PDA

View Full Version : My ends won't stay down...

Akiko
November 19th, 2009, 09:23 PM
My hair is pretty straight. But for some reason, only the ends won't stay down. Why do they flip up like this? I would like all to point downward. Is there any good way to control/style? Mousse/gel don't seem to work unless I heat style. But I don't want to do that....

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4329&pictureid=55744

ericthegreat
November 19th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Akiko, your ends are flipping out because of how your hair is trimmed. If your ends are held out meaning you flip the ends out when you trim them, then your haircut will follow that shape. If its at all possible, simply in the future ask your stylist to curl your ends under as her she cuts them, you want a pageboy effect where the ends curl under.

Also, if you comb or brush your hair in the typical way by brushing the top side of your hair down to your ends, this will also tend to flip your ends out. Instead, start brushing from the underside of your hair. When you brush your hair under, this is in effect curl your ends under the way you want them to be.

Akiko
November 19th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Oh, I see! I need to ask my DH to curl the ends under when he trims!! Poor guy. He just got another assignment from me.

Yes, I comb the top side of my hair down... I will do the way you explained. Thank you, Eric! :)

SimplyViki
November 19th, 2009, 09:47 PM
FWIW, I love that effect, I think it's very pretty. I think it gives a feeling of life and movement to your hair. :flower:

JCFantasy23
November 19th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Even though the ends bug you, I think you have beautiful long, shiny hair!

Aero
November 19th, 2009, 10:56 PM
I was once very jealous of a long haired friend whose hair did this naturally.

Akiko
November 20th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Thank you so much for kind comments. You are all so nice. I have never been able to figure out why my ends behave so differently from the rest of my hair. I still have quite a bit of breakage along the length. But thanks to LHC, my hair has improved quite a bit since I joined.

Sheltie_Momma
November 20th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Your hair is stunning! Getting the ends "undercut" will help, this generally means the under neath is a tiny bit shorter than the top so the topmost layer folds down and under as it hangs.

enfys
November 21st, 2009, 09:45 AM
How would that figure in with Feye's method? I hate my ends flipping out too.

spidermom
November 21st, 2009, 09:49 AM
In my observation, for what it's worth, ends tend to flip out more with a straight-across blunt cut, which is one reason why I went for the U-cut. Also, my ends are very subtly layered. But that may not work for you as our hair types are so different. I like yours; it's pretty, and the flipping ends don't bother me one bit.

Carolyn
November 21st, 2009, 09:52 AM
I use my hot air round brush on cool to get my ends to flip up like that. My ideal perfect dream hair has ends like the OP's :p

redneckprincess
November 21st, 2009, 03:50 PM
When i was younger I HATED my ends flipping up like that...I grew to rather like them last year when my hair was above my shoulders...now it would be APL if the ends laid straight and I'm starting to not like them again...but I'm thinking I will grow into liking them again..besides my hair is wavier then yours to begin with..yours seems to be ONLY waved at the end and I can see how that can be bothersome..you could try brushing your hair from underneith to curl them in insted..thats what I do sometimes

GoddesJourney
November 21st, 2009, 07:43 PM
I find that brushing my hair makes this happen because it creates static. I heat styled a couple of times and the damage it caused created the flip-out effect as well. Maybe if you back off brushing if you brush and stick to only combing. Just a thought.

Akiko
November 25th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Thank you for all the advice, everyone. I tried combing inward and it seems to work somewhat. I use only a boxwood comb. So combing should not create statics. However, I wear my hair down more often lately since it is cold. Friction against my sweater/coat might cause some statics.

I think I still ask DH to trim underlayer a tiny bit by curling it down so that my hair might behave the way I want. If it does not work, I need to learn to like the way it is. Thank you very much for the compliments. It helps me a lot.

For self-trimmer, I wonder you can cut underlayer shorter by wearing half-up and trimming underlayer a little more after you trim the whole ends. I have not tried that... So I cannnot say it works for sure...

Fethenwen
November 25th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Akiko, your ends are flipping out because of how your hair is trimmed. If your ends are held out meaning you flip the ends out when you trim them, then your haircut will follow that shape. If its at all possible, simply in the future ask your stylist to curl your ends under as her she cuts them, you want a pageboy effect where the ends curl under.

Also, if you comb or brush your hair in the typical way by brushing the top side of your hair down to your ends, this will also tend to flip your ends out. Instead, start brushing from the underside of your hair. When you brush your hair under, this is in effect curl your ends under the way you want them to be.

Wow, that is such great advice! I will so ask for this the next time I need a trim. I love the look of my ends flipping inwards, now my ends are just a big mess :p with layers sticking out in every direction.

elianne
November 25th, 2009, 10:45 AM

Eric, you always have the best advice! (Yay for hair stylists being on LHC! :) ) I have very similar hair to the OP and have the same problem when I trim my hair bluntly across like that... next time I trim I will be sure to ask for the ends curled under. Thanks! :)

yellowchariot
November 25th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Even though the ends bug you, I think you have beautiful long, shiny hair!

I don't have any suggestions, my ends also flip up like Betty Crocker LOL! But I have to agree with JCFantasy23!

Speckla
November 25th, 2009, 12:06 PM
They're waving hello. :)

Canarygirl
November 25th, 2009, 05:28 PM
very good information, everyone. I never knew why my ends did that flipping up thing either. Boy, it was bad back when I had a super-layered pixie cut and all the ends would flip out! :mad: