PDA

View Full Version : Question about dusting

pittsburgpam
November 25th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I've started dusting since I read it here. For years I have just cut off the thin ends a few times a year, usually around 3 inches. No big mystery why my hair wasn't getting past waste length.

Anyway, my question has to do with the ends with tiny white dots. Blowouts is what I call them. Sometimes I will find one further up the shaft. I have cut off every split end I can find and I've started on the white spots. Do you also cut these off? I hate cutting off ones that are an inch up the shaft but I figure it's going to break and split there if I don't.

danacc
November 25th, 2009, 07:49 PM
I cut them for the very reason you state: it's just a matter of time before they break and create a damaged end. I'd rather a cut end.

It's hard when they're several inches away from the end of the strand, though. :(

eyesofsummer
November 25th, 2009, 07:50 PM
I try to cut the white dots when I dust. They're weakened, damaged hair, so they're going to break at some point and leave a ragged end...may as well get them before they split farther up the hair shaft.

Ah I need to dust so badly! I have dots, knots, splits, branches, bleh!

Carolyn
November 25th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Yes, if it's truly a white dot you do need to snip just above the dot. It's going to break. Snipping off that hair just above the dot will prevent the damage from going further up the hair shaft. Test each hair before you snip it. Check to see if there is a "hinge" at the dot. Sometimes hair lint will masquerade as a white dot. Run your fingers down the hair and see if the lint will wipe off. If not gently bend the hair at the dot and check for the "hinge" affect. Snip off if needed. Some of my white dots are 3 or 4" up from the ends.

When you braid your hair leave a nice long tassel of 4-6". Go through your tassel and look for split ends.

pittsburgpam
November 25th, 2009, 08:04 PM
It's hard to cut them but nice that I'm not alone in that.

I do make sure it's a dot because I have seen lint that looked like one. :cool:

Made me laugh about leaving a long tail. It's braided now with a 6 inch tail and I've been sitting here going through it looking for spots and splits. :)

jojo
November 25th, 2009, 08:04 PM
If you have white dots ( i call them split embryo's! the unhatched splits!) and dust a lot, i am wondering if your scissors are getting blunt. Blunt scissors can cause splits, maybe this is a reason you are getting them?

I cannot be bothered with S&D's for this reason, the more I trimmed, the more i got. since going to a hairdresser I have hardly any splits. Id check your scissors.

pittsburgpam
November 25th, 2009, 08:10 PM
I am using small, almost brand new Fons & Porter scissors. They are SHARP so I don't think it's the scissors. There aren't tons of them but I will cut off all I can find and then see how often I get them and if the clean ends start getting them.

RancheroTheBee
November 25th, 2009, 08:49 PM
If you have white dots ( i call them split embryo's! the unhatched splits!) and dust a lot, i am wondering if your scissors are getting blunt. Blunt scissors can cause splits, maybe this is a reason you are getting them?

I cannot be bothered with S&D's for this reason, the more I trimmed, the more i got. since going to a hairdresser I have hardly any splits. Id check your scissors.

:laugh: "Split embryos". I love that. I think that should be the official term.

jojo
November 26th, 2009, 05:27 PM
So do I! ha!