PDA

View Full Version : My First Scalp Only Wash :)

Aerith
November 23rd, 2009, 11:24 AM
Hey fellow long hairs! :)

Two days ago I tried out Amoretti's "How To Do A Full Scalp Wash (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=85)" article on my own hair because I am trying to repair and salvage as many of my ends as possible before I decide how much I should trim off. I normally wash my full head of hair (ends and all) every other day because I hate the greasy look. But this week, I decided I'd go a full week without washing the ends and try scalp only washing in between a full wash.

And it went pretty well! :)

I have TBL hair so holding it up wasn't too much of a problem. I managed to keep most of it dry below the shoulders. My arm got a little tired from keeping my hair up for so long and my neck hurt a tiny bit due to leaning over, but I was able to get most of the oils off my scalp where I wanted to. I did it in the kitchen sink because I don't have a detachable shower head in the bathroom, and it seemed like it would be much easier.

I had a little trouble getting the oils off in the center of my head and it seems impossible to do so without getting the full length wet (and once it's full wet it takes all day to dry even if I wear it down) and it took a little longer than expected because I had to scrub very gently or it seemed like I'd break some hairs off. But it was only my first one and I am pretty satisfied with how it came out! I'm assuming I'll get a better and faster with practice. I'm going to do another scalp only wash again today since I see some oils in the front again after two days.

I'm planning on washing all my hair, ends and all, like usual the day before Thanksgiving and then it will have been a full week since I did so. I highly recommend that people with waist length or longer hair give a scalp only wash a try if you haven't yet if you have fragile ends! I might not make this a permanent thing, but if my ends need babying for a while, this is the way to go! My ends aren't feeling as dry and tangly compared to how they normally feel. :bunny:

MsBubbles
November 23rd, 2009, 11:45 AM
Well, ditto pretty much everything you said, Aerith! Except the tailbone bit...not there yet :)!!

I share your newfound excitement for scalp washes! I just started doing them 2 weeks ago. I am throwing in a few SMT's on the length only once or twice a week. I have greasy scalp issues too. I think scalp washes are going to make all the difference between me having TB+ length hair, and not.

Oh I forgot to say: Somebody suggested to me to bag the length, which frees up the other hand. I make a loose ponytail, put 2 or 3 loose ponytail holders down the length, put a shower cap over it, tie with another loose ponytail holder, put ANOTHER shower cap over that plus ponytail holder, and most of it stays dry. Maybe you can get the shampoo to your scalp better, and still gently, by using both hands somehow.

Aerith
November 23rd, 2009, 11:58 AM
Well, ditto pretty much everything you said, Aerith! Except the tailbone bit...not there yet :)!!

I share your newfound excitement for scalp washes! I just started doing them 2 weeks ago. I am throwing in a few SMT's on the length only once or twice a week. I have greasy scalp issues too. I think scalp washes are going to make all the difference between me having TB+ length hair, and not.

Oh I forgot to say: Somebody suggested to me to bag the length, which frees up the other hand. I make a loose ponytail, put 2 or 3 loose ponytail holders down the length, put a shower cap over it, tie with another loose ponytail holder, put ANOTHER shower cap over that plus ponytail holder, and most of it stays dry. Maybe you can get the shampoo to your scalp better, and still gently, by using both hands somehow.

Hey MsBubbles,

Thanks for the tip! :) I am a little afraid of trying the bag method after hearing a horror story about the bag getting tangled in someone's hair, but having two hands to work with sounds sooo good. I think I'll give it a try sometime, but I'll just make sure to be extra careful! :eek:

I definitely think scalp washes may actually help people get to their goals faster. Oh, I saw your photo album and your hair is just gorgeous, Bubbles. I love the texture and color!

Aerith
November 23rd, 2009, 03:37 PM
I forgot to say that I use a shampoo dispenser with a pump, so that made it a lot easier. It still would be easiest with two hands though.

MsBubbles
November 23rd, 2009, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the nice hair comment! I look forward to seeing a pic of your hair, when you can post it!

It's a good idea to use a bottle with a nozzle of some kind for that I guess. My hair is so thin/fine/flat, it doesn't take much to get drenched and lathered then rinsed again.

When I was putting my hair up in a pretzel bun earlier, my ends felt so much thicker, and the bun actually had some substance to it! I know I can't all of a sudden have just sprouted APL-BSL growth :). I concluded it's because I'm not washing the blazes out of my ends every other day :D.

JamieRose
November 23rd, 2009, 04:15 PM
When my hair gets longer, I will def. be all about scalp washes- how nice it would be to not have to walk around with wet hair this winter!

Maybe I'll try it out soon anyways, my hair is almost BSL... (I'm pretty sure it is, but I promised myself I wouldn't look until Christmas, and I don't want to jinx myself!)

Tressie
November 23rd, 2009, 04:24 PM
I have done a few of these and it generally goes fairly well. The only real drawback I have is tangles in the area of the ponytail holder. I do tend to shed a good bit, but this may be inevitable. I have done ACV rinses, to regular wash (scalp only) and it does cut down on the drying time! Good luck with it!