PDA

View Full Version : Holiday hairstyles - up or not?

Speckla
November 25th, 2009, 07:31 AM
We're going to DH grandmother's for dinner tomorrow. I'm probably going to wear my hair up because I do not want everyone's hands in my hair. :rolleyes:

Carolyn
November 25th, 2009, 07:45 AM
On Saturday we are doing T'giving and xmas. I'll be wearing my hair up in a bun. It's always hotter than hell in their house and even if I wanted to wear it down, I couldn't. I'd pass out from the heat. I also don't want them to see it down. It would only invite a nasty comment from Idiot BIL and from the step-niece who says awful things and her parents never correct her. So it's up in a plain bun for me. Everyone wears jeans or sweats so it's not a dressed up affair.

JCFantasy23
November 25th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Hmm I'll wear mine up for Thanksgiving tomorrow but haven't decided how yet. Sorry you have to go through so many nasty comments Carolyn, are they always directed from the BIL and step-niece toward your hair?

Tabitha
November 25th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Any time I'm eating in public or semi-public I put my hair up. If it's cold and I want to keep my neck warm, I'll do a half up - at least that keeps it out of my food :lol:

dancingmegs
November 25th, 2009, 12:21 PM
I always go for an updo for family functions. I don't want to deal with comments and questions, and it's invariably too warm to wear it down.

Carolyn
November 25th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Hmm I'll wear mine up for Thanksgiving tomorrow but haven't decided how yet. Sorry you have to go through so many nasty comments Carolyn, are they always directed from the BIL and step-niece toward your hair?Those are the only ones who have ever said anything. BIL is kind of a passive/aggressive type and we've never been on each other's favorite person list. One time he looked directed at me and said he thought everyone should shave their head at least once in their life. WTF? The step-niece isn't corrected when she says inappropriate things. She's 10 and should be learning that the things she says can be very hurtful and embarrassing. I think she knows what she's doing as she always laughs and gives a look like "I dare you to say anything to me". I avoid being near her when I can and the same with the BIL. I deal because I have to.

Spike
November 25th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Probably up in a pony or bun while I cook--out of my way, out of the food, etc. Down if it's cool enough.

Next year is the year of the updo, though, to get it out of my face while it grows to BSL.

danacc
November 25th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I'm sorry to hear about the challenges that some of y'all face with relatives.

My hair will be up, but not because of potential negative comments/behavior. I wouldn't catch any sort of grief with it down. It's simply more practical to put it up. I'll probably choose an up-do that I don't usually wear, and pin it with a fancier hairtoy than I normally wear.

If it were down, I'd be worried with keeping it out of the food, out from being caught by chairs. I'll enjoy myself more with it contained.

redneckprincess
November 25th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I still have some Manic Panic Red on the underneith layers and this year is a somber time for everyone who is comming we are dealing with a family death (suicide) and other issues, so I believe I will be sporting another sock bun tomorrow...we hadn't expected all the people for dinner so I never tried to frantically fade it...I'll just hide it and put it up...otherwise I'd wear it down to show it off..it was chopped just past ears about 13" last time I saw all of them in february (sadly enough for a diffrent funeral)
please look in my new album for pics of same style the other day when I went on my sons field trip...let me know what you think

ETA: actually I put the picture up for my siggy pic below

Speckla
November 25th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I still have some Manic Panic Red on the underneith layers and this year is a somber time for everyone who is comming we are dealing with a family death (suicide) and other issues, so I believe I will be sporting another sock bun tomorrow...we hadn't expected all the people for dinner so I never tried to frantically fade it...I'll just hide it and put it up...otherwise I'd wear it down to show it off..it was chopped just past ears about 13" last time I saw all of them in february (sadly enough for a diffrent funeral)
please look in my new album for pics of same style the other day when I went on my sons field trip...let me know what you think

What color did you use? I like it.
I love Vampire red. That's the color of the streaks in my avatar. Don't know if it turned out ok in the picture or not.

I have a headful of henna so now I'm not sure if my hair will be up or down tomorrow. I usually rinse it out in the am and then let my hair airdry and enjoy perfect shiny curls.

RoseRedDead
November 25th, 2009, 05:57 PM
It depends on how I'm feeling the day of.

We had our family get-together on Saturday, and I wore my hair down until about 7pm, when I decided to put it up because it was annoying me. Instead of putting it up, though, my cousin's longhair wife braided it for me. :crush:

She's the only one who really notices/cares about my hair, so I can go either way, really.

meichigo
November 25th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I almost always do 'up' when I'm being fancy. At least, until I get bored, take it down, and start fidgeting. Or if I didn't do a good job and it starts slipping.

redneckprincess
November 25th, 2009, 07:00 PM
What color did you use? I like it.
I love Vampire red. That's the color of the streaks in my avatar. Don't know if it turned out ok in the picture or not.

I have a headful of henna so now I'm not sure if my hair will be up or down tomorrow. I usually rinse it out in the am and then let my hair airdry and enjoy perfect shiny curls.

pillerbox red...NO BLEACH and most of the color (all shown in the pic{s} is on virgin color hair)

JamieLeigh
December 1st, 2009, 09:23 AM
Most of our family get-togethers are centered around food, and the majority of the conversation is shared at the table, either eating at, or relaxing afterward. (Yeah...and I wonder why I struggle with my weight. :rolleyes: Go fig. Lol.) And for that reason, out of convenience for me and respect for everyone else, I usually wear my hair up. That way no one is worrying about getting my extra-long hairs in their food, and I don't have to lean over the table to fix the smaller kids' plates and dangle my hair in everything. After the meal, sometimes I take it down if it's comfortable, but generally it stays up. My mom-in-law likes to play with my hair so sometimes she takes it down for me. :p

I guess I've been lucky so far - I'm 29 and have never had any of my relatives comment negatively on my hair. Not really any positive comments either, except from younger nieces who like it, but I guess the majority of them are used to it and most of them have seen it even longer than this on me. I'm really sorry that some of you have to go through hell during the holidays - and the rest of the year - because of insensitive, nosy people who have no business telling you what to do with your appearance.

SpinDance
December 1st, 2009, 09:47 AM
I guess I'm really lucky because my family doesn't seem to care how I wear my hair. The only time I've really gotten comments about it was when I was young, in the back seat of the car, and the driver couldn't see through/past it in the rear view mirror! My MIL wears her hair mid-back, periodically cutting to donate as she pleases. My sisters both wear their hair about chin length these days, but one of them had WL when we were late teens.

On the other hand I think a number of my friends would have a heart attack if I cut my hair short. Some of them even notice when I get a trim, which most people never notice once it's past shoulder length.

Teakafrog
December 1st, 2009, 11:27 AM
I wore mine down to Thanksgiving, and got some nice comments on how long and pretty it is. Did have a niece playing in it, but she was gentle. I got way more comments on my daughters hairstyle. I put braid extensions in her with lots of pretty sparlkly beads, and everyone went gaga over how gorgeous she was. :inlove:

nmarie33
December 1st, 2009, 11:40 AM
I'll probably start Xmas with my hair down so my grandparents can see it, but with the warm house and my baby cousins getting into it, I'll probably put it up at some point!

GeoJ
December 1st, 2009, 11:58 AM
Up for me. I usually sport some sort of fancy braided updo for family get-togethers. It is unlikely for anyone to comment on my hair; I do so many atypical things that most of the family refrains from any kind of personal commentary to me...so far anyway. :)