PDA

View Full Version : Do you live among other longhairs?

georgia_peach
November 24th, 2009, 04:40 AM
I know I've seen similar threads, but it's been a while. So I'd like to ask if you live in a region where long hair (let's go with waist length or longer) is common. I work in a small city in an office that houses about 1500 employees (more than half are women). At a meeting of about 200 people yesterday and then walking the halls I started to notice that noone, and I mean NOONE, had hair past BSL. Most with hair past their shoulders were not even at BSL. Even those folks were rare. Most of the ladies had either pixie cuts or shoulder length with layers. Don't even get me started on the men. There is one man in the entire building with mid-back hair. The rest have very short hair. I've seen a few exceptions outside of the workplace, but I think this is a fairly good representation of the area I live in.

To each his or her own, but I wanted to share my observations. Anyone else?

Taika
November 24th, 2009, 04:43 AM
I just know one, in my area... (and that is not me... atleast not for a few years... but maby then ... :) )

Othala
November 24th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Yes, but...the longhairs in my area are all about 25 years younger than me (about 15 years old) and I am the only person I know of my generation in this area who has hair longer than their shoulders.

manderly
November 24th, 2009, 05:22 AM
I am stuck on an island of longhairs ;) I can never compete with all the lovely heads of hair all around me.

Armelle
November 24th, 2009, 05:40 AM
I'm in a college town, so I guess I see more longhaired people of both genders than other small towns. However, "long" hair tends to be around bsl here. Waist length hair is unusual. Anything longer than that usually elicits a complement from me. :) (I did so to a girl I saw outside work the other day. She had nice straight brown hair about tbl. She seemed pleased.)

Katrina
November 24th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Long hair past BSL is not common in this area (capital of Finland, Helsinki), but I see occasionally women with tailbone length hair. Some has even classic or thigh length hair, but it is rare. I am unempoyed at the moment, so I'm just generally talking about people I see around here...

There is a woman in this same apartment house, who must have hair longer than tailbone. She is about 50 and she always wears her blond/silver hair up in a huge French twist or a logroll. It looks very impressive to me. My boyfriend once saw it loose and said that it was very long. Longer than mine and I'm at TB. We are the only long hairs in this apartment house of 25 families.

Ina
November 24th, 2009, 06:12 AM
I know one girl in my neighborhood with tailbone length hair, and she is 18. The most people I know have short hair.

linda g
November 24th, 2009, 06:14 AM
I live in a college town too, so I see a lot of hair between BSL and waist among the student population.

However, in my age group, it's fairly rare.

missjessiecakes
November 24th, 2009, 06:17 AM
No long hairs here. At least not that I've seen. Here when you hit 30 you get the old lady cut also known as the Peggy hill. the bangs and they hair that is curled back. Everyone has this cut I am serious. Otherwise most of the younger set have that inverted bob thing or one of those choppy short emo cuts.

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii344/ikbob/peggy-hill6.jpg

starlights
November 24th, 2009, 06:25 AM
its a mix where i live... to be fair alot of people have short hair because they cannot grow their hair out, though they would love too!

linda g
November 24th, 2009, 06:27 AM
missjessiecakes! :laugh:

Yeesha
November 24th, 2009, 06:39 AM
I see quite many longhairs here.... Especially at university... Among physicists and mathematicians there are many longhairs, male and female. :)
Well, there are short haired people too, but I have to say: I pay more attention to long hair, since I'm on long hair boards. *g*

missjessiecakes
November 24th, 2009, 06:39 AM
missjessiecakes! :laugh:

Its true. My mom has had the peggy hill for as long as I can remember. She use to have beautiful waist length fiery red hair. Then she had my brother and when he was like 4 or 5 she chopped it all into the peggy hill.

I am really jealous of my mom's waist length hair. It was so thick. We are talking no taper braid as wide as my wrist all the way down. Lets just say I know we have good hair in the family and its up to me to wear it because nobody else will.

Rebelkat
November 24th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Well... I can only think of 4 people I know with BSL+ hair in this area. DBF's mom has BSL length. My aunt has hair floating somewhere between BSL and waist (she's actively growing it out, as well). My mom has waist length hair. I also have a friend with calf-length hair... and that's pretty much all the adults I know that have long hair by choice.

There is a percentage of women that wear their hair long due to religious reasons (there are several Apostolic churches in this area)... but most women who don't grow theirs for religious reasons almost never have hair past APL and most wear some form of bob (if they're under 40) or something even shorter (if they're 40+).

Carolyn
November 24th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Not much long hair here (Iowa). Even the teenagers rarely have mid back hair. Most of them have hair in the APL range. Most women over 30 have choppy pixies that look like they are styled with Elmer's Glue or a chin length bob with the back tapered up. I still see quite a few messy buns but I don't think that hair is much beyond MBL. I'd say less than 1 in 200 have MBL or longer and I doubt it's that high. There used to be a woman with a classic length braid but I haven't seen her in ages. Maybe she cut it. I doubt I'd recognize her without her long hair. I know people think I'm weird/crazy to have long hair.

SimplyViki
November 24th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Well, let's see. My boss had waist length hair for the first few years I worked at my job, but she cut it a few months back, to a very flattering style that she's kept between shoulder and chin ever since. It looks great on her, but I was mildly disappointed to see her length go, as that was gorgeous also.

My co-worker has hair that she keeps somewhere between just above waist and almost hip. Her hair is a thick, glossy black, with loose waves and wurls throughout. She keeps it up most of the time.

My mom has um... Jeez, you know I can't ever remember what exactly her length is? Is it tailbone? Hip? I don't know! You can take a look at her profile (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=23612) to see. :p

My roommate has hair that she keeps somewhere between waist and just below BSL. Her hair is thick and wurly, and a deep brown with a few caramel colored highlights.

Hmm... who else? I have a classmate with hair longer than mine, but I can't remember the exact length. Maybe between tailbone and classic. And I have a bunch of classmates with hair somewhere between BSL and mid-back.

And just out and about, I regularly see BSL to mid-back length hair. ETA: And I occasionally see hair around classic, but not as often. There was once a woman selling flowers on a street corner near my apartment, she had thigh-length black hair. I haven't seen her lately, I wonder if she cut it and I just haven't noticed it's the same person? :hmm:

3azza
November 24th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Yes, many girls have hair longer than waist where i live, mostly young girls (teens, 20s, 30s) with thick dark straight/wavy hair. However i'm the only one who has curly hair beyond waist.

Lemur_Catta
November 24th, 2009, 07:07 AM
At university I see a lot of girls with long hair, but not very long by LHC standards. There are a few girls with waist length hair or so, one girl between hip and tb, and last year there was a guy who had tbl, curly hair. He has now cut it to mid back or so.
I have never seen anybody in real life with hair longer than tb.

lovelylaura
November 24th, 2009, 07:23 AM
HAHAHA the Peggy Hill, I just died laughing... I have been seeing a lot of the "Kate Gosselin"...

Out of my 4 best friends, they all have long hair between BSL and waist, 3 of them have hair at hip length but cut and are re-growing (but still between BSL and waist)... now i'm growing mine out and if some guys who loved beautiful long hair ever bumped into us (3 single, 2 not) they'd die. Not too many longhairs that I see around here, we have some of the longest hair that I see around. I do see waist length hair occasionally. I'm so proud to have friends with long hair :) So beautiful...

Themyst
November 24th, 2009, 07:24 AM
My area is inundated with the 'old lady haircut'. Really short and frumpy.

There is one guy in his fifties who wears TB dreads, and there is a significant Native American population here where I see waist-length on occasion.

ericthegreat
November 24th, 2009, 07:52 AM
I actually started a thread on this very topic a few months back sometime this summer. :)

To answer the question, yes in NYC its very common to see long haired girls and women of all ages and walks of life. There are quite a few long haired men as well, altho of course not nearly as common as there are women. NYC is so diverse internationally and culturally, that to see classic and knee and even floor length hair is not unheard of. I myself have seen quite a few Spanish women with thick, knee length hair several times. And riding the subway, I will see several women of all ages and ethnic backgrounds with hair at least BSL or longer.

JamieLeigh
November 24th, 2009, 08:07 AM
We have a couple of Apostolic churches in our area (one on my side of the Tennessee River, and one on the other), but I see the long-haired members of them maybe once or twice a month when I'm out and about. The longest I've ever seen was probably calf-length, and she looked to be about 19-20 years old. Usually I see plenty of people, men and women alike, who wear their hair in the BSL-Waist area, and occasionally (like maybe twice a week) I'll see someone with Waist-Hip. Very rarely do I see Classic length or longer, but I know they live here, so that means they're out there. :)

Francoise1606
November 24th, 2009, 09:13 AM
there aren't really that many women or men for that matter who have long hair ( by your definition) around here. They pretty much think that long hair is BSL. And I haven't seen many of the ones that do have BSL length who haven't bleached their hair to death. It's also difficult to tell because many of the women who have "long" hair here, just have extensions. I think It will be pretty unusual when I grow my hair out to my goal :)

Leena7
November 24th, 2009, 09:17 AM
I live at college and most of the girls here have hair that is BSL. A lot have waist length hair too. A smaller amount have bobs or mid length hair and once in a great while I spy a pixie. I feel like long hair is popular with the 18-22 year old college girl set because it doesn't need to be cut every month to look neat and it doesn't have to be washed every day. Also, many younger guys like long hair.

pinchbeck
November 24th, 2009, 09:31 AM
I live in a heavily populated area of Pakistani families and most of the mother's have really long hair. You can see their braids poking out of their loose hijabs/scarves/head coverings. My pharmacist wears a turban and I can only imagine how long his hair is. I am sure it is just gorgeous! He works alongside an Indian woman with classic length hair worn in a braid.

Laululintu
November 24th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Long hair past BSL is not common in this area (capital of Finland, Helsinki), but I see occasionally women with tailbone length hair. Some has even classic or thigh length hair, but it is rare. I am unempoyed at the moment, so I'm just generally talking about people I see around here...

There is a woman in this same apartment house, who must have hair longer than tailbone. She is about 50 and she always wears her blond/silver hair up in a huge French twist or a logroll. It looks very impressive to me. My boyfriend once saw it loose and said that it was very long. Longer than mine and I'm at TB. We are the only long hairs in this apartment house of 25 families.

I also live in Helsinki, and don't see many people with hair past BSL. Shoulder to BSL is fairly common though around town.

Radulfr
November 24th, 2009, 09:36 AM
My neighbor across the street, she has waist-length hair, that's about it.

cocolover
November 24th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Not many past BSL. There were about 3 that I knew and now two have chopped it off in this past year :( It seems a lot people I know have had a dramatic chop lately. I thought it made sense to save length for warmth in the winter! :confused: I just know of one lady now, and she is older...I am so bad at placing ages...she is older than 40, I know that. She has hip to tailbone hair, blonde. She wears it down all the time.

Manderly- I would certainly say Hawaii is an island of beautiful long hairs! We were there at the end of October and I saw a lady with a knee length bread walking around in Costco. It was beautiful! I was too chicken to go up to her though

trolleypup
November 24th, 2009, 10:01 AM
In San Francisco, longhairs are common...both because of cultural factors and SF's well known embracing of diversity. Hair past BSL/MB is common, hair to classic is not extraordinary on women and occasional on men...and past knee (women) and past classic (men) can be seen now and again around the City...I've even seen past-floor down hair in the Financial District.

Long grey(ing)/white hair is also not uncommon.

Paradise!

I'll put it this way...I've seen longer/thicker hair on the streets of SF than at any of the LHC meets I've attended (OK, I missed the meet that DYQ attended...).

DARKMARTIAN
November 24th, 2009, 10:03 AM
If you count my dog and cat then yes.....:p:p

Speckla
November 24th, 2009, 10:15 AM
My sister used to have tailbone length but she had to cut it to shoulder because it was falling out and breaking due to extreme stress. Now it's about BSL and that's where she keeps it.

No one else on my side of the family has long hair. My mother-in-law's mother, sisters, and a lot of family have terminal length hair due to religious reasons. MIL keeps her's between pixie and chin length and it looks very nice on her. No one at work has hair longer than BSL and most of the girls keep their hair shoulder or shorter.

Merewen
November 24th, 2009, 10:34 AM
There's a lot of APL/BSL around here. While I do see a lot of the old lady cut, I have seen quite a few older women with longer hair, and every so often I'll see someone with truly impressive lengths. A man came into the shop the other day with gorgeous hip length hair, and a woman comes in every so often with gorgeous classic length silver hair.

CrisDee
November 24th, 2009, 10:39 AM
The way it seems here in suburban soccer mom #ell is that from age 25-45 you wear the Kate Gosselin, and 45+ you wear the Peggy Hill. Some of the young girls (age 12-18) have hair as long as BSL, but I've never seen anyone around here with hair longer than that. Sad - I remember when i was in high school in the early 70's, most girls wore their hair long, at least waist length (myself included).

georgia_peach
November 24th, 2009, 10:53 AM
I actually started a thread on this very topic a few months back sometime this summer. :)

To answer the question, yes in NYC its very common to see long haired girls and women of all ages and walks of life. There are quite a few long haired men as well, altho of course not nearly as common as there are women. NYC is so diverse internationally and culturally, that to see classic and knee and even floor length hair is not unheard of. I myself have seen quite a few Spanish women with thick, knee length hair several times. And riding the subway, I will see several women of all ages and ethnic backgrounds with hair at least BSL or longer.

Hi Eric! I knew I'd seen a post like this not too long ago. ;) After reading most of the responses, I should have added that the mostly short-haired women in my area (Virginia, USA) are of all ages. The younger women tend to have longer hair (shoulder to BSL) but still mostly have the inverted bob hairstyle or something more trendy. Lots of Peggy Hill haircuts around here, too!

Eden Iris
November 24th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Long hairs of both genders and all ages abound here. Almost no one wears it up, though.

Hiriel
November 24th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Hm, hair past waist isn't common, no, not really. But it's not that uncommon either, you're unlikely to get the "Your hair is so loooong" comments before hip, I think. Most of the longhairs are young, but some of them are cute old ladies with beautiful white hair too :)
Girls around my age tend to have hair between APL and BSL. Most guys keep their hair short, but it's not at all unusual with longhaired guys. Most of the longhaired guys have longer hair than the girls ;)
My hair is slowly creeping towards waist now, and people call it long, but no one have ever called it very long. But my friend with classic hair gets it all the time.

mira-chan
November 24th, 2009, 11:17 AM
I see the whole range of hair lengths around me, including the unusual lengths. So I am around long hairs plenty. In Russia growing up most girls had braids and a long braid was seen as beautiful.

LittleOrca
November 24th, 2009, 12:05 PM
In general, I would say there are lots of longhairs in my area, though what I consider long (waist +) and what others consider long (usually APL +) tend to be two different things. A lot of those with long hair are of other nationalities, primarily Indian, Native American, and Mexican around here. My sister goes to school with an Indian woman who's (whose? whom? meow?) hair is longer than she is tall.

While there are the fashion slaves that would die if What Not to Wear were ever canceled, most of the people in my area (and this side of the Cascades) tend to be very liberal with how other people look and not care as much as other places might. Of course they have their preferences, but someone with long hair is not going to be ostracized and tossed out like trash for having it. They may get the occasional "Oh My Gosh! You should, like, cut your hair because, like, Oprah and Tyra and Stacy and all the other people I surrendor my money to and follow like a sheep say longhair is OF THE DEVIL!" (Well, you get the idea. :lol: )

little_acorn
November 24th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I live in a long hair area too - I see lots o f Maori, Samoan and Pacific Island women and men with hair wait or longer - beautiful :D

Seriously puts my midback length to shame - le sigh

rogue_psyche
November 24th, 2009, 12:40 PM
I work with a lot of longhairs, one of which has a pony tail so wide that sometimes I get distracted staring at it. I still think past waist is in the minority here in Southern California, even though it isn't completely uncommon. The Hispanic and Samoan population helps.

Xandergrammy
November 24th, 2009, 12:51 PM
I think my workplace might have more long hairs than usual considering it's pretty small. I have the longest hair, but I work with one woman who has tailbone length hair and another with waist length. Most of the women (and all of the men) have short hair. And most of this short hair, on the women anyway, is dyed/highlighted/striped.

bigmama8
November 24th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I live in a small rural town in southeastern Ohio. Long hair is very common here. There aren't very many people with longer than hip length though.

noelgirl
November 24th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I don't see a lot of long hair in Chicago, although occasionally I will see someone with long hair on the train or walking down the street. Of the people I see regularly, though, I think my hair is the longest. I have the longest hair in my workplace by far - the next longest is a guy who maintains around shoulder. I think I have the longest at my dance school, but it's hard to tell since most of us wear our hair up for class. Among my friends I'm also the longest, although a few come close, I can think of at least a couple who are around BSL.

Aunteater
November 24th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Except in the immigrant suburbs, I hardly ever see longhairs around here, with a startling exception once in a while, like last week the checkout clerk at the hardware store had gorgeous mostly-light-gray hip-length hair that she wore down. But at my church (it's a small church, and we have no rules against hair-cutting) there are at least three ladies with hair longer than mine, and I'm a bit past waist length.

dancingmegs
November 24th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Where I live (the Pacific Northwest) seems to have quite a few longhairs, I see women most days who have hair around waist or tailbone. There seem to be a lot of women in my neck of the woods especially who have hair about waist length, and embrace a very natural look in general. I find it lovely.

Quixii
November 24th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Yeah. Besides from my mother, who also has tailbone hair, I have two close friends who have hair between their waist and hips. Plus, my high school has a high percentage of Pacific Islanders, (it's actually about 33% them and 33% white people) and many of the girls have hair near their hips. I noticed one the other day that even has classic length hair.

windinherhair
November 24th, 2009, 07:09 PM
It seems like I rarely see people with hair at their waist or longer. I have felt pretty much alone with hair this long (until LHC of course!).

VJG
September 21st, 2013, 10:43 PM
No, I know very few other long-haired people. However, I have been seeing a gradual increase? Perhaps because I'm more tuned in to the possibility, since reading LHC boards.

0xalis
September 22nd, 2013, 12:24 AM
My dad's a longhair. His hair is to about BSL when curly/wavy and ALMOST waist when held straight, but it's so thin that his ponytail is less than an inch [he's 50 and balding lol] Not to mention, he always wears those super thin elastics that rip the crap out of his hair :thud:
My friend has hip length hair that she always wears in a braid :D I always play with it, as she doesn't really care.

ETA: There are quite a few people with long hair here, but most people have medium length or short hair [if you include men] but I live in a rather large city with a lot of diversity [I'll let you guess: it's in eastern washington lol]

Johannah
September 22nd, 2013, 02:02 AM
No one. I want to be the first :cool:

ClassicalBlonde
September 22nd, 2013, 02:25 AM
Yeah, most of the women around here have waist or hip length hair. I've seen one girl with knee length hair and one with classic length. I makes having relatively short hair even harder!

NuclearApple
September 22nd, 2013, 03:29 AM
in my area no one has hair past bsl,and super close there is a hair dresser!(wich is not that good,I already have my hd so I just keep the distances...).
but I have to say in my city the max length is waist,people with longer hair are usually asian or indian ladies and it's really rare seeing them.

amalieDK
September 22nd, 2013, 04:22 AM
I'm living in London for the moment and yesterday I saw a woman with almost classic hair length! She disappeared around a corner so I just ran for catching a glimpse of her lovely dark long hair. I live on the YMCA and a couple of months ago another girl lived here and she had almost tailbone length and it was beautiful. but besides that, I am the only one with hair longer than waist here.

jacqueline101
September 22nd, 2013, 06:48 AM
Yes I see afew.

jupiterinleo
September 22nd, 2013, 07:02 AM
I see long hair, up to hip-length, fairly often on younger women (teens/early 20's) but it's almost always flat-ironed and bleached halfway to hell and very damaged. Makes me cringe when I see it. I would see this at my university also. A lot of girls had the same damaged hair. It was so boring. Other than that, nobody in my area has hair past BSL.

HintOfMint
September 22nd, 2013, 11:56 AM
In my area, long hair is sort of common, but it's really only on teenagers and middle-school kids. I can't recall the last time I saw hair my length in real life on someone around my age (mid-twenties) or older.

deja
September 22nd, 2013, 12:28 PM
I saw a lady one time in my life with knee length at the grocery store years ago. Regular long around here is BSL. That's why I want waist.

mscm
September 22nd, 2013, 01:10 PM
Live with my mother and her hair is so freakin gorgeous! Not so many else I have seen with long hair around which is not extensions

amalieDK
September 30th, 2013, 03:40 AM
Yesterday I saw this woman with dreadlocks longer than knee length! She was wearing her hair down. Her hair must be so so heavy! :O

GG
September 30th, 2013, 03:59 AM
I live in a part of my country known for its barbie doll women. Plenty of long hairs, but almost all extensions. To the point that my naturally-almost-bsl hair is marvelled at for being 'real'.

Federica
September 30th, 2013, 05:16 AM
In Milan, where I live, there are many. I know many guys who have dreadlocks between waist to knee and also many girls who have beautiful long hair all around, between waist to hip.
Also, most of my friends are long haired: 4 of my best friends are at WL like me, and one is to CL.
So there's really much competition here. :)

sakuraemily
September 30th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Absolutely! I live in India and what with the long hair traditions still holding good for so many people I see atleast 15 long hairs a day. I mean beyond hip. 23% of the girls in my college have hair longer than hip. Majority have it longer than waist.
People in India seem to be more accepting of long hair than other places from what you all seem to be writing. No one here is going to say ew to long hair. I don't mean this thread but I've seen people say that they've been given unpleasant comments in other threads.

longhairdesired
September 30th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Around here, SL to APL is about average. It's considered pretty "long" at the top of BSL. It's basically considered "Rapunzel length" if it hits waist. There are a few WL here and there but most have a lot of damage. Occasionally, you will see someone with TBL but I've only been seeing this recently. Before it was so rare.

Stray_mind
September 30th, 2013, 09:24 AM
I know one longhair and each time i see her hair, i want to take it all for myself :D... And there are a lot of longhairs that i do not know... Long hair is a fashion trend of this year...

rosiedeam
September 30th, 2013, 09:27 AM
I'm in Seattle, and I actually see a lot more men on the daily with very long hair than women. I have the longest hair of any woman I know, but I have several male friends with hair longer than mine. I think It might have something to do with all the computer jobs in the area, since they don't require employees to work with the public there is less of a hang up about looking 'professional', which is for some reason defined as sort hair for men. As far as women go, most of the women I see who are in their 20's or 30's have APL or BSL hair at the longest (but few reach waist) the really long haired women I see tend to be in their 50's or 60's. If I want to see really beautiful hair on all people, I head to the reservation, the Native American population of the area often have very beautiful long hair.

Silver Sister
September 30th, 2013, 11:04 AM
There are plenty of chop-chop hair cuts on women my age (60's) , and very few "long hairs" beyond APL. The younger girls have APL at longest and their hair is often in poor condition. The county has plenty of long-hairs wearing coverings (Mennonite and Amish) but they live in separate areas and don't mingle.

Family: My grandmother never cut her hair during her long life (97), and wrapped it around her head in two braids. She shampooed once per week and used a cold water apple cider vinegar rinse.

pinchbeck
May 2nd, 2014, 10:20 AM
Longhairs (WL and longer) are commonplace where I live and it seems a lot more women are growing their hair long and not dying it (bad for the beauty industry!). We who have had virgin long hair and were a rarity are getting to the point where we will no longer be.

chen bao jun
May 2nd, 2014, 01:25 PM
Hair where I live in longer than it used to be, but still not anywhere near LHC standards.
If I was to flat iron my hair, I would at this point be among the longest haired women my age I know at BSL bottom. This is even close to the limit of what the teenagers and twenty somethings will wear. they cut their hair back once it gets to mid back, if it grows that long (a lot of them don't seem to get past APL, which is not surprising for blowdrying, flatironing wash every day people).
My family used to have a lot of longhairs, but not anymore. the older ladies who kept their hair natural are dead and the chemical relaxer, must get highlights granddaughers are at all SL. My husbands family never had longhaired people, except for a couple of nieces whose mother gave them such strong, coarse East Asian hair genes that they are able to flat iron and blowdry and stay at mid back. But I'm catching up with them, at this point. Though in my buns, no one can tell.
and none of the men have long hair. One of my sons wants to, but can't with his current job.

neko_kawaii
May 2nd, 2014, 01:31 PM
Oh yes! Hair as long as classic is common enough not to draw special attention.

Weewah
May 2nd, 2014, 01:38 PM
I work with a few true longhairs, and several fake longhairs who use long extentions. Overall in my area I don't see many. I live in Chicago and everyone more or less has a professional look.

Nadine <3
May 2nd, 2014, 02:09 PM
I went to school with a girl who had floor length hair. She kept it up in a bun for class, but I got a peak at it during gym class. We did swimming for class and this poor girls hair HATED the chlorine and she would have a heck of a time trying to get ready in time for the next class so I would help her out by conditioning her length while she washed up her body and her swimming suit. If was almost kinda fun racing and trying to get both of us ready! It was awful going to the next class with drippy hair.

I also had a friend who had waist, maybe hip...she kept it in a braid all the time, used elastics with metal and ripped her brush through it all the time so it was in pretty sad condition.

Other than that I only see MBL really. Maybe waist but I live in a college city and that isn't the norm for around here

~*~Aspen~*~
May 29th, 2014, 07:44 PM
College town, Several BSL and MBL, I have seen several long haired people here no doubt, some older couple with beautiful silver classic/knee length hair, a girl with classic who it took 15 years to grow out she said, immigrant Mexican children with braids of tail length who when undone reach knee length in beautiful layered lengths, and if you are in the southern area of the parts that graze the land you will meet the simple and covered Mennonite women with their one plait crown braid, or covered bun. There are also several Pentacostal churches as well.

So yea,..

but generally the older women here will tend to keep their hair short usually pixie to just grazing shoulder, but there are several few here with long hair!

woodswanderer
May 29th, 2014, 08:01 PM
In my area I don't generally see anyone past waist unless they are growing for religious purposes.

DweamGoiL
May 29th, 2014, 08:15 PM
The area where I live is very diverse so you do see a lot of women with long hair. For the most part, it's pretty common to see WL, but longer is more rare, but not unheard of.

LauraLongLocks
May 29th, 2014, 09:46 PM
No long hairs here. At least not that I've seen. Here when you hit 30 you get the old lady cut also known as the Peggy hill. the bangs and they hair that is curled back. Everyone has this cut I am serious. Otherwise most of the younger set have that inverted bob thing or one of those choppy short emo cuts.

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii344/ikbob/peggy-hill6.jpgI also live in Nampa, Idaho and this is definitely true! Most women have this cut after they reach 30 years, unless they are Hispanic. In which case, they usually have longer hair, but I haven't seen much hair past TBL-Classic in my area. Most "long" hair is BSL.

JadedByEntropy
May 29th, 2014, 10:19 PM
I actually see a few. one man at work has Hip length and a friend has TBL with fairy ends :D another has classic she keeps trimmed there, and are all good inspiration!!! There is a trend in North Carolina for "long" BSL hair, and very few pass that unless its straightened beyond reason and or extensions.
One of my friends has called dibs on my next chop for extensions xD haha

Sarahlabyrinth
May 30th, 2014, 03:48 AM
I live near a small town and the long hairs around here would be teens to 20's. Beyond that age the hair becomes shorter and shorter. Long hair is pretty much APL to BSL and waist is pretty unusual. As for people my age, I have never seen any with long hair at all. So I guess I'm an oddity. Yay for that!

Marika
May 30th, 2014, 04:35 AM
My immediate answer would be "no" but I actually did a little "look around" today and saw surprisingly many long haired people. Waist length seems to be quite common but I saw even a couple of tbl. I didn't see any buns but lots of ponytails and wearing hair down.

LunaHuntress
May 30th, 2014, 01:18 PM
It depends on your definition of "long." Around here shoulder to BSL is fairly common but waist is the longest I've ever seen. Unfortunately the longer ones tend to be poorly cared for, heavily bleached/dyed and heat damaged. There was one woman several weeks ago across the counter from me (so about two feet) and I could actually see her spit ends :bigeyes: . There are also quite a few men with mid-back length hair (one that frequently comes into the store where I work looks like he could have played one of the Rohirrim in the Lord of the Rings movies. I always stare when he comes in :p) and we have a large Native American population who tend to keep their hair long.

divinedobbie
May 30th, 2014, 01:27 PM
In my town, most 30+ women have hair between shoulder and APL, the usual bobs as well. Most girls in high school have BSL hair, though waist length hair +/- a few inches is pretty normal too.

I'm moving to a much, much larger city coming up in September for university. We have a facebook group for the new students so I went and did some "creeping" of profiles and literally at least 80-90% of girls have hair past waist if not longer.

MadeiraD
May 30th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Providence you see a fair amount of long hair, lots of dudes with chin length to MBL, lots of ladies with waist to TBL. I've not seen anything past TBL though.

tigereye
May 30th, 2014, 02:31 PM
I do, but it's mostly the international students. Most people don't realise how many long-hairs there are as a lot of them bun it most of the time, like I do. There are very few local Scottish folk with hair past BSL.
I haven't seen any guys with hair below BSL yet, but guys with ponytails seem to be appearing more often. One guy I know just manages to twist his fine hair into an almost-bun type loop, but he's the longest.

georgia_peach
May 30th, 2014, 06:45 PM
When I started this thread over four years ago, the answer was "no". I've since moved to an area where there are many more ladies (alas, no men) with hair at least waist length or longer. But it's a story of extremes. Lots of chin length, colored or bleached inverted bobs but many long hairs as well.