PDA

View Full Version : I guess I can give away the hot rollers!

SurprisingWoman
November 20th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Last night I had to wash my hair late. Since it was still damp at 9pm I decided to try some rag curls.

It is soo different, but it is so much fun. :D

I had talked to my husband about giving away all my heat styling things since I haven't used them in years and probably never will again.

It's official. My daughter has just become the proud owner of some very nice heat styling toys. :cheese:

There are pics in my album.

Sunday, Nov 22
OH MY STARS AND GARTERS!
My hair hated rag curls. I couldn't even brush it yesterday. It was awful. I ended up oiling it and bunning to sleep in last night. I will be washing the oil out today. I am hoping my hair will feel back to its usual self later today.

Be careful if you do decide to try rag curls, evidently benign neglect isn't the only way my hair likes to be left alone. Good thing I am all thumbs and can't do braids and all the pretty things like the rest of you.

I just wanted to update because they were so fun and I had never done anything like them. I am glad I took pictures because I will never do anything like that again.

Oh well, you can't get any easier than doing nothing! :cool:

Brenda

Dars
November 20th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Wow! They are gorgeous. :)

SurprisingWoman
November 20th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Thanks, Dars. I have no talent to do things like updo's and braids so it was nice to find something I can do.

My husband is calling it "fun and flirty!" Can't beat that with a stick!

Dars
November 20th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I know what you mean, I am updo/braid challenged as well! Haha. It's nice to be able to see your hair styled in the opposite spectrum of hair types and without the heat damage! :thumbsup:

Shermie Girl
November 20th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Fabulous curls!

Girl, you have stunning hair. :thud:

piratejenny23
November 20th, 2009, 09:41 PM
i love rag curls too!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4334&pictureid=55854

i do mine a little differently because of growing out different lengths and being a little inept when it comes to hair styling...:knuckle:http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4334

Honestwitness
November 20th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Surprisingwoman, I assume you slept on the curls. Was it uncomfortable?

SurprisingWoman
November 20th, 2009, 10:02 PM
piratejenny23, how fun! It looks like you put a lot of thought into it. I was lazy but it seemed to work. I think I will do things a bit differently next time but this was such a different look it was fun.

Honestwitness, I did sleep on them. They weren't quite dry when I got up so I did housework with them in until about 2 and they were dry by then. They weren't uncomfortable at all but they were about neck length. There was nothing in the way of sleep or making bumps under my head. They turned out pretty tight and I didn't use mousse or anything so next time I might do larger pieces but then the drying will be an issue. It's all about trying it. I used strips of an old t-shirt. Let me know if you try it and how it works for you.

piratejenny23
November 20th, 2009, 10:08 PM
my hair is super-stubborn about holding a curl, so i experimented a lot. i really like how yours came out; it looks like your hair holds a curl very nicely! and your hair is so gorgeous and long :bowtome:

SurprisingWoman
November 22nd, 2009, 12:53 PM
Okay, after sleeping in coconut oil and washing this morning and using my favorite deep conditioner in the shower I think my hair is back to normal.

I have no idea why my hair freaked out so badly, I didn't even use any product with the rag curls but it felt like I had super heat fried it.

I have learned my lesson, be grateful for what I have and NO MORE EXPERIMENTS!

Quixii
November 22nd, 2009, 01:14 PM
Aw, they were so pretty! I wouldn't say never try them again!
The problem you may have had is you just don't know how to care for curly hair - which is quite different than straight hair. I'm sure that care for faked curly hair is different than naturally curly hair, but some things probably cross over.

Kimberly
November 22nd, 2009, 01:40 PM
What beautiful curls, Surprisingwoman! The fact that you had trouble when brushing indicates to the curlies out here that your rag curls were a huge success. In other words, most curlies can't brush their hair without ending up with a big mass of horrible frizz that likes to tangle. I bet if you have a look at some of the curly threads you can pick up some info that would help a lot.

EDIT: Just saw Quixii's post . . . yeah, what she said! :)

SurprisingWoman
November 22nd, 2009, 04:13 PM
Y'all are all so sweet. I MIGHT give it another try but seriously?... this was rough.

I have been looking at my ends this evening while watching movies with my lovie man and I have had to snip three ends! That is three more than I have had in months and months.

I am spoiled and used to having my hair just be an easy part of who I am. I am definitely rethinking what the curlies have to go through.

I have ALWAYS known I am a lucky beast.... this just confirms it.

Demetrue
November 22nd, 2009, 05:12 PM
Your curls looked great! Just remember that most curls do NOT want to be brushed! Maybe you can use larger pieces of hair for the next experiment and put a little oil on the ends and wrap the ends in a piece of tissue or silk before winding onto the rag curler.

cindy58
November 22nd, 2009, 05:20 PM
Wowza -- those are some curls!