PDA

View Full Version : Does sleeping affect your hair growth?

Bller
November 21st, 2009, 05:30 AM
I hear that if you sleep longer, the hair grows faster. Anyone else heard of this ? And is it true?

EvaSimone
November 21st, 2009, 05:32 AM
If that was the case I'd have really long hair. :lol: I sleep around 8-10 hours a day.

As it is I grow around 1/2" a month.

I mean sleep is the time when your body restores itself but I personally haven't noticed much difference in growth rate.

Wolfmaid
November 21st, 2009, 05:57 AM
Interesting question. I did not ever think about it. Maybe itīs possible to fasten hairgrowth if you sleep longer.
Has anybody enough time to test it? So, sleep well and happy hairgrowth! ;)

Heidi_234
November 21st, 2009, 06:09 AM
I think it is more likely that constant lack of sleep will negatively influence hair growth, but I doubt more sleeping than usual will boost hair growth. If that's the case, maybe that person ought to sleep more than s/he does.

noelgirl
November 21st, 2009, 07:53 AM
I think it is more likely that constant lack of sleep will negatively influence hair growth, but I doubt more sleeping than usual will boost hair growth. If that's the case, maybe that person ought to sleep more than s/he does.

That's what I think, when you're in good health, your hair will grow its fastest. Anything that detracts from your health, such as poor nutrition or lack of sleep, will detract from your growth rate and hair health.

embee
November 21st, 2009, 08:07 AM
Yes, sleep is important to hair growth, among other health related things! My reading indicates that we're supposed to get 7 - 9 hours of sleep per night, which until recently has been a problem for me. Now I pretty routinely get 8+ hours. I feel better all over, not so tired all the time, more stamina, don't crash as quickly.

My hair has been at terminal growth for some years now, so I've not seen extra growth, but wouldn't lack of sleep or lack of nutrition would retard growth?

GoddesJourney
November 21st, 2009, 08:41 AM
I agree that the lack of sleep would negatively affect growth. Oversleeping might not actually help at all, since part of growth is circulation. I would think that a little scalp massage and a workout would be better after a full night's sleep.

hmmm
November 21st, 2009, 08:55 AM
Maybe if I slept enough, I'd wake up to hair that was longer than when I fell asleep.

:p

Heidi_234
November 21st, 2009, 09:09 AM
Maybe if I slept enough, I'd wake up to hair that was longer than when I fell asleep.

:p
Oh, I just had a lightbulb moment. I can prove that oversleeping doesn't aid hairgrowth: Sleeping Beauty haven't had hair longer than Rapunzel :wigtongue

piratejenny23
November 21st, 2009, 12:29 PM
Oh, I just had a lightbulb moment. I can prove that oversleeping doesn't aid hairgrowth: Sleeping Beauty haven't had hair longer than Rapunzel :wigtongue

true, but what about Rip Van Winkle? :wigtongue
http://www.john-howe.com/portfolio/gallery/data/media/8/037-Rip-Van-Winkle-port.jpg

Heidi_234
November 21st, 2009, 01:12 PM
true, but what about Rip Van Winkle? :wigtongue
http://www.john-howe.com/portfolio/gallery/data/media/8/037-Rip-Van-Winkle-port.jpg
Ahaha :laugh: You smashed my glorious proof to pieces :lol:

jera
November 21st, 2009, 02:34 PM
I hear that if you sleep longer, the hair grows faster. Anyone else heard of this ? And is it true?

If this were true, I'd be Rapunzel because I love to sleep. :D

Getting enough sleep is very important for overall health and I'm sure that would promote healthier hair. :)

I've never heard any myth or old wives tales about sleeping making hair grow longer or faster.

hmmm
November 22nd, 2009, 12:55 AM
Ahaha :laugh: You smashed my glorious proof to pieces :lol:

Take that, unbeliever! :wigtongue :rolling:

Pear Martini
November 22nd, 2009, 01:44 AM
Sleeping for a long period of time definatly speeds up my hair growth downstairs lol

I cant tell if it effects the hair on my head tho

Isa-belle
November 22nd, 2009, 02:20 AM
I hardly ever sleep enough, but my hair grows a steady 2 centimeters (3/4 of an inch) a month :shrug:
So many factors have to be taken into account when it comes to hair growth: genes, diet, activity... Everyone in my family has fast-growing hair, and I eat a very balanced diet (and put lots of grains in my homemade bread). I'm also a hyperactive kind of person, with a rather high metabolism.

Marika
November 22nd, 2009, 08:18 AM
My hairgrowth is pretty average (1/2 inch a month) even though I've been suffering from insomnia for years. My diet is also very poor because I love junk food and hate vegetables. I love sleeping but I hardly ever sleep more than 4 hours a night...:(

Rhiannon7
November 22nd, 2009, 08:40 AM
Maybe this myth came out after someone slept like for weeks or months and noticed hair growth? (sorry about sarcasm. but some myths do make someone become a bit sarcastic.) but anything could be true, i sleep 9-10 hours a day most days for years and don't notice much hair growth acceleration. (but have noticed that when i started to braid my hair at night, i noticed my hair grew a bit faster than the previous year. but it could have also been i was at a stall time when i started to make big changes on my routine. and the changes started the growth again?) who knows for sure? but we can test this. anyone else for spending weeks in bed? sleeping and not honeymooning with hubby of course. :p

Jezerellica
November 22nd, 2009, 09:25 AM
I am going with no. I have the freedom to sleep as much as I want and do exactly that. My hair grows no faster now than when I kept a regular schedule. This is just my experience.

bte
November 22nd, 2009, 09:49 AM
I am sure that if you aren't getting enough sleep, your health and wellbeing will suffer and one of the results might be that your hair does not grow at its ultimate speed.

However, I'm equally sure that sleeping more won't necessarily mean more growth. It would be nice, though, to sleep for five years and end up with a perfect ankle length mane.

kimannabella
November 22nd, 2009, 10:24 AM
I don't know if that's true. But I notice that I shed more when I stressed and having trouble sleeping.

82exoticbeauty
November 22nd, 2009, 03:00 PM
Well. . . it may does, but I don't think it has to do something about it! My hair grows even I sleep 6,7, 8 hours of sleep! if it's only 1-4 hours of sleep, it's lack of growth! But I don't know about 5 hours (haven't experience the 5 yet) since I mostly sleep around sometimes on the 6 hours of sleep, but mostly is 7-7/1/2 hours of sleep! Sometimes 8!