PDA

View Full Version : Brushing with conditioner in shower?

Diamondbell
November 19th, 2009, 10:17 PM
I read this on one of the comments on Youtube from someone:

"I have hair almost to the back of my knees because I found out that most womens' hair stop growing at a certain point without further stimulation. If you brush your hair out in the shower with lots of conditioner, you'll see a significant improvement."

Is that possible? I thought brushing hair in shower was not good for hair?! :confused:

Quixii
November 19th, 2009, 10:20 PM
I know a lot of wurly-curlies like me brush in the shower with conditioner because we either can't or can't without a lot of damage brush our dry hair, but I don't know if it actually makes an improvement for everyone. :shrug:

JCFantasy23
November 19th, 2009, 10:50 PM
My hair would freak out I'm sure. It hates anything done to it when it's wet. I hear the breaking sound, ugh. I also seem to accidentally break some of my hairs in the bath or shower just washing it.

Merewen
November 19th, 2009, 10:54 PM
I comb with conditioner in the shower. I really would not BRUSH in the shower, though. I have to be really careful just combing because if it snags and the tangle doesn't come out, it pulls the hair and it stretches.

ericthegreat
November 19th, 2009, 11:09 PM
A person that can grow their hair down to their knees has the genes necessary to allow for such super long hair. However, if you are talking about the average person, they will have a hair life cycle of 6 years. A 6 year life cycle will translate to 3ft of hair respectively, and 3ft falls around waist to hip length on a person of average height. Some people's hair cycles are even shorter, and thus their terminal lengths will be shorter as well. So no matter what kind of special techniques these people do to care for their hair, they simply won't be able to grow their hair past their genetically determined length.

About brushing wet hair in the shower, I would say that is a total NO NO NO! When I apply conditioner for my nightly CO rinse, I only use my wide tooth and gently comb out my hair to detangle it, but I certainly would never use something as tightly spaced as a brush! I think whoever this woman is that does so is simply genetically blessed to be able to grow her hair so long, that even doing something that is technically so very wrong does not damage her hair.

Cat Lady
November 19th, 2009, 11:11 PM
I find this a bit confusing. I use a body shop wooden bristle massage brush and brush my scalp dry, before I wash it. Obviously with this brush I can't brush wet hair with conditioner in the shower. My hair is wurly. Am I destroying my hair brushing it dry without conditioner? I felt like I wasn't doing any damage at all, plus it feels nice.

What I am really confused about was the idea of brushing it wet, because wouldn't that stretch the strands and potentially do permanent damage? Or does the conditioner prevent that?

Cat Lady
November 19th, 2009, 11:13 PM
A person that can grow their hair down to their knees has the genes necessary to allow for such super long hair. However, if you are talking about the average person, they will have a hair life cycle of 6 years. A 6 year life cycle will translate to 3ft of hair respectively, and 3ft falls around waist to hip length on a person of average height. Some people's hair cycles are even shorter, and thus their terminal lengths will be shorter as well. So no matter what kind of special techniques these people do to care for their hair, they simply won't be able to grow their hair past their genetically determined length.

About brushing wet hair in the shower, I would say that is a total NO NO NO! When I apply conditioner for my nightly CO rinse, I only use my wide tooth and gently comb out my hair to detangle it, but I certainly would never use something as tightly spaced as a brush! I think whoever this woman is that does so is simply genetically blessed to be able to grow her hair so long, that even doing something that is technically so very wrong does not damage her hair.

I agree with ETG. That's what I thought! (You just worded it better :))

Flynn
November 19th, 2009, 11:14 PM

Think you might want to jump over to the wurly/curly thread to warn them about that one, then...

Nera
November 19th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Hm... It's not a NO, It depends on your hairtype!
For me it's simply impossible to detangle my (dreadlock-like) hair when it's dry... If I'd do that, I'd do more damage then when I brush it when it's wet, but for finer hairs it's probably not a good idea.

Roseate
November 19th, 2009, 11:22 PM
I find this a bit confusing. I use a body shop wooden bristle massage brush and brush my scalp dry, before I wash it. Obviously with this brush I can't brush wet hair with conditioner in the shower. My hair is wurly. Am I destroying my hair brushing it dry without conditioner? I felt like I wasn't doing any damage at all, plus it feels nice.

What I am really confused about was the idea of brushing it wet, because wouldn't that stretch the strands and potentially do permanent damage? Or does the conditioner prevent that?

If it works for you, not a problem. Many wurlies avoid dry brushing not because of the damage, but because it pulls out the curl and makes their hair all crazy poofy and frizzy. Dry brushing doesn't damage my hair, it just makes me look like a Christmas tree! Triangle head galore. But since you're doing it right before you wash anyway, who cares!

Tighter curlies sometimes get the bristles stuck in their curls=breakage, so they can't brush dry for damage reasons as well as poofy reasons.

I do use my denman brush to distribute my leave-in through damp hair; it's a very gentle brush and I know many curlies use this kind of brush in the shower with conditioner. It doesn't seem any more aggressive than my wide-tooth comb. I can't imagine it's actually the secret to knee-length hair though! That's mostly genes and patience!

peachrose
November 19th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I find I shed a lot less if I detangle with conditioner it the shower. I don't use a brush but for my hairtype it's less breakage than combing when dry. Maybe that's what the youtube person was getting at?

pdy2kn6
November 19th, 2009, 11:31 PM
That sounds deadly, I would hate to even think of the damage it would do to my own hair

Cat Lady
November 19th, 2009, 11:35 PM
If it works for you, not a problem. Many wurlies avoid dry brushing not because of the damage, but because it pulls out the curl and makes their hair all crazy poofy and frizzy. Dry brushing doesn't damage my hair, it just makes me look like a Christmas tree! Triangle head galore. But since you're doing it right before you wash anyway, who cares!

Tighter curlies sometimes get the bristles stuck in their curls=breakage, so they can't brush dry for damage reasons as well as poofy reasons.

I do use my denman brush to distribute my leave-in through damp hair; it's a very gentle brush and I know many curlies use this kind of brush in the shower with conditioner. It doesn't seem any more aggressive than my wide-tooth comb. I can't imagine it's actually the secret to knee-length hair though! That's mostly genes and patience!

Thank-you Roseate. What a good explanation! I was thinking of one of those tightly bristled brushes, not a denman which in my opinion is like the "wide-toothed comb of brushes."

Brushing does ruin my waves, but yeah as you said I do it before washing so it's ok. :)

It seems like different things work for different peoples' hair.

LittleDreamer
November 19th, 2009, 11:52 PM
I brush my hair before I get in the shower to wash it, so it's not that tangled when I get out, well nothing that can't wait till it's dry :)

RancheroTheBee
November 20th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Thank-you Roseate. What a good explanation! I was thinking of one of those tightly bristled brushes, not a denman which in my opinion is like the "wide-toothed comb of brushes."

Brushing does ruin my waves, but yeah as you said I do it before washing so it's ok. :)

It seems like different things work for different peoples' hair.

I was thinking of those brushes, too. That's why I was all clutching my pearls until Roseate clarified that for me.

Dars
November 20th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Yikes, no way for me! I don't own any brushes and would never ever let one touch my hair, let alone when it's wet. Only a wide toothed comb touches my hair (occasionally a normal comb for my fringe only).

Diamondbell
November 20th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Thanks everyone. I am tempted to try it, but am scared of losing hair, so I won't (at least for now) :D

Heidi_234
November 20th, 2009, 12:42 AM
I don't understand why you guys were thinking about a BBB, it can't detangle hair. It just smooths the surface and distributes the oils down the length that way. I personally think a brush is either a Denman or one of those plastic brushes with plastic bristles with the ball on the tip (which is rather hair unfriendly!).

I think that like many other things in hair care, brushing hair wet in the shower (with conditioner preferably!) can work for certain types and textures or hair better than the others. I think those with fine hair would want to avoid this, because wet hair is stretching hair, and stretching hair is possibly snapping and breaking hair, which fine hairs would be prone to more. I certainly feel it on my hair, it seems to be rather vulnerable when wet, and I hesitate to brush it wet.

Also, as mentioned before, from 3a or so and curlier, brushing hair dry is barely an option. One is better off brushing it wet, when the hair is laying straight down rather than dry when it is clumped in tight swirling curls. I think curlies are painfully familiar with this concept, and most do detangle it either in the shower with loads or conditioner or right after, with a leave in product of a sort.

As for the OP - I think the writer of the comment believes that because her hair, or a hair of a person close to her was breaking off when was brushed dry, forcing an early "terminal" length. Once that person switched to less harming method of detangling, the hair wasn't breaking off anymore and grew longer. Hence the belief that brushing in the shower with conditioner makes it grow longer.

Desideira
November 20th, 2009, 01:09 AM
I wouldnt dare to brush it becuse I would be afraid of destorying hari shaft but I do belive that waht is good is massaging and stimulating blod flow in the hair bulbs.

Here is a link to youtube chanell of girl form Japan that have preety long hair and makes awesome haistyle turolials. This link show her routine and she shows here soemethings that she massage her scalp during the shower. I think this is much safer and more gentle then brush especially on wet hair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge6JJUBKfFk

aahavaa
November 20th, 2009, 01:49 AM
I brush right before washing and then once I have shampooed and rinsed I brush wet under running water (without conditioner since I dont use it) .I have tried combing instead and thats when I heard snapping and breaking.
I do use a denman and Im real gentle.Brushing for my hair seems to be a lot gentler than combing.

manderly
November 20th, 2009, 02:35 AM
I brush my hair in the shower when my hair is loaded up with conditioner. ;) I use a denman, not a BBB :confused: though. :)

Cat Lady
November 20th, 2009, 02:46 AM
I brush my hair in the shower when my hair is loaded up with conditioner. ;) I use a denman, not a BBB :confused: though. :)

lol! I actually wasn't thinking a BBB or Denman. I think I only found out about denman brushes in the last week. These are all new concepts to me. I was actually thinking of one of those nasty brushes with plastic ball tips in the end shudder:. In fact I had a horrible vision of someone raking a nasty hair-destroying evil type brush through their hair and ripping and stretching out all the precious strands.

I haven't used a brush to detangle since I found LHC a month or so ago, and found out they are mostly evil. This cat lady is such a noob and has alot to learn :o.

Re: The OP. Did anyone else think the original comment was referring to the scalp needing to be stimulated by brushing for hair to grow longer? (Regardless of whether that is true or not.) That was my impression, but I am most likely wrong.

Diamondbell
November 20th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Here is a link to youtube chanell of girl form Japan that have preety long hair and makes awesome haistyle turolials. This link show her routine and she shows here soemethings that she massage her scalp during the shower. I think this is much safer and more gentle then brush especially on wet hair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge6JJUBKfFk

That was a wonderful link you sent! Thanks Desideira - the brush which the Japanese girl uses for the scalp looks very interesting! And all those updos are great! :D

Desideira
November 21st, 2009, 02:29 AM
That was a wonderful link you sent! Thanks Desideira - the brush which the Japanese girl uses for the scalp looks very interesting! And all those updos are great! :D

I am really happy that you like it too and find it interestingl:D

GoddesJourney
November 21st, 2009, 09:09 AM
I would think combing would be nicer than brushing, but I guess brushing would work too. I think I've done this, many years ago. I had a friend with hip length hair in elementary school that did this. It worked for her because her hair tangled easily. Some people can really only detangle their hair when slippery because it catches and rips if it's dry. I see nothing wrong with this as long as you're careful. I would think it would make me shed a lot, though.

I let the water detangle my hair as I rinse out the conditioner. Combing is a lot easier after that. Only minor tangles are left and mostly its just on the damaged ends.

spidermom
November 21st, 2009, 09:42 AM
Bad idea to brush wet hair ANYWHERE. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I will often brush my hair very carefully before washing it to hopefully reduce the number of hairs that go down the drain and distribute the oils as much as possible. That = good hair care for me.

Keildra
November 21st, 2009, 09:50 AM
I finger comb to work the conditioner in and then let the conditioner sit for about five minutes and then I apply a little bit more conditioner with a wide tooth comb right before I rinse to do some detangling before I get out of the shower. I then proceed to detangle again after I'm out of the shower for styling purposes. Also I detangle my hair dry right before I go to bed and right before I get in the shower to avoid major breakage and damage. I don't mind the poof since it doesn't stay in my hair long, actually my hair seems to feel softer when it's in the poof form.

Diamondbell
November 21st, 2009, 06:06 PM
Re: The OP. Did anyone else think the original comment was referring to the scalp needing to be stimulated by brushing for hair to grow longer? (Regardless of whether that is true or not.) That was my impression, but I am most likely wrong.

I really don't know what the person in the Youtube meant, when she talked about brushing hair in shower, but I would like to think she meant the round flat brushes, just to place on a spot and do a light circular motion with it (not really brush down the hair!( :eek: ) )to stimulate the scalp!! I saw that kind of brush in the link sent by Desideira, in previous page.

Demetrue
November 21st, 2009, 06:32 PM
Maybe she is just massaging her scalp with conditioner in the shower with one of those rubbery scalp massage "brushes", not necessarily brushing out the length with a regular hair brush?