PDA

View Full Version : Hair care for those who dye their hair

boomygrrl
November 25th, 2009, 10:47 AM
What are some tips on how to take care of your hair, while also wanting to maintain the color?

Are oils bad? how about sulfates? proteins? glycerin? silicones?
What is the reason for waiting 48-72 hours to wash hair afterwards?

Thanks in advance,

Boomygrrl

Cherry_Sprinkle
November 25th, 2009, 10:50 AM
I oil every day, silicones are personal preference, sulfates will fade your color.. I color and henna over top of that.. I use shampoo bars without sulfates or cones, and deep condition often and oil daily. My routine is on my About Me page. :)

Speckla
November 25th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Waiting gives the hair shafts time to close so more of the color will stay. I've used olive oil and coconut oil when using commercial dyes and never had trouble with fading. Sulfates can make it fade faster, silicones can make it feel softer and shinier, glycerin I don't know.. :) Cowashing or CG method works great too. I'm on week six of no poo.

RancheroTheBee
November 25th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I use a semi-permanent to color to cut down on the damage, and I'm considering doing a henndigo or indigo color to really shackle everything down.

I also use sulphate-free (mostly for my scalp's health) and I also don't use 'cones.

It's actually mostly up to you to see what works best. There's no set rules.

:flower: Welcome to LHC.

kimannabella
November 25th, 2009, 11:48 AM
CO! I went 2 months like that, no fading whatsoever. But then my scalp got itchy so I went back to shampoo.

Protein treatment lifted my colour a teeny bit. Silicones[when I used them] no difference at all.

I think you should be careful with rinses,also. If you have lighter hair for instance, some can darken it.

most oils, jojoba,coconut, olive etc are ok. Although I used emu oil for ear massages[before I found out it's from dead emu's-yuk!]and tried it as a treatment once, it darkened the hair slightly.

ravenreed
November 25th, 2009, 11:54 AM
I have been dyeing since I was sixteen. About a year ago, I switched to demi-permanent. I have been CO-ing for about that long. I use oils and have not noticed it doing anything horrible to the color.

ccmuffingirl
November 25th, 2009, 12:26 PM
If you dye or chemically service your hair, it's best to stay away from sulfates for a period of time. There are other shampoo lines you can use (Giovanni, Pureology, Aubrey Organics, etc...). It can fade your color and dry out your hair. Protein is useful in strengthening the hair and repairing damaged sections, but you want to be sure not to use too much, or it can have the opposite affect.. I don't think there's anything wrong with oils. After coloring one's hair and scalp might be a tad dry and a bit of oil might help that situation out. Silicones definitely serve their purpose if you heat style your hair. It provides protection, but they need to be cleansed out with a surfactant. Many sulfate-free cleansers contain mild surfactants, so you may not have to totally rule out cones. I've heard potentially nasty things about all of those things, but IMO, everything can potentially be bad for you if you overuse them. A person just has to find out what amounts work for them.

grldollies
November 25th, 2009, 03:14 PM
What are some tips on how to take care of your hair, while also wanting to maintain the color?
Are oils bad? how about sulfates? proteins? glycerin? silicones?
What is the reason for waiting 48-72 hours to wash hair afterwards? Thanks in advance, Boomygrrl

Very important – to keep your hair from fading and color to set/stick DO NOT wash for a couple of days.
I use a protein filler from Sally’s as an additive to my color to make it take better. Colorful Neutral Protein Filler 4oz. By: Colorful Products About $6. I never have fading. But my hair is only a little lighter naturally. Its best to not go to far from your natural hair color so when it grows out it is not so noticeable and less hassel.

Stay away from Sulfites, Cones are more bad then good, but it depends on your hair type if they benefit. If you have thin hair & a lot of brakeage it can help calm them down till you grow it out. I try to limit them. Sometimes I use proteins but I go light on them. I like Silk, Collagen, Panthenol-b5. Soy Protein, Wheat Protein are ok. I oil daily mostly on ends lightly – drops and more overnight. I sometimes mix a little repair type conditioner with the oil for overnight treatment on the weekend. If you use hair spray or protectant use one with UV Filters.

I plan to try this weekend the unsulfured molasses treatment that’s been posted on LHC. A Mix of Oil, Molasses, egg yolk, raw honey (I bought royal jelly too) Sulfur is good for your hair

Remember never hurry - comb your hair slowly, use a wide tooth detangler first.
I use a Ion Conditioning Ionic-Ceramic Tourmaline Dryer (30 super-moist hybrid minerals produces super-charged natural negative ions, it drys faster & its nicer on your hair) I never dry all the way I leave the ends damp.

Main Hair Washing & Protecting Products I use -

Aveda Products - Dry Remedy Conditioner & Moisturizing Treatment Masque, Clove shampoo, Black Malva Color Conditioner Colorant for touch up, Brilliant conditioner & Emollient Finishing Gloss

Giovanni Products - Smooth As Silk Shampoo & Conditioner, Smooth as Silk Xtreme, Nutrafix Hair Reconstructor, Direct Leave-In Conditioner Weightless Moisture, Vitapro Fusion Leave-In Hair Treatment, gloss treatment

For wet comb out I use Giovanni Frizz Be Gone, Citre Shine Anti-frizz Spray Laminator Mist Shine.
Every day I finish with Hollywood Beauty Olive Oil Treatment, I try to lightly put some on my ends and top layers.

Overnight Hair Oil Treatment Used - Aura Apricot Kernel Oil, Hollywood Beauty Olive Oil Treatment, Africa’s best Ultimate Herbal Oil, Doo Gro Mega Thick Growth Oil and Coconut Oil.

I use Biosilk and Paul Mitchell Hairspray

Everyones hair is different, what products dont work for you give to a friend or relitive it may work for them. Eventully you will find what works best for you. Good Luck! :puppykisses: MinPin Lover!

jojo
November 25th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I have highlights and CO wash with one very diluted sulphate free shampoo a week. I also do 2 DC treatments with my beloved heat cap and I also oil daily with coconut oil and bun.

I have just started using CHI infusion serum which is wonderful stuff, but only plan to use this when im going out as I dont want to overload with silly cones!

boomygrrl
November 27th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Thanks to all who responded.

It's good to hear that oil doesn't fade hair color. I have some products that have oils in them (a leave-in that I love) and was wondering if it was causing my hair to fade.

I love washing my hair...I wash it 4-5 times a week (usually with a non-sulfate shampoo), I use light cones (water solubles or amodimethicone). I rarely use a sulfate shampoo-- only to clarify once every 2 weeks or so.

It's probably my frequency of washing that's causing the most problems then....I can't help it, I'm not about to give that up. Love the feel of clean hair and it just looks so much better to me.

I don't dye often anyways...usually when I can't stand seeing a lot of gray roots...so, every 2 months (give or take a week or two). That's not too bad, I guess.
But I notice my hair becomes lighter and more reddish as time goes on...I don't hate that color, I just like the fresher color better. Oh well.

Anybody else with tips for hair care of dyed hair, feel free to chime in.

Thanks again, y'all!

Boomygrrl

Demetrue
November 27th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Every time you wash, some dye molecules get washed away, even with permanant hair dye. All I can suggest is look for those shampoos that are either supposed to deposit color or protect dyed hair - dilute your shampoo so that you are using a very small amount - only shampoo once instead of twice when you wash your hair. Use luke warm water instead of hot water to wash.

grldollies
November 27th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I don't dye often anyways...usually when I can't stand seeing a lot of gray roots...so, every 2 months (give or take a week or two). That's not too bad, I guess.
But I notice my hair becomes lighter and more reddish as time goes on...I don't hate that color, I just like the fresher color better. Oh well.
Anybody else with tips for hair care of dyed hair, feel free to chime in.
l

Hey Boomygrrl,
You can use Ardell Unred Hair Color Drabber in between colors to tone down fading, oxidation and brassy casts. I used to buy it @Sally Beauty when I did the dark blond thing. Now back closer to my hair color, just a little darker.
http://www.sallybeauty.com/Unred-Colo-Drabber/ARDELL17,default,pd.html

Also Aveda makes a nice variety of "Color" shampoo's & Conditioners. I use the clove shampoo which is a nice and gentle. . Also the Black Malva Color Conditioner Colorant for touch up in between colors. I dab a tiny bit of the thick conditioner just on my (dry) part and it covers nice without any irritation for me. I usually only have to do that when I am close to coloring.

http://www.aveda.com/templates/products2/mpp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY10523&PRODCAT_ID=CATEGORY10523&PAGENUM=3

Hope this can help! Good Luck! :xmas:
- Gay : ) Qapla' :puppykisses: MinPin Lover!

boomygrrl
November 27th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I dye my hair a medium brown -- that Ardell Unred Hair Dabber looks promising. Would the Black Malva conditioner be too much for medium brown (like darken it too much)?

Curlsgirl
November 27th, 2009, 09:34 PM
You shouldn't have to clarify once every couple of weeks with a sulfate shampoo unless you use a LOT of cones. That could be part of the problem. When you put your color on it should get rid of any buildup you might have at that point. I would stay away from heavy oils too if you have a problem with fading. Just because it doesn't effect most of us doesn't mean it wouldn't you. I would use perhaps coconut or jojoba oil but maybe not olive since it is a much heavier oil and some people even use it to HELP fade color when they don't like it. Other than that, if you must use a sulfate shampoo, use one made especially for color-treated hair, one that specifially says it protects color. There are several on the market now and you don't necessarily have to buy an expensive one. Another alternative is to dilute the shampoo like 3 parts water to one part shampoo or even more water than that. I usually only use it on my scalp where I need it more and let it sort of run down the length when I am rinsing. That's quite enough and I use cones some too.

boomygrrl
November 28th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Curlsgirl, I don't usually use a sulfate shampoo. I use non-sulfate shampoos and only clarify like once every two weeks with a sulfate shampoo.

I don't oil my hair, at least not usually. I do have some oil. I was curious if oil found in my hair products (leave-in conditioners, rinse-out conditioners, etc.) could be causing fading. I'm guessing the rinse-out doesn't stay on hair long enough to matter. But the leave-in could be a problem ?? Not sure.

Grldollies, can you tell me more about the products you recommended? I checked out the links...any sulfates or cones in them? if so, which ones? It seems there are different ways to use the Unred product...how did you use it?

Thanks,

Boomygrrl

grldollies
November 30th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Grldollies, can you tell me more about the products you recommended? I checked out the links...any sulfates or cones in them? if so, which ones? It seems there are different ways to use the Unred product...how did you use it?
I dye my hair a medium brown -- that Ardell Unred Hair Dabber looks promising. Would the Black Malva conditioner be too much for medium brown (like darken it too much)?Thanks, Boomygrrl

Well - the Unred I used to add to my color to tone reds down that just loved to emerge if I did/do anything to my hair! But I do not think it would be a problem too add a drop or two to your conditioner as a treatment. Its a highly concentrated bluish purple liquid.
I think the Black Malva may be too dark - its mostly black. The clove is a nice med brown color but if it is not dark enough you can add the black Malva to deepen it. I have mixed the two myself. It washes out nicely, A little or a fair amount will stay in on the length depending how long you let it soak in. I just dab a little straight from the tube on my part in the top-back (dry) when I grow out & don't have time to do my hair. A little will soak in and cover a bit. Too much will be a leave a residue. But I don't even mind that because its better then roots! It will stain your hands, tub ect. I use bleach on a rag/sponge to wipe the stain.

AVEDA WEB SITE:

http://www.aveda.com/templates/products2/spp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY6153&PRODUCT_ID=PROD5807

Infuses brunette and black hair with cool, dark tones and diminishes red hues. Black malva helps provide moisture to hair, while black tea helps intensify deep hues and purify the scalp.
• Deep-conditions• Leaves hair lightweight and manageable• For brunette or black hairApply to hair that has been shampooed with Black Malva Color Shampoo. Comb through. Leave on 2-5 minutes. Use every 2-3 shampoos for consistent, lasting color enhancement.

CLOVE Cond.
Enriches warm tones in medium brown shades of hair. Contains organically grown clove to help enhance warm tones and purify the scalp. Organically grown coffee helps to intensify brown shades.
• Deep-conditions• Leaves hair lightweight and manageable• For brunettes and honey shades• Not intended for lighter shades

I Found a it has a cone but it is way low on the list almost the end. So the amount is small. Its not where the ones are on the list, thats listed below. Dimethicone is whats on my tube just before the fragrance. The below list may be an old formula. I think the Ingredients are close. Most ingredients are on both my tube & this list I found on line.

Most color enhancement conditioners has them - "cones" and I had a allergic reaction to a couple I tried but not this one. This one has more natural ingredients in it & has been great for me. :D If I have time this week I will type it out directly from the tube for you.

Ingredients
Aqueous (Water, Purified) Extracts: Black Malva Extract, Camellia Oleifera Extract, Sweet Almond Extract, Wild Cherry Bark Extract, Organically Grown Aloe Barbadensis Extract, Dipalmitoylethyl Hydroxyethylmonium Methosulfate, Stearyl Alcohol, Dimethicone Copolyol, Glycerin, Behenamidopropyl Ethyldimonium Ethosulfate, Disteryldimonium Chloride, Babassu (Orbignya Oleifera) Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Tocopheryl Acetate, Oryzanol, Stearyldimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolzed Wheat Protein, Glyceryl Stearate Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Dicaprylyl Ether, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Cyclomethicone, Cetyl Hydroxyethylcellulose, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, Fragrance, Diazolidinyl Urea, Annatto (Colorant), Caramel (Colorant), Basic Brown 17 (Colorant), Basic Yellow 57 (Colorant), Basic Blue 99 (Colorant), Basic Red 76 (Colorant)

Link to Annalist of some of the ingredients. :eye:

http://www.cosdna.com/eng/cosmetic_41dc22688.html

Also Color to Dye for - Natural Solutions blog.

http://www.naturalsolutionsmag.com/article-display/13406/subTopicID/159/Color-to-Dye-for

Hope this helps some! - Gay : ) Qapla' :puppykisses: