PDA

View Full Version : What to do? Oily AND damaged hair

Yedda
November 22nd, 2009, 11:06 PM
I have hair that is both oily and damaged. When I use conditioner (Any kind, I've tried many), my hair looks stringy and oily. Not a couple days after a wash, but immediately after.

It seems like it is true no matter what shampoo I use, sulfate, sulfate free, whatever.

So I stopped using conditioner, and my hair looks better when I use shampoo only. The only thing is I am concerned that my hair is not protected and will become more damaged.

(My hair never was this oily, the only thing I correlate it to is having elevated stress. So this is a newer problem for me, developing over the last year.)

Any advice?

Kunoichi
November 22nd, 2009, 11:22 PM
I have hair that is both oily and damaged. When I use conditioner (Any kind, I've tried many), my hair looks stringy and oily. Not a couple days after a wash, but immediately after.

- Do you condition your whole scalp and length or just the length?

(My hair never was this oily, the only thing I correlate it to is having elevated stress. So this is a newer problem for me, developing over the last year.)
Any advice?

- Try to relax :p

RancheroTheBee
November 22nd, 2009, 11:38 PM
I wouldn't worry about increasing the damage by not using conditioner.

Most conditioner are there to provide slip and moisture; if your hair is already oily, your scalp is already producing a natural conditioner. Just try moving some of the sebum to the ends between washes, and forget conditioner.

Gypsygirl
November 22nd, 2009, 11:49 PM
I agree with Ranchero and Kunoichi. Your problems might very well be stress-related! Try to relax...you might want to give something like Yoga a go! If that doesn't help, I'd make sure the problems are not symptoms of a hormonal imbalance or something like that. Talk to your doctor...

It looks like your hair doesn't need or like conditioner- so I would just ditch it. You can still treat your tresses to a deep-conditioning treatment every once in a while. When you can stay home... ;)

Yedda
November 23rd, 2009, 12:11 AM
I have tried just conditioning the ends too. I don't know...they still just look stringy.

That's great if not using conditioner is the answer and I won't get any additional damage. It seems to be working better.

I might talk to the doctor too, I have been oily all around and getting pimples on my face and back, and I have NEVER gotten pimples like that, not during adolescence or any other time. Oh yeah, and I've been getting stinky, sorry if that's gross, but I've never really had body odor, now lately I have been.

What in the world.

Well, sorry if that's gross, just thought I'd share.

RancheroTheBee
November 23rd, 2009, 01:27 AM
I have tried just conditioning the ends too. I don't know...they still just look stringy.

That's great if not using conditioner is the answer and I won't get any additional damage. It seems to be working better.

I might talk to the doctor too, I have been oily all around and getting pimples on my face and back, and I have NEVER gotten pimples like that, not during adolescence or any other time. Oh yeah, and I've been getting stinky, sorry if that's gross, but I've never really had body odor, now lately I have been.

What in the world.

Well, sorry if that's gross, just thought I'd share.

It may be a thyroid thing. I hope not, but it may be.

In any case, my rule is: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If something works better, do it instead of what seems to be the accepted way of doing it.

Besides, think of the money you'll save! :grin:

Rhiannon7
November 23rd, 2009, 02:30 AM
I second the doctor visit, better safe than sorry. since the greasyness is not the only thing happening, also the new scent. also have you tried using a bit of oil on wet hair? like almond or coconut or grape seed oil? it helps moisturize, plus you can even try simple butter. just a dab on the ends might help. but just a couple of drops. i use poo and condish, hair cannot live without condish so i also use a mix of shea butter, almond oil and aloe vera gel, dab a dime size glob on wet hair from ears down and helps alot with moisture retention and keeps damage at bay. and do try to relax. is the stress from work? school? home? if possible try to get away from the stress area, go to a movie, buy an ice cream or simply take a walk to the park and enjoy. listen to some music you feel relaxes you. but the first thing is visit a doctor and see if everything is ok. then take it from there. HTH. take care.

jojo
November 23rd, 2009, 07:12 PM
Do you by any chance wash your hair in hot water? as this can cause damage and make hair greasy. Try washing with lukewarm or even cold and see if you notice a difference.

Yedda
November 23rd, 2009, 07:55 PM
I second the doctor visit, better safe than sorry. since the greasyness is not the only thing happening, also the new scent. also have you tried using a bit of oil on wet hair? like almond or coconut or grape seed oil? it helps moisturize, plus you can even try simple butter. just a dab on the ends might help. but just a couple of drops. i use poo and condish, hair cannot live without condish so i also use a mix of shea butter, almond oil and aloe vera gel, dab a dime size glob on wet hair from ears down and helps alot with moisture retention and keeps damage at bay. and do try to relax. is the stress from work? school? home? if possible try to get away from the stress area, go to a movie, buy an ice cream or simply take a walk to the park and enjoy. listen to some music you feel relaxes you. but the first thing is visit a doctor and see if everything is ok. then take it from there. HTH. take care.

Well oil also makes my hair oily, because it is so thin, and already oily, so that doesn't work. I'm stressed out from a lot of things: work, school, bills, being alone, being sick, and so on...I think I will visit a doctor. I really don't believe I have a thyroid problem, but I did look online and saw I have some other symptoms. I hope and pray not:(

Do you by any chance wash your hair in hot water? as this can cause damage and make hair greasy. Try washing with lukewarm or even cold and see if you notice a difference.

Jojo, I hate you for bringing this up but yes I always take hot baths. Super hot. I have read on here it may cause some damage but I have been ignoring that advice in hopes I could keep that one habit as my naughty pleasure...LOL.

But yes, I love taking hot baths. I despise taking baths and showers in luke warm water, I really do. I like to get the water so hot I have to slowly step in and adjust to the water. I don't always do this, probably once or twice a week.

You really think that might be it?

I guess I will try (:rant:) to start taking lukewarm showers and baths in hopes to solve this problem. Thanks so much for bringing that up, I guess I will have to let you know how I look after using lukewarm for a while.

jojo
November 23rd, 2009, 08:00 PM
Jojo, I hate you for bringing this up but yes I always take hot baths. Super hot. I have read on here it may cause some damage but I have been ignoring that advice in hopes I could keep that one habit as my naughty pleasure...LOL.

But yes, I love taking hot baths. I despise taking baths and showers in luke warm water, I really do. I like to get the water so hot I have to slowly step in and adjust to the water. I don't always do this, probably once or twice a week.

You really think that might be it?

I guess I will try (:rant:) to start taking lukewarm showers and baths in hopes to solve this problem. Thanks so much for bringing that up, I guess I will have to let you know how I look after using lukewarm for a while.

well you know years ago, I used to have boiling like i had red socks and scold mark hot baths and I also washed my hair in hot water, my hair was always getting greasy and would break at the drop of a hat. I then read that hot water can cause damage and greasy hair. I still love a pipping hot bath, the kind that makes you want to pass out when you stand up! but I always wash my hair in lukewarm water and rinse in freezing cold water, not everybodys cup of tea but I now have no breakage and I would class my hair as normal, no more greasies at all. So worth a try!

Yedda
November 23rd, 2009, 08:03 PM
well you know years ago, I used to have boiling like i had red socks and scold mark hot baths and I also washed my hair in hot water, my hair was always getting greasy and would break at the drop of a hat. I then read that hot water can cause damage and greasy hair. I still love a pipping hot bath, the kind that makes you want to pass out when you stand up! but I always wash my hair in lukewarm water and rinse in freezing cold water, not everybodys cup of tea but I now have no breakage and I would class my hair as normal, no more greasies at all. So worth a try!

Yep sounds like me. Well, I've always taken hot baths and never had greasy hair like this, but I guess it's time I get over what used to be and try some lukewarm water. If it helps I'm sure the beautiful hair will be more than worth giving up the steaming water:)

klcqtee
November 23rd, 2009, 09:22 PM
Hm, you could try a CWC...without the final condition. Maybe if you just apply Conditioner to the length, then shampoo your scalp and length (with the conditioner still on), then rinse, you'll protect your length from how harsh shampoo can be, and you'll be mostly grease free?

jojo
November 24th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Yep sounds like me. Well, I've always taken hot baths and never had greasy hair like this, but I guess it's time I get over what used to be and try some lukewarm water. If it helps I'm sure the beautiful hair will be more than worth giving up the steaming water:)
It will also take a week or so for your hair to adjust, try and wash your hair just twice this week, sure it will resemble an oil sleek but just put it up and ignore it. On week 2 try and see how it goes on with just one wash, try not to massage the scalp too hard either as this stimulates the scalp to produce oil. You will get there and breakage and greasies will be a thing of the past!