PDA

View Full Version : Clarifying with dish soap before henna

Sister13
November 20th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Ladies who advised me to do this:

Thank you again. It's been brilliant. I find bar kitchen soap like Octagon cleans and lathers best. The lemony, green or other dish liquids are okay but don't lather and get the job done as well.

I always assumed shampoos and soaps were all bad for my skin and hair. So I wouldn't get the cleaning done as well. Thanks for opening my eyes to the sulfate problem. And to conditioner washing for maintenance.

I have the cleanest scalp in years. The colour rocks, hair feels so nice and no more chemicals.

:cheese:

CailinNua
November 20th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Could you tell me why you use dish soap? I did use it once before hennaing and it got my hair squeaky clean but I'm pretty sure it had sulfates in it. Thinking about it, I got better results that time so maybe it's something I should be doing each time I henna. We don't have that brand over here and I don't think I've ever seen any bar dish soap. Any pointers on what to look out for would be welcome.

duckish
November 20th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Hmm, this is interesting. Do you think a clarifying shampoo would have a similar effect?

Sister13
November 20th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I used the VO5 clarifying shampoo before my first coupla hennas. First time CWC. Second time, vigorous shampoo only twice but I still had spots where the henna didn't take.

Then I posted here for help and the ladies suggested the dish soap.

Another bar kitchen soap is Rokeach kosher brand. In the US, it's usually on the bottom shelf either in the cleaning product aisle or underneath the Ivory and other body care bar soap. Cheap, too. 89 cents or a dollar.

(I buy the bar soaps cuz I hate how much you hafta rinse the lemon stuff off your dishes so they don't taste flike chemical lemon flavor. Also, I went to a convent school where we used the bar soap to clean up after art class. ):pumpkin:

CailinNua
November 20th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Thanks, I think I'll give it a go next time I henna. Must pay more attention to the bottom shelves in the cleaning aisle!

duckish
November 20th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Yes, thanks a lot Sister13! At the very least, it should be interesting. :D