I've been trying to condition myself around to the idea that it's all my hair, it's all good stuff, but I still find myself fighting the urge to yank out any I find. I just figured it was a sign of my hair aging.

RoseRedDead
November 28th, 2009, 05:51 AM
I just figured it was a sign of my hair aging.

One interesting hypothesis I have heard (put forward by my cousin's wife, also a long hair) is that these head pubes hairs are going to be our greys - they have just not gone grey yet. Of course, there's really no evidence to back this up.

Fractalsofhair
November 28th, 2009, 02:43 PM
XD. The hair pubes are coarser than real pubes! Darn it! XD That was actually partially why it surprised me, as none of my other hair is that coarse. Well, my eyelashes are almost, but I have very coarse eyelashes.

I'm honestly not sure about the whole gray idea, because I know the hair in the front of my head seems to be getting lighter. (Though, I hope I'm not going gray yet!) People in my family tend to gray first at the front and temples, and then never gray fully at the back, where I have the dark colored hairs. Everyone else in my family has hair the color of the one that I pulled out, and it varies between coarse and fine depending on the person, but some people do have hair that texture(One of my cousins.) all over their head.

I do have a lot of very fine blueish white z hairs that break off an inch or so from my scalp, and a lot of corkscrew hairs scattered randomly, that also break off very short. I've never included those in my hair typing since the most they do is give me volume.

What concerns me more than the different colors is that they're mostly split and very damaged at the end, which surprises me as my hair is more resilient in the back, but I'd think the damage wouldn't be so bad.

Also, it's probably at least 25% of the hairs in the back of my scalp are like that, which is a little surprising as I've never had anyone comment on it. There's a streak that my mother noticed in the middle of my hair that is almost all black, but it's wide and thin, so it's not noticeable. I have a few in the front as well, and when my hair was longer and I used to play with it, I never remember finding black hairs in it, but there's a good scattering now. I would probably agree that it's possibly hormonal in that case.

Ally<3
November 28th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I don't know if this is relevent, but the other day I found a WHITE hair growing out of my head. It's the only one I've found. Surely I'm not greying at 19?

Backliteyes
November 28th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I don't know if this is relevent, but the other day I found a WHITE hair growing out of my head. It's the only one I've found. Surely I'm not greying at 19?
My mother found her first gray hair at 17 I think. She's now pushing 50 and her hair is 70&#37; white at least. You may be getting on the gray train earlier than some other people. Who knows though.

Fractalsofhair
November 28th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Ally, it probably depends on if it's a new hair or not. If it's a new gray, I suppose it's possible, I know guys who started balding at age 16! But, I wouldn't think much of it unless more pop up.