PDA

View Full Version : Winter woes and worries.

Heavenly Locks
November 21st, 2009, 12:58 AM
My hair has been doing pretty great. I can't decide if it likes CO better or the occasional scalp wash...so I've be alternating between the two with pretty decent results.

It's growing (reminds self to do new length shot) and I am pretty sure I'll be able to call it waist length by the end of the year if all goes well.

Thing is, I worry about the weather changing and all the dryness that comes with winter. :( I noticed a lot more shedding recently too...I am self conscious about my hairs thickness too. I don't want to be shedding! Plus, I will feel extra discouraged if my hair stalls for a while.

What do you worry about when winter comes?

Carolyn
November 21st, 2009, 08:20 AM
The wind! Well, it's ALWAYS windy where I live but it's worse in the winter. I'm not outside much so I don't have it as bad as some people. I just go from car to inside a building and scoot as fast as I can. It makes wearing my hair down impossible. Wool sweaters and coats also cause knots and tangles if I dare to wear my hair down or in a ponytail. I should just give in and wear buns or a braid all the time in the winter but I get so tired of that.

GoddesJourney
November 21st, 2009, 08:37 AM
I worry about it being cold and my skin being white. I put on weight in the winter but it's okay, it comes off later. After that, yes, I shed more, too. I find it's from the hot water in the shower. I used hot water in the winter because I'm cold.

RoseRedDead
November 21st, 2009, 09:39 AM
I pretty much wear my hair up 24/7 during winter, because of reasons aforementioned by other posters...

I definitely damp bun freshly washed hair - it works to combat the dryness in the air.

I worry about putting on weight, too... but that's not necessarily hair related.

InTheCity
November 21st, 2009, 04:23 PM
I worry about the exact same things: Dryness/non growth... but seriously worried about shedding and thinness. Three people have just told me my hair looks thin including one today.

We gotta fight it somehow!

Kris Dove
November 21st, 2009, 04:28 PM
I think it sheds a bit more, and there's no sun to naturally lighten it so it always tends to look darker.

On the plus side it doesn't seem to get greasy quite so much as it does in the summer though.

Lamb
November 21st, 2009, 04:38 PM
I'm in the same wind-rocked boat as Carolyn - minus the car, and often minus the public transport. :rolleyes:
We get scary high winds here, and a lot of frost and just generally nasty winter weather. My solution - cover my hair as much as I can, with my snoods, shawls, or hooded shawls. It's still short, but wind is its enemy as it's fine and fragile. I'd rather have flattened than damaged hair.

Carolyn
November 21st, 2009, 04:42 PM
I'd rather have flattened than damaged hair.Me too! The Calorimetries have been a life (hair) saver.

Jessikinz
November 21st, 2009, 07:15 PM
I worry about my hair getting too dry from being outside and with the furnace on inside. But I don't really spend too much time outside. But if I have to leave the house I will try to cover my head as much as I can. I don't have too many hats either. Oh and I oil a lot more in the winter and do a lot of deep treatments.

Carolyn
November 21st, 2009, 07:32 PM
Oh and I oil a lot more in the winter and do a lot of deep treatments.Winter is a great time to get cozy with your heat cap and do lots of SMT's and DTs. Wrap up in a warm robe, load your hair up with good gunk, put on your heat cap and watch the snow swirl outside.

melikai
November 21st, 2009, 07:59 PM
I worry about friction damage from my hair rubbing on the collar of my coat and scarf.
I worry about extra dryness, as my hair is already so very dry, and it can also make my scalp and rest of my skin itchy.

Thinthondiel
November 21st, 2009, 08:08 PM
I don't really worry about the winter at all. It's not like my hair has just suddenly decided to fall off or something during any previous winters. But I figure I might oil a bit more than usual if my hair gets dry, and I'll try not to go outside with wet hair... don't want it to freeze. I've never really noticed any damage from having frozen hair before, though, but that might be because I haven't payed as much attention to my hair before.

Brat
November 21st, 2009, 10:00 PM
I love winter. Well, what winter we get here... But my hair probably doesn't. I tend to flat iron a little more in the winter because I don't have to worry about humidity ruining the style. It's cold so I'm wearing a hoodie outside, protecting it from wind or humidity, so the style lasts much longer! I know it's bad, but I love how silky it is when it's straight. And how much longer it is, and how I can run my fingers through it without them getting stuck!

aisling
November 22nd, 2009, 02:02 AM
I haven't found winter weather to be anything to worry about. Sure, I avoid going out with wet hair because that makes me cold but in general I don't change anything just because it is winter. I wear my hair up mostly when I go out all the year round, I do deep treatments and pamper my ends a little extra when needed anyway.

82exoticbeauty
November 22nd, 2009, 03:09 PM
I don't worry about the winter season woes and worries! Even it's cold, I'm always patient on my hair! I don't fret about it! I live all season's! If there is split ends, I just do S&D, oilings, and washing my hair carefully in the shower, and especially doing my hair in ponytail and putting my hair up! My hair is always on the almost sexy librarian type of hair to almost formal hair, where it's bigger on the back head (like poofy, not too much) when I go out with my boyfriend and when I'm in school. I don't use hairspray on it , I don't use bobby pins, and I don't use the Bump-its! I do my own updo thing in simple easy ways of my unique idea.

Tabitha
November 22nd, 2009, 03:33 PM
My nose going red! at school they used to call me Rudolph :blushing:

Tangles
November 22nd, 2009, 03:34 PM
Yeah, I'm really worried about dryness, because my ends have been getting velcro-y lately, despite copious oiling. I think I need to invest in a creamy conditioner.

JamieLeigh
November 24th, 2009, 09:26 AM
This winter I think I'm going to move my COs to 3 a week instead of 2, so I can soak up some extra moisture. I'd like to think I have a better routine now than I did last year at this time (I think I was still stubbornly coney and in the midst of swapping out to a cone-free CO, no oiling yet), so hopefully I should get good results. It doesn't really get below 35 degrees F here all year long, so I'm thankful I don't have to worry about extreme cold and how my hair would react.

I think my hair grows more slowly in the wintertime, based on this past year's data though. :(

cocolover
November 24th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Tangles and dryness....as it has already started :(

Tressie
November 24th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Tangles, dryness, STATIC...............friction on clothes and coats and scarves. I suppose I'll be a total bun-head this year......but then, I've been a bun-head most of the summer too, due to the heat! sigh! I like high buns for the lift, but it's not easy to wear a hat on a high bun. Now hats are easier with low buns, but then my nape hairs tangle more too! (sigh again) (o:

linda g
November 24th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I like winter better in terms of hair, since less humidity = less crazy frizzypoufness!

JCFantasy23
November 25th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Truth be told this is the first year of me actually taking care of my hair properly, and I can't remember if it sheds more or acts different in the winter. I live in Florida and most of the time we don't get very cold weather here though, and when we do it usually gets sunshine breaks a week or so later. There HAVE been years where it's very cold and windy though.