PDA

View Full Version : I washed my hair today and really want to coconut oil it! (addicted lol)

Pear Martini
November 20th, 2009, 10:00 PM
but then I would end up washing it too much. Ever since I started using coconut oil in my hair, its been in better condition and I love the smell. I dont want to start overwashing it though.

It has been color-treated and the top layer is semi-fryed. I am lucky to have a lot of hair though, so it doesnt look that bad but its still damaged.

I bought my first jar about 6 weeks ago. The AC is off and its already in oil form. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

It doesnt look good when I walk around with my hair greasy either
I am so addicted to coconut oil now. Help!

Pony Girl
November 20th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Ha Ha ! I know what you mean ;) I get a bit like that too.

Cholera
November 20th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Oh, I hear ya. I love the stuff. I mix it half-and-half with jojoba, and my hair is soooooo silky! Even the previously bleached top layer, like yourself. Have fun with it :)

Pear Martini
November 20th, 2009, 10:13 PM
I guess I will put some on lightly.... or should I do a heavy treatment and sleep with a shower cap... NOOOO

I have house guests right now and they have already seen me once with a head full of coconut oil, they might start to think I'm crazy if they see it twice. I guess you cant hide madness for too long.

They are asleep right now tho

Oh, I hear ya. I love the stuff. I mix it half-and-half with jojoba, and my hair is soooooo silky! Even the previously bleached top layer, like yourself. Have fun with it :)

jojoba? Like the hot oil treatments that say "jojoba oil" on them at sallys? Tell me how you do it? Do you apply it hot
?

Cholera
November 20th, 2009, 10:18 PM
jojoba? Like the hot oil treatments that say "jojoba oil" on them at sallys? Tell me how you do it? Do you apply it hot
?
I take 1 ml of coconut, and 1 ml of jojoba (it's just a little bottle of it, not the hot oil or anything, it just says "jojoba oil" on the front. I got it at Trader Joe's, but they have it at Fred Meyer) and mix it together in a little cup, then apply about 3 or 4 drops cold to my damp hair after a shower.

Pear Martini
November 20th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Thank you :)

Darian Moone
November 20th, 2009, 11:58 PM
If you don't over oil your hair you should be able to use coconut oil without having to wash more frequently (at least not so that it would matter). I oil my damp hair after shampooing and then run a bit of oil over the ends and canopy every day. The key for me is to not get heavy handed with the oil. A little bit goes a long way and it will absorb and not give you overly oily hair. A little goes a long way. :)

Pear Martini
November 21st, 2009, 10:35 PM
I dont know but whenever I oil the canopy I always do too much! Certain parts get over oiled while other dry parts stay super dry :confused:

Flynn
November 21st, 2009, 10:48 PM
I dont know but whenever I oil the canopy I always do too much! Certain parts get over oiled while other dry parts stay super dry :confused:

Do you have a brush?

Pear Martini
November 21st, 2009, 10:51 PM
lol, yes but my hair is out of control. Its big and most of the canopy is fried from old highlights. Some parts broke off 4 inches from my scalp and others are still apl or longer.

Flynn
November 21st, 2009, 11:15 PM
lol, yes but my hair is out of control. Its big and most of the canopy is fried from old highlights. Some parts broke off 4 inches from my scalp and others are still apl or longer.

Hahaha, no, I ask because there's a trick I like for getting it properly distributed. First, now your oil is a liquid, you might like to transfer some into a bottle. The jar is great when it's solid, but it's much easier to control in a bottle when it's liquid. Cover the opening of the bottle with your hand, and invert it. Twice. This tends to transfer a good amount of oil onto your palm -- it's usually exactly perfect for me. Now, get your brush, and rub it all over your oiled palm. Brush each section of your hair, ends first, then length, then a final stroke from almost at your scalp all the way to the ends. Do this for each section. Stop every so often, and apply a little more oil to your brush in the same way as before.

Pear Martini
November 21st, 2009, 11:43 PM
What a great idea... I will try that today

ETA:
I dont know if I was doing it right. I used a re-enforced boar bristle brush and I couldnt get enough oil on it. So I applied the oil mannualy and I did a better job than last time but it still looks greasy. Hopefully it will all absorb.

Othala
November 23rd, 2009, 06:15 AM
If I were you, Pear Martini, I would heavy oil and put my hair in a sleek bun. Use a fine tooth comb beforehand. Wear some nice earrings. It is a flamenco/Mediterranean type look that is acceptable and no one will know it's a coconut oiled head, they will just assume serum. If you want to pull this look off, it is important to dress smartly, not like a slob. An oiled bun on a slob just looks like greasy hair.

Pear Martini
November 23rd, 2009, 10:00 PM
thats a great idea... I will have to try it. I need good earrings tho :p

CrisDee
November 23rd, 2009, 10:26 PM
I guess you can see from my info at the left that I'm very new, so forgive me if this has been asked to death - where do y'all buy coconut oil? Whole Foods/Trader Joe's? (both within walking distance, lucky me!) Internet? Hard enough sounding like a dork here, don't wanna reveal my dorkness by asking silly questions at stores so close to my home :-D