PDA

View Full Version : ways to wash hair

mommy2one05
April 23rd, 2008, 11:23 PM
I prefer to wash my hair while bending over and washing the hair in kitchen sink. I find this easier to do especially as my hair gets longer. I hate when I wash it in the shower and my hair sticks to me and when shedding is all over the tub, at least in the kitchen sink I can put a catchie thing in the drain so my shedded hair wont clog up the drains. But my question is is washing your hair like this any more damaging than any other way? Also can I wash my hair like this and still correctly hair type my hair? Sorry for all the ?s and thanks for help:)

Cinnamon Hair
April 24th, 2008, 12:18 AM
But my question is is washing your hair like this any more damaging than any other way? Also can I wash my hair like this and still correctly hair type my hair? Sorry for all the ?s and thanks for help:)

If your hair isn't getting caught in the drain and you aren't shedding more washing at the sink itself shouldn't cause damage.

Hairtyping is only accurate when done on hair that hasn't been manipulated after washing (except for combing once if needed). Your volume may be affected if you wash upside down, but since you'll be wearing it down your back to dry, I don't see it causing too much of an issue with natural wave/curl formation.

julya
April 24th, 2008, 02:33 AM
I almost always wash my hair in the sink. But I usually just wash my scalp, and leave the length dry.

Shanarana
April 24th, 2008, 05:44 AM
Though I do at times wash my hair in the sink, I prefer washing in the shower. My hair has less tangles if I wash in the shower.

Patrycja
April 24th, 2008, 07:37 AM
I find that bending over forwards into the tub or sink,I end up with lots more tangles.If I don't wash in the shower-I sit down with my back facing the tub and wash my hair that way.But-I do have a spray nozzel that I can control by hand.

Like Cinnamon Hair said-if its not causing you any shedding,etc-it shouldn't be bad for you.Everyone is different when it comes to washing.

KajiKodomo
April 24th, 2008, 07:52 AM
As long as you aren't noticing any breakage or more tangling than when you wash it in the shower, it's not a problem at all. I can imagine myself making a big mess with water and cleanser everywhere, but maybe you have a much deeper sink that I do?

I know that I cannot wash my hair like that because it tangles so badly when I flip it over. That's the reason I don't use my turbie twist as often as I want to. I've even tried it "backwards" but it tends to slip off of my head when I do it like that. I guess my hair drags it down.

mommy2one05
April 24th, 2008, 09:05 AM
If your hair isn't getting caught in the drain and you aren't shedding more washing at the sink itself shouldn't cause damage.

Hairtyping is only accurate when done on hair that hasn't been manipulated after washing (except for combing once if needed). Your volume may be affected if you wash upside down, but since you'll be wearing it down your back to dry, I don't see it causing too much of an issue with natural wave/curl formation.

so when I type my hair I can comb through once if needed...is that correct?
thanks for everybodys input

birdiefu
April 24th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Yes, you can detangle briefly before hairtyping, preferably while it is as sopping wet as possible. The dryer it is when you comb, the more your natural pattern will be disturbed (even combing while damp will do this for me).

spidermom
April 24th, 2008, 09:40 AM
For me, your washing method would be a recipe for tangles. Standing under the shower with my hair streaming down my back is one of my pleasures in life.

WendyJo
April 24th, 2008, 09:49 AM
I always wash my hair in the shower, if I try to bend over the sink or tub to do it I have a nightmare of tangles! Although sometimes I wish I could since sometimes when I've already showered and need to wash or rinse my hair again I don't want to go through getting in the shower again.