PDA

View Full Version : How to get thicker ends

OLLIE
November 23rd, 2009, 02:22 PM
Hey there,
I have a question, I have hair that when it gets longer and longer it get thinner at the ends. I had tailbone hair and now I cut about 4 inches off because I hated to see my ends so thin.
I would put my hair in a braid and it was terrible at the ends with a look through hair so thin.
How do Keep my ends thick? I blunt cut my ends and I really dont cut very often. I do dust my hair here and there.
But I really need to know how I can keep my thickness at the ends.
My hair is blonde and I am also growing out my bangs .

Any one? suggestions to this would be great.
thanks.:)

jojo
November 23rd, 2009, 02:30 PM
When your fringe catches up with your length, it will get thicker. I also have fine hair and have trims 3 times a year (planning on just 2 next year) to keep my hemline 'looking' thicker. I have a blunt hemline which doesnt really make it look thicker, it just gives the illussion it is!

chrissy-b
November 23rd, 2009, 02:33 PM
I think the only way is to do frequent small trims until all the hairs catch up and make your hemline look thicker. At longer lengths, though, sometimes it will always taper.

Anje
November 23rd, 2009, 02:36 PM
I wish I knew how to really get ends to be thicker. To some extent, good care and maintaining hair at a given length will allow the new ends to eventually reach the bottom. Growing out layers and bangs helps too.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much thicker my ends are likely to get. A while back, someone suggested to me that I might not be far from terminal length, given that thickness hasn't improved much with many months of maintaining the length I have. If you're near terminal, you might not get a whole lot more thickness at the ends, though better care can help you get as much as possible.

InTheCity
November 23rd, 2009, 06:51 PM
You and me both - and I'm taking everyone's advice to continue with proper care to prevent damage and frequent trims once I reach my goal in a few months.

I guess it makes sense that since new hairs grow all the time, only some of our hairs are at the longest length, some are middle, some are baby hairs... Frequent trims at goal length (or before) may help the rest of the hairs catch up.

Good luck, I'll be on the same mission.

JamieLeigh
November 24th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Unfortunately, the main way I can think of to get thicker ends would be to trim often. As in either grow and maintain, or just do tiny trims as you grow. I know "trim" can be a wordy-durd sometimes, but if you want thick ends, yet your hair naturally tapers, you really don't have a lot of choice in the matter.

And for longer lengths like hip+....Sometimes the hair on the sides and front of your head doesn't grow as fast or as long as the hair in the back middle. So it gives the impression of a taper much quicker at longer lengths than it does sometimes at short lengths. I think just about everyone's hair does this, short or long, but it's more noticeable, IMHO on longer hair. (At least it is more noticeable to me, maybe not to everyone)

spidermom
November 24th, 2009, 09:12 AM
I have a small amount trimmed off the bottom on a regular basis and think it helps the overall appearance. Nobody's hair will ever be "all one length" though. There will always be old hairs shedding out and new hairs growing in.

Delila
November 24th, 2009, 10:34 AM
For me, patience, gentle handling, regular micro-trims and wearing updos have helped increase the overall thickness of my hair.
My hemline's quite thin, but I think that's partially leftover layers from the days when I wore my hair short. (I grew out from a pixie)

My braid is gradually getting thicker towards the bottom, but I'm not willing to sacrifice a lot of length just to get rid of some thinner stuff. (I'm finding it much easier/more comfy as my hair gets longer. No way am I going back toward waist.)

Mutinous
November 24th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Trimming. I'm in the process of growing out layers, and I had my Mum trim my hair a couple of days ago (about an inch) and it just looks so much thicker its unreal.