PDA

View Full Version : Long Hair Compliment and Sighting

SupermanSeven
November 20th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I've been working at a store called, Hollister for the past 4 years and the majority of women customers that shop there wear their hair short. Today wasn't very busy and I was by the register when a woman approached me to do an exchange. I quickly acknowledged her and she was incredibly nice to me. Most customers when they have a return they just want to get in and get out. She wanted to know what I thought of the jeans she bought her son. When I was exchanging the jeans, I noticed her hair because she was looking at our video wall of the ocean. She had long brown wavy hair about classic length! I was so suprised! During the return I was nervous (I'm quite shy) because I really wanted to tell her how beautiful her hair was. I finally worked up enough courage to say that I thought her hair was beautiful. She replied with a Thank You, and a smile! She told me she never blow drys or straightens her hair and I told her that its a shame more woman don't grow their hair long anymore. She said her daughter had cut her hair short and was in the process of trying to grow it long like again like her Mom's. I asked her how long she had been growing it and if she was going to grow it longer? She said she had always had long hair and the shortest its been is about rip cage length. She said she will let it grow as long as it stays healthy. She was an incredibly nice lady, and I hope she comes in the store again in the future :)

little_acorn
November 20th, 2009, 01:15 PM
:D thats great - I so struggle to make the compliments that I'd like to when I see people with gorgeous long hair

camirra555
November 20th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Aww that's a nice story! If she comes back you should tell her about this site

SupermanSeven
November 20th, 2009, 02:06 PM
:D thats great - I so struggle to make the compliments that I'd like to when I see people with gorgeous long hair

I'm soo glad I did. I hope I made her day, because she made mine.
If I can do it, so can you!

SupermanSeven
November 20th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Aww that's a nice story! If she comes back you should tell her about this site

Thanks! I was just so surprised by her hair it sort of took my breath away. I really hope she does come back and hopefully her hair might be little longer :) I will tell her about the community.

Beatnik Guy
November 20th, 2009, 03:19 PM
That's great! I'm sure it'll be easier next time you want to compliment someone's hair too. :)

SupermanSeven
November 20th, 2009, 05:22 PM
That's great! I'm sure it'll be easier next time you want to compliment someone's hair too. :)

I contemplated talking to her about her hair because I was in a professional environment, but I just couldn't help myself. I was a little bit afraid of what her reaction might be, but it was definitely the best one I could have gotten. In the future I won't hesitate to tell a woman with long hair it is beautiful and be an advocate for long hair.

JamieLeigh
November 24th, 2009, 09:37 AM
That's awesome! It's great, too, that she was very nice about the compliment. Some women with long hair (especially a life-long grower, like herself) don't react well to compliments, because they've either had a bad experience or they're just plain sick and tired of the attention. Kudos to you for having the courage to admire out loud! :)

SupermanSeven
November 28th, 2009, 08:59 AM
That's awesome! It's great, too, that she was very nice about the compliment. Some women with long hair (especially a life-long grower, like herself) don't react well to compliments, because they've either had a bad experience or they're just plain sick and tired of the attention. Kudos to you for having the courage to admire out loud! :)

Thanks Ms. Jamie! When I first started talking to her, she was smiling so I think that helped her be a lot more approachable. I would like to provide a happy long hair environment and encourage others to grow their hair as long as possible.

HeatherJenae
November 28th, 2009, 09:42 AM
That's awesome! I bet you made her day. You're a lot braver than me, I usually chicken out when thinking of complimenting someone on their hair. I don't know why, I guess I'm just nervous about what their reaction would be (thinking I'm a total weirdo!), so you rock for having the guts to tell her! :)

Yozhik
November 28th, 2009, 09:48 AM
That's really cool! Hopefully your good experience will make me able to do the same :)
I saw a woman on the metro the other day with beautiful long spiraling hair, but as it was during commuting rush, I didn't feel comfortable complimenting her in earshot of 30 other people :(

SupermanSeven
November 28th, 2009, 10:10 AM
That's awesome! I bet you made her day. You're a lot braver than me, I usually chicken out when thinking of complimenting someone on their hair. I don't know why, I guess I'm just nervous about what their reaction would be (thinking I'm a total weirdo!), so you rock for having the guts to tell her! :)

I knew I'd regret it if I didn't say anything to her. I'd probably go through the whole day thinking, "What if?" Being a male complementing a woman's long hair feels strange at first, but it just felt so right because it came from the heart. It was a genuine compliment rather then the "Oh I like your hair." Thank you!:)

SupermanSeven
November 28th, 2009, 10:14 AM
That's really cool! Hopefully your good experience will make me able to do the same :)
I saw a woman on the metro the other day with beautiful long spiraling hair, but as it was during commuting rush, I didn't feel comfortable complimenting her in earshot of 30 other people :(

I definitely encourage you do the same! :) I can understand about not wanting to blurt your feelings out. My manager (who has short bleached blond hair) was not far away when I was talking with this lady with long hair and I was a little afraid she might have something to say to me. The reward outweights the risk. To be honest I shouldn't care what other people think. Thanks for sharing :)

mglmdvd
November 28th, 2009, 01:02 PM
It's great that you complimented her in a way that came across well. I think how you say it is as important as what you say. I always try to compliment women and men with nice-looking long hair in a way that I think they'll like.

truwave
November 28th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I totally get the same shyness when I really want to compliment someone. Its good for both yourself and the complimnetee when you get over yourself sometimes;).

InTheCity
November 29th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Good for you working up the courage! It was nice for her to hear but also benefited you. I'm about 98% outgoing yet didn't find the courage when I saw a dude in a very urban setting with waist length hair. I desperately wanted to compliment him for being different and for the courage it undoubtedly takes to fend off haters.

SupermanSeven
November 29th, 2009, 11:51 AM
It's great that you complimented her in a way that came across well. I think how you say it is as important as what you say. I always try to compliment women and men with nice-looking long hair in a way that I think they'll like.

It took me a good 5 minutes while I was looking for jeans to try and figure out what I would say to her. It came out as, "I just wanted to say you have some of the most beautiful long hair I've ever seen." After I said it her reaction was followed by "Why Thank You! I never blow dry it or straighten it." After that the conversation began. I'm happy you encourage others also :)

SupermanSeven
November 29th, 2009, 11:54 AM
I totally get the same shyness when I really want to compliment someone. Its good for both yourself and the complimnetee when you get over yourself sometimes;).

Oh no doubt :) I didn't feel weird at all being a 22-y/o male complimenting an older woman's hair gorgeous hair. Hopefully this encourages more woman to grow their hair long and not conform to Hollywood's version of long hair. Thanks!

SupermanSeven
November 29th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Good for you working up the courage! It was nice for her to hear but also benefited you. I'm about 98% outgoing yet didn't find the courage when I saw a dude in a very urban setting with waist length hair. I desperately wanted to compliment him for being different and for the courage it undoubtedly takes to fend off haters.

Being a male with long hair does attract a lot of people with negative attitudes. People should learn to except others for who they are. For me its an incredible turn-on when I see a woman with very long hair. I'm pretty shy, so it is hard to always find the courage. Hopefully you'll see him again, and then you can go for it!