PDA

View Full Version : guilt free straightening hair method

rach
March 22nd, 2009, 03:07 PM
i've recently come across this method and simplified it for straightening hair and it works really well even add's bounce to it.
start off with damp hair a run some water through you hair with you fingers (helps hold the hair together)
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu32/rachelheales/hair/1.jpghttp://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu32/rachelheales/hair/2.jpghttp://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu32/rachelheales/hair/3.jpghttp://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu32/rachelheales/hair/4.jpghttp://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu32/rachelheales/hair/5.jpghttp://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu32/rachelheales/hair/6.jpghttp://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu32/rachelheales/hair/7.jpghttp://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu32/rachelheales/hair/8.jpg don't fiddle with the swirl (even hold it down) just mostly concentrate on the edges and brush and brush the hair in and it will hold it's self. Then put your hair in a hair-net or a silk type scarf to stop bits esaping when its drying. leave it till dry or even leave it on till morning and you've set you hair till next wash.
i have wavy hair and this method i have found secures even the front bags (i think they're called) without waves returning within hours like it used to with straighteners .
take note this has taken over a month to get right and used to, but defanly been worth the practice.
pins in my opinion have ruined my attempts and have added kinks, so for me it's been easier to not use them but it's essential to keep it still with hair net when drying.

don't know how aware people are here of hair wrapping so i thought i'd share this with you guys anyway........................ :p

Heidi_234
March 22nd, 2009, 03:38 PM
I tried it, it made my roots/scalp ache where the hair was going against its natural direction. I've been eying this hair wrap thing for a while now, but it's alot harder to do on long hair, it takes ages to dry, and also the scalp ache thing.
Did you experience any of these problems?

spidermom
March 22nd, 2009, 03:39 PM
Best pictures of the method I've seen; thank you for sharing. Us long-term LHCers have seen more than a few threads about this hair-straightening method over the years, so don't be too surprised if you don't get a lot of comment.

rach
March 22nd, 2009, 03:55 PM
I tried it, it made my roots/scalp ache where the hair was going against its natural direction. I've been eying this hair wrap thing for a while now, but it's alot harder to do on long hair, it takes ages to dry, and also the scalp ache thing.
Did you experience any of these problems?
i've recently changed my hair parting to the side which i probrably should have mentioned (suits my henna hair colour somehow) which probably helps the direction thing, aches with central parting.
my comb is very bunted and actually quite massaging and my brush is "tangle teezer" brush which is very gentle and effective. i wouldn't dare use a normal bush, it would get in a mess and would rip my hair apart. as for length don't think it matters unless you've got supper thick hair where you might look mushroomy, just keep brushing round and round. i don't get scalp ache though this way just disorientation on ahhh, where's my hair gone :p

yeah, takes ages for it to dry probably 6+ hours with my hair.

manderly
March 22nd, 2009, 04:25 PM
Can we see before and after photos? :)

I agree with spidermom, we've seen lots of these, but your photos are the best so far :D

littlebabywulf
March 22nd, 2009, 04:29 PM
I think it sounds cool, but I just can't fathom my hair ever drying if I did something like that to it. If I left it like that for a couple of days, maybe, but that's not going to happen. :-p

My guilt free method is to take super good care of my hair 99% of the time. And, at most, once a week use a Sedu straightener on the lowest heat setting with a good protectant in my hair.

6 months ago my hair was virgin hair. I got it cut to where it was virgin hair. And 6 months later it's not virgin hair anymore, but it looks and feels like it is.

rach
March 22nd, 2009, 04:32 PM
i'll post pic of my hair when naturally dried and a pic of this one wrapped dried tomorrow morning :)

Roseate
March 22nd, 2009, 04:40 PM
I think it sounds cool, but I just can't fathom my hair ever drying if I did something like that to it. If I left it like that for a couple of days, maybe, but that's not going to happen. :-p

I feel the same way about these hair-wrap things. My hair won't completely dry overnight just loose, so I'm sure it wouldn't dry all wrapped up like that. It would be great to have a heat-free straightening method, but I don't think this would work for me.

ETA: and why is that, anyway? The OP has ii/iii hair, so it's not like her hair is that much thinner than mine. Maybe I'll start a thread, I've always been puzzled as to why some people's hair dries so much faster than others.

Copasetic
March 22nd, 2009, 04:51 PM
I have tried this before, but it has never worked for me, because my hair finds a way to escape. I never thought to use a scarf to hold it in. I will have to give that a shot sometime :)

jessie58
March 22nd, 2009, 05:10 PM
I recently saw a video about hair wrapping. The video maker started with dry hair and sprayed it with a little oil and then proceeded to smooth it out like these photos and then wrap with saran wrap. A little heat or longer with no heat and then it came out nice and straight and smooth.

jessie58
March 22nd, 2009, 05:11 PM
I forgot to add, great photos and could you post an after pic please? :blossom:

long.again
March 22nd, 2009, 06:29 PM
and why is that, anyway? The OP has ii/iii hair, so it's not like her hair is that much thinner than mine. Maybe I'll start a thread, I've always been puzzled as to why some people's hair dries so much faster than others.

Could it be from porousness? Some people's hair dries faster because it absorbs less water (not porous hair). Other peoples dries quicker because it is porous, allowing the water to escape quickly.

And rach, great post. I've actually never seen this method. I don't have long enough hair for it. What does your left side look like when dry though? Since you comb that side all forward? Does it have more body than the right side?

tsenglish@ns.sy
March 22nd, 2009, 07:11 PM
Hair wrapping is very common among African American women. A friend of mine does this every night to her dry hair to keep it straight while she sleeps.

Heavenly Locks
March 22nd, 2009, 09:56 PM
I bet it would be nice to do this technique and then sit under a gentle dryer hood :) Especially for those with super long hair that takes days to dry.

RancheroTheBee
March 22nd, 2009, 11:20 PM
I'll have to agree that this is least confusing hair-wrapping tutorial I've ever seen. Other ones have just been quite unclear. Haha, when my hair is long enough, I can't wait to try it!

Aditi
March 23rd, 2009, 12:40 AM
Great photos and you explained it so nicely, i have seen a video of it but it was not upto the mark.

rach
March 23rd, 2009, 03:33 AM
the saran wrap with a bit of oil and blow drying didn't work on me, think my hair is too thick to do it with.
before pics-
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu32/rachelheales/hair/1sthenna8hrs.jpghttp://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu32/rachelheales/hair/SDC11099.jpg (i've used coconut oil to calm my hair down in these)
after pics-
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu32/rachelheales/hair/straight.jpghttp://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu32/rachelheales/hair/staright2.jpg

best of both worlds :p waves and straight

jessie58
March 23rd, 2009, 08:34 AM
Beautiful hair!!!:bigeyes: Beautiful results too. :)

mugglemomof3
March 23rd, 2009, 09:21 AM
Those were great instruction photos. Well done you!

I've done this before, but with the saran wrap. My hair was still a bit wet the next morning but it was still tons straighter than usual.

I want to try it again with a silk strip of material to use as a "turban" of sorts.

How do you secure the ends? (I may have missed that - I'll go back and read)

justgreen
March 23rd, 2009, 09:32 AM
A good friend of mine in HS had to do this everytime she washed her hair. It was very thin and slightly wavy. Back then, stick straight hair was the rage (back in the ice age, you know), and this made her hair straighten out quite a bit and look much thicker.

I think we have a thread on this too over at the archives , but no pics. Thanks for the pics!

BAck in same ice age, I would gather all my hair n top of my head with a rubber band (just wait!), then tie it tight with a ribbon, cut the rubber band off , then use four large rollers the size of large orange juice cans. I'm glad I've divised a much easier way to get the same hair now. :agree: Without rollers or bobby pins, thank goodness.

rach
March 23rd, 2009, 10:35 AM
i use a moment a bright "orange"silk scarf - very trendy looking, i'm sure (it doesn't catch or rub the hair and allows it to dry) then when i undo it my hair falls down everywhere but straight when it's dry. rollers and pins i couldn't cope with in bed sorry, scarf on my heads my limit and it don't give my neck ache. no other time i have to do my hair but a night. kids / school run ect rather occupies the rest of the day and night's best to loose my dignity anyway with only your husband looking at you oddly :p

note to self - must find a smaller scarf and preferably a less garish colour

KajiKodomo
March 23rd, 2009, 11:27 AM
Your hair is beautiful, both wavy and straight. And you get wonderful results! :D

Presto
March 23rd, 2009, 12:29 PM
Wow! I long ago vowed to never use a heat method to straighten my hair, now I wonder how well this would work for me?
I have 3a hair, a good deal curlier than the OP. This looks like it may work best on wavies, but I think I will try it someday.
I need a scarf! :D

rach
March 23rd, 2009, 01:08 PM
have a good brush. "tangle teazser" or i used to use a "dog brush":puppy: , don't laugh . so it smooths it flat against you head. couldn't find the brush i wanted on the shelves so had to look else where . :o

Presto
April 20th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I tried this today! I wrapped it after my shower, but couldn't get it to lie in an orderly, presentable for work fashion, so I did wind up twisting part of it and sticking some flower pins in it. It was cute, if a little odd. The twist put a bit of wave in, and I found one area on the back of my head that didn't get straightened much at all.
It was still slightly damp 7 hours after my morning shower. :lol:
I took it down, and my DH drooled!
I think it took me from a 3a to a 1c/2a, somewhere in there.
When I get home this evening I will take "after" pics and post them here. I already have some pics of how I wore it to work, just need to upload them. :)

I have to say, my bad ends hide a lot better in ringlets!

JKRBeloved
April 20th, 2009, 05:30 PM
That's lovely! I definitely will trying it.

Hekuro
April 28th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Alright, I feel like a doofus, but I cannot figure this hair wrapping thing out. I'm on a trip out of the country, so I figured I'd use the time away from my bf to try it out. But after 40 minutes of trying, I just ended up with a bunch of knots and mats in my hair. To top it all off, the high speed internet promised by the hotel isn't so high speed after all. So I can't watch any videos on youtube or anything.

Any chance anyone could explain the process in words? It looks like I part my hair slightly off center. Then, brush one side around, gather all the hair together. Then somehow I'm supposed to magically take the hair that was laying flat on my head and brush it so it's laying flat in the opposite direction? All while keeping the hair spiraling around a center point near the top back of my head?

That part where the hair is supposed to wrap in a nice spiral is exactly where mine turned into a giant knot.

I'm sorry to be so slow with all this...I really appreciate any help.

Thanks guys!

Hekuro

elliebean184
April 28th, 2009, 10:04 PM
My Mom taught me this when I was sick of my curly hair- it really works for me! Though I use giant bobby pins, spaced about 2" apart.
Actually, it never occurred to me what went on with the spiraly bit- it always looked fine after I pulled it out. hmmmm....

SleepySin
April 28th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Your hair looks beautiful! My hair already dried after my shower - I suppose I'll have to try this tomorrow or the night after. Very curious.. :)

By the way. do you think it matters what type of material the scarf is made of? I tend to stay away from silk so I suppose any smooth fabric that breathes should be okay?

DARtheSTAR
April 28th, 2009, 11:41 PM
I can't wait to try this!! Thanks so much for the instructions :)

LadyEliza
April 28th, 2009, 11:59 PM
ETA: and why is that, anyway? The OP has ii/iii hair, so it's not like her hair is that much thinner than mine. Maybe I'll start a thread, I've always been puzzled as to why some people's hair dries so much faster than others.

Could be where you live. I'm in Brisbane, which is hot. You would think that hair would dry rather quickly, but some days are very humid, and it takes longer to dry then.

Heidi_234
April 29th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Alright, I feel like a doofus, but I cannot figure this hair wrapping thing out. I'm on a trip out of the country, so I figured I'd use the time away from my bf to try it out. But after 40 minutes of trying, I just ended up with a bunch of knots and mats in my hair. To top it all off, the high speed internet promised by the hotel isn't so high speed after all. So I can't watch any videos on youtube or anything.

Any chance anyone could explain the process in words? It looks like I part my hair slightly off center. Then, brush one side around, gather all the hair together. Then somehow I'm supposed to magically take the hair that was laying flat on my head and brush it so it's laying flat in the opposite direction? All while keeping the hair spiraling around a center point near the top back of my head?

That part where the hair is supposed to wrap in a nice spiral is exactly where mine turned into a giant knot.

I'm sorry to be so slow with all this...I really appreciate any help.

Thanks guys!

Hekuro
Don't feel bad, I tried to wrap my hair for good 2 hours with no success and bunch of tangles, knots and mats. Probably never again.
I'm not sure how it suppose to work on thick long hair, when I wrap mine, no matter how careful I am, some hair comes up and out in the crown area when I get to this moment:
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu32/rachelheales/hair/4.jpg
The center part you see here, my hair just rises up all around it:
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu32/rachelheales/hair/7.jpg
There's not enough room for all the hair around the head, I just can't keep it contained. It does feel like there's some amount of hair that's too much, there's no room for it.
:shrug:
I decided to let it go. I'm semi-'straightening' my length by air drying it in a chinese bun or spidermoms bun. Much easier and knot free. :shrug:

adventuring
April 29th, 2009, 03:25 AM
This looks pretty nifty, but my hair tends to dry greasy if I leave it wet/damp for too long, so I'm a bit reluctant to try it. Your results look terrific, though!

SleepySin
April 29th, 2009, 08:06 AM
I stayed up fiddling around with this method after all and watched Mulan II on the internet into the wee hours of the morning while it dried. The scarf I chose did not stay on my head through what ever little sleep I did get but my hair is much straighter than before. It even straightened out my front hairs that are usually quite wavy.

I'll definitely be doing this again! The combing part is just really awkward and took me quite a while to figure out :)

Periwinkle
April 29th, 2009, 01:54 PM
I'm totally lost. How have you done that? How on earth is it staying up? How do you wrap it like that? :shrug:

xoLegallyAubrey
April 29th, 2009, 02:02 PM
This is beautiful. I have to try this!! Do you use anything special to prep your hair with?

Michele
April 29th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I've tried this for about ten times now, and it does get somewhat easier, but i still think it's rather hard to do :D. Especially the crown area.

I did find out some things that work better for me:

- Some youtube tutorials on wrapping suggest using saran wrap to wrap your hair, i tried this the first time. But of course, like i could've expected: my hair was still wet in the morning. So a breathing scarf is really the way to go.

- I have straight blunt bangs and when they come out of the wrap, they lay reaaally flat against my forehead. :mad: So the last two times i wrapped my hair starting off with putting a roller in my wet bangs and THEN started to wrap the rest of my hair around my head. This made them exactly how i would wear them normally :).

- Another issue i stumbled upon was that i'm doing CO and i have very fine and thin hair, so it's really important to use a conditioner that doesn't weigh your hair down too much, otherwise your hair will be very flat.

- Make sure your scarf fits securely and tight around your head, i woke up one morning with the scarf being next to my bed and my hair being a mess :o

Hekuro
April 29th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Don't feel bad, I tried to wrap my hair for good 2 hours with no success and bunch of tangles, knots and mats. Probably never again.
I'm not sure how it suppose to work on thick long hair, when I wrap mine, no matter how careful I am, some hair comes up and out in the crown area when I get to this moment:
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu32/rachelheales/hair/4.jpg

Yup, that's exactly it! My hair goes all crazy and knotted and falling out around the crown. I'm glad I'm not the only one. But I'm bound and determined to figure this out. My hair will hold in whatever position I dry it in, so I know it'll take my curls to straight locks if I can just get it to work...

I did look at the Chinese bun and spidermom's bun. To be honest, I think I'm a bit of an updo idiot...couldn't figure out spidermom's at all. And I don't really have hair toys yet, so my one hairstick is way too short for a Chinese bun. But I'll give it a try in the future.

I tried the wrap again tonight, and just ignored the mess at the crown. I got it all wrapped, I'm sure there are knots at the crown and it will dry in crazy kinks, but hopefully the rest will be ok. I don't have a scarf, so I'm just using a hair net. Have the feeling this is going to come unraveled when I lay down for sleep. Oh well.

So, I have another question. When I get a scarf, how do I tie it? I've never figured out how to get a scarf (let alone a silk one) to stay in my hair.

Heh, I will figure this out. I'll definitely watch some youtube vids once I'm back in the country this weekend and have high speed again. In the meantime, thanks for the help!

~Hekuro

Mary <><
April 29th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I have been meaning to post on this thread for a while now, but I was hoping to get some good pics of it first, which hasn't happened yet. Anyway, this technique has really worked well for me, though I haven't been able to get it too look quite as smooth as yours when it is all combed against my head. I have been using a t-shirt for securing it. Thanks so much for posting this technique!

GlassEyes
April 29th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Are the issues people having because of layers, maybe?

I know that's one reason it wouldn't work for me; I'd need bobby pins EVERYWHERE for it to work properly.

jessie58
April 29th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Are the issues people having because of layers, maybe?

I know that's one reason it wouldn't work for me; I'd need bobby pins EVERYWHERE for it to work properly.

I was thinking about layers being an issue too. I would still like to try this method but I forsee a lot of frustration and fighting with my hair, lol.

Presto
April 29th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Okay, my lazy butt got up and linked some pictures in here. I didn't have a spectacular success, but I'm quite curly, and put a twist in mine so it looked alright to wear to work for the drying period.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d83/rholt3224/0420091302.jpg
In this one you can see that it fell out and I put it up without taking enough care to recomb. Oops, "permed" in curls!
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d83/rholt3224/0420091304.jpg
And the results:
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d83/rholt3224/0420091849a.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d83/rholt3224/0420091849.jpg

Conclusion in my blog was that I had lost an entire number category and dropped from a 3a to a 2a.
I had no idea what to do with it! It was freaking me out just a little. DH was wowed at first, but then decided it had taken me from his fabulous wife to someone with ordinary hair. :D I laughed. He's mentioned liking straight hair, but I think he's gotten used to my wild curliness. :)

Starr
April 30th, 2009, 01:04 AM
I've wrapped my hair before with some fairly decent success in the past but now my hair is much too long and takes entirely too long to dry.

Nera
April 30th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Wow. That looks really great! Unfortunately my hair can't be combed that easily.

SleepySin
May 2nd, 2009, 11:15 PM
Eek. The first time I tried this a few days ago, it went pretty well. The second and third times I tried it.. just got progressively worse.. lol

I seem to be encountering this problem where I can't comb all the hairs in the right direction to set. The outcome of not combing it 'correctly' (my hair is split a little over from the center but not quite side split) is that one side of the split line will veer towards the wrong direction and not lay as it should. I'll try to take pictures next time.

For tonight, I'm doing a variation where I'm not trying to straighten it. Rather, my hair is being pulled to the side and twisting across the top of my head.

Can't wait to see what weirdness presents itself it the mirror in the morning :)

shaybabe8604
May 4th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Interesting.... I used to wrap my hair every night to keep it straight and protected under a silk scarf when I was using relaxers. I'm interested to see if it will work on my natural hair texture when it's long enough.

hennaphile
May 8th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Nice!

I find that after washing out oil, my hair gets straight. *shrug*

wintersun99
May 8th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I have read about "wrapping" here, but never had the visual before - thank you so much - that is very cool and to see in photo.

Tangles
May 8th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I've tried this a few times. Once, my hair came out 1B straight, the other times it was more 1C, but it does work. An interesting effect of wrapping is that it seems to make my hair stay nice for a few days; with a similar effect to curling overnight.

Also, I get amazing volume with this, as if I'd blow dried.

enfys
May 10th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I don't need this technique myself, but I have some friends who may be interested. Best descriptions I've seen.

If it's any help I did an article on how to tie a scarf on your hair like a WWII style turban- it's what I use when sleeping in pincurls to get hair like you're trying to straighten out!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=126

Hekuro
May 11th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Sweet, thanks enfys for the turban article link. I think that's perfect. My last attempt was a disaster, my hair looked worse than ever. I suspect that the hair net didn't keep it tight enough, so it was able to kink up like always, but i lost the few nice spirals and waves that I get from leaving it alone...worst of both worlds, haha. I'll give it another try sometime where I don't care what I look like the next day.

~Hekuro

Furiana
May 22nd, 2009, 02:04 PM
I just gave this a try! While it straightened my hair, I actually prefer my hair wavy.

Pics link to my album. :)

My usual hair:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=39714&albumid=2963&dl=1242954236&thumb=1 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2963&pictureid=39714) http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=39713&albumid=2963&dl=1242954236&thumb=1 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2963&pictureid=39713)

And my hair after straightening:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=39741&albumid=2963&dl=1243022507&thumb=1 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2963&pictureid=39741) http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=39740&albumid=2963&dl=1243022507&thumb=1 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2963&pictureid=39740)

redneckprincess
May 22nd, 2009, 02:14 PM
and if your hair is not that long????? ♥

Nightshade
May 22nd, 2009, 02:42 PM
I get my hair stupidly straight with a wrap bun :)

Delilah
May 22nd, 2009, 04:36 PM
My hair is so straight, a wrap bun gives me waves.

Laurenji
May 23rd, 2009, 01:19 AM

Hahaha! My hair isn't quite long enough for a wrap bun yet, but I'm sure this would happen to me, too.

Funny thing is, all my life I've always wanted wavy/curly hair, and spent forever trying to figure out how to get it to curl. I guess we always want what we don't have. :p

Heidi_234
May 23rd, 2009, 01:42 AM
I get my hair stupidly straight with a wrap bun :)

That's too funny :rollin:

tigerlily896
June 3rd, 2009, 11:12 PM
I just want to say thank you for this tutorial on this technique. I think this has freed me from my flat iron. It doesn't get my hair quite as stick straight, but it looks more natural with still some wave however it is very smooth, and I can already feel my hair being softer from not using my flat iron on a weekly basis anymore. Thank you, thank you a million times over!

rach
June 4th, 2009, 05:21 AM
problem i've got now is i'm actually liking my waves now since it's become healthier looking. lol
so i haven't done this for a little while now. but it's there as a method if i fancy a change of scene :D

curls2grow
June 4th, 2009, 05:42 AM
A good friend of mine in HS had to do this everytime she washed her hair. It was very thin and slightly wavy. Back then, stick straight hair was the rage (back in the ice age, you know), and this made her hair straighten out quite a bit and look much thicker.Funny that you mention this. DS is in HS now and I see that soooo many of the girls still wear this same hairstyle. Stick straight, center part (or maybe side part for flair)... The more things change the more they stay the same. ;)

bambiieyz
June 4th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Wow! What a cool idea! I will try this method of straightening my naturally curly hair!

Merewen
June 4th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I'm quite fond of my curls and have been plopping. But this could be fun to try. A little variety.
At the very least it should amuse my family. T-shirts wrapped on my head apparently resemble underwear...

nowxisxforever
August 3rd, 2009, 03:50 PM
My hair is incredibly angry with me now after even trying to wrap it in this.

I think my hair is way too long, and it just does NOT work. I get the nastiest tangles if I manipulate my hair at all while it's wet or damp, which is not conducive to wrapping like this if I have to stop to detangle (and ruin the little bit of progress) every two seconds.

heatherdazy
August 3rd, 2009, 04:43 PM
Could you wrap it while it's dry, then use a spray bottle to re-wet it, then let it dry?

Heidi_234
August 4th, 2009, 01:50 AM
My hair is incredibly angry with me now after even trying to wrap it in this.

I think my hair is way too long, and it just does NOT work. I get the nastiest tangles if I manipulate my hair at all while it's wet or damp, which is not conducive to wrapping like this if I have to stop to detangle (and ruin the little bit of progress) every two seconds.
You're not the only one. I think after certain length (a variable that depends on thickness) this wrap is pretty impossible. Also, I'm not sure if that's your case too, but wrapping made my hair as frizzy as it was straight. Everytime I do it (or try to air dry my hair straight in other ways) I end up regretting it.

Vermelha
August 4th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Cool! I grew up doing that! It's the best method of maintaining straight hair at night...But it does cause thinning over time if done the same direction over and over...I do this to keep my flat ironed hair fresh and smooth with a tad bit of oil.

InTheCity
September 3rd, 2009, 01:41 PM
I haven't seen my hair straight since Christmas, this is great!

I saw this thread a while back and was way to unconfidant to try it. I'm updo-challenged. But for some reason after I CO'ed last night, I decided to try this.

I parted to the side, combed hair over my head, grabbed a little more and more still, combing as I went. I got my hair all wrapped and tied a piece of fabric around it. The other part, which I believe made it a succesm was putting a tight fitting wig cap on top. I slept like that and couldn't wait to see the result.

It worked! I have not see my hair straight since the last time I used heat on it - Christmas - prior to my LHC "schooling."

I'm very happy with these results and wanted to thank the OP. :cheese:

DBF wouldn't have seen until tonight, except I had to pick him up midday after a motorcycle accident (He's okay, the bike is so-so....) but before he took off his torn and bloodied clothing, he told me my hair looked amazing! :D and that he hasn't seen it like that in forever. He also commented about its lenght. Woo hoo!

rach
September 3rd, 2009, 01:52 PM
I haven't seen my hair straight since Christmas, this is great!

I saw this thread a while back and was way to unconfidant to try it. I'm updo-challenged. But for some reason after I CO'ed last night, I decided to try this.

I parted to the side, combed hair over my head, grabbed a little more and more still, combing as I went. I got my hair all wrapped and tied a piece of fabric around it. The other part, which I believe made it a succesm was putting a tight fitting wig cap on top. I slept like that and couldn't wait to see the result.

It worked! I have not see my hair straight since the last time I used heat on it - Christmas - prior to my LHC "schooling."

I'm very happy with these results and wanted to thank the OP. :cheese:

DBF wouldn't have seen until tonight, except I had to pick him up midday after a motorcycle accident (He's okay, the bike is so-so....) but before he took off his torn and bloodied clothing, he told me my hair looked amazing! :D and that he hasn't seen it like that in forever. He also commented about its lenght. Woo hoo!

:flowers: i'm pleased it's worked for you.

your poor DBF , lease you came and brought a shin to the day.

this method has kept me from temptation and i actually prefer it, as it has those nice flicks which go in the right directions. it's rather cazy when it all fully dry at like 3/4am in the morning and falls down past the scarf but it's so smooth because it's layed along itself.

updated pics-
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu32/rachelheales/hair/hairy.jpghttp://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu32/rachelheales/hair/SDC13611-1.jpg
first picture was taken couple days after i did it. second picture was 12 hours after it dried.

LHktress
November 8th, 2009, 11:34 AM
I tried this and it works so well! My 2c hair ended up straight-ish, with a few big waves and LOTS of volume. It looks very glamorous!

Thank you so much for posting this!!

MaryO
April 5th, 2013, 04:32 AM
Very interesting!

jacqueline101
April 5th, 2013, 06:21 AM
It's lovely thanks for sharing.

DarkCurls
April 5th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Ugh, I remember trying this a couple times, but I always ended up with tangles and I couldn't get it to lie smooth around my head. ^^ Too bad. I love my texture, but sometimes a change is nice. No biggie, I suppose.

This is an old thread, but I have to say this anyway -- the pictures are stunning. :)

Helenae
April 5th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Hmmm. I've seen this method on youtube a couple of times & I'm very curious about it. Now that it has the stamp of approval here too, I might give it a shot. My question is though... Does it make the roots of your hair go flat? I have very big hair & I actually like having a lot of volume at the roots. I can imagine drying my hair like this would pull down the root and make it flat (so that I'd end up looking like a triangle with flat roots and big hair everywhere else LOL). Could anyone who has done this method let me know if that's the case?

Nicolette21
June 30th, 2015, 06:29 AM
I will admit I was a bit nervous about trying this since I'm African American and my hair has a way of escaping but I remembered that I have a scarf and decided to give it a try. Now its morning and I took my scarf off and not one single strand of hair came loose!! My hair hasn't dried compleatly so I'm letting it air dry before going over it with cool - medium heat!

Thanks for the thread!!! :o

alexis917
June 30th, 2015, 08:40 AM
For those with hair too short to get a good "swirl" going....my "technique": fresh out of the shower, use a Wet Brush to detangle after coating your hair in leave-in conditioner. Now headbang and brush your hair again. If you get any tangles, apply more leave-in. Continue to headbang. Once your hair is damp, not soaked, just give it the occasional brush while you wait for it to dry. I brush all of my hair back so it dries with more volume. My hair drinks up product, so I dont know how well this would work on finer hair.