PDA

View Full Version : UGH!! I hate my BANGS!

camillacamilla
April 23rd, 2008, 08:32 PM
I have a broad forehead and a square jaw, so no bangs isn't an option for me. I had been wearing sideswept bangs, but they got too long (and thick) and were not giving me the forehead coverage I needed. So what did I do? Cut my bangs too short. UGH! My hair now looks like I belong in the early 1990s. They are too short to sweep to the side, and pulling them back exposes the huge forehead I have. Any suggestions other than feeling ugly and hiding for a month or two until they grow out and can be side swept again?:confused:

nienna42
April 23rd, 2008, 08:47 PM
Just how short are they cut? I'm afraid I'm a little young to remember early 90s bangs. ;)

It's been a long time since I had bangs, but I remember sometimes when I wanted to get them out of my face, I'd part them in the middle and clip them back. Sounds a little dorky, but it was actually kinda cute. If you pull them kind of low--so that the clips would be somewhere near your ears--you might still be able to get some forehead coverage. I hope that helps--sounds like your face is shaped rather differently than mine.

spidermom
April 23rd, 2008, 09:24 PM
Do something to create some interest above the bangs. Pull hair up from the sides to the top of your head and clip with pretty clips or a barrette. Use gel and make your bangs piece-y. If you know how to french or dutch braid, make a braid going from above one ear, over the top of your head, and down to the other ear, then clip just behind the ear and leave the ends un-braided. Part your hair on the side and take the bangs over to the side a section at a time and pin with decorated hair pins. (P.S. - I have a broad forehead and square jaw as well, although my face looks more round just now because I'm fat. You can see my profile picture.)

WendyJo
April 23rd, 2008, 09:31 PM
I feel your huge forhead pain ;) I always wear bangs.

When I've cut mine too short (which I often do since I get so frustrated with them when they are too long LOL),I texturize the ends by cutting little v shapes in the end to lighten them up a little. Seems to make mine look better anyway.

CrowningGlory
April 23rd, 2008, 11:46 PM
I have a broad forehead and a square jaw, so no bangs isn't an option for me. I had been wearing sideswept bangs, but they got too long (and thick) and were not giving me the forehead coverage I needed. So what did I do? Cut my bangs too short. UGH! My hair now looks like I belong in the early 1990s. They are too short to sweep to the side, and pulling them back exposes the huge forehead I have. Any suggestions other than feeling ugly and hiding for a month or two until they grow out and can be side swept again?:confused:

I know exactly how you feel. I'm growing out too-short bangs right now. The easiest way I've found to deal with them is to pretend that this is what I wanted! Confidence can be so attractive whereas worrying all the time about looking ugly isn't.

Perhaps wear a little more make-up to draw attention to your eyes and try not to think about the length of your bangs.

Try styling them differently. I sometimes pull mine downwards when they're wet to encourage them to lie flatter thus looking longer. I've been using a bit of hairspray as well just to get them to look reasonable. It's frustrating but it won't last forever!

Although they may take a month or two to grow out, in a week or two they'll be looking better and they'll just keep improving as time goes on.

rubyredslippers
April 24th, 2008, 01:11 AM
I feel your pain! Honestly, I've done this exact same thing (and consequently started growing my bangs out after the incident occurred).

What I did to get through it was use those little butterfly clips or bobby pins or barettes and clip my bangs to the side of my forehead, (half to each side, following the part) or else clip my bangs straight back. Mind you I was pretty young (in grage six) at the time.

Since your face shape is different from mine, maybe this answer won't work for you, but it's worth the try. You can always experiment with leaving some out and putting some up.

Best of luck, and remember, it'll get better by the week!

camillacamilla
April 24th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Maybe since it is spring they will grow a little faster.....hopefully.

Shanarana
April 24th, 2008, 05:10 AM
I cut my own bangs and many times I have cut them to short. Not to much I could do about it but wait until they grew. Do you have curly, wavy hair? I have used a blow dryer (please don't ban me people) to flatten them until they grew out. I don't mind using heat on my bangs because they get cut often enough to where no damage gets a chance to develop.

QueenBea
April 24th, 2008, 05:47 AM
I am growing out bangs; I decided that while the back was at a weird length, at least the front of my hair could look decent :) Now that the back is looking better, I'm growing the bangs out.

I'll be honest, like the PP, I am "abusing" my bangs somewhat. My hair is very wavy and air drying my bangs leads to a giant cowlick---so I clip back my long hair and dry my bangs with a blowdryer AND I smooth them with a straightening iron set on lowest heat (gasp!).

I know I'm tearing them up, but when they hit nose length, I'm going to start blending them with the rest of my hair, so I'm not terribly worried about the damage.

QueenBea

heidihug
April 24th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Yep - I've been there! When I have cut my bangs too short, I have curled them under just a bit with a curling iron and then brushed or combed about half of them back and left half down in a light little fringe on my forehead. Then I hair sprayed them lightly to get them to stay in place - still gives forehead coverage, but softens the shortness of them.