PDA

View Full Version : how to get this type of curl?

Sherri
November 20th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Here (http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/instruct/spanish/)is the pic at the bottom of the page.
I can never get my hair to do this. Is there a trick or something special I need to do. Those of you that can do this can you give me any tips?

Kris Dove
November 20th, 2009, 04:56 PM
My hair- unintentionally- looks like that when I take my bun out! I've never deliberately tried styling it like that, but I imagine that if yougently twisted your hair as if you were making a bun, before wrapping it around the curling tongs that would probably work.

amoulixes
November 20th, 2009, 05:01 PM
The only time I got a curl like that was by twisting and holding my hair...while sitting outside after washing it. I had twisted and held it because it was windy and had no hair tie. I'm assuming you want to do it without using a curling iron?

spidermom
November 20th, 2009, 06:15 PM
A single rag curl on the ends would do that. I start with a long rag (strip of anything hair friendly)laid along a long chopstick and wrap the ends of hair around the rag-covered stick, then roll the stick/rag up toward the nape, stopping where desired and tying the ends of the rag tightly together into a bow. Slide the chopstick out. Tighten bow if needed to keep the hair rolled. Curl will hold longer if you use gel or roll it while hair is damp. When ready, untie rag and carefully slide out of hair. Don't brush or comb the curl, but smooth if needed with fingers.

wishbone
November 20th, 2009, 06:24 PM
It looks like a spiral curl? If it is, you can use bendy rollers to do it. You take the hair and wrap it around the roller, though you do it at an angle, this picture shows how to wrap it:

http://i50.tinypic.com/343kwuo.gif

You can also do it with strips of fabric from like say a t-shirt as well, just secure it with pins once its wrapped up. Also i find that if you mist your hair or do it while its damp it'll hold for longer.

Themyst
November 20th, 2009, 07:04 PM
What methods have you used to try and curl it like that? Below is a pic of me when I use sponge curlers - but I put a bunch in. Notice the spirals toward the bottom (of the middle pic). My hair is too long now for the entire length to go into a sponge roller and hold a curl effectively down the length. But, by the time you get that little piece of hair in the back hanging there (since the rest of it is tucked up), you should be able to wrap it around a sponge curler and let it dry if you don't want to use a curling iron.

http://themysteriouslady.com/curlers.jpg

Sherri
November 20th, 2009, 07:32 PM
A single rag curl on the ends would do that. I start with a long rag (strip of anything hair friendly)laid along a long chopstick and wrap the ends of hair around the rag-covered stick, then roll the stick/rag up toward the nape, stopping where desired and tying the ends of the rag tightly together into a bow. Slide the chopstick out. Tighten bow if needed to keep the hair rolled. Curl will hold longer if you use gel or roll it while hair is damp. When ready, untie rag and carefully slide out of hair. Don't brush or comb the curl, but smooth if needed with fingers.
Wow that sounds like a neat idea.

What methods have you used to try and curl it like that? Below is a pic of me when I use sponge curlers - but I put a bunch in. Notice the spirals toward the bottom (of the middle pic). My hair is too long now for the entire length to go into a sponge roller and hold a curl effectively down the length. But, by the time you get that little piece of hair in the back hanging there (since the rest of it is tucked up), you should be able to wrap it around a sponge curler and let it dry if you don't want to use a curling iron.

http://themysteriouslady.com/curlers.jpg
I haven't really been able to figure out a way to get the one big curl. I do rag curls all the time and get similar results as your pics.
I guess I just need to try a strip of fabic or something that would hold alot of hair?

Themyst
November 20th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I bought my pack of sponge rollers at Walmart cheap enough. I would think a sponge curler would give you a more consistent spiral but then I never did a rag curl before.

Sherri
November 20th, 2009, 08:00 PM
I bought my pack of sponge rollers at Walmart cheap enough. I would think a sponge curler would give you a more consistent spiral but then I never did a rag curl before.
So you think one sponge roller at bottom? Damp hair or dry?
I never tried just one roller. I didn't think it would hold all my hair.

Nocturnal
November 20th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I think the easiest way to achieve it is to make one big twist when your hair is wet and fix it in that position (by pinning or using product).

manderly
November 20th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Just twist it. Take a look at the tutorial in my signature for waves. I twist my hair into pigtails and it looks exactly like the curl you linked to prior to me shaking it out.

Simply twisting your hair as it dries in 1 large twist would do the same. Directions are in my article :)

Teacherbear
November 20th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I get this by putting my hair in a pony tail, misting the hair, and twisting the tail (always in the same direction) as the hair dries. how do I do it? hmmm, hold on a second. . . Ok, I had to do it a couple of times to figure out what I do. I start with my hand (usually my left one) on my pony tail, like I'm about to twist it for a cinnamon bun. I then twist the hair, but instead of twisting it around the pony tie, I just run my hair down the length. I often will twist several times as I go down the length. The more times I twist it as it is drying, the tighter the twist in the finished product/'do. I hope that makes some sort of sense!

Shermie Girl
November 20th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Simply set your ends on a few large rollers. When you do your hair, take out the rollers and gently brush and work the curls into one fat spiral curl. That is how I do it. :D

SurprisingWoman
November 20th, 2009, 09:31 PM
I wouldn't have had a clue before but I think Spidermom nailed it, one (or two) huge rag curls.

Sherri
November 20th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Just twist it. Take a look at the tutorial in my signature for waves. I twist my hair into pigtails and it looks exactly like the curl you linked to prior to me shaking it out.

Simply twisting your hair as it dries in 1 large twist would do the same. Directions are in my article :)
I will give this a try. Seems so easy. I would like to be able to do this without any heat. So twisting or rag rolling sounds great.

Pear Martini
November 20th, 2009, 10:04 PM
while its wet after showering, put it in a side pony and keep twisting/rolling the side pony into what I call a "hair sausage". :p If your hair is naturaly wavy, when it dries it will look similar to the pic.

Just keep on rolling it til its dry

Themyst
November 20th, 2009, 11:23 PM
So you think one sponge roller at bottom? Damp hair or dry?
I never tried just one roller. I didn't think it would hold all my hair.

Just a little damp. When I roll it, I don't wrap the whole section in one big lump around the roller, I try to make it even on the roller, if that makes any sense. I know you are worried it might not all fit in there, but to me that picture looked like the curly part was just a small swatch of hair. Well, I guess you won't know unless you try it. I hope you are not disappointed. Others are raving about this rag curling, that's something I've got to try some day, too. Otherwise, I might break out the curling iron if it is only done on rare occasion, but curlers hold my curl much better than an iron.

teela1978
November 20th, 2009, 11:28 PM
I vote for the twisting option. I used to get pigtails to do that, one on each side of my head by putting them up damp, and then twisting regularly as they dried. Made one big sausage roll.

Tornerose
November 21st, 2009, 06:12 AM
If bun my hair when wet, it looks liek that when dry and I take it out. But you have to remember not to brush it or anything.

Sherri
November 21st, 2009, 08:47 AM
Just a little damp. When I roll it, I don't wrap the whole section in one big lump around the roller, I try to make it even on the roller, if that makes any sense. I know you are worried it might not all fit in there, but to me that picture looked like the curly part was just a small swatch of hair. Well, I guess you won't know unless you try it. I hope you are not disappointed. Others are raving about this rag curling, that's something I've got to try some day, too. Otherwise, I might break out the curling iron if it is only done on rare occasion, but curlers hold my curl much better than an iron.
Yes I will just have to go for it. I just never thought that was how it was done.
I just rag curled my hair last night and the curls stay in for days.
I like it because they look a little different than just sponge curls.
To me rag curls look more like waves(to me)

Sherri
November 21st, 2009, 08:51 AM
I twist my hair before I put in the rag rollers. Would that be the twist everyone is referring to? It would just be with all the hair instead of sections of it?

teela1978
November 21st, 2009, 10:19 AM
I twist my hair before I put in the rag rollers. Would that be the twist everyone is referring to? It would just be with all the hair instead of sections of it?

I literally meant just kinda twirling it every few minutes while it dried. One big rag curl on the ends would probably work as well though.

Themyst
November 21st, 2009, 12:00 PM
Sherri, I hope you will update us with the results of whatever method you try! :)

Sherri
November 21st, 2009, 03:34 PM
Sherri, I hope you will update us with the results of whatever method you try! :)
Yes I will. If I have any luck. I need to take more photos.

Demetrue
November 21st, 2009, 05:04 PM
I used to get that kind of "banana curl" by using a clean, long sports sock for a rag roller. I would use a tissue on the ends of just tried hair to keep the ends all together, then start rolling from the bottom with the hair in the tissue, up till neck legnth and tie the ends of the sock together to make a ponytail. Then I would sleep in it - you just have to lay on your sides, not on your back so the roller doesn't make your neck uncomfortable. Next morning I would take it out, only brush the scalp part of my hair - NOT brush the curl part at all, put it in a ponytail and just shape the curl into one large fat curl.

Longlove
November 21st, 2009, 07:20 PM
I do this at night to get my hair away from my shoulders/face. The waves are a bonus!! (my hair is now waist length and very straight)

I comb through and mist my hair while upside-down to re-activate styling product. Then I pull all my hair through a scrunchie at my crown. (Do NOT twist the scrunchie like you would for making a ponytail. It is to remain untwisted and stationary against your scalp.)

Then, I wind the hair over the side of the scrunchie (back towards my scalp) and pull it back through the middle again from underneath. I continue this winding (over, under, through), moving around the length of the scrunchie.

To give you a better idea, visualize wrapping a strip of yarn (ie. your hair) around around a ring (ie. the scrunchie) continuing until it's covered completely with yarn. I then tuck then ends and secure it with either a claw clamp or a chop stick.

Depending on your length and texture, I imagine once you've "covered" one scrunchie you can start winding around another if need be. Don't wrap the ends too tightly, as I've ended up with "poodle tassel" that way (unless you're into that kind of thing)! Just unwind and shake/finger-comb to style.

If I wasn't such a techno-tard I'd post pics. Hope it makes sense :confused:

Themyst
November 21st, 2009, 08:16 PM
I think I can visualize what you are talking about Longlove, very interesting. Can you tell me how the crown of your head looks when you take it down? I mean, is the crown hair straight and flat down to your ears and then the curlies start? Because I'm just thinking that the hair from the nape of your neck to the top of your head wouldn't be gathered in the scrunchie - how do you handle that? :hmm:

Ceisdein
November 21st, 2009, 08:43 PM
I'm not sure this is going to make perfect (or any) sense but... I do that sort of curl in pigtails. For me the trick is not so much the size of the initial curl but combining a bunch of them together. Starting with smaller separate curls also helps give that slightly peicey look from the picture. Make a bunch of curls, however works best for you. The important thing is to make sure they're all going in the same direction. Say, all twisted to the right. Gather your hair into one hand. Lightly combine the the curls, still staying in the same direction, and form them around your hand. You can use a comb if it makes it easier to smooth them together. Then just carefully pull your hand out. (Once you get a feel for it you don't have to use your hand as a roller anymore, you can just twist all the curls together.) As long as your curls are formed in the same direction they shouldn't have too much of a problem grouping up and forming one big curl. If you are having trouble try spritzing your hair with a little water to help it reform. Did that make sense?

Longlove
November 21st, 2009, 11:33 PM
I think I can visualize what you are talking about Longlove, very interesting. Can you tell me how the crown of your head looks when you take it down? I mean, is the crown hair straight and flat down to your ears and then the curlies start? Because I'm just thinking that the hair from the nape of your neck to the top of your head wouldn't be gathered in the scrunchie - how do you handle that? :hmm:
I put all my hair in the scrunchie at my crown. I am able to fit it all with one scrunchie since I have straight fine hair. I should mention that I position it towards the back of my crown so that it doesn't pull on the front of my scalp while I'm laying down.

When I take it down the crown just has some volume. I imagine any curl/wave that would have occured there on shorter hair is weighed down by the length. But the length from about the ears down have waves or corkscrews depending on how tight I wind it.

Hope that helped :)

Themyst
November 22nd, 2009, 04:36 PM
The next time I wash, I'll try this. I'm very curious now! Thanks. :)

Sherri
November 23rd, 2009, 07:29 AM
I put all my hair in the scrunchie at my crown. I am able to fit it all with one scrunchie since I have straight fine hair. I should mention that I position it towards the back of my crown so that it doesn't pull on the front of my scalp while I'm laying down.

When I take it down the crown just has some volume. I imagine any curl/wave that would have occured there on shorter hair is weighed down by the length. But the length from about the ears down have waves or corkscrews depending on how tight I wind it.

Hope that helped :)
I tried this and it worked for me. Nice big sausage roll.:cheese:
It curled so well that I went back to BSL length.
Now it is in a braid with the ends curled nicely.
Thanks for the tips!!!

Longlove
November 24th, 2009, 01:29 AM
I loooove a ponytail with one big sausage roll! It's so.... pretty in a girly way.

Now if I could only figure out how to make the curl/wave last! Since childhood, even when I use gel or mousse, I've never been able to make it stay. And I refuse to use hairspray...always hated the stuff.

Post a pic of your results if you get a chance :)

missy60
November 24th, 2009, 04:54 AM
I do this at night to get my hair away from my shoulders/face. The waves are a bonus!! (my hair is now waist length and very straight)

I comb through and mist my hair while upside-down to re-activate styling product. Then I pull all my hair through a scrunchie at my crown. (Do NOT twist the scrunchie like you would for making a ponytail. It is to remain untwisted and stationary against your scalp.)

Then, I wind the hair over the side of the scrunchie (back towards my scalp) and pull it back through the middle again from underneath. I continue this winding (over, under, through), moving around the length of the scrunchie.

To give you a better idea, visualize wrapping a strip of yarn (ie. your hair) around around a ring (ie. the scrunchie) continuing until it's covered completely with yarn. I then tuck then ends and secure it with either a claw clamp or a chop stick.

Depending on your length and texture, I imagine once you've "covered" one scrunchie you can start winding around another if need be. Don't wrap the ends too tightly, as I've ended up with "poodle tassel" that way (unless you're into that kind of thing)! Just unwind and shake/finger-comb to style.

If I wasn't such a techno-tard I'd post pics. Hope it makes sense :confused:

I would love to try this but I just cant get the idea down. You put a scrunchie in your hair...I get that part. How do you wrap your hair around the scrunchie?

Themyst
November 24th, 2009, 07:09 AM
I would love to try this but I just cant get the idea down. You put a scrunchie in your hair...I get that part. How do you wrap your hair around the scrunchie?

If I understood it right, you act like you are making a ponytail (pull your hair through the scrunchie, and then keep on doing that. Keep bringing the tail back and running it through the scrunchie, until your hair is entirely wrapped around the scrunchie.

Sherri
November 24th, 2009, 07:18 AM
If I understood it right, you act like you are making a ponytail (pull your hair through the scrunchie, and then keep on doing that. Keep bringing the tail back and running it through the scrunchie, until your hair is entirely wrapped around the scrunchie.
Yes that is exactly what I did and I got one big super curl:)

Themyst
November 24th, 2009, 07:36 AM

Ahem ... I do believe they say around here that it didn't happen if there is no pic! :)

Longlove
November 24th, 2009, 02:09 PM

Hah! I christen thee "Super Curl". My favorite crime fighter!!!

Longlove
November 24th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Maybe my ring and yarn example didn't explain it so well.

Imagine sewing a bead onto a shirt: Up through the middle of the bead (scrunchie), ....then back underneath the bead....and through it again.

plainjanegirl
November 24th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I think we need some step by step pics and maybe ending result pics too. Do you do this on wet or dry hair?

I was so disappointed today cause I slept in rollers but this morning my hair had very loose lousy looking curls and after I was bad and used hairspray and tried scrunching then it looked awful so in a braid it went.

Sherri
November 24th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Ahem ... I do believe they say around here that it didn't happen if there is no pic! :)
I know I have been so bad about not posting pictures lately. It made my hair so short that I didn't feel it was worthy of a pic.:(
Maybe next time.:)

Longlove
November 24th, 2009, 06:42 PM
I think we need some step by step pics and maybe ending result pics too. Do you do this on wet or dry hair?

I was so disappointed today cause I slept in rollers but this morning my hair had very loose lousy looking curls and after I was bad and used hairspray and tried scrunching then it looked awful so in a braid it went.

I only mist some water on my dry hair when I do this. Any wetter, and my hair doesn't dry completely so the curl just collapses.

I have to remind myself not to wind too tightly. Otherwise, the curl is just too tight for my taste.

JCFantasy23
November 25th, 2009, 02:10 AM
I've always wondered about one big curl like that too and couldn't achieve it with a curling iron. Thanks for starting this thread!

Sherri
November 25th, 2009, 09:10 PM
I've always wondered about one big curl like that too and couldn't achieve it with a curling iron. Thanks for starting this thread!
Your welcome. I would like abit of a looser curl. The scrunchie worked great but it was to tight of a curl for me.

Longlove
November 26th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Your welcome. I would like abit of a looser curl. The scrunchie worked great but it was to tight of a curl for me.

A looser tension as you wind it around, and making fewer revolutions around the scrunchie will help solve that. I find that varying the tension is the deciding factor in whether I get curl or wave. But I guess that rule applies whether you're using rollers or doing bee butt buns...

I've never tried it,.... but maybe using the rolled sock from a sock bun instead of a scrunchie would help ensure a looser result???

Also, when I style it in the morning with the intent of wearing it down, I pull sections of the hair apart with my fingers so that the strands hang in separated waves instead of staying in the one sausage curl.

manderly
November 26th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Have you tried twisting yet?

Really, this is all you need to get this curl, I do it to my ponytail all the time.

Do you twirl a strand of hair around your pointer finger when you think or talk? It's the same motion, only with the entire bunch of hair. Just twirl it repeatedly after misting it lightly and combing it smooth, then twirl it around your pointer finger repeatedly while it dries. You'll end up with a nice, loose, yet well-formed curl as you've pictured :)