PDA

View Full Version : is it ok to condition daily? AND my hair has gone straight!?!?

redneckprincess
November 23rd, 2009, 06:41 AM
to CO wash daily?

I have gone to doing CO washes, and shampooing once a week, prefferably the night before I do an SMT.

So I can proballty go up to about 3 days in between "washes" depending on the kind of conditioner I use..But I dont like to take a shower without cleaning my hair, so is it ok to condition hair daily or should I wait a day or two to let the natural oils do their thing? maybe I'm missing the resion all together??

TIA

ALSO: I have no pictures on this just yet but wait till next week..my waves are gone?? could it be the lebngth holding it down or the fact I went back to cone-ing my ends?
ETA: I am very much loveing this effect!! ☺

Tabitha
November 23rd, 2009, 06:48 AM
If you find out what made it straight, I would LOVE to know! my hairtype is pretty much the same as yours and I prefer it straighter - the ends still wave when it's straight because of my layers, giving it plenty of movement still.

RavennaNight
November 23rd, 2009, 07:11 AM
I think it is the mix of CO washing and cones that got you straight. Cones straightened my 2B hair into the 1's. Is the conditioner you are COing with coney too?

EvaSimone
November 23rd, 2009, 07:14 AM
I agree with Ravenna cones take me from a 2a to a 1a/1b.

I don't think their is anything wrong with COing every day. A lot of people do CO every day.

Carolyn
November 23rd, 2009, 07:16 AM
I think it's OK to CO daily. My hair does better the more often it's wet. My ends are less dry. I usually wash/CO every other day but that's just my laziness. I often CO day after day especially in the summer or when I am on vacation and want my hair to look it's nicest. I wish CO would take away my waves.

gnegirl
November 23rd, 2009, 07:18 AM
Now if there was something that made us 1's into 2's i'd be there (short of bun or braid waves)

Gothic Lolita
November 23rd, 2009, 07:19 AM
In general I'd say it's okay to condition daily, but if you really think you can skip one wash, go for it. Unless your length really needs to be conditioned daily, I think you could do fine with only washing every 2 days and maybe oiling the length. For me, washing when unnecessary often means "addicting" my hair to the products and getting scalp problems either sooner or later.
It really can't hurt trying out less washing and if you dislike it, it's no big deal to wash more often.

redneckprincess
November 23rd, 2009, 07:27 AM
I think it is the mix of CO washing and cones that got you straight. Cones straightened my 2B hair into the 1's. Is the conditioner you are COing with coney too?

well my conditioning routine is a bit strange, lol...I use a cone free conditioner on the top/newgrowth/undamaged/virgin/natural color..

and a cone-d conditioner onthe bleached/damaged ends from my ears down..

thanks all for the responces!!

Carolyn
November 23rd, 2009, 08:39 AM
well my conditioning routine is a bit strange, lol...I use a cone free conditioner on the top/newgrowth/undamaged/virgin/natural color..

and a cone-d conditioner onthe bleached/damaged ends from my ears down..I don't think that's strange at all. Sounds like a good routine to me.

nature-head
November 23rd, 2009, 08:54 AM

and a cone-d conditioner onthe bleached/damaged ends from my ears down..

thanks all for the responces!!

There are plenty of people who CO everyday, but my guess is all that extra moisture is making you lose your waves. Personally, if I CO everyday I get too much buildup and have to shampoo more often. So I switch off doing WO and CO every other day with a shampoo once a week. It has made a huge difference. I have really damaged and dry ends too and I've found that just getting them wet helps with moisture.

redneckprincess
November 23rd, 2009, 09:37 AM
I don't think that's strange at all. Sounds like a good routine to me.

it has taken me a while to come up with it but it is working perfectly...for now, lol

There are plenty of people who CO everyday, but my guess is all that extra moisture is making you lose your waves. Personally, if I CO everyday I get too much buildup and have to shampoo more often. So I switch off doing WO and CO every other day with a shampoo once a week. It has made a huge difference. I have really damaged and dry ends too and I've found that just getting them wet helps with moisture.

I dont dislike the straighter hair im getting...I will edit that in the OP

longhairedfairy
November 23rd, 2009, 09:53 AM
I think that's basically what CinnamonHair does, using no-cone conditioner to wash the scalp and sometimes uses 'cones on the length. http://beyondclassic.awardspace.us/routine.html

jojo
November 23rd, 2009, 12:55 PM
CO washing normally brings the curl out, but theres always an exception to the rule.

And yes CO washing everyday is fine!

halo_tightens
November 23rd, 2009, 12:59 PM
I know that my hair used to be much straighter when I used cones, and has much more wave now that I'm not using cones.

If I ever switch back to cones for a while, I'll be sure to report back on whether or not my straightness/waviness was affected!! :)

ericthegreat
November 23rd, 2009, 04:17 PM
Its perfectly fine to CO rinse your hair every day, this is exactly what I do every night and it works wonderfully for my hair. However, I do not use cones. I know a few other members here who do use coney conditioners to CO, so again it will take good old trial and error to see what works best for you RNP.

And yes, it can definitely be possible for a conditioner, especially a rich and coney one to straighten out your hair.

redneckprincess
November 23rd, 2009, 04:19 PM
I know that my hair used to be much straighter when I used cones, and has much more wave now that I'm not using cones.

If I ever switch back to cones for a while, I'll be sure to report back on whether or not my straightness/waviness was affected!! :)
I was a lifelong cone user (shampoo and condit) untill I joined LHC and that never held my hair straighter maybe it has something to do with no shampoo??/ when I change my routine I'll let you know

lonestargal
November 23rd, 2009, 08:06 PM
I CO everyday without any problems. I always 'wash' with VO5 which is cone free and my conditioning conditioner is either Biolage Conditioning Balm (cone free) or Loreal Nature Therapy (cones). Just whatever my hair feels like it needs, but my hair has never been in better shape since I started CO daily.

klcqtee
November 23rd, 2009, 09:09 PM
Straightened hair is the reason I stopped CO. It took my hair from 2b/2c all the way down to a 1b. It was the combination of heavy cones and the added moisture, I think.

Tabitha I have your hair type, and I found the Herbal Essences Totally Twisted straightened my hair out. All I did was brush it when it was nearly dry, and all my waves died. Also, a little bit of coconut oil then brushing my hair (once dry), helped it to stay straight between washes.