PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about Rag Curls

PhillyGirl1978@
November 22nd, 2009, 10:39 AM
I have plenty of old t-shirts to make them but I never did. Obviously I already have curly hair, I was just hoping if I did this they would dry a little looser then normal, maybe a little more uniform and clumpy. Do you twist the hair first then curl it as far as you want it to go and then tie it or do you wrap the hair around for spiral type curls? Or do both of these options give good results. Anybody have any "best practices" they can share, I'm really curious as I would be able to sleep on these too. I know when I was younger I did sometimes use hug rollers (not comfy) in my damp, detangled hair and it would be way less tightly curled when it dried.

Stephichan
November 22nd, 2009, 10:43 AM
I've been wanting to try rag curls for a while, but haven't gotten around to it. I'll be watching this.

Tressie
November 22nd, 2009, 11:08 AM
I'll be watching this thread too! Okay experts, let's hear your advice on rag rolling long hair!! Thanks for starting this!

PhillyGirl1978@
November 22nd, 2009, 12:19 PM
I'm already searching my house for really old stuff to use...I know I have some. I know over on the curly hair boards they talk about clipping the ends of your damp curls to weight them down a little as they dry so they loosen a little. I'm thinking the rag curls may help with that keeping it from shrinking up so much as it dries but also getting a little uniformity in my curls.

PhillyGirl1978@
November 23rd, 2009, 05:02 AM
Is there any difference between using raga and using those curl formers things? Mine hair will need to be just slightly damp cause otherwise the whole process will take a few days...my hair takes forever to dry, especially when it is up in some way.

Dolly
November 23rd, 2009, 05:56 AM
Is there any difference between using raga and using those curl formers things? Mine hair will need to be just slightly damp cause otherwise the whole process will take a few days...my hair takes forever to dry, especially when it is up in some way.

I have used the Wrap Snap and Go Curlers from Walgreens, which are just a glorified rag roller, but a little easier to use....
http://www.walgreens.com/store/catalog/Hair-Accessories/Comfort-Hair-Rollers/ID=prod950800&navCount=0&navAction=push-product

They create really gorgeous spiral curls....and yeah, make sure your hair is barely damp.....I don't twist the hair first.....my siggy pic is after I separated the curls and fluffed them out.....you can check out my album for pics of how they look right after I remove the rollers....

skydancer7
November 23rd, 2009, 06:39 AM
You all probably already know this, but:

Don't brush your hair after you take out the rags!!

My sister and I tried rag curls when we were 6 and 8 respectively. We didn't know you are not supposed to brush out curls (neither did our mother). We had to go to school with poofy white girl 'fros. I still remember the look on my teacher's face :) I guess that made the whole experience worth it, to tell ya the truth!

SurprisingWoman
November 23rd, 2009, 09:48 AM
I just tried rag curls and maybe the mistake I made was finger combing them. Yikes!

I didn't use product, I didn't twist, I did use papers on the ends to keep them from crimping.

I had cut a tshirt into long strips (12'ish inches?) and then rolled the hair with end papers around the fabric. When they were curled to about neck level I tied them once (making sure to do the tie part in the same direction as the hair, if that makes sense) and the off to sleep. The next day they were still a bit damp so I left them in until about 2.

I think maybe larger amounts, fewer curls, might have been better. My hair did NOT care for this at all and it felt heat fried after. Someone suggested maybe using some oil and I might try that if I ever decide to try it again.

I am not a curly but maybe my experience will help you.

PhillyGirl1978@
November 23rd, 2009, 04:57 PM
You all probably already know this, but:

Don't brush your hair after you take out the rags!!

My sister and I tried rag curls when we were 6 and 8 respectively. We didn't know you are not supposed to brush out curls (neither did our mother). We had to go to school with poofy white girl 'fros. I still remember the look on my teacher's face :) I guess that made the whole experience worth it, to tell ya the truth!

LOL...I can imagine! That would be my reason for not combing when dry and I never brush..if I did..certainly not when dry!lol Ok, so I guess I'd better get the t-shirt and experiment...it sounds interesting.

klcqtee
November 23rd, 2009, 05:37 PM
Oh, please post pictures! I'd love to see what it does to your lovely curls, as opposed to straight hair.

PhillyGirl1978@
November 23rd, 2009, 06:33 PM
Oh, please post pictures! I'd love to see what it does to your lovely curls, as opposed to straight hair.

I'm guessing you didn't mean me right....I have a head full of curls.lol I was really only interested in this to maybe loosen the ones that I have and may them more uniform.

piratejenny23
November 23rd, 2009, 07:12 PM
#1: definitely do not twist your locks of hair; you want to smooth the lock and then wrap it, like a ribbon around a pencil.

#2: i use "end papers" made of large squares of cloth (7x7"). IMO it makes a smoother curl and it's much easier to wrap up, esp. if you have layers.

#3 if you cut wide rags, you can roll them lengthwise, into a round core, before you wrap. this will help make looser, rounder curls than if you just wrap your hair around a bunched-up rag (which can result in the crumpled ends).

here's my "two-piece" method:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4334

i use perm rods inside my rags. okay to sleep in if you make a high ponytail first, and cool because they come in different thicknesses!

on my first attempt at rag curls, i used a ripped-up sheet, and i got very tight spirals. if i use a wide, rolled-up piece of flannel or the perm-rod-rags, i get looser spirals. i tried sponge rollers instead of perm rods but that didn't work.

damp hair may work for you, but i have read/experienced that starting with completely dry hair gives the best results. if i even mousse/gel my dry hair, i have to let that dry too! it's so disappointing to unwrap your rags and have the curls go limp because they're still damp.

have fun!

PhillyGirl1978@
November 23rd, 2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks...I read about maybe wrapping the lock around a bigger round object for looser curls, like a small spray bottle or something and then pulling it out and tying the rag. I'm thinking of cutting wide strips of an old t-shirt so I can put the end of the hair in the shirt and fold it,,,then wrap it so I can avoid the weird ends.

Man it would be great if this worked....I have been trying to loosen my curls for the longest time... and if I can do it without damage...that'd be great!

Fairlight63
November 23rd, 2009, 07:53 PM
On You Tube Torrin Paige has a video showing how to do Rag Curls.
www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige#p/u/3/DMqekBNSEYA (http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige#p/u/3/DMqekBNSEYA)

Hope that helps some.

camirra555
November 23rd, 2009, 09:25 PM
I'm another curly who wants to try this, let me know how it works for you

PhillyGirl1978@
November 24th, 2009, 06:19 AM
I may try to do it this weekend. I'll definitely post results.