PDA

View Full Version : I just pulled this knot out of my hair...

Hydrilus
November 25th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Is this bad? lol I mean I pull single hairs out every now and then but nothing like this!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/Hydrilus/IMG_1259.jpg

danacc
November 25th, 2009, 08:40 PM
My shed hair often knots up as it moves down the length. I keep it up all day, so several hairs shed together when I take it down. Especially after a scalp massage which tends to loosen several at a time, I'll get shed hair that knot just like that.

I assume this "knot" came out easily, and it's not that you snapped hairs to free it. If so, and if you're not suddenly shedding a lot more strands than usual, it's nothing to worry about.

Brat
November 25th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I get those occasionally too

motormuffin
November 25th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I hate that! That doesn't look too bad though...

JenniferNoel
November 25th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I get those little pests once in a while myself, you just have to be really gentle when pulling them out to make sure you don't lose more hair than necessary. I pulled one out a little too rough (being highly frustrated with the knot) when I was about 12, and ended up in a lot of pain because I pulled out an enormous clump of hair that wasn't even involved in the knot in the first place. :(
That was then... ;)

Hydrilus
November 25th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I was finger combing a bit tonight and found this knot I guess, and was detangling it. I thought I'd got it detangled and when I ran my fingers through again, that entire piece came out freely. Never had that happen before so it was a "whoa!" moment for me hehe

WyrdWay
November 25th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I keep it up all day, so several hairs shed together when I take it down.

Me too, the longer I go without detangling the more often this happens

Speckla
November 25th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I get those often. A bunch of shed hairs curl around each other. Looks like a hairy octopus.

Longlocks3
November 25th, 2009, 09:16 PM
I pull something very similar out of my hair once in a while. It's a very bad knot! For me it means I need to do a heavy oiling or a deep moisturizing treatment.

I wouldn't worry too much, unless it's happening everyday!

Kitten87
November 25th, 2009, 09:42 PM
When my hair was long (ohhh... about 10 years ago) I used to get knots like that on a daily basis. But I was only 12 and didn't care about my hair the way I do now.

Leah Polamalu
November 25th, 2009, 09:44 PM
I get those on the bottom (under?) layer of my hair, right where my scalp meets the hair. Pain in the butt.

adiapalic
November 25th, 2009, 10:32 PM
I've had these before. They make me sad to see, but it happens.

Usually when rubber band--even the ouchless kind, which are all I use--get snagged, and I become impatient while pulling it out.

Sometimes when I'm using my widetooth comb I'll become a little overzealous with the combing and snag a knot--before I know it, all that hair is ripped out.

23_seconds
November 25th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Count me in as one of them that get these types of knots occasionally. I get these mainly when I'm putting my hair up with a tie, even if they're the ouchless kind, like adiapalic mentioned.

BlndeInDisguise
November 26th, 2009, 06:41 AM
I get those once in a while, too. I usually take a pin and try to loosen the knot. It usually works, but if not, I use my hair scissors and cut the hair right above the knot. I hate doing it, but sometimes they're impossible to get out!

Furyah
November 26th, 2009, 07:00 AM
No worries! this happens :)

But, if you pulled a lot to take it out, it would be a good idea juste to check where it happened in your hair; and trying to find where some damaged single hair may be, and cut each hair above damage. You won't see the difference. It's important to me, as you may end up with more and more knotted together hair; which would be much more damaging.

Peter
November 26th, 2009, 08:04 AM
I get knots like that occasionally. I don't think it's an issue unless it's happening a lot.

Gothic Lolita
November 26th, 2009, 08:34 AM
I often shed something like this too. At frist I was horrified, but my mother (former stylist) told me that it was just a couple of shed hair that got tangled up into a knot and that it isn't as much hair as it might look like. Since I condition my length even heavier than I did before, I get these shedding knot less often.

Anje
November 26th, 2009, 10:58 AM
I get stuff like that fairly regularly. Kinda sucks.

One of the major changes I've made since joining LHC is to comb more slowly, so I can stop when I encounter one of those before I majorly stretch or break the hairs. They can be untied with a bit of time and damage to only a few of the hairs forming the knot. Any that remain particularly kinked get S&Ded before they tie themselves around more hairs, though. Kinked hairs tend to like to re-form knots.

ooo
November 26th, 2009, 12:33 PM
I get them too sometimes. Usually there is a little bit of dust in the middle.

nowxisxforever
November 26th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Probably just a lot of shed strands gotten tangled! No fun.
I have tangles bigger than that sometimes and always slowly finger-work them out.

shadowclaw
November 26th, 2009, 02:31 PM
I get these knots, too. Usually on the bottom layer of hair that sits on my back when it's down. I don't consider them to be an abnormality or really bad. But they are annoying!

Kat
November 27th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Oh, gosh, I get those and bigger all the time! :)

CaityBear
November 27th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I get that, too. I don't think it's too bad. It could be a build up of shedded hairs that got knotted. Or a knot that was partially shedded. *shrug*

pepperminttea
November 27th, 2009, 05:53 PM
I get these if I leave braids in for longer than a day. Oops...

Kris Dove
November 27th, 2009, 07:25 PM
I get that from time to time as well, especially if I fall asleep on loose hair...

spidermom
November 27th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Oh yes - looks familiar - I've had to cut a few of those out when my best detangling efforts didn't work.

julliams
November 28th, 2009, 06:09 PM
That looks totally normal to me - lol

Juliette