PDA

View Full Version : Tyra again

morguebabe
November 20th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Oh LOL
She just held up a weft of synthic hair and said no ones hair is this shiney.

:D Oh Tyra.

The she held up a weft of real human hair, which was like as long as my pony tail and as thick as like 10 of my pony tails, and was like "You guys someone really grew this, like out of their scalp! they grew this!" Like it was so crazy. It was really thick like as thick as a the guy who was holding it forearm I suspect it was a few donors.. but still.

Oh tyra.

Coriander
November 20th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I gave up watching her. The antics got out of hand.

Shufro
November 20th, 2009, 03:50 PM
hahaha i knooo shes annoying :rolleyes:

Amoretti
November 20th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

otherarrow
November 20th, 2009, 04:31 PM
She is hard to figure out.
She says she cares about the girls, but have you seen her dissing them in the judging room? :shrug:

motormuffin
November 20th, 2009, 05:49 PM
My husband says he wouldn't mind watching as long as the mute was on.

Keildra
November 20th, 2009, 08:32 PM
I don't know about her but I think she's better than Opera.

Heavenly Locks
November 20th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Why does she care about hair so much? I mean, she's famous and could use her powers for good rather than evil!?

lillithnight
November 20th, 2009, 08:42 PM
she's crazy. I think we have enough of her with her two shows. I think i would rather sit through twelve hours of oprah then the same amount og time of trya.

Slightly off topic, but I could easily watch twelve hours of beautiful thing. :)

BranwenWolf
November 21st, 2009, 01:19 AM
It must be the wigs. Tyra has very bizarre views of hair.
That's why I'm trying to grow mine back to classic or beyond, in case I ever meet her. Beware that there will be blood before I let her so much as touch my hair, though!

I can't stand any daytime talk shows except for maybe Ellen because she's cool. Any other shows that feature one or more bickering females just irritate me to no end.

rogue_psyche
November 21st, 2009, 01:19 AM
I bet you that bundle is a collection of the hair she has cut from the long haired girls she had on her show. I'm eerily reminded of scalp trophies. :run:

GlennaGirl
November 21st, 2009, 01:30 AM
I feel like Tyra is a little bit off her nut.

BranwenWolf
November 21st, 2009, 01:34 AM
A little? I think she went off her rocker a while ago and it's progressive.

RavennaNight
November 21st, 2009, 02:18 AM
she's crazy. I think we have enough of her with her two shows. I think i would rather sit through twelve hours of oprah then the same amount og time of trya.

Slightly off topic, but I could easily watch twelve hours of beautiful thing. :)

:lol: enjoy your oprah marathon while you can! It was onthe news today Oprah is quitting in 2011. Basically a year or so. I am sure tyra will try to fill those shoes. :rolleyes:

missjessiecakes
November 21st, 2009, 02:20 AM
Hehehee I prefer cooking shows. Tyra Scares me a whole lot. I sometimes like oprah but I would prefer to just watch The Food Network.

Nae
November 21st, 2009, 07:11 AM
I think she has her heart in the right place but she just isn't that smart. I gave up on her the day I saw her have witches on her show (modern day Wiccans and some who were darker and didn't follow the Rede.) She was so creeped out by them that at the end of the show she just HAD to burn some sage to get the negativity out of the studio. Really? I wonder who else regularly burns sage to remove negativity? Who might it be? Hmm, I wonder......oh yeah, WITCHES. For pete's sake, what a dummy! I about fell off of my couch and ended up throwing a pillow at the TV, it was unbelievable.:rolleyes:

Morrighan
November 21st, 2009, 08:24 AM
I think she has her heart in the right place but she just isn't that smart. I gave up on her the day I saw her have witches on her show (modern day Wiccans and some who were darker and didn't follow the Rede.) She was so creeped out by them that at the end of the show she just HAD to burn some sage to get the negativity out of the studio. Really? I wonder who else regularly burns sage to remove negativity? Who might it be? Hmm, I wonder......oh yeah, WITCHES. For pete's sake, what a dummy! I about fell off of my couch and ended up throwing a pillow at the TV, it was unbelievable.:rolleyes:

I remember that episode and that's the one that made me stop watching too. That custom actually started with the pagan religions and was carried onto Christianity.

Keildra
November 21st, 2009, 09:58 AM
I think she has her heart in the right place but she just isn't that smart. I gave up on her the day I saw her have witches on her show (modern day Wiccans and some who were darker and didn't follow the Rede.) She was so creeped out by them that at the end of the show she just HAD to burn some sage to get the negativity out of the studio. Really? I wonder who else regularly burns sage to remove negativity? Who might it be? Hmm, I wonder......oh yeah, WITCHES. For pete's sake, what a dummy! I about fell off of my couch and ended up throwing a pillow at the TV, it was unbelievable.:rolleyes: wow I missed that episode, I quit watching the day I realized she had two different personalities on her two different shows

longhairedfairy
November 21st, 2009, 10:30 AM
I bet you that bundle is a collection of the hair she has cut from the long haired girls she had on her show. I'm eerily reminded of scalp trophies. :run:
Oh, how creepy! :shudder: You just had to point that out, didn't you?:lol:

morguebabe
November 21st, 2009, 03:14 PM
wow I missed that episode, I quit watching the day I realized she had two different personalities on her two different shows

I missed that show, but my favorite by far, has to be the episode where she puts on the 300 pound fat suit, and pretends to be fat for a day, then cries to real fat people saying "You guys it was so hard, everyone was staring and laughing at me...it was so hard!"
and the fat girls had to comfort her....:rolleyes:

BranwenWolf
November 21st, 2009, 03:18 PM
She pretends to empathize with whatever oppressed group appears on her show but the fact stands that Tyra has had a really cushy life. The fakery irritates me.

kmoc123
November 21st, 2009, 03:35 PM
I won't watch her or look at her photos in magazines, or have ANYTHING to do with her...She is a horrible role model and person. She should be ashamed of herself!!!

Áine
November 21st, 2009, 03:47 PM
I don't like to join bash fests, but speaking truthfully...

I find Tyra Banks to be an extremely disingenuous person, who does not have the empathy, social graces, or mental flexibility to be the sort of talk show host she dreams of being.

I don't like how she has guests appear on her show to talk about extensions and other hair additives, as if she herself doesn't know what they are (and is often seen wearing them while pretending not to know what they are.)

I don't like how she "exoticizes" people of different ethnicities on her model show, as if you can put on "tribal dress" like you would a costume and be "another race" for a day. What was she thinking when they were painted in blackface. What the hell does "emote African vibes" mean anyway?

And now, upon reading how she disrespected the presence of Wiccans on her show, my opinion of her is at an all time low.

longhairedfairy
November 21st, 2009, 06:03 PM
I don't like to join bash fests, but speaking truthfully...

I find Tyra Banks to be an extremely disingenuous person, who does not have the empathy, social graces, or mental flexibility to be the sort of talk show host she dreams of being.

I don't like how she has guests appear on her show to talk about extensions and other hair additives, as if she herself doesn't know what they are (and is often seen wearing them while pretending not to know what they are.)

I don't like how she "exoticizes" people of different ethnicities on her model show, as if you can put on "tribal dress" like you would a costume and be "another race" for a day. What was she thinking when they were painted in blackface. What the hell does "emote African vibes" mean anyway?

And now, upon reading how she disrespected the presence of Wiccans on her show, my opinion of her is at an all time low.
:agape: She did what?

Nae
November 21st, 2009, 06:04 PM
Yeah, anyone who disses someone else's religion doesn't rank high in my book.

WaimeaWahine
November 22nd, 2009, 04:44 AM
Should we kidnap her and do an intervention?

A natural afro would be gorgeous on her! There have been articles and news stories pointing out the pressure that African American women feel to straighten their hair.

I'm thrilled to see Oprah leaving and hope Tyra does not replace her in any regard. I took a magazine survey the other day which asked why I didn't like any of the O Magazine covers. My response was, "Don't you think it's a bit conceited that she's on every cover? Only twice has she shared the cover with a guest." :rolleyes: Whether it's real or weaves, Oprah has always had awesome hair though!

berr
November 22nd, 2009, 05:06 AM
Oh LOL
She just held up a weft of synthic hair and said no ones hair is this shiney.

:D Oh Tyra.

The she held up a weft of real human hair, which was like as long as my pony tail and as thick as like 10 of my pony tails, and was like "You guys someone really grew this, like out of their scalp! they grew this!" Like it was so crazy. It was really thick like as thick as a the guy who was holding it forearm I suspect it was a few donors.. but still.

Oh tyra.

Next, she will be saying... OMG, women actually produce mile to nurse babies. They actually grew it, the baby, like out of their stomach.

She's a total waste of space, IMO. I can't stand to watch the daytime programs. They apparently have an audience. WHY? That just freaks me out that they have 'followers'. I can't even stand the entertainment geared programs like Regis.

berr
November 22nd, 2009, 05:10 AM
Should we kidnap her and do an intervention?

A natural afro would be gorgeous on her! There have been articles and news stories pointing out the pressure that African American women feel to straighten their hair.

I'm thrilled to see Oprah leaving and hope Tyra does not replace her in any regard. I took a magazine survey the other day which asked why I didn't like any of the O Magazine covers. My response was, "Don't you think it's a bit conceited that she's on every cover? Only twice has she shared the cover with a guest." :rolleyes: Whether it's real or weaves, Oprah has always had awesome hair though!

Oprah isn't leaving. SHE'S GETTING HER OWN NETWORK. OWN, the Oprah Winfrey Network. ...

orbiting
November 22nd, 2009, 06:42 AM
Oprah isn't leaving. SHE'S GETTING HER OWN NETWORK. OWN, the Oprah Winfrey Network. ...

I though Oxygen was her own network?

And personally, I dislike Tyra AND Oprah, but Tyra does get a bit more of my ire.

kimannabella
November 22nd, 2009, 10:31 AM
I cannot stand that woman.Absolute egomaniac.

Anyone remember the girl with gorgeous hair that tyra convinced her to chop up to resemble mia farrows cut in rosemary's baby, she had this feral look in her eye. Like a wolf or something,
and then she booted her out of the show the next week?

yellowchariot
November 22nd, 2009, 11:11 AM
Why does she care about hair so much? I mean, she's famous and could use her powers for good rather than evil!?

^ I suspect that she is a Sith Lord! :suspect:
I since much confusion and turmoil in her. . .
Perhaps she is the "chancellor behind Locks of Love" :no:

I call upon a Jedi meeting! :luke:

Squeaky
November 22nd, 2009, 11:43 AM

Wow, I'm very glad I missed that episode, my blood vessles don't need that sort of abuse. I don't know why she is trying to convince women the beauty of their own natural hair when obviously hers is very unnatural. I agree on the whole split personality thing too. Ugh. She needs a good dose of reality. And a few hours in a fat suit is not reality, even though she likes to think it is. :rolleyes:

Keildra
November 22nd, 2009, 11:43 AM
^ I suspect that she is a Sith Lord! :suspect:
I since much confusion and turmoil in her. . .
Perhaps she is the "chancellor behind Locks of Love" :no:

I call upon a Jedi meeting! :luke:
Oprah's more of the sith lord Tyra just the apprentice. I do believe in the rule of two Tyra's probably plotting to destroy Oprah.

zule
November 22nd, 2009, 11:57 AM
Oprah's hair is her own. Of course she does a LOT to it, but it's not a weave. She's said she's never had one and won't get one.

I've never watched Tyra, but you women have convinced me not to waste my time. Thanks!:)

otherarrow
November 22nd, 2009, 12:32 PM
Oprah's more of the sith lord Tyra just the apprentice. I do believe in the rule of two Tyra's probably plotting to destroy Oprah.

Guys guys, what have the sith lords ever done to you?
Being compared to them is a fate no Vader deserves:nono:

RancheroTheBee
November 22nd, 2009, 12:40 PM
First, as a note, O sells far less copies when Oprah herself is not on the cover. It's more a financial move than anything, I believe.

Okay, Tyra made this really big deal out of removing her extensions a few month back. It was exceptionally maddening because she kept referring to it as natural. I have no beef whatsoever with women who genuinely want their hair relaxed and colored, but they know that this doesn't mean their doesn't count as "natural". If you Google "natural hair", or "natural hair journey", you see a lot of women rocking proud afros. Oprah HAS shown her natural hair texture.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b198/emagdalene/oprah.jpg

There you have it. Kinky z-waves. Tyra came on the show with slicked back, straight, dyed hair and dared to congratulate herself for "going natural". It was the kind of fakery I associate with her stunt where she donned a fat suit and then cried about it.

yellowchariot
November 22nd, 2009, 02:00 PM

Ah, clouded, this plot is.

Guys guys, what have the sith lords ever done to you?
Being compared to them is a fate no Vader deserves:nono:

The Jedi are selfless, the Sith only serve for their own passion! nah-nah-na-boo-boo! :tongue:

First, as a note, O sells far less copies when Oprah herself is not on the cover. It's more a financial move than anything, I believe.

Okay, Tyra made this really big deal out of removing her extensions a few month back. It was exceptionally maddening because she kept referring to it as natural. I have no beef whatsoever with women who genuinely want their hair relaxed and colored, but they know that this doesn't mean their doesn't count as "natural". If you Google "natural hair", or "natural hair journey", you see a lot of women rocking proud afros. Oprah HAS shown her natural hair texture.

There you have it. Kinky z-waves. Tyra came on the show with slicked back, straight, dyed hair and dared to congratulate herself for "going natural". It was the kind of fakery I associate with her stunt where she donned a fat suit and then cried about it.

RancheroTheBee, you are strong with the force! ;)

Buddaphlyy
November 22nd, 2009, 08:24 PM

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b198/emagdalene/oprah.jpg

Oprah is no longer natural. Shortly after this picture was taken, she had Andre relax her hair. But it is lovely natural hair.

funkateer
November 22nd, 2009, 09:21 PM
I missed that show, but my favorite by far, has to be the episode where she puts on the 300 pound fat suit, and pretends to be fat for a day, then cries to real fat people saying "You guys it was so hard, everyone was staring and laughing at me...it was so hard!"

:mad: Ugh, I know that really irked me & grated on my nerves...the big girls had to console her. Unbelievable! It's always about her. Tyra the know-it-all is always spewing out pseudo-intellectual nonsense. To top it off, this woman doesn't know how to be objective whatsoever.

Fake Oprah :D

Darkhorse1
November 22nd, 2009, 09:26 PM
I do feel bad for african american women and hair---because if you see it from their eyes, all the ads are of women with straight, shiny, long hair. you don't see lovely curly african american hair, afros etc. I can see why tyra has a hair fascination--we all do :)

Hair fascinates me, though once it's off my head, it grosses me out ;) But, I love learning about new styles, new hair accessories etc. Fun fun.

I love Oprah. She's so natural and true. I think Tyra is caught in a media campaign. She has to be what she thinks the world wants her to be. I can't fault her for that, but I think she has gotten a bit of an inflated ego --her life is very successful and that's only natural. But, she's dealt with every day problems like weight, critique etc.

Pumpkin
November 23rd, 2009, 03:16 PM
I watched a "Tyra" episode one time, and that was one too many!!

BranwenWolf
November 23rd, 2009, 07:01 PM
I didn't even make it through an episode.
That was 5 minutes of my life I would like to have back.

Gvnagitlvgei
November 23rd, 2009, 09:56 PM
Tyra irritates me when she "n-erizes" (think long about that one) her speech when talking to Black people then Buffie's it all up when talking to Caucasian people. Sigh. I hate that. Then she shakes her booty and does all other nonsense as though to say it's something Black people do. GAWD! Tyra, read a book, PLEASE!!!! I actually preferred her toilet/colonics show over the hair shows. I don't care about her weaves, wigs, lace-fronts etc. Please, just read a book and stop iggin your speech when you address people who are brown...damnit!

dearladydisdain
November 23rd, 2009, 10:56 PM
She says she cares about the girls, but have you seen her dissing them in the judging room? :shrug:
Tyra is a crazy walking contradiction, and the Top Model fans are the first to admit it. Yes, I am one of them. I can't stop watching! :lol:

Keildra
November 23rd, 2009, 11:08 PM
Tyra is a crazy walking contradiction, and the Top Model fans are the first to admit it. Yes, I am one of them. I can't stop watching! :lol:
I used to watch it, my favorite episodes are the ones where the girls are tripping over the ten inch high heels that they don't know how to walk in (seriously it's not that hard) and the ones where they get make-overs and they always make a severe cut on the long haired girls and there are tears (I would never sacrifice my hair especially not for a game show, nor even a one year career)

hennared
November 23rd, 2009, 11:26 PM
Never have seen this show (or Oprah). NEVER want to!

This thread makes me glad I don't own a TV. If I did, I'd be even more convinced humanity is doomed! (as newspapers alone make me wonder .. :( )

Where do people like this Tyra come from? Yuck!

pdy2kn6
November 23rd, 2009, 11:29 PM
Was this on America's next top model or on her talk show? What was she doing with the hair?

JamieLeigh
November 24th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Hehe, this is why I don't watch things like this. It's a fine line sometimes between what amuses me and what infuriates me. :p

Igor
November 24th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Oh, Tyra.

http://4gifs.com/gallery/d/32043-1/EdnaDisgust.jpg

Leena7
November 24th, 2009, 09:38 AM
I don't mind Tyra. She seems to really want to help girls, but I think she doesn't yet know how to go about it correctly. Some of her episodes are helpful or at least interesting. For example, I liked the episode where she was in the fat suit and went speed dating. It was deliciously great when she told the guy who was dissing her for being too fat for him that she was really Tyra. The thing that bothers me is that she seems to have this other part of her when she talks about modeling. On AMNTM, her mantra goes from "feel good about yourself for being you" to something more like "well, you aren't going to fly in the modeling world because you are too..." Most of the time her critiques have more to do with the model's poses or personality, but the other judges often criticize the girls' bodies and tell them to lose or gain weight and that their faces look like "pug dog faces" in certain poses. Of course, most of the time I do not feel too bad for those models because many of them seem very shallow. Still, the whole thing bothers me. I wish that if Tyra is going to bother having a show about modeling, that she would try to change the modeling industry so that girls can have a chance without changing their looks drastically.

About her attitude towards hair, I think she just doesn't know about the type of hair care people on the LHC practice. She has been getting her hair done regularly by stylists since she was very young for her modeling career, so I doubt that she has ever pursued the kind of careful and gentle hair care regime the members here practice. But a lot of people are like that. If I told my friends that they could go multiple days without washing their hair, some of them would be shocked and others would be grossed out. I feel like there are just a lot of misconceptions about hair out there. I don't think it is necessarily bad to where wigs or weaves if they make the wearer feel more confident, but it would be nice to see Tyra debut her natural, not relaxed hair someday. Maybe then little black girls won't ask their moms to get their hair relaxed when they are three years old. I just watched the Chris Rock documentary Good Hair last night and that part was heartbreaking to me. No little girls should feel like they need a chemical hair process to fit in or be pretty.

Mutinous
November 24th, 2009, 10:30 AM
I don't mind Tyra, but I hate when she talks about hair.

I mean, I understand the whole euro-centric beauty ideals about hair, and how that (some) people with afro feel a pressure that to be more accepted then need 'white-esque' hair. There are so many studies on this issue, and its really interesting.

That said, I have no idea how she can get on her high horse and bemoan fake, synthetic hair, with a wig on her head. I was even more annoyed when she cut that girls hair for Locks of Love. I mean, why not just donate her massive weave/wig collection and embrace her own hair for once?

JCFantasy23
November 25th, 2009, 02:32 AM
The woman seems unnaturally obsessed with long hair and getting rid of it, making fun of it, and maniacally chopping it off. If she wasn't so insulting about it I wouldn't care, as it's just her opinion, but she acts like everyone who doesn't agree with her on the long hair issue is crazy or something.

Rebelkat
November 25th, 2009, 02:45 AM
The woman seems unnaturally obsessed with long hair and getting rid of it, making fun of it, and maniacally chopping it off. If she wasn't so insulting about it I wouldn't care, as it's just her opinion, but she acts like everyone who doesn't agree with her on the long hair issue is crazy or something.
I find it odd that she acts like those who disagree with her are crazy, when you can so clearly see from the video where she cuts the one girl's hair herself that she gets this DEMENTED look on her face while she cuts it. Of course, I always heard that part of being insane is thinking that you're sane and everyone else isn't. :shrug:

Heavenly Locks
November 25th, 2009, 02:48 AM
Just wanted to add this haha!

http://img.perezhilton.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/tyra.gif

Fiferstone
November 25th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Question for fellow members with naturally kinky hair who have had it straightened: I've read a couple articles about how one has to make a choice (or the choice is made for you by relatives) about whether to have chemically-straightened or natural hair. I've also read that having one's natural hair chemically straightened is actually painful (!) because the relaxers are caustic and can burn the scalp. Is this true?

Fethenwen
November 25th, 2009, 06:28 AM

Holy balloons of crap, I'm glad to not have seen that episode. That is some major stupidity she did there.

Buddaphlyy
November 25th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Question for fellow members with naturally kinky hair who have had it straightened: I've read a couple articles about how one has to make a choice (or the choice is made for you by relatives) about whether to have chemically-straightened or natural hair. I've also read that having one's natural hair chemically straightened is actually painful (!) because the relaxers are caustic and can burn the scalp. Is this true?

It depends on the scalp, the relaxer, and the person applying it. The choice was first proposed to me as a teen (and I was definitely late compared to my peers) and I took it. I've only had one bad incident with a relaxer and that's because I took it upon myself to do it and not only did I get the wrong strength relaxer, I also applied it wrong and let it sit for too long. Luckily my hair and scalp recovered and after that I decided to only let professionals deal with chemicals on my hair. All my problems with my relaxed hair were of my doing, not the relaxer.

When I decided to go natural, I made the choice for purely practical reasons: my hair and financial health. I don't feel any better or worse about myself because of the state of my hair. I wasn't born with a relaxer and didn't plan to die with one, so going back natural was something I always knew would happen for me.

Now I occasionally wear my hair straightened, but I do it with a pressing comb or flat iron. It still poses some risk to my hair and scalp because of the heat, but I do feel safer doing it this way instead of with chemicals.

loyaboya
November 25th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I have no idea how she can get on her high horse and bemoan fake, synthetic hair, with a wig on her head. I was even more annoyed when she cut that girls hair for Locks of Love. I mean, why not just donate her massive weave/wig collection ...
Ha ha! I totally agree :)

I've also read that having one's natural hair chemically straightened is actually painful (!) because the relaxers are caustic and can burn the scalp. Is this true? I agree with Buddaphlyy's post. Relaxer's are caustic and can burn but you can injure yourself by improperly using anything. It's actually similar to hair dye (to me). Follow the instructions and you'll be fine. But if you leave it on for too long, your scalp will probably be sore. For the most part, if you follow instructions then it just feels like a cream is being applied to your head. I never worried about being injured when I was relaxed. But like everything, the process has evolved. Back in the 40s and 50s (or earlier) it was probably more harmful than it is now.

WyrdWay
November 25th, 2009, 12:41 PM

My hair is mostly 3C and my sisters is mostly 2C, but my mom had 4bish hair. She would try to relax my and my sister's hair back when we were 11 and below. I remember it burning horribly and her telling us to hush when we would complain about the pain... ect. She would also rip through our hair when she would comb it. She basically stopped relaxing us when we started being aloud to dress our selves and do our own hair. I never remember my hair actually being any different after she would give us relaxers.

I'm 22 now and natural other than the coloring that I have done. When I straighten it's with flat iron, and since I started my journey even that hasn't been very often.

Keildra
November 25th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I didn't think about this until last night but one of Tyra's episodes was about looking your age and stuff. One girl (I think she was forced to do this) was complaining that her gorgeous hip length hair was making people think she was a teenager (I think she was in her twenties). Tyra cut off her hair to make her look older. I don't think this girl really wanted her hair cut, or to look older. I know some girls complain about how young they look, I'm 19 I've been told I look 15 I don't mind I have a legal ID saying I'm 19 so no one can do anything about it. but my one question is why would this beautiful girl want to look older...by cutting her hair. She looked like she was about to cry on stage. I felt so bad for her.

Fiferstone
November 25th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Buddaphlyy, Loyaboya, and Wyrdway, thanks for answering my question :flower: I have a friend who used to use JheriCurl back in the 80s and her experience with relaxing (at a salon) had been completely traumatic. Her mother didn't want her to be "nappy" when she was young (about 8, so this would have been around 1970) and what I related was the horror story she told me. I just wondered if it was a common experience still.

misstwist
November 25th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Can we talk about a talk show host with lovely long hair? I used to watch Ananda Lewis just to look at her hair.

Leah Polamalu
November 25th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Can we talk about a talk show host with lovely long hair? I used to watch Ananda Lewis just to look at her hair.

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/6551/65206321.jpg
*drools*

RavennaNight
November 25th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Just wanted to add this haha!

http://img.perezhilton.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/tyra.gif

Is her head going to spin 360 and her eyes roll back into her head? Will she vomit pea soup?

piratejenny23
November 25th, 2009, 11:47 PM
That custom (burning sage) actually started with the pagan religions and was carried onto Christianity.

this is a Christian custom?
i know of this being a Native Americans tradition, and it has been adopted by the "new age" community, but
i never heard of it being a Christian practice. incense, yes; but burning sage to dispel negativity seems too much like magic/witchcraft to be a church-sanctioned practice.
but i've pretty much only known catholics my whole life...is the sage tradition from other denominations? i'd love to know more, thanks!

Keildra
November 25th, 2009, 11:52 PM
i know of this being a Native Americans tradition, and it has been adopted by the "new age" community, but
i never heard of it being a Christian practice. incense, yes; but burning sage to dispel negativity seems too much like magic/witchcraft to be a church-sanctioned practice.
but i've pretty much only known catholics my whole life...is the sage tradition from other denominations? i'd love to know more, thanks!
I grew up in a Pentecostal church and they frowned on burning anything. Including incense and scented candles.

Buddaphlyy
November 26th, 2009, 12:47 AM

Ananda Lewis was one of the most boring talk shows I ever watched. I was not at all surprised when it was cancelled.

I do like her hair though.

Morrighan
November 26th, 2009, 02:31 AM

*Scratches head* Maybe it's not then. I know next to nothing about Christianity. I just assumed it was because of what I've seen on TV. lol. A few years ago I was watching this ghost hunting show and the family wanted a priest (At least I think he was a priest. All black with a white thing at the front neck? See, I'm seriously clueless!) to get rid of the ghost. He went around the house burning sage scented incense. I have no idea what denomination these people were. I think Tyra's "sage" was actually an incense too, but I'm not positive.

I haven't researched in depth about Pagan religions. I consider myself spiritual, but not religious, but have been to Pagan ceremonies of the older western type. Mostly "Druid" ones, for lack of a better term. Not new age or Wiccan. Sometimes they will burn sage incense to get rid of any negativity. They call it Smudging. Because of this I assumed it came from pre-Christian Europe, and then was carried over to Christianity when people converted, like a few other things were.

I knew Wiccans and new agers did it too though. I also thought they picked it up from old Europe and/or Christianity. Maybe I'm wrong though. I just did a very quick scan of a google search and see only mention of Native Americans doing it historically. It would make sense that new agers picked it up from them and then people who practice old European religions took notice and adopted it too. But that wouldn't explain why that priest or Tyra was burning sage or sage incense.

Sorry this didn't really answer your question and for the possible false info. I'm just thinking aloud. For a long time I really thought it was a Christian custom also, but now I'm confused.

vindo
November 26th, 2009, 02:58 AM

Noone knows it? :confused: The holy 3 kings brought "Weihrauch, Salbei und Myrre..", don't know all in English but Salbei ist sage. It's a very old tradition. But I find many christian customs here are much different from Europe...so that may be a reason.

Eeven my husband noticed that, and she constantly keeps talking about her breasts, hair or some other part of her appearance. When she does makeovers she tends to mess up some candidates quite a bit...there was this girl with beautiful full lips and Tyra made them look huge and weird to make them look fuller. The last long haired girl ended up with a 90's style short curled do..wth?

I think she has her heart in the right place but she just isn't that smart. I gave up on her the day I saw her have witches on her show (modern day Wiccans and some who were darker and didn't follow the Rede.) She was so creeped out by them that at the end of the show she just HAD to burn some sage to get the negativity out of the studio. Really? I wonder who else regularly burns sage to remove negativity? Who might it be? Hmm, I wonder......oh yeah, WITCHES. For pete's sake, what a dummy! I about fell off of my couch and ended up throwing a pillow at the TV, it was unbelievable.

By now I simply believe she is rather shallow, maybe not evil but she has her own insecurities and sometimes acts on them..:rolleyes:
I did not see that episode but that sounds plain stupid...she claims she is so big about everyone accepting each other and then she mocks a religion?

I saw that one, and I found that she really provoked her blind dates, and they did not even get out of line that much. That did not prove anything.
In the other one she had some circus where everyone had a different weight...and IMO it die not help people accept each others looks...it made everyone look bad.

But hey...Tyra can be THE show if you need to get out some anger...:p My husband likes watching it before work and then rant about it..weird huh?

WaimeaWahine
November 26th, 2009, 07:15 AM

I'd like to know the source of that. Like Tyra, Oprah often strikes me as trite and disingenuous.

How about Lili Estefan from the El Gordo y la Flaca talk show? Her hair varies in length but it's real. She just seems really sweet and well put together in her appearance. Nice show even when you don't speak any Spanish! :cheese:

UncommonTart
November 26th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Noone knows it? :confused: The holy 3 kings brought "Weihrauch, Salbei und Myrre..", don't know all in English but Salbei ist sage. It's a very old tradition. But I find many christian customs here are much different from Europe...so that may be a reason.

Really? That's during Epiphany, after Jesus was born, right? (Sorry, I'm not sure what "Epiphany" is in German.) I remember being taught that they brought Frankincense, Gold, and Myrrh. I wonder if that's more due to differences in tradition or in translation.

(I really, really don't want to offend anyone, I'm just curious. Really. I was raised within the Anglican Church, but I'm not anymore.)

Demetrue
November 26th, 2009, 03:19 PM
I have to guess that maybe Tyra's natural ethnic traits - like very curly hair, for instance, were not accepted in the modeling world when she started as a young teenager. There were almost no African American models and the ideal was Caucasian, blonde, blue eyed, like Christie Brinkley and Cheryl Tiegs. The images chosen for modeling and advertising make normal, average-looking women feel bad about themselves and then go out and spend their money trying to look like the image in the ad. As a Greek-American child growing up, I felt bad because I had really oily skin, wavy (instead of straight) hair, and a prominant nose (instead of a perfectly straight or cute little nose). I am sure that Tyra was made to feel different and less than acceptable because her hair was not white enough, her nose was too wide, her hips and butt were too big, etc, even though she was a very beautiful young girl. I think she must have learned early on to be a chameleon/quick change artist to survive in the modeling industry.

vindo
November 26th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Uncommon Tart
Yes that was after Jesus was born, the 3 kings brought presents and in a Christmas Tale it is spoken of those inscents, Sage being one of them.
As far as I know in biblical times it was also used as a salve...
I have heard about Gold too! They surely brought a bunch of presents, but there seem to be 2 versions even in Germany..
I think the sage might have been replaced by gold when christianity spread among europe because they were fearing someone would notice the pagan connection?

UncommonTart
November 26th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Uncommon Tart
Yes that was after Jesus was born, the 3 kings brought presents and in a Christmas Tale it is spoken of those inscents, Sage being one of them.
As far as I know in biblical times it was also used as a salve...
I have heard about Gold too! They surely brought a bunch of presents, but there seem to be 2 versions even in Germany..
I think the sage might have been replaced by gold when christianity spread among europe because they were fearing someone would notice the pagan connection?

That makes a great deal of sense to me, and I'd never heard of the sage until now. Thanks! :blossom:

hazelnut
November 28th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Although I don't like bashing people, I will say that lately Tyra has been working my nerves. I don't like the fact that she made that huge deal about taking out her extensions and her weaves and wearing her "natural hair." I was expecting her to come out with curly hair (hair that was ACTUALLY NATURAL) but instead, she walks out with straightened hair and says, "yeah guys, this is my natural hair." WTH?! I can tell you right now that natural hair is not that chemically straightened crap that she walked out on the stage with. It's the hair that you wash and wear. That ticked me off to high heaven. I'm starting to like her show less and less. Especially when she talks about hair and race.:mad

Thinthondiel
November 28th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Really? That's during Epiphany, after Jesus was born, right? (Sorry, I'm not sure what "Epiphany" is in German.) I remember being taught that they brought Frankincense, Gold, and Myrrh. I wonder if that's more due to differences in tradition or in translation.

(I really, really don't want to offend anyone, I'm just curious. Really. I was raised within the Anglican Church, but I'm not anymore.)

Here in Norway, it's gold, incense and myrrh.

Ally<3
November 28th, 2009, 05:12 AM
I just watched a video on youtube entitled "Trya the Hair Butcher". Made me want to cry.

vindo
November 28th, 2009, 05:50 PM
I just watched a video on youtube entitled "Trya the Hair Butcher". Made me want to cry.

That one was very tasteless..especially the "chop it off" song..:rolleyes:

82exoticbeauty
November 28th, 2009, 08:49 PM
For me, I'm not into watching the Tyra Show since there are times she may say something outside of the show even she cares about the people on that show! I rather stick to other talk shows that don't get on my nerves about some person hosting the show have negative vibes about long hair! Especially when they say, "you look alot better with short hair than long hair!" or when they cut it very short to a bob instead of BSL or mid back length, then they can dust that part and can still be almost long hair!

Keildra
November 29th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Oh my goodness I watched all three parts the sad thing is at one cutting part when Tyra was looking away the girl started shaking her head like she knew it was wrong and she didn't want it. The bad thing is that she made a huge stylist mistake and not only didn't listen to the girl but let the audience choose how short it got cut. I want to grow knee length natural hair that way if Tyra tries to come after me with scissors I can slap her with my braid of doom.

Ally<3
November 29th, 2009, 03:18 AM
Also in America's Next Top Model she seems to chop off anyone's natural long hair, and gives extensions to the girls with short hair. And heaven forbid someone doesn't want their hair chopped into a crew cut, they make a huge deal and usually results in that girl going home (missing her hair). I mean... really?

Clarisse
November 29th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Yeah, I saw that in America's Next Top Model too. I felt so sorry for the girls :( Honestly, I think Tyra is jealous - she seems to be so obsessed with hair, almost as though she has some kind of hair ******, but her own hair is dyed, relaxed, short and damaged from wearing extensions.

Buddaphlyy
November 29th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Yeah, I saw that in America's Next Top Model too. I felt so sorry for the girls :( Honestly, I think Tyra is jealous - she seems to be so obsessed with hair, almost as though she has some kind of hair ******, but her own hair is dyed, relaxed, short and damaged from wearing extensions.

You know, when Tyra revealed her real hair on hair show, it actually was not that bad. She had slightly BSL hair that is relaxed, but she was growing out color and it was fairly healthy looking for relaxed hair. Then her stupid hairdresser (I think he is the reason she is crazy about hair) gave her a 3 inch "trim" to APL to get rid of "dead ends".

I don't know if I think Tyra is jealous of other people with long hair, she just finds it hard to believe that people can have long healthy hair by not doing the things she does. That's why I blame her hair dresser for her hair issues. He believes most of the hair myths out there (trimming makes the hair grow, black people can't wash their hair everyday) and feeds them to Tyra and she believes them because he's the "professional".

PhillyGirl1978@
November 29th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I wonder about her. Yeah, why cut off the hair of those with naturally long hair and give extensions to those with short hair...it's ridiculous! And why did no one ever teach that hair dresser of hers the real truth about hair, that it grows from the scalp and what happens on the ends has nothing to do with growth rate! That those extensions are damaging to hair and that wearing them isn't really giving your own hair a break,(like so many girls say) I don't get it!

Keildra
November 29th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I went on the Tyra website and there's a part on there asking for comments on what the next hair show should be. I already went on there and said that she should do a show on growing and maintaining long healthy hair. I don't think her producers will look at any of those comments but I'm hoping that if enough people ask for a show like that it might happen.

theboredelf
November 30th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Keildra, where is that page? I tried to find it and probably looked right past it. I'm so tired of her hypocrisy. She thinks these short, ugly hairstyles are "hot" because they're what the scissor-happy stylists promote. But then she wants to do shows on how to increase your self-esteem and ignore popular stereotypes... I usually end up changing the channel, but almost every other daytime talk show does the same "makeovers." Regis & Kelly did a whole week of them the week before Thanksgiving. Way too much nausea for 9AM.

I think the biggest problem is the "trusted experts." I can't count the number of hair stylists I've met who have a "thing" for cutting long hair short, so they go on to try to talk their clients into pixie cuts no matter what the client looks like. I think Tyra has that "thing." She just takes a certain joy in the suffering of these girls; it's blatant, and sick.

WaimeaWahine
November 30th, 2009, 03:52 AM
I went on the Tyra website and there's a part on there asking for comments on what the next hair show should be. I already went on there and said that she should do a show on growing and maintaining long healthy hair. I don't think her producers will look at any of those comments but I'm hoping that if enough people ask for a show like that it might happen.

I'd be up for a faceless, nameless call for a boycott via You Tube. Link all of us talking with the backs of our heads to the camera, hair down. :eyebrows:

Keildra
December 3rd, 2009, 12:13 AM
I'd be up for a faceless, nameless call for a boycott via You Tube. Link all of us talking with the backs of our heads to the camera, hair down. :eyebrows:

that would work as soon as I get a memory card I'm starting my recordings.
and theboredelf i'm sorry for the life of me I cannot find the link again they probably saw my comment and decided to take it off lest their endorsements of the salon companies fail.

Topaz
December 4th, 2009, 11:51 AM
I work, so I've only ever caught Tyra's show a couple of times. I don't like speaking ill of anyone, but honestly, she seems like one of the stupidist people I've ever seen! I get so annoyed with her "cutesy" antics and her "expertise" on things she clearly knows nothing about, that I just grit my teeth and change the channel. I think if I had to watch a whole episode of her show I'd lose my mind!

Gothic Lolita
December 4th, 2009, 12:16 PM
I sometimes watch ANTM reruns on the German TV and can't decide whom I find dumber. Tyra or Heidi Klum.... they both seem to me like the most annoying persons alive. But I rather watch the AMercian version, this way I can train my English skills.... doesn't mean I like the series. And what they do to these girls... bah. But also in the German series they chop of long hair and give the most rediculous extensions to girl who acutally look very pretty with shorter hair.

heidi w.
December 4th, 2009, 01:34 PM
It's plain as day to me that she thinks she's fierce.

She's fierce alright.

I get it that her business is tough and you have to be tough to make it in this world, but I think she can make the same comments and offer yet better support in a very different way.

The deal is the women in her talent show thing are young and it's plain they just don't know yet, and several have clear issues with personal security and confidence.

PLUS she's been influenced by her industry about what is 'pretty'.

I don't watch her, but over time I've seen enough that it's plain to me she's not all that. Yes, she's attractive to look at; yes, she knows her industry. She has many very helpful comments but they tend to be delivered in a manner that's somehow a little bit mean.

Someday, maybe, she'll understand it's not necessary.

One can only be what they know.

ETA: Also, on this understanding of where hair comes from for wigs. I am stunned that these shows continue to behave this way and tout such poor information. They have all these researchers and somehow, they can't find someone to explain, uh, yeah, hair CAN and DOES grow like that, and has been for a long time. Nor do they ever discover how that hair came to be cut, where it comes from -- such as India in ceremonies, or for money to buy food. What if they treated a cut off arm that way....look at this skimpy arm, and then look at this body builder's arm -- isn't that crazy how big that muscle is!?!! Just crazy.

heidi w.

Buddaphlyy
December 4th, 2009, 02:31 PM
It's plain as day to me that she thinks she's fierce.

She's fierce alright.

I get it that her business is tough and you have to be tough to make it in this world, but I think she can make the same comments and offer yet better support in a very different way.

The deal is the women in her talent show thing are young and it's plain they just don't know yet, and several have clear issues with personal security and confidence.

PLUS she's been influenced by her industry about what is 'pretty'.

I don't watch her, but over time I've seen enough that it's plain to me she's not all that. Yes, she's attractive to look at; yes, she knows her industry. She has many very helpful comments but they tend to be delivered in a manner that's somehow a little bit mean.

Someday, maybe, she'll understand it's not necessary.

One can only be what they know.

ETA: Also, on this understanding of where hair comes from for wigs. I am stunned that these shows continue to behave this way and tout such poor information. They have all these researchers and somehow, they can't find someone to explain, uh, yeah, hair CAN and DOES grow like that, and has been for a long time. Nor do they ever discover how that hair came to be cut, where it comes from -- such as India in ceremonies, or for money to buy food. What if they treated a cut off arm that way....look at this skimpy arm, and then look at this body builder's arm -- isn't that crazy how big that muscle is!?!! Just crazy.

heidi w.

That is something that boggles my mind about Tyra (and other extension/weave wearing celebrities) too. If you can find 14-16 inches of HUMAN HAIR sewn to a track to make you a weave, what is so hard to believe that you as a human can grow 14 inches of your own hair.

burns_erin
December 4th, 2009, 04:30 PM

heidi w.

That is a very good point. And though I am an awful person, I must admit I really did laugh out loud about the arm. Mostly because I could picture her so clearly in my mind doing just that, not because the arm analogy is intrinsically funny.

Gvnagitlvgei
December 4th, 2009, 11:31 PM
I don't know if I think Tyra is jealous of other people with long hair, she just finds it hard to believe that people can have long healthy hair by not doing the things she does. That's why I blame her hair dresser for her hair issues. He believes most of the hair myths out there (trimming makes the hair grow, black people can't wash their hair everyday) and feeds them to Tyra and she believes them because he's the "professional".

Exactly. Didn't they notice that individuals do their own thing? Sigh...I just am sick of it. Even my daughter is sick of Tyra lol.

DarkBotticelli
December 5th, 2009, 01:32 AM
I am glad this came up. I can't stand her. I think she presents such a negative view of womanhood. It's sad really. Today, it's so important to build women up for who they are and to allow many types of beauty especially for young girls. I really saddens me how many young girls today think that the model look is how women are supposed to look and have Tyra Banks as a role model when all she does is cut down natural beauty. She is so fake it irritates the crap out of me. A friend of mine's little sister idolizes her and she is becoming so judgmental of other women.

little_acorn
December 5th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Those clips of 'Tyra the hair butcher' were pretty awful - it was really tragic to watch - but if you volunteer to go on stage with her then surely you must have some idea and be up for it...

lillithnight
December 10th, 2009, 06:38 AM
I would volunteer but then we would have a dead tyra. why? because she would try to cut my barely bob length curls and coils, if not relax them to. No thanks. I work hard to care for my hair.

alys
December 10th, 2009, 08:21 AM
I am unable to watch Tyra, though I can't say I despise her or anything. I just don't think I can stomach her. She has no idea what it's like to live in the real world. On one hand she tries to teach women and grils to embrace thier size and shape and hair, and while that hand is busy building the hypocrite's palace, the other hand is gluing fake hair to her scalp and refuting her own 'fat' pictures that surfaced in Enquirer a few years ago...Which is it Tyra? That's all I have to say to her :) And I am no way trying to say the larger or smaller is better in size. I actually don't give a poo what people look like on the outside. But I found it funny that she freaked when the world thought she was 'fat'.

Shiva
December 10th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I occasionally watch Tyra Banks but I find her behavior and attitude towards hair disturbing sometimes. It seems to me that she has some issues with her feelings about her own hair although she tries to portray herself as loving her natural hair.

honeybrown1976
December 13th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Tyra irritates me when she "n-erizes" (think long about that one) her speech when talking to Black people then Buffie's it all up when talking to Caucasian people. Sigh. I hate that. Then she shakes her booty and does all other nonsense as though to say it's something Black people do. GAWD! Tyra, read a book, PLEASE!!!! I actually preferred her toilet/colonics show over the hair shows. I don't care about her weaves, wigs, lace-fronts etc. Please, just read a book and stop iggin your speech when you address people who are brown...damnit!

Excuse me, what?