PDA

View Full Version : short hair updos

buttons
April 23rd, 2008, 06:10 PM
some of you know I took the leap to cut off years of dyed/flat-ironed/bleached/fried damaged hair a few days ago. I should really update my info, cause its just brushing my shoulders now!
In the past few days I've realized something I didn't really think of before cutting...my hair is too short to do anything other than a ponytail! And while that isn't a terrible thing, because it could be shorter, I'm missing all my old buns and braids, hair sticks and forks, etc.
I can't really do anything about that now, but the thing Is I'm thinking eventually all this ponytail-wearing will start damaging my hair. No matter how loose I make the elastic It leaves that little dent (i hate that).

Okay so to the point: does anyone who has grown/is growing through this awkward length know of anything else I can do to put my hair up without the paranoia of damage?

DecafJane
April 23rd, 2008, 06:38 PM
If you want to keep it simple, you could get some claw clips - I wear them all the time and they don't seem to snag in my hair, but because I have a few of them it gives me some variety.

If you play with your hair enough, you might find a way that you can still put it up with sticks - it will be a messy updo and not lovely like you are used to, but you may still be able to use your smaller sticks. I have some pictures of me messing about with sticks and things in my album, but as my hair is still shoulder-length (plus layers) they aren't spectacular - however, they might give you some ideas . . . .

Good luck, and welcome to no-man's land. :)

mommy101405
April 23rd, 2008, 06:50 PM
I agree with DecafJane. The "messy" looks can be your friend. Also as a straight haired person I find if I curl my hair (wet set so its not so damaging) my hair will stay up a lot better. It can also can just give me a different look if I want my hair down. Also, a wet set dries much faster for me than someone with more hair. So I am taking advantage of that now while its a little shorter. I've just tried to enjoy where my hair is at and find a few styles that work at this length.

DecafJane
April 23rd, 2008, 07:16 PM
Mommy101405 makes a good point - enjoying your hair at the stage you are at is a very good way to stay sane and not get frustrated. We'll be able to do the fancy things later on, but for now I am having fun where I am at. :)

Tangles
April 23rd, 2008, 09:54 PM
I also cut my hair to shoulder length recently, it was about APL before but quite damaged. There are tons of things I can do with it (though my hair is thicker than yours, so it stays up pretty easy). Here are some ideas.

-Low ponytail
-High ponytail with messy strands hanging down
-Put just a little bit up in a pouf with a clip
-Deep side part held with clip
-Little "knotty" type Bun (my hair buns just fine at this length...)
-Pigtails or horse tails
-Messy bun waves or twisty waves pinned back every which way
-Blow dried flipping in or out
-Headband

The world is your oyster, haha. :)

sputnik
April 23rd, 2008, 10:19 PM
my hair is a bit shorter than shoulder (well the layers are, there is some length hitting just at shoulder) and I find two mini-buns right next to each other works better than one for me.

other ideas are:
two side braids pinned up in the back, if you can start them as french braids it looks nice too.

Oh and a french twist, or a close approximation

spidermom
April 23rd, 2008, 10:28 PM
The peacock twist.

buttons
April 23rd, 2008, 11:04 PM
I also cut my hair to shoulder length recently, it was about APL before but quite damaged. There are tons of things I can do with it (though my hair is thicker than yours, so it stays up pretty easy). Here are some ideas.

-Low ponytail
-High ponytail with messy strands hanging down
-Put just a little bit up in a pouf with a clip
-Deep side part held with clip
-Little "knotty" type Bun (my hair buns just fine at this length...)
-Pigtails or horse tails
-Messy bun waves or twisty waves pinned back every which way
-Blow dried flipping in or out
-Headband

The world is your oyster, haha. :)

oh, my hair typing is all wrong in my details. I have no idea how to type it correctly, so I think i'll post a picture asking for help pretty soon :o

thanks for all the suggestions!I bought a bunch of headbands that I think will be my best friend til this thing on my head looks a little better.