PDA

View Full Version : Want hair to be v*rgin again

boukje
April 24th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Hello fellow LHC'ers.

Just a question, I have been thinking about being a virgin again (my hair I mean :wink:) for a while now, but I have hair a few inches past tailbone.

I do not like my natural hair colour but I don't like the messing with henna and stuff either. Maybe if you hair is more of my natural colour I would like it more.

Is there anyone with this length who is trying to get their hair to ones natural colour?

I really don't know if I can make it, I am planning on trimming my hair end of this year (when I reach classic hopefully), so that would take me forever to get rid of the coloured part.

Please I would love to hear your opinion on this (and perhaps some support :o)

Hugs from Helen.

willowcandra
April 24th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Hello fellow LHC'ers.

Just a question, I have been thinking about being a virgin again (my hair I mean :wink:) for a while now, but I have hair a few inches past tailbone.

I do not like my natural hair colour but I don't like the messing with henna and stuff either. Maybe if you hair is more of my natural colour I would like it more.

Is there anyone with this length who is trying to get their hair to ones natural colour?

I really don't know if I can make it, I am planning on trimming my hair end of this year (when I reach classic hopefully), so that would take me forever to get rid of the coloured part.

Please I would love to hear your opinion on this (and perhaps some support :o)

Hugs from Helen.

Hi there. I decided to grow my hair out when I was at tailbone. At the time it was a mix of several dozen chemical dyes and some red henna. It was in nasty shape and wouldn't lie flat I realised that if I wanted to reach classic and have healthy hair I would have to ditch the dye.
The first year was the hardest, I made a promise to myself to stay away from the dye for a whole year, if I really hated it at the end of that then I would dye it again. Through that year I did lots of overnight oilings and smt's with honey to help pull out some of the colour.
By the end of the year I had enough natural hair(6 inches) to tell the difference in condition and that I liked my colour.-I also had six inch new and thicker hairs all over. and I had less of a root look. I had a red bun though lol.

It's now been three years and nearly four months and I adore my virgin hair and tolerate the rest lol. I reached classic length at christmas and have been regularly trimming off new growth since then.

My root line is now roughly bsl or just above. The ends are definately a different colour to the roots but it's quite hard to see where they join. When I wrap a bun now all you can see from behind is my natural colour as the dyed bit now wraps around the base. I still have a stripy braid though.

It was hard the first couple of years but when it was 12" or so it didn't look like I was just being lazy anymore.

This was my hair when I decided to grow out...
I have about two inches of roots here.
http://www.willowcandra.co.uk/albums/userpics/10001/normal_100_0650.jpg

And here is my hair now. (ignore how thin it is, I had a BAD postpartum shedd.)
http://www.willowcandra.co.uk/albums/userpics/10001/normal_P1040919.JPG

You can tell a huge change in condition from bsl down. I may cut the dye off when my virgin hair reaches tailbone but never shorter lol. I would really like to stay classic.

There are a few threads about growing out around. One issue can be that the two parts of hair need different treatment. Check out the polls and projects board theres a thread I started for two toners. Lots find that some products work well for the dye and not the virgin and vice versa.

It can be done. You don't have to go short just to go virgin.

lora410
April 24th, 2008, 06:01 AM
I want to be a virgin again to :lol: anyway I am growing virgin to after my stupid, stupid, mistake of dying black.I am currently trying to lighten it though naturally and have about 3" of natural roots.

Patrycja
April 24th, 2008, 06:43 AM
I'd rather be a dirty dyed girl :D

Good luck on growing out your roots everyone :)

KajiKodomo
April 24th, 2008, 07:22 AM
It shouldn't be too bad, depending on how much of a difference there is between your natural color and your dyed color. If it's close, it will be much easier. willowcandra had some excellent points, and her journey is proof that you can do it!

I grew my hair out from black dye at one point down to shoulder-length, and I have to say that the hardest part was from roots to chin-length, because you have both colors right at face-level. Once it gets past that point, though, it's much easier.

I'm a happy dye-er however, and don't plan to grow out my natural color any time soon. I wish you well in your journey!

Xandergrammy
April 24th, 2008, 07:27 AM
I'm growing in my natural colors and my hair started out pretty long. You can go look at some of my pictures to see how it looks. I really don't mind the color differences as much as I thought I would. You can do it. I'll hold your hand if you need support. :flowers:

Kittee
April 24th, 2008, 07:30 AM
I am also growing out virgin hair. I'm about 6inchs into it myself as its been a little over a year since I last used any color. =)

It -is- a process for a good bit. I love how it is starting to look now however. I haven't seen my natural color since 1990 lol!

Altocumulus
April 24th, 2008, 07:54 AM
I'm at tailbone and I'm growing out my henna. I don't really mind the two-toned look.

Guenever
April 24th, 2008, 08:08 AM
At the moment I'm approx. 25% virgin! :tongue: I have 10" roots and about 38" of hair in total..

I don't mind the color difference too much, but I hate the fact that the 28" of auburn-colored dyed hair feels thinner and weirder now that I've got something helathier to compare it to.. *sigh*

OR Cowgirl
April 24th, 2008, 08:12 AM
:spitting: Well, Good Morning, all!! LOL!! Love your thread title!

Good luck with going dye-free, boukje!

spidermom
April 24th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Hi Helen; I wondered where you've been. I like all the natural colors, even the ones called "mousey". It will be nice to see yours.

cutastrophe
April 24th, 2008, 08:25 AM
I only have an inch of virgin hair right now, but my plan is no cuts or dye for the next year. We'll see how it goes...

I tried growing out black chemical dye, but I couldn't stand it, my natural color is dark blonde, it was too weird looking for me. So I bleached, and bleached again, and got my hair to a dark blonde color. I'm still gonna be two-toned as the natural color grows in, but it will be much more subtle. No regrets. :)

wintersun99
April 24th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I am at 1cm virgin now - I'm also trying to grow out henna+indigo and multiple various chemical dye treatments, my poor hair is only 15" because I had to cut back some of the dye, but as others have said, I plan to grow the rest out without cutting (at least no trims for the next year) you have lots of company :)

mommy2one05
April 24th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Hi there. I decided to grow my hair out when I was at tailbone. At the time it was a mix of several dozen chemical dyes and some red henna. It was in nasty shape and wouldn't lie flat I realised that if I wanted to reach classic and have healthy hair I would have to ditch the dye.
The first year was the hardest, I made a promise to myself to stay away from the dye for a whole year, if I really hated it at the end of that then I would dye it again. Through that year I did lots of overnight oilings and smt's with honey to help pull out some of the colour.
By the end of the year I had enough natural hair(6 inches) to tell the difference in condition and that I liked my colour.-I also had six inch new and thicker hairs all over. and I had less of a root look. I had a red bun though lol.

It's now been three years and nearly four months and I adore my virgin hair and tolerate the rest lol. I reached classic length at christmas and have been regularly trimming off new growth since then.

My root line is now roughly bsl or just above. The ends are definately a different colour to the roots but it's quite hard to see where they join. When I wrap a bun now all you can see from behind is my natural colour as the dyed bit now wraps around the base. I still have a stripy braid though.

It was hard the first couple of years but when it was 12" or so it didn't look like I was just being lazy anymore.

This was my hair when I decided to grow out...
I have about two inches of roots here.
http://www.willowcandra.co.uk/albums/userpics/10001/normal_100_0650.jpg

And here is my hair now. (ignore how thin it is, I had a BAD postpartum shedd.)
http://www.willowcandra.co.uk/albums/userpics/10001/normal_P1040919.JPG

You can tell a huge change in condition from bsl down. I may cut the dye off when my virgin hair reaches tailbone but never shorter lol. I would really like to stay classic.

There are a few threads about growing out around. One issue can be that the two parts of hair need different treatment. Check out the polls and projects board theres a thread I started for two toners. Lots find that some products work well for the dye and not the virgin and vice versa.

It can be done. You don't have to go short just to go virgin.

wow...i jusst wanted to let you know that your message really motivated me...i can do this two toned thing if i just stick with it and then my hair will become healthier

granitbaby
April 24th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Henna is great!
Well, at least until you get tired of the colour and the messy parts of it.:p

In August last year I decided I wanted to have virgin hair again and cut my hair from waist length to shoulder length and bleached the hair that was left twice to get out some of the colour.

The lengths of my hair wasn't in a very good condition but now I realise I didn't have to cut of so much.

My advice is to first of all stop colouring your hair, if you haven already done so, and just see what happens. Maybe you don't feel like cutting at all, but if you do, just cut a little away, not the most part of your hair like I did.:rolleyes:

willowcandra
April 24th, 2008, 11:34 AM
wow...i jusst wanted to let you know that your message really motivated me...i can do this two toned thing if i just stick with it and then my hair will become healthier

Thankyou. You really can do it.
Kajikomodo is right once you get past chin length it gets much easier and as you can see from my pictures the rest of the dye really fades over time.

boukje
April 24th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Thank you so much for all your replies :hollie:

Great fun to read there are more lovely ladies out there trying to go 'au naturel'. :)

I don't know if I can make it, but with the proper support :oI would love to give it a try.

It will take forever, but I am hoping it will make my hair stronger (perhaps also thicker). did any of you found the new hairs were nicer/ stronger?

I have a dull light brown colour, which I think makes me look very bland, but the idea of never using colour again is such a relief. :cool:

I guess I will just leave it and try to pamper my hair more:D

I will keep you updated

boukje
April 24th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Hi Helen; I wondered where you've been. I like all the natural colors, even the ones called "mousey". It will be nice to see yours.

Hello Spidermom :waving:

How nice to see a message of you! You really make my day :happydance:

I don't know if my natural colour looks nice on me, but I want to give it a go.:)

Elainehali
April 24th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Right now I've just started to grow out my natural color. I've got maybe and inch of root.My goal has been to semi permanantly dye the length of my hair to get close to the new root growth. I've been pretty sucessful with this method because the older hair is more porus and holds onto the dye.

I have a problem though. There is a large dark spot of hair that grows up front and on one side. This area needs a permanant coloring to get back to the root color.

I'll get around to it when my roots get longer and I can see what hair belongs to the dark spot. I'm just afraid that I'll mess it up.

Ohio Sky
April 24th, 2008, 01:04 PM
As everyone else has said, it is probably akward for a time, but some of the updo pics the two toners have are stunning. It look so cool to have a bun or braid with streaks of different color in it. There are a lot of things you can do with two tone hair, depending on how drastic the difference. You could always try the dye removal method with honey, or you could blend it if the colors are similar.

vindo
April 24th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I started growing out my virgin hair at Hip. Although its not "virgin virgin" ist virgin hennaed hair :)
But - I also have to go through the long growing out process.
After 1 1/2 years my virgin hair is at shoulder.

I promised myself nomore darkening my hair...only henna for red or henndigo to imitate my natural dark brown in case I get tired of the red ;)

I think you can see the difference in color on my signature pic. I dont know why some spots seem more red though? Flash??