PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible with henna?

Barb
November 21st, 2009, 05:55 PM
So, I've got a henna question ...

Is it possible to extract the dye from the paste/powder and just use that?

Just curious.

Jeni
November 21st, 2009, 06:23 PM
You mean (a) take the color out and just use the color to dye your hair with no conditoning or (b) take the dye out and use henna just for conditioning?

If you mean (a) I have no idea, I'm lost as to why you would want to unless you are one of those people who's hair hates henna but you want the color...?

If you mean (b), no. Your best option is cassia in my opinion.

Barb
November 21st, 2009, 06:33 PM
Ah, let me clarify ... using henna can be time-consuming and really messy, but it's great for the hair and devoid of harmful chemicals. Conventional hair dye is just the opposite---comparatively quick and easy, but bad for hair and loaded with potentially harmful chemicals.

I was wondering if there was a way to sort of extract the natural henna dye from the powdered plant fiber, allowing for a possibly quicker, less messy, way to get henna's benefits. Like getting the best of both worlds.

I'm SO out of practice at posting, so I'm sorry if I sound confusing.

Jeni
November 21st, 2009, 07:14 PM
Its alright, I'm not real sure if I make sense 1/2 the time when I post and I live on the computer!

I have absolutely no idea if it is possible. I kind of think anything is possible provided you have the right technology...It would be wonderful if it was possible, the best of both worlds, but I'd hazard to guess its not possible (or no one has bothered trying?).

Maybe someone that knows a lot more about henna then I do will come around and give you a better answer then "Don't have a clue".

morguebabe
November 21st, 2009, 07:15 PM
I doubt and Im pretty sure extracting it would be messy if at all possible.

Girltron
November 21st, 2009, 09:22 PM
Henna demises. So you'd have to make your extract with water or terpene or a mix, basically like making henna tea, then strain and use the liquid as soon as the dye was released. This is why there are no commercial bottled liquid henna dyes. But it'd need thickening anyway, to avoid dripping, so why not just use paste? Besides, the dye continues to release from the powder while it's applied, so you'd always get milder colors from using the strained liquid. I would consider it a waste of good henna powder.

kimi
November 21st, 2009, 10:42 PM
I've noticed that when very fresh henna is at the point of dye release, there's a very thin, sort of puddly, layer of watery reddish fluid on top of the henna. (Don't know if that description makes sense :shrug: ) I guess if you strained that fluid off and dumped the rest of the henna, you'd have a henna-colored "dye" without the henna. (Now I know that barely makes sense, but it's late on a Saturday night anyway). At any rate, to get that little bit of puddly reddish stuff you'd probably have to waste an awful lot of good henna. But I'm just theorizing, I have absolutely no idea if that would be the case.

Barb
November 22nd, 2009, 07:11 AM
Hmmm, I see your points.

I hadn't considered the demise aspect of henna before, nor that the powder continues to release dye over time. And yes, considering the price of henna, it would be a huge waste.

Oh well, it was a thought, anyway!

jupiterjuniper
November 22nd, 2009, 12:12 PM
I kind of get a kick out of the paste, even thought it is sort of inconvenient. I get to terrorize my kids and tell them it's soup for dinner, and then I get to walk around feeling very regal with my crown of mud.

Heidi_234
November 22nd, 2009, 12:28 PM
I know some members tired henna infusion with very little success. It sounds good in theory, but I can't help thinking that if such thing was possible, then we all already knew about it and used it. Henna been around for a very very long time for something like this go undiscovered.

halo_tightens
November 22nd, 2009, 12:52 PM
Henna been around for a very very long time for something like this go undiscovered.

I agree with this.

If there were a better way to apply and utilize henna, that would quickly have become the traditional and accepted way to do it, I think. Yet people all over the world are still using the powder paste on their hair and skin... To me that means that trial and error has proven it the best method.

Flaxen
November 22nd, 2009, 09:13 PM
Scroll down about halfway on this page (http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/annsophie/) to read about our Fia's gel mixes. They come out similar to a commercial hair dye product...well, as similar as henna is going to be. :lol:

Barb
November 23rd, 2009, 06:26 AM
Scroll down about halfway on this page (http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/annsophie/) to read about our Fia's gel mixes. They come out similar to a commercial hair dye product...well, as similar as henna is going to be. :lol:

OMG! That's it! I was vaguely remembering Fia's experiments, but couldn't remember enough to know that's what I was remembering! (Does that make any sense?) Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction.:cheese:

Flaxen
November 23rd, 2009, 03:25 PM
Oh, I've had plenty of "half remembering" experiences, and then spent hours on Google, let me tell ya! :laugh:

I'm glad I could help you! :cheese: