PDA

View Full Version : White flakes after SMT??

ttubabe
November 24th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Hello all, I just did my first SMT on Friday and had a lot of white flakes in my hair. I used the Fruit of the Earth aloe, some 100% pure honey from the grocery store and the Suave Naturals Strawberry conditioner. I found on the original SMT thread that the Strawberry causes waxiness and I didn't have that but I had white flakes? Did I do something wrong or do I just need a new conditioner?

Magicknthenight
November 24th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Did you microwave it? I always used to get the little white curds e_e
What I did was add only a little tiny bit of Aloe Vera gel because when i made the mixture without the gel it was less likely to have any.
Also if your heating it up you may be doing so for too long. 30 seconds is a good time for a pretty good sized amount but if its smaller or you wanna be really careful take it out at 15 seconds..stir it..check to see if its warm enough/ has any curds. If it has none you can microwave it a little more for warmth but if its already completely liquid its probably been heated enough. After you heat it up you should keep stirring it well until its normal consistency again because certain parts if not stirred could make curds. Anyways hope that helps!

Carolyn
November 24th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I get that when I've used a conditioner with cones. I have no idea if Suave Strawberry has cones or not. Some where there is a thread with a list of cone free conditioners.

spidermom
November 24th, 2009, 03:46 PM
I've never had any troubles with white flakes or curds when doing SMT. It might be in the prep. I generally lower a bowl into a saucepan of very hot water and whip the ingredients together with a whisk. I get a thick frothy mixture that's kind of like mousse.

girlcat36
November 24th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I always get white flakes with SMT, and I am cone-free, BTW. I never figured out why, so I quit using it.
I do have a candida problem on my scalp, so I'm guessing the honey may have caused a flare up. :confused:

ttubabe
November 24th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the tips ladies! I think I nuked it for too long :doh:! Oops!

Wicked Princess
November 25th, 2009, 12:03 AM
This happened to me the first SMT that I tried. I never ended up putting it in my hair because I was afraid the white things would be hard to get out of my hair. This was with a cone-free conditioner reported to work well on the SMT thread.

Turns out I didn't heat it up ENOUGH! My second attempt, I had great success. :)

Cherry_Sprinkle
November 25th, 2009, 12:32 AM
I have no idea about suave strawberry but nearly all conditioners with protein in it will give the white curds :(

Yozhik
November 25th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Hah! I'm so glad my sleuthing found this thread! I had this problem, too, and it was a real pain to get out the curds!

After having read your advice, it seems like I didn't heat mine up enough:o
Thanks!