PDA

View Full Version : How important is the microwaving in SMT?

baobhan sith
November 24th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I kind of missed that part out, and am wondering how much difference it will make? I've finished my conditioner so can't do another one... :rolleyes:

SimplyViki
November 24th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I am not positive, but I believe the purpose of the microwaving step is to de-activate any lightening properties of the honey.

baobhan sith
November 24th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Well because I have brown hair I used dark treacle instead of honey, so if that's the only purpose i should be fine.

Carolyn
November 24th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I never nuke mine. I just mix it up and slap it on my hair. Then I use my heat cap. Walking to the kitchen to nuke it is too much effort.

Spike
November 25th, 2009, 03:13 PM
I nuke it because I make up a (relatively) large batch and keep it in the fridge. WOOOOO, ice-cold SMT right after a warm and steamy shower makes my hair stand on end!!!!

(Which would be great for S&D missions, mind, but not so much on the relaxing spa experience.)

Bene
November 25th, 2009, 03:20 PM
I nuke it because I love my natural color, and I've heard that honey bleaches.

edit:

I am not positive, but I believe the purpose of the microwaving step is to de-activate any lightening properties of the honey.

Yeah, what she said! :D

Syaoransbear
November 25th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Hasn't most honey already went through a heating process to purify it?

Madame J
November 25th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Actually, the little bit that you microwave an SMT after mixing everything is not enough to deactivate the honey. The honey needs like 45-60 seconds in the microwaving (or other heat source) to deactivate the peroxide-producing enzymes. I'm pretty sure the purpose of heating in the original recipe is to warm up the mixture to better help it penetrate the hair shaft. A nice thing to think of, but the heat of your head will warm it, too.

spidermom
November 25th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I never microwave mine either. I don't even own a microwave.

Bene
November 25th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Actually, the little bit that you microwave an SMT after mixing everything is not enough to deactivate the honey. The honey needs like 45-60 seconds in the microwaving (or other heat source) to deactivate the peroxide-producing enzymes. I'm pretty sure the purpose of heating in the original recipe is to warm up the mixture to better help it penetrate the hair shaft. A nice thing to think of, but the heat of your head will warm it, too.

I only microwave the honey. I'm afraid if I do the whole thing, it'll be too hot to use. I also find that the honey is runnier after nuking it, which makes it easier to mix.

redneckprincess
November 25th, 2009, 05:42 PM
i dont microwave the honey for my SMt and it dosent lighten my hair

chrissy-b
November 25th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Sometimes I heat mine, sometimes I don't. Haven't noticed a change in color either way, but the heated SMT seems to work better for me. I don't own a microwave either so I usually mix it up in a small container and set the container in hot water and stir. Works great.

Katze
November 27th, 2009, 02:51 AM
I don't heat mine either, too lazy.

SMTs have never lightened my or DH's hair. I use them about twice a month on me, every few months on him.