PDA

View Full Version : Well Water + Hair

argyle
November 24th, 2009, 12:44 AM
So we have well water supplying out house and shower, and I reckon there must be some sort of mineral in it that makes our shower turn orange and get buildup on the shower head. We recently replaced the shower head so it works better, but...

My hair breaks. Inexplicably.

And I baby it sooo much, use a boar bristle brush, never brush it when it's wet, don't use any hair bands, just pull it back with a little claw clip. I don't straighten, curl, or blow dry it.... ever. When I say "ever", I'm talking at least the past 2 years. When I left it down, it broke just the same!

I have no problems with split ends. It just breaks off and is much shorter. Now the hair itself seems to be pretty shiny and healthy. So why is it breaking? :(

I have this idea that maybe it is the water. Because it has always been like this for as long as I remember, no matter how gently I treat my hair.

Also it grows very slowly. By that I mean I have maybe 2 inches of growth since last May. And only 1 trim. Is that about right? It doesnt seem to be gaining any length.

Ok so I have been looking it up and I guess I need a water softener for my shower head? How do I get one of those and how much does it cost? Anyone know?

georgia_peach
November 24th, 2009, 04:27 AM
I, too, have well water. Imagine all of that orange stuff and mineral build up also collecting on your hair. I suspect that's at least adding to your problem. You need to clarify your hair (have you tried vinegar rinses?). Then maybe follow up with a rinse of distilled water. I'm no plumbing expert, but I think your local hardware sales person could help you find either a water softener or maybe even a water purifier that would fit your needs and your budget. Best of luck!

missy60
November 24th, 2009, 04:41 AM
vinegar only removes stuff from that wash so with minerals you would need a cheleating product. Malibu makes a very gentle treatment to remove the minerals and it runs around 3.00 a pack. They also have products to use regularly to keep the minerals off.