PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma....

Maddy25
November 25th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Hello,

Sooo....I’m having a dilemma.
My hair is indeed growing but it looks awful, I have been wearing it in a ponytail every single day because I honestly can’t stand to look at it down. This is because of the weird haircut I have been growing out. My hair is pretty thick but because of the punky bob I had month ago, the bottom layer where pretty much all my length is, is the thinnest. All of the bulk of my hair is around chin and then this scraggly long layer hangs down to my clavicles. It just is very unflattering and makes my hair look awful and thin. So pretty much....I am debating getting rid of the layers (I must have thousands as it was cut with a razor) and getting it completely blunt cut a little past my chin. I’m thinking this would help with a few things, make the ends a lot thicker, get rid of the frizz that the layers all over cause and also get rid of most of the damage from last months “bleach” incident. What do you think? It would be nice to be able to feel good about my hair rather than hating, then it may be a heck of a lot easier to grow it out like that...I have been thinking about doing this for a while.

edit*
Although this is over 2 months old...You can see what I mean but scraggly and gross in the last photo
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3801&pictureid=53344

missjessiecakes
November 25th, 2009, 08:20 AM
I am thinking of doing this in January. I want to see if I can get the front a little longer. I've got the mullet of doom going on right now. Chin has some cute blunt bobs that look like they would grow out evenly. If you think it would help you feel better I'd go for it. But I'd wait two weeks just to be sure.

Something like this maybe?

http://76.12.200.158/bob-hairstyles-gallery-1/slides/chin-length-bob-hairstyle-005.jpg

Kaileida
November 25th, 2009, 08:21 AM
It still looks really cute to me, but if you can handle the sacrifice in length, I think that's a good idea.If not, trim a little bit every other week or so to help the ends thicken up? My underlayer is growing faster than my canopy so I know your dilemma. I just wait it out 'cause I'm a big hair wuss.

Leena7
November 25th, 2009, 08:22 AM
I think that it sounds like a good idea if you are willing to sacrifice a little length. My longest layer is my thinnest layer as well. I keep debating whether or not I should cut it, but my bangs are longer than the rest of my hair so I feel like they hide the layers from the front. I decided I wouldn't cut my hair for a year after my last cut back in April, I think I will wait it out. However, if the thinness of your longest layer is bothering you and you are ok with going a little shorter, I say go for it!

Speckla
November 25th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Why not get an inch or two off of the longest parts that are shoulder length to make it all the same length? I wouldn't cut to chin. You have a lot of good growth. Your sides might be a bit shorter but they will catch up if you trim the back more often instead of doing it all at once. It's easier to grow out if you can do a ponytail instead of the frustrating too short to do an updo stage.

Tabitha
November 25th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Only you can decide, but when I was growing from pixie I had regular trims every few months at the hairdresser just to even things up and make it look like I had a proper style going on. I told him I was growing so he knew to cut off only the minimum. I ended up at below waist (but have since cut back to BSL) went from chin-length bob to below waist in 3 years.

spidermom
November 25th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Just have a little trim to even things up a bit at the bottom every 3-4 months. You wouldn't have to lose much length all at once.

longhairedfairy
November 25th, 2009, 08:49 AM
You could just trim a little off the longest layers every few weeks or so. It's surprising how much difference such a small amount can make.:)

Belisarius
November 25th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Actually I think it looks prettier and prettier now that you are growing it.
So if you do cut it, I would suggest to do it in small steps as some others have done.

rach
November 25th, 2009, 09:30 AM
you could just trim off a smidgin to neaten it to make you feel more positive about it but as said very little will make a huge difference.
well done on you growth progress :flower:

luluj
November 25th, 2009, 09:46 AM
I think you should cut the wispy, longer layers shorter. This would make your hair look quite thick and healthy and give you a "style." I myself just made an appointment to do this tomorrow at 2:15. I have been growing out an ultra short pixie for close to a year now, and the time has come to rid myself of the "mullet" look! LOL!! I wish I didn't have to cut my hair, but, I like to have some sense of a hairstyle. Like you I don't like my hair the way it is right now, and we need to love our hair in order to walk proud and feel good!! Good Luck to you! Hair grows, of this I am certain, heck I have had so much growth in less than a year. It will set me back, as it will you should you decide to trim, but only for a few short months. Looks like we're fellow Canadians!

LaurelSpring
November 25th, 2009, 10:05 AM
I would just keep dusting the ends every few weeks. When you feel freaked out about it dust the ends and keep on going. Experiment with some clippies, pin curls or other little interesting hair toys to keep from the ponytail delimma.

jivete
November 25th, 2009, 10:14 AM
I might go ahead and trim the front layers to match the back, at about shoulder. You've made great progress and in another few months it will start to feel much longer.