PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice

flutterbudget
November 19th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Ok, so I'm new here and a bad thing has happened to my hair and I need some thoughts on what to do for it.

First, some background. My hair is about to my tailbone, super straight and fine. I chemically color it fairly infrequently (every three or four months on average) a couple shades darker than my natural color. I otherwise treat it pretty well and it was in pretty good shape. If there is anything else pertinent, please let me know and I'll be glad to give more details.

Now, the bad thing that happened... Several days ago while I was in the shower my landlord shocked our well with chlorine, having forgotten to call and warn us ahead of time. It was like someone poured a bottle of bleach on my head. It was so strong that the water felt slippery. It burned my eyes and hurt my lungs and it was awful. It was an hour before I could get to my in-laws' and shower in fresh water. I have peeling skin on my hands, it was so caustic. As you can imagine, my hair is unhappy. I have washed and conditioned (and conditioned and conditioned) twice since then. I could tell right away that it faded my color, but after washing again this morning it seems even more faded and orange-ier. And it is very very dry. At first it felt like straw and I couldn't comb through it. Repeated conditioning has helped a lot, but it is still yucky.

So. What I'm hoping for is ideas/suggestions for deep conditioning or other treatments that might help. And your opinions on what to do about the color. I really want to fix it but I'm afraid to do more damage. Should I color it and then focus on treating the dryness? Or try to get it happier and then color it? Or just live with the bad color until... when? Also, I think probably a trim is in order, but would like to hear if you agree.

Sorry for the long newbie post, and thanks in advance for your help.

flutterbudget
November 19th, 2009, 11:57 PM
And I just realized that this is not the section I meant to post in. But it doesn't seem that I can delete this thread, so hopefully someone will move it if that is appropriate. Sorry. It's late here. :o

Cherry_Sprinkle
November 20th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Check out the SMT thread on the 'important links' thread and try that. I would SMT over night and then heavy oil the next morning, keep it pinned, up then try CO'ing for awhile. It will probably make your hair feel oily and heavy but it should help getting some moisture back in there. I would also S&D the ends and any splits you see get rid of them.

when I SMT I leave on for as long as I can stand it or overnight. I would also advise you to not use a lot of shampoo and when you do use it, dilute the shampoo with distilled or filtered water. HTH :flower: Sorry to hear you had to go through that, it sounds just awful!

RancheroTheBee
November 20th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Check out the SMT thread on the 'important links' thread and try that. I would SMT over night and then heavy oil the next morning, keep it pinned, up then try CO'ing for awhile. It will probably make your hair feel oily and heavy but it should help getting some moisture back in there. I would also S&D the ends and any splits you see get rid of them.

when I SMT I leave on for as long as I can stand it or overnight. I would also advise you to not use a lot of shampoo and when you do use it, dilute the shampoo with distilled or filtered water. HTH :flower: Sorry to hear you had to go through that, it sounds just awful!

I second this.

Also, I will also say that I'm so sorry that happened to you! That sounds awful. :( Are you okay now, though?

And welcome. :)

JCFantasy23
November 20th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Wow, I would be SO angry. Even your hands were peeling? Sounds like pretty bad negligence to me.

I would NOT color it yet but make sure my hair is happy again first. It just had chemicals put on it that it's reacting to and topping with more chemicals right after won't help. I would do the deep moisturing SMT treatment others are recommending, or another you like, and get it moisturized again first.

Sorry to hear this happened to you too, but on a lighter note - welcome to the forums!

flutterbudget
November 20th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Thanks guys, I will certainly check out that post. I haven't had a chance to get through all the important threads yet.

Yes, I am ok. Some itchy dry skin, and I actually had a cough for a couple days, but nothing lasting other than my poor hair.

manderly
November 20th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Oh dear! That sounds awful!

Well, I second the advice already given, but I'd also like to suggest you get a large bottle or two of club soda and rinse your hair with it like crazy. We had a thread about club soda rinsing out chlorine and doing something with removing molecules, blah blah. LOL. I'm sure it'll pop up in a search, but I'm going to assume you probably have some chlorine still stuck in your hair at this point, so doing that and then following with some really intensive deep moisture and maybe even some protein treatments (I would think if the chlorine broke down your skin it would have the same effect on your hair).

Aphogee is a good restructurizer and you can get it at Sallys. Just be sure to follow any protein with a ton of moisture :)

Glad to hear you're ok. Has your landlord done anything to make up for this? It's really gross negligence.

Arctic
November 20th, 2009, 04:02 AM
You will need a chelating shampoo to get rid of any chlorine that is still there. Normal shampoos, or even clarifying shampoos unfortunately won't do that.

rchorr
November 20th, 2009, 08:54 AM
OMG! I'm SO sorry this happened to you. I'd be royally p***** at my landlord!

I would use a clarifying (chealating) shampoo and LOTS of conditioner. Also, if you're not allergic, I'd use LOTS of aloe gel on your skin! The aloe gel also works on your scalp. I dilute it 1/2 and 1/2 with water and spritz it on my scalp.

I hope you don't have any asthma problems. That might have killed me.

I'm sending positive energy your way.

RCHORR'

SHELIAANN1969
November 20th, 2009, 08:58 AM
I keep thinking, what if this had been a child in the shower? :bigeyes:

I know having a well is tricky, but these things need to be communicated properly and I would consider raising holy hell with the landlord over chemical burns.

:grouphug:

linda g
November 20th, 2009, 09:06 AM
What a horrible thing to happen! I don't have any new advice to offer, just :grouphug:

Isa-belle
November 20th, 2009, 09:10 AM
A good, long, heavy SMT is a great idea.

What happened to you is awful and you have every right to be really, really mad at the landlord.
:grouphug:

Welcome to LHC!

Anje
November 20th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Wow that's awful! Citric acid is chelating, if you find that before you can find a chelating shampoo. (Asian/Indian food stores tend to have it, and I think it's in a lot of those products meant to keep fruit from changing color when you've cut it up.)

I can't help but think maybe you should get to a doctor, and/or have someone take pictures of your body, your peeling skin, your hair (especially if it suffers more). I don't want to sound litigious, but if this hurt you, it may have also hurt other tenants, and you have a right not to get chemical burns when you take a shower!

Shermie Girl
November 20th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Sheeit! Your landlord really dropped the ball. Forgetting to tell you about a shock is absolutely unacceptable and I hope that he is doing something to make it up to you. Something like a free month or two of rent, perhaps? :patrol:

Your poor skin and hair. For your skin, lots of gentle moisturiser and a very mild soap for a while should help. For your hair, I suggest chelating it to remove the chlorine, then a deep protein treatment (under a heating cap, if you have one) followed up by a deep moisture treatment. Always follow protein with moisture, to avoid crunchy hair.

You may need to do frequent deep moisture treatments until your hair recovers a bit. After it does, you should be good to go ahead and colour your hair to get it back to the right shade.

JamieLeigh
November 20th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Wow!! :grouphug: I'm so sorry you're having to go through this...If you went to the doctor at any time during your suffering, I'd definitely have the bills sent to your landlord. That sounds like grounds to sue if this person doesn't make it up to you in some tangible way. I agree with another previous poster - what if that had been a child in the shower?? :(

I would second the advice for as much moisture as possible, after you get the remainder of the chlorine out of your hair. SMT, deep conditioning, oiling...all of these would definitely be prescribed in your situation. I hope things work out for you soon, and welcome to the site. :flower:

Medievalmaniac
November 20th, 2009, 10:18 AM
I'm so sorry, what a horrible experience. I would also second what everyone else has said, and especially about taking pictures of the damage. That is gross negligewnce, and your landlord needs to be held accountable. What if that had been a 2 year old child, with new skin, in the tub? It could have done lasting damage. :(

florenonite
November 20th, 2009, 11:20 AM
. As you can imagine, my hair is unhappy. I have washed and conditioned (and conditioned and conditioned) twice since then. I could tell right away that it faded my color, but after washing again this morning it seems even more faded and orange-ier. And it is very very dry. At first it felt like straw and I couldn't comb through it. Repeated conditioning has helped a lot, but it is still yucky.

Have you spoken to your landlord about what happened? That is really, totally unacceptable and something should be done about it.

Because you've said that your hair is more orange than it was before, I'm wondering if your hair's red? If so, you might be able to do a henna gloss. It's moisturising, very good for hair, and deposits a bit of red colour. However, henna can be very, very permanent, so don't do it lightly. And only do it if you want reddish-orange hair.

Other than that, I find that baking soda (usually 1T dissolved in a cup of water) followed by shampoo/condition works well to get rid of chlorine. Washing with a conditioner containing EDTA works well, too.

little_acorn
November 20th, 2009, 12:08 PM
:grouphug: so sorry to hear about your situation, everyone has already given some good advice so I;m just going to say welcome to the LHC

flutterbudget
November 20th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Thanks for all the help and welcomes!

And thanks for all the suppotive outrage. ;) I was totally po'ed at first and I am still angry. I thought about going to a doctor, but I could tell pretty quickly that I was going to be ok. My skin is doing much better already, and the peeling on my hands has stopped today. I'm just still worried about my hair. But I'm making a trip to Sally's this afternoon and I'm going to spend the weekend soaking it in nice things. The thing that really freaked me out was that right before I got in the shower I was debating whether I should go first, or put my two-year-old little guy in before me. :bigeyes: I'm SO glad it was me and not him! The landlord has apologized and checked in to see if I was ok. Apparently he was out of town and asked the handyman-guy to do it around eleven at night, but he did it at seven instead, and there was some miscommunication about who was supposed to call and let us know, blah blah blah. There are only four units and we were the only ones home last weekend when it happened. He's a nice guy and I know it was just a mistake, but my sister-in-law is a lawyer and if I have any permanent problems I may have a chat with her...

Anyway, my hair is (normally) dark brown with red undertones. I'll see if I can find and post a picture of the color. It has always had reddish tendancies. Any attempt at lightening (highlighting or even time in the sun) has always brought out some red. I had actually wondered if henna would help me, but I've never used it and I'm very intimidated by it, and I don't know what would happen if I hated it and wanted to go back to chem colors? I don't mind some red, or copper, But I'm not a big fan of the burgundy and I prefer my hair on the darker side, if that helps any. I'm sure the color right now isn't as bad as I think. My husband assures me that it's still a color that could be found in nature. No one seems to be pointing and whispering when I go out in public. But I'm not liking it. I decided today to call it "burnt mud". :cool:

Fractalsofhair
November 20th, 2009, 01:07 PM
You could use henna and indigo depending on how dark you want your hair finally? If you hate henna, there's nothing you can really do unless you want to go darker, in which case you might have some luck with a deposit only dye like manic panic, or even a regular dye if you use a very dark color to change the tone. However, if it ends up too dark, there's really not all that much you can do. If you bleach it to white(on virgin hair), you'll get a neon orange at best.

Also, in terms of advice. CO Washing might be very helpful. That sounds horrid, and I'm glad you're better. Your hair might be mad at you for a little while. I'd suggest using a vinegar rinse as well to lay the cuticle down and doing a final rinse in cold water for a while. Oiling a lot might be a good idea. I would suggest taking photos of the burns if you want to talk to a lawyer later to show that they're caused by the Cl.

I'd suggest waiting about 3-4 weeks to dye it, and use a semi permanent for the next few dyes. They tend to be gentler.

I would strongly suggest asking your landlord to pay for hair treatments and some skin care products if you don't think they'll be any lasting damage. Hair is worth money, and longer hair can sell for several hundred dollars(If somewhat undamaged, and to wig making companies), so $50 or so towards products is certainly not going to hurt, along with the fact that your skin is delicate and it causes pain otherwise. If he's a nice guy, he might be willing to pay that little amount. However, only do so after you're sure there's no lasting damage. Because otherwise, you might forfeit your right to sue about those things. Perhaps asking him to refund the cost after you're sure you're safe might be a good idea?

flutterbudget
November 20th, 2009, 01:17 PM
I've never been able to make CO work for me. It always ends up feeling coarse and tangly, as well as oily. Maybe I'm not doing it right?

flutterbudget
November 20th, 2009, 01:33 PM
And this is the best pic I can find of my color. Apparently I have like no pictures of my hair. :rolleyes: I'll have to take some of the yucky color and hopefully some good ones after its feeling all better again.
This is inside with a flash.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/raptor4a/100_1250_1.jpg

rogue_psyche
November 20th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Lots of good advice has been given about your hair already. I always recommend Sally's knockoff of Biolage Conditioning Balm for any situation where lots of moisture is needed. Aloe Vera Gel will help both your skin and hair, but make sure you get the pure stuff with no alcohols or numbing ingredients.

I guess it isn't really my business but I think you should complain to your landlord. Show them the burns on your skin and ask for a little off the rent. Chances are they will keep doing things like this if nobody complains.

flutterbudget
November 20th, 2009, 02:50 PM
This isn't a very good pic either and I don't know if you can really tell, but I tried to duplicate the lighting in the other picture so th difference would show.

This is today.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/raptor4a/100_1356.jpg

Darkhorse1
November 20th, 2009, 05:33 PM
I would DEFINATLY tell your landlord and take photos of the burns. I think some months of free accomidations are in order because that could have resulted in permanent damage to your eyes etc.

I would try either a conditioner or oil, slather over your hair dry, then use saran wrap and leave on for about 20 mins. Then, wash as usual. Let time allow the oil or conditioner to absorb into the hair--since the bleach most likely opened up the cuticle, it will allow for fast acting absorbing.

Hugs to you--your hair looks gorgeous, but of course, it's what you are used to. And a beautiful little one too!!!

Darkhorse1
November 20th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Just to add, one product I SWEAR by, but has lots of cones in it, is Joico's leave in detangling conditioner. I've been using that with Herbal Essence rose conditioner and the results are amazing. I work outdoors/in the elements and my ends get pretty dry. I''m finding the Joico conditioner (it's a leave in spray called "Integrity") with the HE conditioner has really, really improved my hair. Both will leave build up over time, but I think it may be worth a shot. I wish I could send you some for you to try! :D I have a HUGE bottle of integrity that I use to refill my spray bottle :)

flutterbudget
November 20th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Ok, I spent $50 at Sally's and they are now also angry at my landlord. :p

So far, I have completed a chelating treatment. On my agenda for tomorrow is the aphogee protein treatment which I intend to follow with SMT overnight. But I'm a little nervous about the protein treatment. I haven't used it before, but I understand it dries very hard. Do I have to actually use a blowdryer, or can I let it airdry? And I'm assuming that I can't pile it up to let this helmet thing happen, right?

Oh! And thanks Darkhorse! I'm pretty proud of the little one myself. :D

Darkhorse1
November 20th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Give that bill to your landlord. When my heat went out in the middle of December and it took 10 days to get it functional, they paid for my heater and electric blanket. Good landlords will accomidate their tennants.

I'm just disgusted he did not leave notes on your answering machines or somehow got in touch with you--what if that had been your little one? Her skin is probably much more delicate---there could have been irreperable damage to your whole family.

flutterbudget
November 21st, 2009, 12:05 PM
My husband is going to try to talk to him about it. But if it comes down to it I'm not sure it's worth getting on bad terms witht the landlord. We'll see...

Anyway, about the aphogee. In addition to what I mentioned earlier, it says to comb it trough. But unless its pretty slippery, I doubt I'll be able to do that. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for me on this goop?

manderly
November 21st, 2009, 04:10 PM
It never said to comb it through on my directions :confused:

I just kind of do a pour, squish over a bowl in the tub application, try to squish it through as best as possible, then you have to blowfry it until it's solid stiff. Then rinse it out :)

longhairedfairy
November 21st, 2009, 06:11 PM
I still think going to the doc (and giving the landlord the bill) would be best. I'm so sorry that happened to you. Thank goodness it wasn't your little one! :grouphug:

GoddesJourney
November 21st, 2009, 07:36 PM
Protein is affected by chlorine. Protein pack?

flutterbudget
November 22nd, 2009, 03:47 PM
Well, its definitely better than it was.

The color started to look better after the chelating. It's still lighter and different than it was, but not as bright or "orangey", and I think I don't hate it.

I did the I did the aphogee (applied with a spray bottle to make sure I got it evenly distributed) and then SMT under a shower cap for 10 hours. Rinsed it out and conditioned again and let it air dry.

Its definitely smoother and shinier than it was. It still feels a little coarser than normal, and more tangly. I'm thinking it might still need more moisturizing to balance the protein. But its getting better. :D

florenonite
November 23rd, 2009, 12:08 AM
Given your pre-chlorine colour, I think a henna gloss might help you. Something like 1T henna in a cup of conditioner, left on for an hour (read Nightshade's henna article in the articles section). Do a strand test, either on hair from your brush if you've got enough post-chlorine hair there, or else on an inconspicuous part of your head, and if it's the colour you're after, I think it would both help the colour and your hair's condition.

nougat
November 23rd, 2009, 12:25 AM
Oh my goodness! I'm glad you didn't suffer any worse injuries! And that your child wasn't in there when it happened!! D:

Sorry that I don't have anything helpful to add... :o

flutterbudget
November 26th, 2009, 08:43 PM
I've done some more deep conditioning. And I trimmed 1.5 inches. I think its looking (and feeling) pretty good today. I'm hoping I can keep it happy. Here's a pic from this evening after we got home from dinner with family.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/raptor4a/100_1359.jpg
It looks darker in that picture than it really is, especially at the bottom. I do think the ends are a bit darker than the rest, but not as much darker as it looks there. I'm thinking about trying the henna gloss. But I think I'll wait a bit and see how it goes before I do anything else to it.

Thanks again for all the help!

angelthadiva
November 26th, 2009, 09:24 PM
OMG, you poor creature! Is this what led you here? If yes, at least one good thing came out of such an unfortunate situation. :flower:

I think your hair looks fantastic :thumbsup: The color and shine is so rich and glassy!

I echo previous posters in seeking medical treatment, take pictures (just in case some future problems develop as a result), the landlord should compensate for medical treatments and your out of pocket expenses for fixing your hair. And look into getting a rent reduction, these are the least he can do!

flutterbudget
November 26th, 2009, 09:43 PM
OMG, you poor creature! Is this what led you here? If yes, at least one good thing came out of such an unfortunate situation. :flower:

I think your hair looks fantastic :thumbsup: The color and shine is so rich and glassy!

Yeah, I found this site searching google for what to try. And thanks so much!

Darkhorse1
November 26th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Your hair is GORGEOUS! I do understand that camera flashes change the color though in photos.

How are you feeling? I mean, the smell of chlorine is also very nauseating and the pain you must have had on your skin--are you doing ok?? Health wise?

flutterbudget
November 27th, 2009, 08:23 AM
How are you feeling? I mean, the smell of chlorine is also very nauseating and the pain you must have had on your skin--are you doing ok?? Health wise?

I'm feeling much better. No lingering effects that I can tell. Thanks!

I'll try to get a photo in natural light one of these days. Maybe this weekend.

Darkhorse1
November 27th, 2009, 09:31 AM
I'm so glad you are ok! I think your hair is gorgeous!! Camera flash or natural light, it's stunning :)

flutterbudget
November 27th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Aww, thanks! :oops:

halo_tightens
November 27th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Hi flutterbudget,

If you do decide that you'd like to try a henna gloss, and you don't feel like ordering a big package of henna just for that, let me know and I can send you a small amount. It only takes a few tablespoons of henna to do a gloss, and I can easily put some in a little package and mail it to you. I'm right next door in Illinois.

I'm not pressuring you to henna, lol! I just wanted to give you the option of trying the gloss without having to buy a big bunch of henna. :)

flutterbudget
November 27th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Hi flutterbudget,

If you do decide that you'd like to try a henna gloss, and you don't feel like ordering a big package of henna just for that, let me know and I can send you a small amount. It only takes a few tablespoons of henna to do a gloss, and I can easily put some in a little package and mail it to you. I'm right next door in Illinois.

I'm not pressuring you to henna, lol! I just wanted to give you the option of trying the gloss without having to buy a big bunch of henna. :)

Oh, thank you so much for the offer! I will keep that in mind. I think I just want to live with it for a week or two and see how I am feeling about it and how it acts and stuff.