PDA

View Full Version : Wow, I'm 35 today and my hair is still long...

Speckla
November 24th, 2009, 10:47 AM
It didn't just suddenly fall off. See, nature didn't intent for women to cut their hair once they hit a certain age. I don't see below shoulder length hair as false advertising. :p

boomygrrl
November 24th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Tee hee hee--- smart aleck!

Gypsygirl
November 24th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Happy birthday! :beercheer:

CrisDee
November 24th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Hmmm, now that you mention that, I think that's one of the reasons I chopped off my BSL hair earlier this year - something in this modern culture tells you that if you have long hair when you're over 50, you're trying to look younger, attract younger men, or otherwise to be something you're not. What's that all about, anyway??

~CrisDee

CrisDee
November 24th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Oh, and a very happy birthday to you! Today is my mother's 89th birthday as well - may you have many more happy years :)

embee
November 24th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Happy Birthday, Speckla! You're younger than my kids - enjoy your hair. :)

patience
November 24th, 2009, 10:58 AM
I didn't get that memo. We were suppose to cut at 35? Whoopsie ;)

Happy Birthday! Hope it's a great one. :cake:

missjessiecakes
November 24th, 2009, 11:11 AM
A very happy birthday to you. Also I think it would be really funny if at 35 hair just fell off into a respectable length. Obviously not but it was a fun image you put in my head. I just imagined how that would happen. It would be a good twilight zone.

Sister13
November 24th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I guess cuz hair is sexual display. Some folks are uncomfortable with grown women's sexuality as we know. That's why all the so-called rules to control it. Happy Birthday, Miss Lady!

Speckla
November 24th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Thank you all. I find getting older and growing my hair out makes me feel sexier and more in touch with my sexual side. I made this post because I had a coworker last year go on and on about how beautiful my curls were and that I should enjoy my hair until I turned 35 and had to cut it. I was like - what? Why grow just to cut?

yellowchariot
November 24th, 2009, 11:31 AM
It didn't just suddenly fall off. See, nature didn't intent for women to cut their hair once they hit a certain age. I don't see below shoulder length hair as false advertising. :p

Happy Birthday, and happy hair progression! :thumbsup:

Its us guys, that nature hates :p! lol

Honestwitness
November 24th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Happy Birthday, Speckla! May you grow long and prosper.

I guess I will just have to consider myself a "mythbuster," then. I'm turning 60 in ten days and, after 30 years of short hair, I started growing it out about a year ago. Now, I'm at APL and have no interntion of going back to short.

I aspire to be one who proves that a head of healthy silver hair is a thing much to be desired.

girlcat36
November 24th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Thank you all. I find getting older and growing my hair out makes me feel sexier and more in touch with my sexual side. I made this post because I had a coworker last year go on and on about how beautiful my curls were and that I should enjoy my hair until I turned 35 and had to cut it. I was like - what? Why grow just to cut?

So ridiculous!!!!:p Such a silly rule, and it's sad that so many just buy into it!

Happy Birthday, Speckla!

sweetstaste
November 24th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Happy birthday Speckla! Long hair adds to a persons beauty, not take away from it. Eons ago, even in the bible days, both men and women grew their hair to extreme lengths...scissors were not invented then (maybe broken glass or stones). It's just a myth that as a person gets older, they should cut their hair. I find beauty and confidence with long hair people.

Have a wonderful b/day and happy 35th!

Carina
November 24th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Happy birthday Speckla.I am 39 and my hair is at bsl now and that is only halfway.If my hair can get as long as knee I will celebrate for days :cheese:.

little_acorn
November 24th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Ooops my hair didn't fall off earlier this year either - obviously it didn't get the memo!! :rollin:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY :cheese: :cheese:

LittleOrca
November 24th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Happy Birthday! :)

And I'm so glad your hair didn't just cut itself! It would be so sad if you woke up suddenly with Kate Gosselin (http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/famecrawler/2009/05/JON20KATE20PLUS20EIGHT.jpg)'s hair :lol:

halo_tightens
November 24th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Happy birthday to you, Speckla, and happy hair!! :D

~*Dulce*~
November 24th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Happy Birthday!!!! :D :blossom::blossom:

where is the cake!!??!! hehe

Othala
November 24th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Happy Birthday and happy long hair to you!

Babyfine
November 24th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Happy birthday Speckla! Your curls are beautiful! I'm in my 50's and now wear my hair longer than I did in my 20's and 30's.
No one ever says anything to me- I must look intimidating.

Armelle
November 24th, 2009, 02:02 PM
I thumb my nose at anyone who says I should cut my hair next birthday!! :p
Happy 35th to you!

RoseRedDead
November 24th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Happy birthday! :flowers: Long hair can and WILL be enjoyed at any age.

jojo
November 24th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Happy long hair to you, happy long hair to you, happppppppppeeeeeee long hair dear Speckla, dont ever cut short- dont you!

Elenna
November 24th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Happy birthday and happy growing!

Sherri
November 24th, 2009, 03:22 PM
I could have told you it wouldn't fall off...I am fixing to turn 36 in a week. lol
BTW Happy Birthday!!!

faeflame
November 24th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Happy birthday!! Welcome to the ranks of the rebellious hair-rule breakers!!!

jivete
November 24th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Phew! I was worried about what would happen in another year. :p

Happy Birthday! Many more long hair years to you.

noelgirl
November 24th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Happy birthday! Your hair is looking amazing, by the way - love those curls!

Carolyn
November 24th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Happy Birthday, Speckla! You turned 35 and you didn't cut your hair???? Gasp :p And the world didn't stop spinning on it's axis! Rules were made to be broken :gabigrin:

bigmama8
November 24th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Happy Birthday! I'm so thankful that hair doesn't just fall out or get shorter at a certain age.

paperwhite
November 24th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Happy birthday! Mine's today, too and luckily I still have all of my hair :) I guess it doesn't just automatically shrink back to BSL ;)

Teakafrog
November 24th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Good to know, since it'll happen to me in a couple weeks! :cheese: If I wake up the next day and my hair is suddenly in that reverse mullet everyone is wearing, I will have some words for you though...... :pins:

gnegirl
November 24th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Good to know, since it'll happen to me in a couple weeks! :cheese: If I wake up the next day and my hair is suddenly in that reverse mullet everyone is wearing, I will have some words for you though...... :pins:

Reverse mullet? Oh dear, is that the 'Kate' aka, backed into a high-speed fan look?

Cat Lady
November 24th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Happy Birthday! And Congratulations on not following society's most meaningless of rules. :D

I'll be so pleased if I can say the same thing in 7 years time :)

noelgirl
November 24th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Reverse mullet? Oh dear, is that the 'Kate' aka, backed into a high-speed fan look?

I prefer to call it the deranged hedgehog look, but yours works too :D

PhillyGirl1978@
November 24th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Hmmm, now that you mention that, I think that's one of the reasons I chopped off my BSL hair earlier this year - something in this modern culture tells you that if you have long hair when you're over 50, you're trying to look younger, attract younger men, or otherwise to be something you're not. What's that all about, anyway??

~CrisDee

I have a pretty good feeling that when I hit 50 I will be pretty interested in younger men...and if not to date, then it is is still nice to be noticed.

Speckla
November 25th, 2009, 04:18 PM
35 years + 1 day. Still there! :D

redneckprincess
November 25th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I missed it Happy birthday!!!

Coriander
November 25th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Happy 35th! :cheese:

I turn 35 tomorrow, and the heck with society's standards. :D

Speckla
November 25th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Happy 35th! :cheese:

I turn 35 tomorrow, and the heck with society's standards. :D

Totally! But don't you feel better knowing that all your hair will still be there? No nasty trick of nature will be played on you. :eyebrows:

Coriander
November 25th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Totally! But don't you feel better knowing that all your hair will still be there? No nasty trick of nature will be played on you. :eyebrows:

And no nasty trick of any idiotic roommate putting Nair in my conditioner. LOL (No that's never happened.) DBF LOVES my long hair and would have a cow if I cut it. :D

camirra555
November 25th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Happy birthday! Hope you had a great day. I definitely don't think you have to cut your hair short once you get to 35. I've been trying to convince my mom to grow her hair back out. She kept it around BSL til around 41. I always thought she looked better with it long.