PDA

View Full Version : I am now Co-Washing my hair! Can you help me out with a few questions?

Iron0Maiden
November 23rd, 2009, 08:53 AM
Hey! I am pretty new to here, about 3 weeks or less maybe. I heard of co-washing from here and I have been now co-washing for about 3 weeks so far, and I LOVE it. But I have a few questions on it:
1) If I ever use hairspray, hair gel, etc. in my hair for whatever reason, will co-washing get that out, or will I have to shampoo?
2) Will I ever have to shampoo? Or can I just keep co-washing forever?
*This question is off-topic, but I thought I'd throw it in: If I S&D, should I go out and buy haircutting scissors, or can I just use any old ones?

Thank you. The first question is the most important, because I'm afraid if I use products I'll get buildup, but will Co-Washing get rid of that? :confused:

CrisDee
November 23rd, 2009, 09:08 AM
I'm very new on this board, but I've been CO washing my hair for about a year and a half now - am currently trying out baking soda/ACV, but that's another topic :-) I'd found that when I use some gels and sprays that they do build up in the hair and I have to wash them out occasionally with shampoo. I did some internet research (what did we EVER do before the internet??) and found a recipe for natural hairspray - couldn't be easier, just slice up a lemon and boil it on low for a couple hours - poof, hairspray! I put it in a spray bottle with a splash of rubbing alcohol so it doesn't spoil, and it doesn't build up in my hair. Also, I use aloe gel as hair gel, and that also does not build up in my hair. HTH :-)

Marions
November 23rd, 2009, 09:19 AM
You will have to clarify from time to time, but you don't have to use a shampoo. Rhassoul clay works best for me, you can also try baking soda or apple cider vinegar.
And yes, definitely buy haircutting scissors. They don't have to be very expensive (I use Tweezerman, around 30 dollars), but dull scissors can do more harm than good.

redneckprincess
November 23rd, 2009, 09:34 AM
im new..ish to CO washing but I still shampoo once a week just incase

alwayssmiling
November 23rd, 2009, 10:11 AM
Hi, I have been CO washing for 6 weeks without shampooing. My hair/scalp has never been better so I'll just keep going until I feel I need to shampoo. I have used some products on my hair and haven't had any build up or residue at all, but I'm just a beginner to this so I'm sure others may tell you differently. I only use the smallest amount of product I can get away with, if you use tons of hairspray I would guess that clarifying might be necessary.

Yes to a decent pair of scissors!

Loreley
November 23rd, 2009, 10:32 AM
I started COing 3 or 4 weeks ago. It was very good, much better results than I expected. My hair was really soft and wasn't greasier than usual. And I didn't have a built up... Until a week ago when I tried a new cone-free conditioner. It's said to be natural but my scalp became itchy and made me a terrible built up. So I finally had to clarify yesterday and I used shampoo. I will continue COing without this conditioner. Actually, in my country I can't buy many cone free conditioners. I've found only 3 so far but one of them is obviously rubbish.
So, this wasn't exactly an answer for the question, but I though I'd share my experiences. :o

jivete
November 23rd, 2009, 10:53 AM
CO can get most things out, but not all. I CWC with a non-sls poo once per week and do a full SLS or non-SLS wash when I feel my hair needs it, maybe once a month. If you notice your ends feeling dry and crispy, or unusually tangly, it's usually time to use shampoo.

Carolyn
November 23rd, 2009, 11:01 AM
You'll know when a wash with shampoo is called for. Do it on an as needed basis. It's going to be different for everyone. BTW acv does not clarify. Yes do get some good hair cutting scissors. Sallys has some good one. Check for sales. I have the Tweezerman scissors someone else mentioned and I like them a lot.

jojo
November 23rd, 2009, 11:26 AM
I CO wash fairly new to it, but I do a diluted shampoo like 2 parts shampoo and 8 parts water every sunday night, then I just CO wash a few times a week. This works well for me.

Be careful with the baking soda though as it makes hair very dry, well mine anyway! Try a ACV rinse these are good when COing, they dont clarify but help regulate the pH of the scalp to optimise growth (i think! I could well be making that up!)

ravenreed
November 23rd, 2009, 01:23 PM
I went a long time without any shampooing, maybe 6 - 8 months. My hair was just as happy as could be. I shampooed recently when I hennaed for the first time because that stuff is really hard to get out! However, I am using a shampoo bar, not "regular" (i.e. SLS-based) shampoo.

I think in the whole year or more since I went CO, I have only used a SLS shampoo twice, because I put a cone based product in my hair. Both times, I had a huge amount of shed compared to when I CO, which supports my theory that my scalp prefers I not use SLS.

jojo
November 23rd, 2009, 02:15 PM
Mine too make a huge difference i agree.

Honey39
November 23rd, 2009, 03:23 PM
I've been CO_washing on a daily basis for about eighteen months. It suits me absolutely fine! I shampoo about every 6-8 weeks, usually if my hair's not 'behaving'. I suppose it depends on your hair type - I have thick, wurly, frizzy hair, and my main objective is to get it as moisturised and conditioned as possible. Shampoo does NOT agree with me! I usually COwash with a cone-free conditioner, and then use a decent leave-in conditioner, with coconut oil on top.

I suspect if I used a cone-conditioner I would need to shampoo more frequently because of the build-up; I prefer cone-free for that reason. I'm also worried about my scalp getting 'clogged', so my co-washes are pretty vigorous - lots of rubbing and massaging, and loads of rinsing.

My only main tip if you CO-wash would be to always try shampooing your hair first whenever your hair seems 'off-colour' - that always seems to sort it out for me!

Iron0Maiden
November 23rd, 2009, 06:38 PM
Thank you! I sometimes use gel or hair spray when I scrunch my hair or curl it. But I've noticed that since I've been Co-Washing, my hair turned so soft and shiny! I also didn't notice any split ends, and that could also be due to the fact that ever since I got a hair trim about 1 month ago, I've been wearing my hair up that whole month. So yeah, I was just worried I would get buildup from the sprays and the silicone in conditioner. Any other haircare tips? You guys are seriously so helpful to me! :)

RecklessCharlie
November 23rd, 2009, 07:55 PM
I am going to be trying a CO wash only program from now on - thanks to all the info I've found here on the site!
Thanks to the OP for asking the questions I had myself :)

lonestargal
November 23rd, 2009, 07:55 PM
I CO nightly and I alternate between cone free and coney conditioners. My 'washing' conditioner is always cone free, I use VO5. But I alternate between Biolage Conditioning Balm (cone free) and Loreal Nature Therapy (cones) as my
2nd conditioner. Depending on how my hair acts that day I may use a little mousse, gel, or serum. Because my hair is so unpredictable, I wash every Sunday night with Kenra moisturizing shampoo and use a deep conditioner. My hair has never been shinier or softer.

I would say that if you are strictly cone free, you more than likely won't need to shampoo for a while. If you use AVG as your gel, no need to shampoo. Just go by how your hair feels. You'll know when it's time.

JamieLeigh
November 24th, 2009, 09:00 AM
I've been CO-washing almost a year now (two months to go!) and I usually clarify maybe every two months or so. But it's not so much that my hair really *needs* it, per se, it's just a comfort issue for me - my scalp is oily and if I go CO with no clarify for longer than 2 months, my hair is unmanageable. But like I say, that's just for my own peace of mind, and I probably could go longer if I weren't annoyed with things so easily. :p

With the sprays and gels - I don't use them, so I couldn't say. If you feel there is build-up from those products, to the point where you see a difference in how your hair looks and feels, then by all means, clarify. Just avoid clarifying too often, as you can dry out your scalp (especially if you are using baking soda to clarify - you definitely shouldn't do that every other day!! :eek: )

Scissors? Yes, professional trimming scissors are recommended, but as long as your scissors are as sharp as possible, regular household scissors wouldn't hurt anything. The key is, as long as the scissors are very sharp, so that you won't split the hair shaft. :)

princesxnatalie
July 7th, 2010, 03:30 PM
ddgdfhdjdejt

willowkisses
June 30th, 2017, 04:32 PM
Hello, new here and considering co-washing and I have a couple questions as well for any other people who CO wash.
currently I only wash with shampoo after an oil treatment, about once a week or every 5 days if i'm extra sweaty that week. with CO washing, how often should you do it? every day? every other day? twice a week? any other tips or advice for Co-washing would also be really appreciated <3

gthlvrmx
June 30th, 2017, 08:07 PM
Hello, new here and considering co-washing and I have a couple questions as well for any other people who CO wash.
currently I only wash with shampoo after an oil treatment, about once a week or every 5 days if i'm extra sweaty that week. with CO washing, how often should you do it? every day? every other day? twice a week? any other tips or advice for Co-washing would also be really appreciated <3

You can CO wash as often as you need. Many people, including me, feel CO washing gets oil out of your hair better than shampoo all in one wash. Just lather and manipulate your scalp and hair a little more (maybe look into the 300 seconds method here on LHC) and leave the conditioner in your hair for 5 minutes or more to get as much oil as you can out and a bit of an extra conditioning treatment.