PDA

View Full Version : Are microfiber towels really safe for hair?

intothemist1999
November 25th, 2009, 09:38 PM
I've been tempted to for some time to try a microfiber towel, and especially now that I have a new routine where a thin towel is preferable. I have one thin terry bath towel that I'm using for my upside-down turban, but I have only the one so I have to use it a few times, and go without when it's in the wash.

I almost bought a microfiber towel at the hardware store because it was a good size (although toted for washing cars! lol). I got turned off though when I was looking at another MF towel and the package said to make sure to test it on the surface as it could scratch.

Then I remembered...

I gave up a microfiber cloth for my eyeglass lenses because they scratched the lenses, even though it was made for glasses. Also, I notice that when my skin is dry, handling microfiber makes me think, "I wonder if this what shark feels like?!" because it's so "grainy" or something, and sticks to my skin like velcro.

I got to wondering how safe it can be for hair. I used to use a MF turbie, and it felt funny on the skin of my hands, too. I never used it to blot or rub the hair, so never thought too much about it maybe damaging the hair.

angelthadiva
November 25th, 2009, 09:51 PM
I have two. Both are Aquis. I had thought of getting those big car drying styles, but I found the two I have rather inexpensively at T.J. Maxx. I think for about $10. I love mine and they are the only towels that touch DD and my hair. They are very absorbent and cut down on my drying/dripping time.

intothemist1999
November 25th, 2009, 09:56 PM
I have two. Both are Aquis. I had thought of getting those big car drying styles, but I found the two I have rather inexpensively at T.J. Maxx. I think for about $10.

I guess that's a dept store? Are they found in the regular towel sections?

angelthadiva
November 25th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Sorry, I thought you were in the US. Yes, it is. They sell things at a discount. DH bought my first Aquis @ Bed Bath and Beyond and spent about twice as much for the same towel.

kwaniesiam
November 25th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I have two. Both are Aquis. I had thought of getting those big car drying styles, but I found the two I have rather inexpensively at T.J. Maxx. I think for about $10. I love mine and they are the only towels that touch DD and my hair. They are very absorbent and cut down on my drying/dripping time.

I have an Aquis towel, they're amazing in the winter when wet hair is extremely unpleasant to deal with for hours on end. I don't see how they'd be that damaging in the long run as long as you aren't rubbing it around and snagging your hair with them :shrug:

Teacherbear
November 25th, 2009, 11:57 PM
My Aquis towel is my preferred turbie like towel. So I'd say it is fine for hair. I haven't noticed any problems.

jessie58
November 26th, 2009, 12:02 AM
I really think I should look into getting one of those.

I wonder where to buy here in Canada. I bought a couple of imposter towels but they're not that great.

Hiriel
November 26th, 2009, 02:38 AM
I really think I should look into getting one of those.

I wonder where to buy here in Canada. I bought a couple of imposter towels but they're not that great.

I'm not in Canada, but I found my microfibre towel in a sports store, in the swimming section.

Nini
November 26th, 2009, 02:59 AM
You could also look for them in pet shops, as they're often used for dogs;)

jessie58
November 26th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Oh great ideas Hiriel and Nini. :)

pilateschick7
November 26th, 2009, 05:52 AM
I had a micro fiber towel and used it for a few months. After I dried the towel in the dryer it seemed rougher and fell out of my rotation.

Personally I have better luck with a soft cotton dish drying towel made out of flour sack material.

Tapioca
November 26th, 2009, 06:01 AM
I have a microfiber towel that I got at PetSmart. It's meant for drying dogs, but works great for me. It did state on the package not to dry it in the dryer or use fabric softener on it. I line-dry it, and it still works great! (I need a new one, though. I've had it for a few years, and it's starting to come apart at the edges. It's also not as white as it once was, from henna drips.)

Carolyn
November 26th, 2009, 07:09 AM
I got a nice one in the auto accessory section of Target. I also have one from B & BW but I don't like it. It's really stiff and I don't think it absorbs much.

paisley
November 26th, 2009, 07:31 AM
I've got a really smooth sports towel from Everest. I like it. Though it was expensive. There are two types of microfiber cloths - the kind that sticks to your skin and the one that's smooth like the skin you use for polishing cars (don't know the word for it).

truwave
November 26th, 2009, 07:35 AM
I'm pretty sure they sell them at Shoppers Drug Mart, and I think I've seen them at Sobey's

truwave
November 26th, 2009, 07:36 AM
I've been using an Aquis one, not sure if I notice any real difference.

intothemist1999
November 26th, 2009, 07:36 AM
jessie, I found the microfibre car towels at Canadian Tire. The big ones are in the automotive section, they have smaller ones for cleaning in the housewares dept. (Can. Tire is the only place I've found big ones).

jessie58
November 26th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks intothemist!

So is sounds like there are different types and some work better than others. How does one know which one will be best?
I am reading that the people here who use the Aquis ones really like them. Are there any more name brands that you would recommend?

angelthadiva
November 26th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Not sure if the auto/dog types are the same, but I don't put mine through the dryer at all. I only wash it occasionally, and do it on a gentle cycle and let it air dry.

Culdayne
November 26th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I think I'll try the car isle also. I paid a lot for mine at Bed Bath & Beyond and it was beyond scratchy... :rolleyes: