PDA

View Full Version : Why do hair models always look like they are in pain?

Keildra
November 24th, 2009, 11:11 PM
I mean whenever I'm on YouTube looking for new styles to try, I find the videos where a stylist is fixing somebody's hair and the model getting their hair done always looks like they're in pain (especially if the stylist is doing heat styling). Do these license stylists really not know what they are doing or is the model really that tender headed?

Also I noticed this one video, I can't find it now or I would post the link, where a "professional hair stylist" said that the only way to not damage your hair with heat styling is by reading the instructions on the back. She didn't give any heat styling tips or product advice, she just said to read the instructions on the back it was apparently like medicine that you have to use them properly. (I don't heat style anyway but this made me laugh.)

I know there are a lot of smart hair stylists out there but why can't I run across their videos on YouTube? Why does it always have to be the not so intelligent stylists?

yellowchariot
November 24th, 2009, 11:18 PM
probably because:

-their "fake" hair has just been glued on to their scalp

-depending on how much hairspray and cement used, they have just got an instant face lift

-If they are wearing a hairstick/accessory, it is probably bolted down to their skull

-Their hair could be a scientifically created parasite (to sell hair products) that is living off of their brain, for nutrients/shine/silky smoothness

Nah just kidding, I've often wondered that myself, they seem so unhappy :( Then I came to a conclusion, I think they are cyborgs! :D

Gumball
November 24th, 2009, 11:26 PM
probably because:

-depending on how much hairspray and cement used, they have just got an instant face lift

-If they are wearing a hairstick/accessory, it is probably bolted down to their skull

-Their hair could be a scientifically created parasite (to sell hair products) that is living off of their brain, for nutrients/shine/silky smoothness

Nah just kidding, I've often wondered that myself, they seem so unhappy :( Then I came to a conclusion, I think they are cyborgs! :D

*snicker* :lol:

Keildra
November 24th, 2009, 11:26 PM
probably because:

I thought that myself too. Considering most models are 90% fake :suspect:

Elenna
November 24th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Actually they cultivate that look to make the rest of us (who live in the real world) have an inferiority complex. This is so that we rush out and get our hair done. Models are not there to make us happy. They are there to make us dissatified with our current hair style.

Cyborgs indeed, next thing we'll find out that they are not even real people but a figment of someone's imagination.

Syaoransbear
November 24th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Once when I was getting my hair styled for a photoshoot the hairstylist had the heat on the curler so high that when she curled my hair, the hair burnt my skin when the ringlet touched my back. And I can't even imagine the times when the stylist has went too close to my scalp with the straightener. ugh.

Konstifik
November 25th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Making a commercial makes a hair stylist do a sloppy job, because s/he needs to do it faster and talk to the camera while doing it. And they get paid for telling people to use sucky products. :/
Then of course, there's stylists who really are professionals. They just aren't loud enough to be seen.

vindo
November 25th, 2009, 02:02 AM
probably because:

Lol at the skull thing...o_O

Are the models really that fake though? I mean many I see really seem to be lovely young ladies....just you know the magazines and media toys with image editing a lot....but many are pretty non the less, just more "normal pretty".

GlassEyes
November 25th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Stylists aren't always gentle with their hair, pretty obviously. They'll do whatever the client/commercial needs, and the needs/pains of the model aren't really considered, and if she wants to get hired again/not get any complaints to her agency, she'd probably damn well shut up about whatever amount of pain she's in. Or he, for that matter. :shrug: It's not exactly an easy job.

Gypsygirl
November 25th, 2009, 05:47 AM
I actually used to do hair shows. They were always gentle with my hair, so no complaints... I think maybe the real good ones don't need youtube... ;)

Tabitha
November 25th, 2009, 06:02 AM
My previous hairdresser (male) used to put so much tension on the brush during blowdrying that I actually was in pain, and had to brace my neck to stop my head from being pulled to one side.

I have just changed to a hairdresser recommended by a fellow LHCer (thanks for a great rec, Darl_in1!). This stylist is female and has long hair herself. The blowdry was noticeably gentler, and was just as effective.

JessTheMess
November 25th, 2009, 06:08 AM
I used to model many moons ago. I did a hair show once and I swear I could literally hear my hair crying for a week afterwards. It included very high heat, quick rough brush strokes, very tight updos and at the end my whole head was back brushed to make an afro type look:rolleyes: My scalp was tender and my hair was soaked in conditioner for the course of a week. I never did do a hair show again...

SimplyLonghair
November 25th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Yes I have had my hair pulled so hard it made me look like I had a bad face lift. lol So yes I was in pain and they maybe too. :rolleyes:

Gypsygirl
November 25th, 2009, 06:14 AM
I used to model many moons ago. I did a hair show once and I swear I could literally hear my hair crying for a week afterwards. It included very high heat, quick rough brush strokes, very tight updos and at the end my whole head was back brushed to make an afro type look:rolleyes: My scalp was tender and my hair was soaked in conditioner for the course of a week. I never did do a hair show again...

Really? Wow... :shocked:

spidermom
November 25th, 2009, 06:37 AM
I have never seen these expressions of pain that you speak of.

imposterpockets
November 25th, 2009, 07:31 AM
I haven't seen many of the pained expressions. Most of the YouTube videos I have seen of someone having their hair done (or even more prominently, their makeup done) they look comatose. Their eyes are glossed over and they are looking at some point over the shoulder of the camera operator. Kind of creepy.

Some of the best videos I have seen for long her (which is just teasing myself, since I don't have long hair yet) have been of people doing their own hair. I like the ones where whoever it is just gets straight to the information and demonstration without excessive introduction and filler.

Speckla
November 25th, 2009, 07:35 AM
I always had painful experiences with a hairdresser because no one knew how to properly detangle my hair. They always started at the root and pull a brush through to the end. I thought this was normal and just suffered in silence. Pain = beauty, right? Nope. Not anymore.