PDA

View Full Version : Measuring method?

OleanderTime
November 24th, 2009, 08:07 PM
I've read TLHC's standards on measuring and I'm trying to start so I can track my growth progress, but I'm having trouble doing it consistently. I want an accurate measurement, and I'm afraid doing it just a little differently each time will give me different results. So: how do YOU measure? I really want to be able to do it myself, as my partner thinks I'm going hair crazy. :p

Do you just dangle the measuring tape and take a look?
http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx3/OleanderTime/Photoon2009-11-22at1807.jpg

Or do you pull your hair taught against the tape (especially if it has waves and poof like mine)?
http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx3/OleanderTime/Photoon2009-11-22at18072.jpg

...because that makes the difference of nearly an inch? What's the best to stick with over time? Thanks all!

young&reckless
November 24th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I take the end of the tape messure and pull it down to the end of my hair (my hairs pretty straight so I don't pull) and then put the other (big) end on my forehead. That way I pull out whatever I need but I don't have to lool behind me. I just hold on the the strip and then check.

For curls I think most do it both ways pulled flat and not just so your consistent.

danacc
November 24th, 2009, 08:44 PM
I measure with it dry, and pull gently to straighten the hair. I find that gives the most consistent result. Even with my gentle waves, there is a difference in the amount of "shrinkage" they cause from wash to wash.

missjessiecakes
November 24th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Because my hair curls and waves quite a bit I measure wet. I get out of the shower and comb it straight then measure.

As for the SO thinking you've gone crazy eventually they shrink into calm acceptance. At least mine did. :D

Quixii
November 24th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Because my hair curls and waves quite a bit I measure wet. I get out of the shower and comb it straight then measure.
Me too. :)

Dars
November 24th, 2009, 10:15 PM
I measure by just looking at it. I don't have any desire to fumble around with a tape measure and get obsessed over numbers.