PDA

View Full Version : in need of protein?

Fethenwen
November 26th, 2009, 04:35 AM
If I have understood things right, seems like my hair is in serious need for protein right now. (I have been sick for a few days and have not been washing my hair for many days, yesterday I did a WO wash), and today it is a disaster.

My hair is static, brittle and when I took a shed hair to snap it off into two, it snapped really weird. Like stretched a lot before it snapped into a thin sorta curl. I got a lot of flyaways that look transparent with taper after I tried to brush my hair.

I guess this thread could give further clarification to others too, about how hair feels like when it is in need for extra protein.

So, would you guys suggest eggs and ACV rinse? I would gladly do such a treatment, we happen to have a lot of eggs right now at home.

aisling
November 26th, 2009, 04:45 AM
I'm not sure I'd throw any protein into that, I'd clarify and use a moisturising conditioner instead, I guess you didn't use anything after the WO wash?

Besides, I also believe that normal egg protein won't work as a protein treatment, that protein can't be used. It's the hydrolysed type used in hair products our hair can use.

Fethenwen
November 26th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Hmm, no I did not use anything after the WO wash. Yeah, I guess it is a possibility that my hair is just full of gunk and needs to be clarified.

BlndeInDisguise
November 26th, 2009, 06:33 AM
If you stretch it (when it's wet) and then release it, does it shrink back to it's normal size, or does it stay all stretched out?

Arctic
November 26th, 2009, 06:39 AM
this is an excellent article about moisture-protein balance: link (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?cat=69)

Fethenwen
November 26th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Wow, this is way weird. It stays stretched out, and it doesn't even shrink back to it's normal size. I don't think I've ever seen my hair behave this way.

BlndeInDisguise
November 26th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Wow, this is way weird. It stays stretched out, and it doesn't even shrink back to it's normal size. I don't think I've ever seen my hair behave this way.

That, apparently means you need protein. If it breaks right away, you need moisture, if it stays stretched out, you need protein, but if it stretches and then returns to normal, you're good, or so I've read. ;)

Fethenwen
November 26th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Thanks for clearing things up :)

Arctic, now that article was very informative, thanks!

Just to report, I shampooed and used an egg treatment for just an hour ago, it seems to actually have worked! My hair feels totally different now, and is very very shiny. hurrah!

aisling
November 26th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Let me guess, it was actually the clarifying that did the trick ;)

Fethenwen
November 26th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Might be that also, but my hair is now better than it has been for months. I have been using shampoo about once a week, and it did not turn out like this those times.

Heidi_234
November 26th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Proteins in the egg are too big to enter the hair shaft. Eggs have other very hair yammy properties that make it feel great. But I'm glad it did something good for you in any case!

Fethenwen
November 26th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Aah, I thought as much. Well protein or not, it sure was a good treatment :)

jojo
November 26th, 2009, 07:05 PM
@ BlndeInDisguise- thanks for sharing that, I was just going to post something about how to tell. My hair stretches about half its length again and then springs back to how it was before, no kinks or breaks, so all good!

I was worried I was giving my hair too much moisture, now I know I am not, I can carry on with my routine!